Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 338 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #10111 of 10307 Old 02-12-2016, 06:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did the solder flip and it looks like it worked for me. The hardest part was waiting for the soldering iron to heat up. I did trash the end of my 50ft HDMI cable though and had to wait a week for the new one to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10112 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
Hi All:
I picked up an used but in very good condition RS40U for a good price. the owner before me charging the original bulb at 950hrs after some flickering with some OEM lamp and it's at around 650hrs. The image is still looking very good and bright, so I think the lamp is still in good working condition. The previous owner did disclosed to me that the remote is very picky, reading through this thread before purchase, so I know what the problem is. Therefore, as soon as I got the projector home, I opened the IR board and confirmed the capacitor was installed incorrectly just like many others. So, I went ahead and re soldering the capacitor and everything worked very well, the remote is very responsive and I have good pictures and trouble-free for one week! Then last night, after watching for an hour of movies, went upstairs for dinner and came back down to finish the rest of the movie. The projector wasn't turn back on and the three lights, waning light, standby and the Lamp is blinking one at a time, the cover is open and it won't responded to anything of the remote commands. I unplugged the projector, wait for 1/2 hr then plug back in then it works again. However, as soon as I turned off, I won't able to turn it backs on again without going through the same unplug and wait for 1/2 hr. I went ahead and did the factory reset, update the firmware to 1.8...however, the problem is still happened as of this morning. Can someone please tell me if this is the lamp problem or the machine is died? I really love the picture quality of this JVC, compared to my Sony HW20, so really want to fix it if possible.
thank you,
BT
Mine has been good since I flipped the capacitor. I did have lock ups and flickering, but only just a few. The remote is working much better than it ever has.
post #10113 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokapeba View Post
Mine has been good since I flipped the capacitor. I did have lock ups and flickering, but only just a few. The remote is working much better than it ever has.
I confirmed that the remote is very responsive after the flip, just as good as the Sony projector, as I don't know how was it before. However, this lockups is so weird and annoying, I wonder if the lamp is bad? or something else?

post #10114 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 07:58 AM

Can someone please point out for me where and what to order a new 47uf 25V cap that in the IR board? I was wonder if the original cap is fired, so flipping it works for the IR but still have problem with the lockup?
Thanks
BT
post #10115 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Can someone please point out for me where and what to order a new 47uf 25V cap that in the IR board? I was wonder if the original cap is fired, so flipping it works for the IR but still have problem with the lockup?
Thanks
BT
Wonder if this is the same or could work as the replacement?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GZ67eEyQ%3D%3D
post #10116 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Wonder if this is the same or could work as the replacement?

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...GZ67eEyQ%3D%3D
this one looks to be more alike! I'll go ahead and order a few to see if it would fiX the problem.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...8U1i0sDQ%3d%3d

Will update after the fix...However, if someone has any other suggestion, please help!
Thanks
bt
post #10117 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My remote has worked like brand new not just better. I quit disconnecting power after using it since I flipped the capacitor. I have not had any lockups or other problems in about 60 hours of use since the fix. Your bulb could most definitely be going bad. The reason I say this because the few lockups I have had over the years have been when changing sources or inputs or something of that nature. I don't know of very many lockups whike watching a movie or the projector just sitting with the power on. Also, check the bulb and see if it is the latest version with the metal flapper. These bulbs are lasting a lot longer than the previous versions.
post #10118 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejceles View Post
My remote has worked like brand new not just better. I quit disconnecting power after using it since I flipped the capacitor. I have not had any lockups or other problems in about 60 hours of use since the fix. Your bulb could most definitely be going bad. The reason I say this because the few lockups I have had over the years have been when changing sources or inputs or something of that nature. I don't know of very many lockups whike watching a movie or the projector just sitting with the power on. Also, check the bulb and see if it is the latest version with the metal flapper. These bulbs are lasting a lot longer than the previous versions.
I wonder if the new JVC projectors use the bulb with the flapper?

