Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 334 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #9991 of 9995 Old 07-16-2014, 10:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am emerging from the shadows to make my first post in several years and report on my experience with the RS40.

I bought it when they first came out, purchased through AVScience (love you guys!) to replace my RS1 (also an AVScience purchase)

In Feb 2012 the lamp went south at 800 hours and was replaced at no charge by JVC. The new lamp had a different design that seemed meant to dissipate heat better.

A few weeks ago I had a bit of a scare with the lamp warning lights coming on and the projector not powering up so purchased an OEM JVC replacement bulb through AVScience. Pulling the plug, cleaning the filters and giving it a rest brought it back that time. That lamp had run for 1800 hours and I bumped it up to high power mode at about the 1200 hour mark when it started to seem a bit dim.

Now I've got that fresh lamp retina-burning brightness joy back. I measured it with a light meter and saw the measured lumens output quadruple after swapping the lamp. The old lamp doesn't show any "blow-out" like prior lamps have before they go, so it will make a fine emergency backup.

I remain very happy with the projector. It does sometimes get stuck on power-on with the display of the DILA logo/banner, requiring me to yank the power cord to reset it. Other than that it is performing like a trooper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9992 of 9995 Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
bub
Advanced Member

What is the latest information on replacement lamps? Are we allowed to talk prices?

I would prefer a bare bulb (no sense paying for the housing is there?), as I have a 003 housing.

Just got 1200 hours on my last 003, not too happy about that but figure it goes with the territory.

If anybody has a 'line' on replacement bulbs, or complete assemblies even, PM me please, thanks.
post #9993 of 9995 Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 114
^Why not just put the info right here in this thread would be nice.
Not happy about 1200 hours?? I would be ecstatic if I got 1200 hours out of my lamp (which yes, that is pathetic :/).

I bought a few USED lamps off of eBay several months ago.
I was told they had around 700 hours each on them, they were the ones with the flapper thingy,
but the first 2 I used did not last long at all. Maybe 300 hours total on both of them, and now using the 3rd one and I don't expect it to last much longer either.
I have seen some of the bare bulbs on eBay too but not sure how good they work, if they are bright enough, how long they last, etc...
I cringe at the thought of paying full price for a new OEM lamp just to have it burn out prematurely too.

The front IR receiver also just went bad on mine about a month ago too.
Keep in mind my RS40 has maybe a total of about 1000 hours on the unit since it was bought new.
I miss the reliability of my old Epson 720p projector. Never again JVC... never again...

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI

Last edited by Smarty-pants; Yesterday at 10:55 AM.
post #9994 of 9995 Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
bub
Advanced Member

Well, I'm looking for either a fair price for a complete setup, lamp and housing, or a source for just the bare bulb. The housing looks to be reusable without worry. I'm still not sure about discussing pricing but if I find something, I will at least report back what I've found.

I'm still open to suggestions.
post #9995 of 9995 Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You may want to check you lamps part number at this site.
http://www.dlplampsource.com/planar-...ment-lamp.html
I have over 1000 hours on the lamp in my planar and it is still like new.. Yes it was the bare lamp installed by the previous owner (forum member) before he sold it to me.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page