Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 333 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9961 of 9990 Old 03-29-2014, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd be hesitant to purchase one at this point, even at a great discount. What I'd settle for at this point is a refurb unit - That's how Epson handles it.

S A M 33
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9962 of 9990 Old 03-29-2014, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Good point.

But they can't fix yours. Would you be able to trust their ability on a refurb?
post #9963 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33 View Post

And the adventure continues. less than 3 weeks after I got it back the EXACT same problem has returned.
Back to those geniuses at Mendtronix yet again.

JVC is trying to be reasonable with me, but I'm seriously thinking the RS40 at least is truly a lemon...
Really glad I have my Epson at this point.

S A M 33

A lot, if not all, states have lemon laws. I wonder if the RS40 qualifies. It certainly does based on the number of problems on this thread and the RS45 thread. it's a lemon, that's for sure.

Jack
post #9964 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

A lot, if not all, states have lemon laws. I wonder if the RS40 qualifies. It certainly does based on the number of problems on this thread and the RS45 thread. it's a lemon, that's for sure.

I'm not a lawyer or any other kind of expert but I think consumer electronics lemon laws may apply during the first hurry days of ownership or perhaps even during the full warranty period? Would be interesting to know. I don't think the every unit needs to be considered a problem for an individual one to be considered a problem?

Maybe this is the CA law:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displaycode?section=civ&group=01001-02000&file=1792-1795.8

post #9965 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 AM

Well, mine is now out of warranty, but was still under it when the first trip to Mendtronix happened a little over a year ago.
JVC has made accommodations here, but it's just become very frustrating. I expect a 4000 dollar piece of equipment to run longer than 2 years trouble free.

Even if I was one the hard-core techies here who swaps up for the latest and greatest each year, I'd still be out of luck because I can't sell this one to anybody in good faith now.
All I want at this point is say 2 more years out of it for me to enjoy watching movies in my home theatre. One more time, when it works it's a thing of beauty, it's the best looking projector (out of 5) I've ever owned.
But the ONLY one I've ever had to get serviced. Have sold one Sharp and 2 Sanyos still working after years of operation.
My Epson is so far trouble free after a year (of admittedly light) use, and has a really pretty darn good picture, easily 90% of the JVC's, and I could by 5 replacement bulbs or 15 pairs of 3D glasses for the cost difference.

One thing I'm certain of is that I'll NEVER buy another digital projector without shelling out for the extended warranty. Especially not a JVC, although at this point I'd almost certainly go for a Sony now.
A big part of this is turning out to be their choice of Mendtronix for their warranty service. I can understand that anybody might make a bad unit now and again, but if that happens you want the service experience to be as good as possible.
Epson has a good rep, not sure about Sony's, but JVC is just not measuring up in the service category.

S A M 33
post #9966 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That's very frustrating.

Yep, I find it very strange that JVC doesn't do a better job with these situations. Maybe invoking the words "lemon law" would get them to think again about how they are handling it....
Smarty-pants likes this.

post #9967 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 07:02 PM

I also just got my RS 40 back today from Mendtronix.

This is my second repair in last 2 and a half years.

Out of warranty cost for front IR repair was $240.

New processor board for HDMI problems and lock ups was $449

Total cost for these two most common RS 40 problems after 3 years (with labor, shipping and everything) was $787

I hope it holds up.
post #9968 of 9990 Old 03-30-2014, 10:51 PM

How many hours were you into the projector before it started giving you trouble? I feel fortunate that I've had mine for 2-3 years now with no issues but I'm still only 500 hours into it or so, so I'm concerned it'll be me soon.
post #9969 of 9990 Old 03-31-2014, 05:31 AM

Mine started at probably 550 hours or so - My unit still has under 1000 hours at 3 years, I'm a "weekend watcher" only.
Yes, it might be different if I'd had the thing on 24/7 like a TV, but that's just not the case.

S A M 33
post #9970 of 9990 Old 03-31-2014, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought mine wasgoing to be trouble free after putting a Panamax 4300 power conditioner in the chain. Unfortunately that has not been the case. I've had about four instances of failure since then, the latest being last night. I noticed a very slight flickering in the picture midway through the night of watching and when I went to shut off the projector two hours later it would not respond to my remote control. So I tried the buttons on the back. No luck. My only choice was to pull the plug and let it sit over night. I haven't tried it yet today but I expect it will fire up and shut off when I try. That has been the trend. I loaded software version1.8 about a week ago so obviously that hasn't solved any problems. You would think that JVC and Mendtronics know exactly what the problem is by now and could do a recall for all the projectors. I would also think that AVS, one of their largest dealers I'm sure, is totally aware and could exercise their power to get something done. Come on Alan Gouger, show us what you are made of.

Jack
post #9971 of 9990 Old 03-31-2014, 05:05 PM

Problems started after about 700 hours of weekend use.