Jack
post #10119 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I'm kind of suspect that the bulb is going bad as well, but the image is very good (when it works) there is no dimming or flickering problem at all. I have not pull out the bulb yet, but really don't know what that metal flapper looks like. The remote is very responsive, I don't have any of that problem at all and the projector is not having any problem with changing sources or inputs. I kind of wonder why the projector just lock up with the power on and will work fine if the power is unplug, very weird. Anyway, I have order a few new capacitor, shipping is more expensive than the capacitor itself! so I will try that first, if it's still not working then I will order the new bulb. Talking about new bulb, can some one please tell me where to order a good, reasonable OEM bulb? The online price is all over the place and can't seem to know what is what....
Thank you,
BT
post #10120 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 03:23 PM

The absolute best place I have found (for new bulb) is right here on AVS. Contact Mike Garrett (Mike@avscience.com). I looked on ebay and other places and found AVS to be the least expensive. This was for a bulb for my older sony. I got a free replacement for my RS40U through JVC. You can tell the newer version 3 bulb by a little then piece of metal attached to it where the airflow comes in. You can search rs40 bulb flapper and it will show you a description. Also, do you have a manual? Sometimes, those flashing lights are in the troubleshooting section and might tell you what is wrong.
post #10121 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 04:03 PM

Quote:
The absolute best place I have found (for new bulb) is right here on AVS. Contact Mike Garrett (Mike@avscience.com). I looked on ebay and other places and found AVS to be the least expensive. This was for a bulb for my older sony. I got a free replacement for my RS40U through JVC. You can tell the newer version 3 bulb by a little then piece of metal attached to it where the airflow comes in. You can search rs40 bulb flapper and it will show you a description. Also, do you have a manual? Sometimes, those flashing lights are in the troubleshooting section and might tell you what is wrong.
I just pulled out the current bulb and yes, it does have the metal screen door (flapper?) so this must be a newer type. Also, I just look at the manual (pg 17) and the flashing lamp light at 1 time interval + warning light (red) + standby on = "lamp does not light up and unit is unable to project". Now, it looks more and more like my bulb is dying or about to die. I'll order one shortly.
thanks
bt
post #10122 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
I just pulled out the current bulb and yes, it does have the metal screen door (flapper?) so this must be a newer type. Also, I just look at the manual (pg 17) and the flashing lamp light at 1 time interval + warning light (red) + standby on = "lamp does not light up and unit is unable to project". Now, it looks more and more like my bulb is dying or about to die. I'll order one shortly.
thanks
bt
OK, just found this blog.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/projector-meltdown/

This is the same problem I'm having right now with the warning light, lamp blinking light and unplug + plug back on after a few min would work fine. I'm just doing the same thing this guy did, order a generic lamp on Amazon for easy return and if it fix the problem then I'll order an OEM bulb from AVS. I'll update everyone when the generic bulb comes.
Thanks
bt
P.s: I also ordered 3 47uf capacitors this morning as I thought the Front IR capacitors went bad, so there goes $12 for nothing!
post #10123 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 07:49 PM

that bulb should be good for way more than 650 hours. Here are some suggestions to try before buying a new bulb.
  • Unplug your projector when you are finished using it for the day.
  • Don't turn it off if you plan to resume watching within 2 hours.
  • Power on your projector first before you power on your AVR and source.
I did these things when I first got mine and rarely had lock up issues. I have mine connected to a panamax surge suppressor so I was able to disconnect power very easily after use. You might be able to live with these workarounds without spending the money on a new bulb that may or may not fix your problem. Now since I flipped the capacitor, I have not disconnected power and have had no lock up issues. I still power on in sequence and leave power on if I plan to resume watching within a couple of hours.
post #10124 of 10307 Old 02-15-2016, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked: 628
^ Yes a lamp should be good for more than 650 hours, but the lamps for this pj are crap (even the ones with the flapper).
Plus there's no guarantee that the bulb that is in his pj actually has only 650 hours on it, since it could have been replaced with a used one.
I have had more than one burn out prematurely, and I sure as hell never got any free replacements from JVC either.
I have also had the exact same issue with my pj, and what he is experiencing is a lamp that is ready to blow.
They can act like they burn out but then still work once they cool and try to be struck again.

