Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #9991 of 10020 Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am emerging from the shadows to make my first post in several years and report on my experience with the RS40.

I bought it when they first came out, purchased through AVScience (love you guys!) to replace my RS1 (also an AVScience purchase)

In Feb 2012 the lamp went south at 800 hours and was replaced at no charge by JVC. The new lamp had a different design that seemed meant to dissipate heat better.

A few weeks ago I had a bit of a scare with the lamp warning lights coming on and the projector not powering up so purchased an OEM JVC replacement bulb through AVScience. Pulling the plug, cleaning the filters and giving it a rest brought it back that time. That lamp had run for 1800 hours and I bumped it up to high power mode at about the 1200 hour mark when it started to seem a bit dim.

Now I've got that fresh lamp retina-burning brightness joy back. I measured it with a light meter and saw the measured lumens output quadruple after swapping the lamp. The old lamp doesn't show any "blow-out" like prior lamps have before they go, so it will make a fine emergency backup.

I remain very happy with the projector. It does sometimes get stuck on power-on with the display of the DILA logo/banner, requiring me to yank the power cord to reset it. Other than that it is performing like a trooper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 10020 Old 07-22-2014, 09:21 AM
bub
Advanced Member

What is the latest information on replacement lamps? Are we allowed to talk prices?

I would prefer a bare bulb (no sense paying for the housing is there?), as I have a 003 housing.

Just got 1200 hours on my last 003, not too happy about that but figure it goes with the territory.

If anybody has a 'line' on replacement bulbs, or complete assemblies even, PM me please, thanks.
post #9993 of 10020 Old 07-22-2014, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 134
^Why not just put the info right here in this thread would be nice.
Not happy about 1200 hours?? I would be ecstatic if I got 1200 hours out of my lamp (which yes, that is pathetic :/).

I bought a few USED lamps off of eBay several months ago.
I was told they had around 700 hours each on them, they were the ones with the flapper thingy,
but the first 2 I used did not last long at all. Maybe 300 hours total on both of them, and now using the 3rd one and I don't expect it to last much longer either.
I have seen some of the bare bulbs on eBay too but not sure how good they work, if they are bright enough, how long they last, etc...
I cringe at the thought of paying full price for a new OEM lamp just to have it burn out prematurely too.

The front IR receiver also just went bad on mine about a month ago too.
Keep in mind my RS40 has maybe a total of about 1200 hours on the unit since it was bought new.
I miss the reliability of my old Epson 720p projector. Never again JVC... never again...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; 07-22-2014 at 10:55 AM.
post #9994 of 10020 Old 07-22-2014, 02:21 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Well, I'm looking for either a fair price for a complete setup, lamp and housing, or a source for just the bare bulb. The housing looks to be reusable without worry. I'm still not sure about discussing pricing but if I find something, I will at least report back what I've found.

I'm still open to suggestions.
post #9995 of 10020 Old 07-22-2014, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 112
You may want to check you lamps part number at this site.
http://www.dlplampsource.com/planar-...ment-lamp.html
I have over 1000 hours on the lamp in my planar and it is still like new.. Yes it was the bare lamp installed by the previous owner (forum member) before he sold it to me.

Doug

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9996 of 10020 Old 08-04-2014, 03:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JellyFish666 View Post
hi, helping some of u. sorry for bad english

rs40 service manual for free http://elektrotanya.com/jvc_dla-rs40.../download.html
x3 service manual also free http://elektrotanya.com/jvc_dla-x3-b.../download.html

some service bulletins , use google translate and look at serialnumber in list

something with resistor for hdmi http://www.jvc-chinaservice.cn/jslls/JL-2013-001.htm
3 times blinking of leds http://www.jvc-chinaservice.cn/jslls/JL-2013-002.ht
black picture http://www.jvc-chinaservice.cn/jslls/JL-2013-003.htm (wrong is for other types)
more of hdmi http://www.jvc-chinaservice.cn/jslls/JL-2013-004.htm
and finally fix for remote http://www.jvc-chinaservice.cn/jslls/JL-2013-005.htm

if someone had a better service manual please share, i have a defective PROCESSOR PWB but the schematics are not in the service manual.

greetz from holland
When I try to go on chinaservice site I got a error message (Bad Request (Invalid Hostname))
Please have you an other source for this bulletins?
post #9997 of 10020 Old 08-04-2014, 11:58 AM
bub
Advanced Member

I just received a retail package from a seller on ebay. The retail package for the lamp/bulb is exactly the same as the one I received from AVS. However, there are two pieces of tape covering the bottom opening whereas both this package and my other package only had one piece of tape covering the openings.

If I carefully peel back one corner of the second piece of tape, I can see that the original piece of tape had been carefully cut along the flap edge. So, the package had been opened before. Does anybody have any experience with the retail JVC packages for this lamp/bulb assembly?

