Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 336 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
post #10051 of 10062 Old 05-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lamp light blinking and warning light lit...PJ won't come on..

Like may fellow RS40/X3 owners, I had been very happy with my AVSF purchase (circa 2011). However, for some reason, the standby light turns green when turned on for about a minute, after which it turns red (along with the warning light) and the lamp light continues to blink. The PJ shutter remains open even after an attempt to shut it down.

Does this mean that it's time to replace the bulb?

Note that:

1. The bulb had < 1000 hours on it (it's sparingly, but regularly used)
  2. There was NO prior lamp life warning prior to the incident
  3. A visual inspection of the bulb failed to reveal anything obvious and the filament looked intact (however that may not be the criteria for a burnout)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10052 of 10062 Old 05-24-2015, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post
Like may fellow RS40/X3 owners, I had been very happy with my AVSF purchase (circa 2011). However, for some reason, the standby light turns green when turned on for about a minute, after which it turns red (along with the warning light) and the lamp light continues to blink. The PJ shutter remains open even after an attempt to shut it down.

Does this mean that it's time to replace the bulb?

Note that:

1. The bulb had < 1000 hours on it (it's sparingly, but regularly used)
  2. There was NO prior lamp life warning prior to the incident
  3. A visual inspection of the bulb failed to reveal anything obvious and the filament looked intact (however that may not be the criteria for a burnout)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. TIA...
I know that you must know that this has been documented many times in this thread. Ante up for a new motherboard or power supply/ballast. As a free alternative before you go to that extreme try loading the latest firmware. You can find that at JVC under the UK region, I think. You need an old Windows PC to do it. Check this thread for these details as it has also been discussed many times.

Jack
post #10053 of 10062 Old 05-25-2015, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
lens position calibration

Will the lens position calibration procedure below work if the projector is not perfectly level and have its light centre axis aligned at 90 degrees to the plane of the screen? So, for example, my x3 is aligned at a slight angle to the screen and I use the feet to get it level to the screen.

Does anyone know if, or how, the lens position gearing can be damaged by using lens shift towards extremes?

Is there any image quality impact from using a slight amount of lens shift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by JonStatt:
If the lens wasn't centered properly at the factory this can be corrected. Move the lens to what you believe it "true centre". Then go into the service menu and select "reset lens data". This will set the new central lens position to wherever the lens is currently. This should then obtain the movement that you require.
I have an idea of how to tell if you have your projector truly set for zero lens shift. I haven't actually tried this, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. First find any test pattern (from the AVS HD Calibration disc or any other test disc such as DVE) where the center of the image is clearly identifed. If you have true zero vertical and horizontal lens shift then as you zoom in and out the center of the projected image will remain at the same point on the screen. If the image center moves up or down you do not actually have zero vertical lens offset and/or if it moves right or left then you do not actually have zero horizontal lens shift. Once you find the vertical and horizontal lens shift settings that keeps the center point of the projected image stationary as you zoom in and out then you have found the correct settings to provide zero lens offset. If you then feel it necessary you should be able to go into the JVC projector's service menu and reset the center point for lens shift to the position you have come up with.

Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work?

Last edited by Sithuk; 05-25-2015 at 05:29 AM.
post #10054 of 10062 Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
I know that you must know that this has been documented many times in this thread. Ante up for a new motherboard or power supply/ballast. As a free alternative before you go to that extreme try loading the latest firmware. You can find that at JVC under the UK region, I think. You need an old Windows PC to do it. Check this thread for these details as it has also been discussed many times.
JackB,

Thanks -- since the problem hasn't been resolved after an upgrade to 1.8, guess it's repair time .

A couple of things to note:

1. The update tool flashed the FW without errors, but it couldn't get the FW version (error 50) (am assuming the update still worked). Has anyone tried getting the FW version (couldn't find anything on the thread)
  2. The tool can be made to work on any 32-bit version of Windows (including 8.1), but requires a little bit of work. If someone is stuck and doesn't have access to Windows XP, drop me a PM
post #10055 of 10062 Old 06-02-2015, 02:08 AM

Has anyone ever experienced the menu not being central on the screen?

There are a number of menu positions that can be set in the options (five?). The centre option is off to the left of centre on my screen, the other options are similarly "offset" to the left of the screen centre.

I have recently updated to the 1.8 firmware.

How do I re-centre the menu positons?
post #10056 of 10062 Old 06-02-2015, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey I haven't been on here in years so I have a question I am sure got answered a while ago that is almost impossible to go back in find now that this thread is long:

I have owned the JVC DLA RS40 since early 2011 shortly after it was released and have not changed the bulb yet. I am one of the few who have not had any major issues with the projector over the years, but now that I have crossed over 2000 hours on the bulb and the picture definitely not as bright as before I am looking to replace the bulb. I see AVS has a bulb listed on their site (http://shop.avscience.com/JVC-PK-L22...amp_p_354.html) which I believe is the compatible replacement bulb for this projector. If I was to buy straight from them would it be the updated bulb with a flap that I have read about over the last few years that supposedly fixes some of the early issues with the projector?