I would highly advize not to keep using that lamp, and get a replacement immediately.
The lamp could explode, and if it does your pj will be full of glass bits and mercury.
You can still use the pj just fine after that happens, but you will have a nasty mess to clean up.
Plus, when it happened to me, I was not aware that the bits could fall out of the pj and down on to my theater seating.
Two of my leather theater recliners were ruined because of it. The cushions now look like someone poured acid on them,
and ONLY on the 2 seats that are under the pj.
It took me a long time to figure out why they were splitting and deteriorating, because it didn't show up until months after the bulb exploded.
However it's the only explanation, because all my other seats look just fine.
post #10125 of 10307 Old 02-16-2016, 04:48 AM

Thanks for all the advices. Yeah, 650 hrs on a bulb is very low, I'm very sure that the previous owner was telling the truth as he seems to be a trust worthy person and take well care of his instruments. My old Sony HW20 projector, the first OEM bulb was running for more than 1500 hrs before replaced, but it was not died or blew out, just looked a bit washout. I understand the part about the bulb act like it burns out and won't struck until cool down. However, I don't understand why unplug the machine will make it works again, but would not work when leave it plugged-in? Is the projector still keep the bulb "warm" when plugged-in? Also, the picture is still looking very good, no dimming or washout that I can tell.
post #10126 of 10307 Old 02-16-2016, 04:57 AM

Quote:
that bulb should be good for way more than 650 hours. Here are some suggestions to try before buying a new bulb.
  • Unplug your projector when you are finished using it for the day.
  • Don't turn it off if you plan to resume watching within 2 hours.
  • Power on your projector first before you power on your AVR and source.
I did these things when I first got mine and rarely had lock up issues. I have mine connected to a panamax surge suppressor so I was able to disconnect power very easily after use. You might be able to live with these workarounds without spending the money on a new bulb that may or may not fix your problem. Now since I flipped the capacitor, I have not disconnected power and have had no lock up issues. I still power on in sequence and leave power on if I plan to resume watching within a couple of hours.
Thanks for the tips. Just want to clarify, you just let the projector on (projecting images) if you are planing to resume watching within a few hrs? Is that kind of wasting the bulb's hour and over work the machine? Is there some kind of screen saving you are projecting or just let it projects the blue screen? This is my first JVC projector, I didn't do any of these things with my Sony projector and everything seems to be A-OK with it.
Thanks,
bt
post #10127 of 10307 Old 02-16-2016, 05:22 AM

Yes just left the projector on with movie on pause or tv show still playing. It seems as though that is wasting the bulb life but from my understanding the on and off of the bulb is what shortens its life. And I believe this to be true because I had an outside light in my backyard that I never turned off. I never changed that bulb (regular old school bulb) in the 4 years I lived there. And it stayed on. Most of the reports that I have read on here have been positive on the version 3 flapper bulb. But there are always exceptions.
post #10128 of 10307 Old 02-16-2016, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Yes just left the projector on with movie on pause or tv show still playing. It seems as though that is wasting the bulb life but from my understanding the on and off of the bulb is what shortens its life. And I believe this to be true because I had an outside light in my backyard that I never turned off. I never changed that bulb (regular old school bulb) in the 4 years I lived there. And it stayed on. Most of the reports that I have read on here have been positive on the version 3 flapper bulb. But there are always exceptions.
Yeah, that is one way of thinking...like this bulb....1 million hrs and is still going!