I'm leery of getting a used bulb or a bulb with a problem.

The two pieces of tape seem to be exactly the same so it isn't obvious that it was tampered with after it left the factory. But, I don't know how common this tape is or how easy it would be to cover up the fact that a factory piece of tape had been cut and then resealed with more tape.

Thanks guys,
George

I haven't opened the box to check out the lamp, is there a way to look at the lamp and determine any usage? I know I couldn't tell how much usage but would I be able to tell if the lamp had any use at all or brand new?
post #9998 of 10020 Old 08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bub, based on the info you are giving, saying that the "retail box" had been opened and then re-sealed with new tape,
it does sound very fishy. I am assuming the lamp was sold as a "new" item, right?
How much did you pay for it? Buying such things on eBay can be very risky, as even if the package was opened,
and possibly sent you a used bulb, it will be impossible to get your money back if the seller isn't willing to do that.
It would be your word against his.
However, just because the tape doesn't look exactly like it did on a previous package,
doesn't mean it's not done that way from the factory. It could easily be taped "differently" and still be genuine.
You'd have to be really sure it's been tampered with before making that claim.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
post #9999 of 10020 Old 08-04-2014, 02:55 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Hey Dave, the ebay seller assured me that the package I received was in the exact condition they got it. I went ahead and opened the package and found the 003 bulb with the exact marking on the bulb as my previous 2 JVC bulbs. The bulb and 003 enclosure showed no signs of use at all. I think I'm in the clear here. I've asked them if they have more (I was floored by the price I paid).

If they do have more, I will report back.
post #10000 of 10020 Old 08-05-2014, 12:31 AM

Hi,

After losing the front IR receiving my X 3 presents a number of worrisome symptoms.

(1) brief flicker and change of color in the image with refusal of operation of all controls either with the remote or the rear panel buttons on the device.
(2) blocking of the unit on the Logo I-DILA
(3) yesterday evening refusal of ignition without any front panel LEDs flashing.

All these blockages disappear if you unplug the sector and if you leave a little rest.
It reminds me a hardware failure related to the overheating of a component of one of the cards, I am therefore considering replacement
the faulty card but I have the problem to identify the culprit.

My question for those who have had the same defects:
- are you aware of what has been replaced by the ASS?

Another question :

On JVC parts WEB Sales sites I often found 2 references for the same parts.
They are practically identical with the exception of the NP suffix for one of them.
Do you have an idea of what it means?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JVC_LED-IR.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	197241  
post #10001 of 10020 Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerlucun View Post
Hi,

After losing the front IR receiving my X 3 presents a number of worrisome symptoms.

(1) brief flicker and change of color in the image with refusal of operation of all controls either with the remote or the rear panel buttons on the device.
(2) blocking of the unit on the Logo I-DILA
(3) yesterday evening refusal of ignition without any front panel LEDs flashing.

All these blockages disappear if you unplug the sector and if you leave a little rest.
It reminds me a hardware failure related to the overheating of a component of one of the cards, I am therefore considering replacement
the faulty card but I have the problem to identify the culprit.

My question for those who have had the same defects:
- are you aware of what has been replaced by the ASS?

Another question :

On JVC parts WEB Sales sites I often found 2 references for the same parts.
They are practically identical with the exception of the NP suffix for one of them.
Do you have an idea of what it means?
For the previous four or five posts. Have you updated your software? I found that doing an update has substantially lowered the number of incidents described above, including the front sensor for remote control.

Jack
post #10002 of 10020 Old 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
For the previous four or five posts. Have you updated your software? I found that doing an update has substantially lowered the number of incidents described above, including the front sensor for remote control.
Umm, I don't think the FW has anything to do with the IR sensor going bad. That is just simply premature hardware failure.
My unit is up to date with the latest FW and just a couple months ago the front IR went out on mine.
Now I can no longer point the remote at the screen and bounce it off. I have to point backward behind my head at the pj for it to work. POFS :/

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #10003 of 10020 Old 08-05-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
No, I don't.
I will do it, but I am not very confident with this solution.
post #10004 of 10020 Old 08-06-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
Umm, I don't think the FW has anything to do with the IR sensor going bad. That is just simply premature hardware failure.
My unit is up to date with the latest FW and just a couple months ago the front IR went out on mine.
Now I can no longer point the remote at the screen and bounce it off. I have to point backward behind my head at the pj for it to work. POFS :/
Hm.m.m. Have you tried new batteries in your remote?

Jack
post #10005 of 10020 Old 08-06-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Hm.m.m. Have you tried new batteries in your remote?