Also I have not updated my firmware on the projector since 2011 when the first firmware was released. I did it running Windows XP on a MacBook Pro through Bootcamp. Of course I now have an updated Retina MacBook Pro which I believe is 64bit. I believe I still have the Windows XP disc so if I was to try to do the same thing do you know if it will work to update the firmware to 1.8? Not sure if someone has tried this already.
post #10057 of 10062 Old 06-02-2015, 01:47 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1767 Post(s)
Liked: 932
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt View Post
Hey I haven't been on here in years so I have a question I am sure got answered a while ago that is almost impossible to go back in find now that this thread is long:

I have owned the JVC DLA RS40 since early 2011 shortly after it was released and have not changed the bulb yet. I am one of the few who have not had any major issues with the projector over the years, but now that I have crossed over 2000 hours on the bulb and the picture definitely not as bright as before I am looking to replace the bulb. I see AVS has a bulb listed on their site (http://shop.avscience.com/JVC-PK-L22...amp_p_354.html) which I believe is the compatible replacement bulb for this projector. If I was to buy straight from them would it be the updated bulb with a flap that I have read about over the last few years that supposedly fixes some of the early issues with the projector?

Also I have not updated my firmware on the projector since 2011 when the first firmware was released. I did it running Windows XP on a MacBook Pro through Bootcamp. Of course I now have an updated Retina MacBook Pro which I believe is 64bit. I believe I still have the Windows XP disc so if I was to try to do the same thing do you know if it will work to update the firmware to 1.8? Not sure if someone has tried this already.
I just now saw this post and I sent you an email right before seeing it. . Yes that is the lamp and yes it is the one with the flapper. As for the update. If it is not broken, do not try to fix. In other words, I would not update the projector, since yours has been trouble free.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #10058 of 10062 Old 06-02-2015, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
I just now saw this post and I sent you an email right before seeing it. . Yes that is the lamp and yes it is the one with the flapper. As for the update. If it is not broken, do not try to fix. In other words, I would not update the projector, since yours has been trouble free.
Ah cool I will definitely purchase a new bulb. As for issues with the projector the only issue I have is sometimes the projector will freeze and I will have to unplug it and replug it back in to get it to be responsive again. This tends to happen when I have the projector on for a long period of time (2+ hours).
post #10059 of 10062 Old 06-02-2015, 09:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 235
^ That is still almost trouble free compared to others.
I would definitely agree with Mike and also recommend that you do not fuss with the firmware at this point.
It could be harmless but at the same time may also let ghosts into the machine to reek havoc, and that would be very bad.

I would also recommend getting that new lamp right away if you are going to get one anyway.
A good thing to do is to actually change the lamp BEFORE the old one burns out.
When a lamp goes out, it can sometimes explode (like it did to me TWICE on my RS40).
Not only that, but if you take out the one that's in use now, you will then have a backup bulb in case your new one dies
prematurely (or at any time for that matter). Then you can put the old one back in until you get another new one.

~Dave

...Theater Room Setup...
JVC DLA-RS40-U... Oppo BDP-105D... Toshiba HD-XA2... Uverse VIP-2250... Roku Streaming Stick... Emotiva XPA-3... Onkyo TX-SR805
JBL LC2 (x3) ... JBL L820 (x6) ... SVS PB10-ISD (x2) ... SVS 20-39-PCI
post #10060 of 10062 Old 06-06-2015, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post
The update tool flashed the FW without errors, but it couldn't get the FW version (error 50) (am assuming the update still worked). Has anyone tried getting the FW version (couldn't find anything on the thread)
In the firmware update troubleshooting instructions at the end of the pdf it says you will get error 50 if you try to get the FW version while in download mode, and that you need to have the projector displaying in normal operation to use the software to report the FW version. So it says. I haven't been able to get mine into normal operation mode yet since updating the FW. Grr.

I just updated my FW to 1.8 after seeing an increase in incidents of the shutdown followed by solid-blink-solid LED issue. First powerup after updating the FW yielded this same problem, so I'm not sure updating the FW is a solution to this particular problem.
post #10061 of 10062 Old 06-18-2015, 11:32 PM

Question 1
I have begun experiencing brightness (or more correctly, luminance) stability issues with my X3. The bulb is an original bulb and has approx 450h on it. Is brightness stability an issue with the v1 bulbs once the hours get to where mine are, or is there likely to be another problem?

Question 2
The lens cover mechanism emits high pitched mechanical squeaks when it opens and closes. Has anyone had a similar issue? Is it straightforward to fix with a bit of dry lubricant on slides or a bearing somewhere internally?
post #10062 of 10062 Unread Today, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just wanted to share here some results of a mostly lock-up free RS40

Basically, I know I need to replace the MB, I have had all the frustrating symptoms that have been noted. The locking up and not responding to any remote inputs, as well as the front IR receiver going out.

Anyway, over the past few months, i have been very diligent and making sure my receiver was both ON, and set to the source input (also being on) I wanted BEFORE turning on the RS40. Since I have started doing this, I have not had one lock up and thus less frustration, and more hours in the basement!

Around the same time I started this new procedure, I put a new bulb in, but I do remember it locking up and not really fixing much other than the brightness, save for one where it locked up upon toggling through inputs.

You might try this procedure before you take it in for service.

Another thought is to try Component Inputs vs. HDMI, My opinion is that this all has to do with HDCP. Has anyone with component inputs had this issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page