post #10021 of 10029 Old 10-03-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degicank View Post
Thank you, johnsmith808, for responding. I look forward to seeing your results.

After researching a little online, I've read about the possibility that the "Ballast PWB" could be the culprit in my situation. Apparently, this part can blow out with the lamp. I'm no expert, but this sounds reasonable considering it is the part that the lamp plugs directly into. If anyone has any input or knowledge about this part, it would be much appreciated.

Also, Does anyone have experience replacing the Ballast PWB? If so, what is the level of difficulty to replace this part? I've built a few desktop PCs and a HTPC, but that's about as far as my level of expertise goes.

Thanks for your help!

BTW, I've read so many posts about how the original lamps for the RS40/x3 have burned out quickly. I must have lucked out. I bought my RS40 in 2011 when it was brand new, and my lamp (original 001 lamp) lasted past 3000 hours with minimal dimming that I could detect. However, I did have it running in high mode for the last several hundred hours. I'm now thinking that I should have replaced the lamp prior to it blowing out when I reached the 3000 hour mark. I'm thinking the blow out may have taken the Ballast with it. This is my first time replacing a lamp, so just trying to figure all this stuff out.
Okay so I got the estimate back from Mendtronix. The problem was diagnosed to be just as you guessed; the Ballast PWB. The part was listed at $195. They also are fixing my front IR receiver, cleaning optics, filters and testing all functions and updating firmware. The total came out to $495 plus $39 return shipping. That's not bad at all. I'll post again once everything is done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10022 of 10029 Old 10-06-2014, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a question for you guys regarding my RS40. I haven't had any issues other than the first bulb went at 227 hours. No lock ups, no IR issues, no HDMI handshake issues (yet). My second bulb has 492 hours on it. But lately I've noticed black levels have no gradient to them. In dark scenes it seems the black levels are getting crushed and there is no distinction to gradients. That makes dark scenes impossible to view. Bright scenes seem fine. I have calibrated it with the AVSHD disk. I've tried many movies and the dark scenes are all the same - too dark. This is a recent change as previously I could see the darker scenes no problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
post #10023 of 10029 Old 10-06-2014, 11:48 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
Okay so I got the estimate back from Mendtronix. The problem was diagnosed to be just as you guessed; the Ballast PWB. The part was listed at $195. They also are fixing my front IR receiver, cleaning optics, filters and testing all functions and updating firmware. The total came out to $495 plus $39 return shipping. That's not bad at all. I'll post again once everything is done.
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking that I have the same issue. I may try to replace that part myself to save on some money. I'll have to do a little more research, though. It's not such a bad cost, relatively. It's just a pain to dish out for a new bulb, then get hit with another $500+ to get the thing running again. Sounds like you're getting the full tune up. Should be running like a champ!
post #10024 of 10029 Old 10-09-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith808 View Post
Looks like I paid over $250 more than you for the same power board and the front IR receiver repair. Like Joe Pesci once said in one of the Lethal Weapon remakes..."Screwed again in the drive through".

It's really weird that once per month Mendtronix sends me unsolicited "deals" on projector repairs since I got my RS 40 repaired 6months ago.
post #10025 of 10029 Old 10-30-2014, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It's an epidemic

3 days ago front ir sensor stopped working. And now projector is flickering. Lamp is 2nd one with about 600 hours. All this after 3 years of perfect performance.

Why now?

How long was your projector gone at Mendtronics?

Just in case Ron Jones is right I unplugged overnight. Maybe tomorrow morning the nightmare will be over?
post #10026 of 10029 Old 10-30-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked: 176
^ Quite a while back my image would start flickering off and on, drove me just about to the point of insanity.
I tried many things thinking it may be something in my setup, but nothing I did fixed it.
The only thing that would work is running the lamp in high power mode, so that is what I do now.
I am also getting a lot more hours out of the bulb running on high power too.
The previous bulbs ran on low power blew up very prematurely.
I don't really need the brighter image since the brightest setting on low power was sufficient for me,
and I don't like the fan noise, but I don't have much choice.
I'm pretty much waiting for the thing to just stop working all together soon, since that's the only thing left that hasn't broken.

The RS40 is just a lemon if there ever was one. A $5000 item that lasts 2 years, then the problems start piling up. Worst piece of gear I ever bought.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #10027 of 10029 Old 10-31-2014, 02:48 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by console View Post
3 days ago front ir sensor stopped working. And now projector is flickering. Lamp is 2nd one with about 600 hours. All this after 3 years of perfect performance.

Why now?

How long was your projector gone at Mendtronics?

Just in case Ron Jones is right I unplugged overnight. Maybe tomorrow morning the nightmare will be over?
Try to open the side & top cabinets + the shield top and then clean the vent coolings fans & exhaust duct, (every things helping the cooling).
I do this for mine and then the issues have disappeared.
post #10028 of 10029 Old 10-31-2014, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Degicank View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm thinking that I have the same issue. I may try to replace that part myself to save on some money. I'll have to do a little more research, though. It's not such a bad cost, relatively. It's just a pain to dish out for a new bulb, then get hit with another $500+ to get the thing running again. Sounds like you're getting the full tune up. Should be running like a champ!
Got my rs40 back from Mendtronics. Everything is working great. Once I gave then the approval to go ahead with the repair I had the pj back within a week. I thought the whole experience went well. Monique was very helpful.
post #10029 of 10029 Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post
Sometimes the lockup issues and perhaps even the front IR failures can be corrected by simply unplugging the projector and leaving it unplugged overnight. It appears that it takes several hours without power for these projectors to fully reset.
. I must admit that I read Mr. Jones comment about leaving projector unplugged overnight with great skepticism. But I did it anyway and, while my front or sensor still doesn't work, the flicker in the image has resolved and seems to be ok now. Thanks Ron!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page