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #10006 of 10020 Old 09-07-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
problem with my X3

I'm so frustrated with my X3. I purchased this June 2011. I had to replace my lamp 3 times. The first lamp was replaced free by JVC for premature failure. Now I turned on my PJ and the warning and standby indicators are lit solid and middle lamp indicator is flashing, so I purchased another lamp and installed it. After I plugged in the PJ, the standby light is on and then I power it up and after 1 minute the same indicator lights are on. So I reinstalled the lamp and same thing. I also did the remote lamp reset process (back, OK, hide, down button for 3 sec) and the indicator lights flash and then same result. The PJ will not work and the warning/standby lights are solid and lamp indicator continues to flash. Please help
post #10007 of 10020 Old 09-07-2014, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1074 View Post
I'm so frustrated with my X3. I purchased this June 2011. I had to replace my lamp 3 times. The first lamp was replaced free by JVC for premature failure. Now I turned on my PJ and the warning and standby indicators are lit solid and middle lamp indicator is flashing, so I purchased another lamp and installed it. After I plugged in the PJ, the standby light is on and then I power it up and after 1 minute the same indicator lights are on. So I reinstalled the lamp and same thing. I also did the remote lamp reset process (back, OK, hide, down button for 3 sec) and the indicator lights flash and then same result. The PJ will not work and the warning/standby lights are solid and lamp indicator continues to flash. Please help
I'm in the same boat, but at least mine is working.
I also went through multiple short-life lamps, (and sure as hell didn't get a free one from JVC),
and just a couple months ago the front IR sensor stopped working.
Then yesterday the zoom got stuck and wouldn't move more than an inch in both directions.
I finally got it to move eventually, but now I'm scared to zoom it out again and get stuck there permanently.
These projectors are just pieces of sh!t and I will NEVER buy JVC again.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #10008 of 10020 Old 09-08-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
I'm in the same boat, but at least mine is working.
I also went through multiple short-life lamps, (and sure as hell didn't get a free one from JVC),
and just a couple months ago the front IR sensor stopped working.
Then yesterday the zoom got stuck and wouldn't move more than an inch in both directions.
I finally got it to move eventually, but now I'm scared to zoom it out again and get stuck there permanently.
These projectors are just pieces of sh!t and I will NEVER buy JVC again.
I just called JVC support and they said that there is nothing that they can do. They directed me to their authorized repair center, Mendtronix. They told me that the don't know any known issues with premature lamp failure or other major issues with this model and if there was they would have posted this online...bunch of BS!

Is it worth it to send it in?
post #10009 of 10020 Old 09-08-2014, 09:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1074 View Post
I just called JVC support and they said that there is nothing that they can do. They directed me to their authorized repair center, Mendtronix. They told me that the don't know any known issues with premature lamp failure or other major issues with this model and if there was they would have posted this online...bunch of BS!

Is it worth it to send it in?
Wouldn't "worth it" be based on how much it costs to repair it?
Based on some previous posts in this thread, it seems that repair costs are not cheap.
One way to find out would be to call them and ask them how much it would cost.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #10010 of 10020 Old 09-08-2014, 04:59 PM

Well it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. Got a bum bulb like everyone else right outta the box back in 2010. Jtc stepped up for the second bulb that lasted a bit longer. Then I contacted mike at AV sales when the new bulbs with the flapper came out waaaaaaay back on 4/16/12 and got it shortly after.

So what am I blabbering about you may ask?

2900 hours from my #003 issued flapper jvc RS 40 bulb

I'm getting in a visual replace the bulb warning on the screen projected from the JVC. I'm sure the picture has gotten dimmer over the past two years bit I haven't noticed and all of my friends that come over always say how great the picture looks.

Fingers crossed that the next bulb delivers another two years of fun times, great movies, and some football as well

V

Ps Mike I gave you a call about the new bulb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10011 of 10020 Old 09-17-2014, 08:00 PM
JJ7

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by v_1138 View Post
Well it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread. Got a bum bulb like everyone else right outta the box back in 2010. Jtc stepped up for the second bulb that lasted a bit longer. Then I contacted mike at AV sales when the new bulbs with the flapper came out waaaaaaay back on 4/16/12 and got it shortly after.

So what am I blabbering about you may ask?

2900 hours from my #003 issued flapper jvc RS 40 bulb

I'm getting in a visual replace the bulb warning on the screen projected from the JVC. I'm sure the picture has gotten dimmer over the past two years bit I haven't noticed and all of my friends that come over always say how great the picture looks.

Fingers crossed that the next bulb delivers another two years of fun times, great movies, and some football as well

V

Ps Mike I gave you a call about the new bulb.
Wow, 2900 hours is amazing. My original bulb got really dim at ~600 hours, but JVC gave me a rev 3 replacement. I'm approaching 1000 hours now and it still looks great. So it seems like rev 3 / flapper really did address the issue :-)
post #10012 of 10020 Old 09-18-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Even though the premature bulb deaths were a big disappointment, it's nice to know that both AVS and JVC came through. In the end, JVC figured out the problem, AVS took care of it's loyal customers and we JVC lovers can live happily ever after.