So it's out of warranty since it's been about 3years since purchase.
post #9972 of 9990 Old 04-02-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan P. View Post

I have a horizontal "line" that is most visible on the red field test pattern. It's a bit hard to see on the picture, but it looks like 2 darker lines of red right across the middle of the image. Any ideas what that might be? I can't see it on the blue or green fields as much as on the red.

Sent it in to Mendtronix and its a bad optical block as I suspected. I declined the $3600 repair cost. I called JVC to see if they could pick up the cost but they politely said they couldn't since it was a year past warranty. Like some others I'm also a weekend watcher. Got 650 hours on it over three years. The problem is not too noticeable so I can live with it a while until its replaced. I only noticed it when I was going through the service menu test patterns, which I don't do too often. So the issue could've been there a while.

I was hoping to have this thing for a lot longer. The ironic thing about it is, despite it all, JVC is still the best performer in its class. Definitely want at least a three year warranty on the next one. I certainly hope things have improved with their quality for the newer models.
post #9973 of 9990 Old 04-21-2014, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Thought I would post latest weird experience with my wonderful RS40. In the past if I shut off my satellite receiver first the RS40 would lock up and would not respond to either the remote or the buttons on the back for turning off. Nor would it respond to any remote or button command. Therefore I would have to pull the plug and wait overnight. Lately I have had the same problem if after a few hours of watching the picture brightness would start to fluctuate ever so slightly every few seconds and on an inconsistent basis. Then I noticed that if it was stable momentarily it would flicker once if I used the remote. This told me the flickering was not the bulb but the electronics. Then something weird happened. I powered off the satellite receiver and instantly the lens cover closed and the RS40 went through its power down cycle. I'm guessing that the HDMI handshake signal, the going away kind, somehow released the power down command I had given the RS40 minutes earlier but that had not been executed. So that command must have been stored in memory, command jail that is, and released for execution when the HDMI signal went missing. I think this tells me the problem is in firmware and not hardware. Do you think we could get JVC to do another firmware fix that would seem to solve the only remaining problem in the RS40?

Jack
post #9974 of 9990 Old 04-21-2014, 12:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
^You have a better chance of shooting fire out of your butt than JVC fixing the issues with the RS40.
They left end users with a nasty problematic projector that just happens to have great PQ when it works properly.
I doubt I will ever buy JVC again because of my experiences with the RS40.
I'd rather have a projector that has slightly less better PQ but actually works when you need it to.
Not only that, but by the time I can afford to buy another display in a couple years, I can probably buy an 80"+ 4k panel for the same price of a projector.
RADEoN1337 likes this.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #9975 of 9990 Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post

^You have a better chance of shooting fire out of your butt than JVC fixing the issues with the RS40.
They left end users with a nasty problematic projector that just happens to have great PQ when it works properly.
I doubt I will ever buy JVC again because of my experiences with the RS40.
I'd rather have a projector that has slightly less better PQ but actually works when you need it to.
Not only that, but by the time I can afford to buy another display in a couple years, I can probably buy an 80"+ 4k panel for the same price of a projector.

I'm with you on all sides.

Jack
post #9976 of 9990 Old 04-27-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jslaw81 View Post

Hey everyone, I bought a used RS40 and have experienced the following the last couple days:
The issue reported on pg 1 of this thread where the projector seems like it goes into hide mode and becomes unresponsive.

Was there ever a permanent solution for this problem other than unplugging the projector and then plugging it back in and powering it on. I appreciate any help.

Unfortunately, no.
post #9977 of 9990 Old 05-02-2014, 03:07 PM

Liked: 12

i have problems with my rs-40e , i have replaced the scaler board/processor pcb with an version for the x7 and flashed with the rs-40 firmware so far so good . when i power on the pj the green led goes on and the lamp is starting up and i see the lcd panels glowing in red green yellow then the fans goes on and after a few seconds lamp goes out and 2 blinking leds after 60 seconds fans go off. the lamp indicator and warning flashes at the same time. i cant count different flashes so i think it's LED On/Off times 1x wich give error code 8 DDM reset or start error .

what is DDM?? i read in the servicemanual after replacing pwb there must rewritting backup data of old pwb but that thing is destroyed after lightningstrike lol

and where can i found the special setting and adjustment software for readout of the error log via rs-232. in the service manual there's a screenshot showing this tool with the name "Scaler Service Tool V1.10" 

post #9978 of 9990 Old 05-14-2014, 09:45 AM

I can't find the exact reference and characteristic for the replacement of my projector lamp (JVC DLA-X3)
I want to buy a philips lamp without the case.
I ordered one at Lamps&Parts (Germany) and I received a 150W bulb while JVC indicates a 220W power
The reference is UHP 220-150w 1.0 E19.5, do you think that the one I got is good for my JVC?
post #9979 of 9990 Old 05-15-2014, 11:45 PM

I think i misunderstood the 220-150W part of the bulb reference and translate it into 220 Volt-150Watt instead of 220Watt-150Watt,
In which case this lamp is consistent for the X 3.
Does it make sense?
post #9980 of 9990 Old 05-16-2014, 12:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlucun View Post

I can't find the exact reference and characteristic for the replacement of my projector lamp (JVC DLA-X3)
I want to buy a philips lamp without the case.
I ordered one at Lamps&Parts (Germany) and I received a 150W bulb while JVC indicates a 220W power
The reference is UHP 220-150w 1.0 E19.5, do you think that the one I got is good for my JVC?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlucun View Post

I think i misunderstood the 220-150W part of the bulb reference and translate it into 220 Volt-150Watt instead of 220Watt-150Watt,
In which case this lamp is consistent for the X 3.
Does it make sense?

If it the same wattage and looks like the exact same bulb that was in the projector, then it will probably work, but I really have no idea.
If you do try it, please let us know here that it works. I would love to have a cheap replacement bulb option. Some pics would be great too.
Right now I am using a used OEM lamp I found for sale, but who knows how long that could last.
This problematic projector is certainly not worth t he price of a brand new OEM lamp IMHO.
They just burn out way too quickly, no matter what "version" they are.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #9981 of 9990 Old 05-18-2014, 01:15 AM

Here are some pictures of the bulb.
I setup an report when replacing but not immediately because I just switch to high mode and hope that the old bulb will work again some time

post #9982 of 9990 Old 05-22-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

I had the RS40 for over 3 years now on the same lamp. No problems yet, but I only watch a couple of movies on the weekend. Are you saying I am likely to have problems besides having to replace the lamp?
post #9983 of 9990 Old 05-22-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

I had the RS40 for over 3 years now on the same lamp. No problems yet, but I only watch a couple of movies on the weekend. Are you saying I am likely to have problems besides having to replace the lamp?

I have the same concerns. I've had mine about the same time but I only have about 500-600 hours on it. It's worked flawlessly for me so far but it seems like the issues come a couple more hundred hours into usage. So I'm concerned too.
post #9984 of 9990 Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

Define "likely"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yonkers View Post

I have the same concerns. I've had mine about the same time but I only have about 500-600 hours on it. It's worked flawlessly for me so far but it seems like the issues come a couple more hundred hours into usage. So I'm concerned too.

Sure, yes, and most cars are more likely to need service at 50k miles than at 10k miles.

--

Are these projectors the most reliable and trouble free on the market? Probably not. (By definition, only one brand can be so the likelihood of any one brand being it is small.)

But I'd still argue that within the first few thousand hours or first few years of use it is unusual to need service.

Of bigger concern is the fact that there appear to be a few issues that are "the usual thing that happens in the rare event that the projector has trouble" -- which would be something that an extra responsible manufacturer would acknowledge as a manufacturing or design problem and repair even if the warranty has expired.

post #9985 of 9990 Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Define "likely"?
Sure, yes, and most cars are more likely to need service at 50k miles than at 10k miles.

--

Are these projectors the most reliable and trouble free on the market? Probably not. (By definition, only one brand can be so the likelihood of any one brand being it is small.)

But I'd still argue that within the first few thousand hours or first few years of use it is unusual to need service.

Of bigger concern is the fact that there appear to be a few issues that are "the usual thing that happens in the rare event that the projector has trouble" -- which would be something that an extra responsible manufacturer would acknowledge as a manufacturing or design problem and repair even if the warranty has expired.

To the last sentence..........don't hold your breath!

Jack
post #9986 of 9990 Old 05-23-2014, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

My only dislike on this projector is the blurred motion when the camera pans around as well as some 3d ghosting. I guess I would need a dlp to avoid that but wouldn't want to sacrifice the other nice picture aspects like black levels.
post #9987 of 9990 Old 05-31-2014, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone gone way passed the 700 hour mark without any issues? I will check to see where I'm at when I watch a movie today. I wonder if the projector is hooked direct to a blu-ray player and there is no switching the hdmi to another source if this will make it last longer.
post #9988 of 9990 Old 05-31-2014, 04:19 PM

X3/RS40 Firmware Update 1.8

The only place I could find it was on this french site.

Fixed my HDMI lockups, and my issue with having trouble starting the unit shortly after powering down.

Definitely worth the time to update if you are having issues, it only takes a few minutes.
post #9989 of 9990 Old 06-09-2014, 06:46 PM

Liked: 10
Hi,

I am about to buy a second hand JVC DLA-X3 with about 840 hours on the bulb. If I fit a new 003 bulb in it should I expect a reasonable lifetime of the bulb (at least 1000hours) or will the quality degrade after a few hundreds and maybe even pop before 1000.

Does anybody have long term feedback on the latest design of bulb?

Thanks
post #9990 of 9990 Old 06-09-2014, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It should last fine. Please buy a square trade warranty with the projector.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page