It gives me the full confidence to buy my next (would be my 4th) JVC pj through AVS.
post #10013 of 10020 Old 09-18-2014, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Sometimes the lockup issues and perhaps even the front IR failures can be corrected by simply unplugging the projector and leaving it unplugged overnight. It appears that it takes several hours without power for these projectors to fully reset.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com

Last edited by Ron Jones; 09-18-2014 at 06:38 AM.
post #10014 of 10020 Old 09-18-2014, 07:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
Even though the premature bulb deaths were a big disappointment, it's nice to know that both AVS and JVC came through. In the end, JVC figured out the problem, AVS took care of it's loyal customers and we JVC lovers can live happily ever after.

It gives me the full confidence to buy my next (would be my 4th) JVC pj through AVS.
I don't agree with that at all. My bulb blew out at 750 hours.
I contacted AVS where I bought it from and they told me I was SOL.
I tried contacting JVC 3 different times and they NEVER even bothered replying to my inquiries.
With the other issues I have had... freezing, IR failure, and sticking zoom...
This is probably the worst experience I have ever had with any a/v product,
not to mention the most money I have ever spent on a product.
I feel like I was duped into buying a POS for a lot of money, and I'll never buy JVC again.
I guess everyone has their own experiences, but mine was far from good.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
post #10015 of 10020 Old 09-18-2014, 08:42 PM

Liked: 13
I really had a love/hate thing going on with my X3. Loved the image quality, but the reliability, or lack thereof has really forced me to think twice about purchasing JVC again. I've moved to the Sony VPL-HW55, and the biggest upgrade is the peace of mind knowing that when I turn the machine on it'll actually start up. It's the little things...
post #10016 of 10020 Old 09-19-2014, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Sometimes the lockup issues and perhaps even the front IR failures can be corrected by simply unplugging the projector and leaving it unplugged overnight. It appears that it takes several hours without power for these projectors to fully reset.
Pulling the plug to fix RS40 lockups worked for me for a while. After doing that about 20 times ... in my experience, that eventually failed.

Finally I sent my projector in for repair.

Out of warranty cost for a front IR repair was $240.

New processor board for HDMI problems and lock ups was $449

Total cost for these two most common RS 40 problems after 3 years of original purchase (with labor, shipping and everything) was $787

The Mendtronix repair has held up for me well since they fixed everything 6 months ago.

I don't hold my breath anymore hoping that the projector will fire up without problems. That constant uncertainty really took all the enjoyment out of having a home theater.
post #10017 of 10020 Old 09-24-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I have around 700 hours or so. Still running fine, I hope to last a couple of more years so that I can get a decent 4k projector.
post #10018 of 10020 Old 09-28-2014, 05:56 PM

Hi, sm1074. Have you had any luck figuring out the lock up issue? I'm currently having the same issue with my RS40. I just replaced the lamp, but it won't power up. The warning light is solid red and the lamp light is yellow and blinking. Just figured I'd inquire for a solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
post #10019 of 10020 Old Yesterday, 02:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degicank View Post
Hi, sm1074. Have you had any luck figuring out the lock up issue? I'm currently having the same issue with my RS40. I just replaced the lamp, but it won't power up. The warning light is solid red and the lamp light is yellow and blinking. Just figured I'd inquire for a solution. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
I have the exact same problem as you. Bulb popped with around 300 hours on it. Put a new bulb in and nothing but standby and warning light solid red and lamp light blinking Orange. I am out of warranty with jvc but bought the pj with American Express so making use of the 1 year additional warranty. Sending pj to Mendtronix for an estimate. I'll post the results.
Degicank likes this.
post #10020 of 10020 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM

Thank you, johnsmith808, for responding. I look forward to seeing your results.

After researching a little online, I've read about the possibility that the "Ballast PWB" could be the culprit in my situation. Apparently, this part can blow out with the lamp. I'm no expert, but this sounds reasonable considering it is the part that the lamp plugs directly into. If anyone has any input or knowledge about this part, it would be much appreciated.

Also, Does anyone have experience replacing the Ballast PWB? If so, what is the level of difficulty to replace this part? I've built a few desktop PCs and a HTPC, but that's about as far as my level of expertise goes.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I've read so many posts about how the original lamps for the RS40/x3 have burned out quickly. I must have lucked out. I bought my RS40 in 2011 when it was brand new, and my lamp (original 001 lamp) lasted past 3000 hours with minimal dimming that I could detect. However, I did have it running in high mode for the last several hundred hours. I'm now thinking that I should have replaced the lamp prior to it blowing out when I reached the 3000 hour mark. I'm thinking the blow out may have taken the Ballast with it. This is my first time replacing a lamp, so just trying to figure all this stuff out.
johnsmith808 likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page