http://www.centennialbulb.org/
post #10129 of 10307 Old 02-18-2016, 03:59 PM

An update and it's not a good news for my projector! The new bulb came today and I'm still having the same problem. The machine is still refused to restart if left plugged-in. However, it will start up and work fine if unplug for half hour or so...less than 1/2 hr won't work neither! I was so hope that the new bulb would solve my problem...so disappointed! I have done the front IR capacitor flip and update the firmware to 1.8.Anyone has any suggestion? Below is my original post for reference:

Hi All:
I picked up an used but in very good condition RS40U for a good price. the owner before me charging the original bulb at 950hrs after some flickering with some OEM lamp and it's at around 650hrs. The image is still looking very good and bright, so I think the lamp is still in good working condition. The previous owner did disclosed to me that the remote is very picky, reading through this thread before purchase, so I know what the problem is. Therefore, as soon as I got the projector home, I opened the IR board and confirmed the capacitor was installed incorrectly just like many others. So, I went ahead and re soldering the capacitor and everything worked very well, the remote is very responsive and I have good pictures and trouble-free for one week! Then last night, after watching for an hour of movies, went upstairs for dinner and came back down to finish the rest of the movie. The projector wasn't turn back on and the three lights, waning light, standby and the Lamp is blinking one at a time, the cover is open and it won't responded to anything of the remote commands. I unplugged the projector, wait for 1/2 hr then plug back in then it works again. However, as soon as I turned off, I won't able to turn it backs on again without going through the same unplug and wait for 1/2 hr. I went ahead and did the factory reset, update the firmware to 1.8...however, the problem is still happened as of this morning. Can someone please tell me if this is the lamp problem or the machine is died? I really love the picture quality of this JVC, compared to my Sony HW20, so really want to fix it if possible.
thank you,
BT
post #10130 of 10307 Old 02-18-2016, 04:08 PM

^ Is the fan running? Do you live in a high altitude area? Sounds like it might be shutting down because of overheating (just a guess).
You could try the high altitude mode which I think runs the fan faster (but louder) and see if that helps.
Another option to try is to leave it unplugged for an extended period of time (at least 8 hours, 24 hours if you can) and see if that helps reset things.
If you put in a new bulb, also be sure to reset the hour counter to -0-. Not sure if that will help, but never hurts to try.
post #10131 of 10307 Old 02-18-2016, 05:38 PM

^ I'm in Washington DC. don't think it's an high altitude area, but Ill try anything now. My problem is not random shutdown, the lamp just won't start, no image and warning light lit up & lamp light blink. However, if I unplug the main power for about 1/2 hour then it work fine, if I leave the power plugged in then it won't start, doesn't matter how long it sat. My current lamp is only 650 hrs and doesn't look dark or flicking at all. This brand new lamp doesn't look any brighter then my current, so I don't think the bulb is dying or going bad. I don't mind unplug the machine after used and I only watch TV one time a night, so it's just a bit inconvenient but not a big deal. However, I'm worry that there is something more majorly wrong with the machine.
post #10132 of 10307 Old 02-18-2016, 06:38 PM

^ Wow, that's weird. I've never heard of that problem with a new lamp, but it sounds like either the lamp is bad or the lamp striker in the pj is bad.
Anytime I have seen your issue, it means the life of the lamp is at it's end point.
Is the lamp supposed to be a factory replacement lamp, or was it a cheaper one bought at a bargain price?
You never know what you're going to get when you buy the cheaper ones. Could be used or lower quality.
Not saying you are trying to deceive anyone or anything like that. I have no idea where or how you got the lamp that you have.
Even if your lamp is perfectly "legit", it could just be defective.

Anyway, here is a good article on lamp knowledge which you may or may not find interesting.
https://www.christiedigital.com/Tech...-Explained.pdf
post #10133 of 10307 Old 02-18-2016, 07:29 PM

^ I bought this bulb from Amazon, it's a generic housing but the bulb is original Philips bulb, which is what I saw stamping on the lamp. The bulb looks brand-new and looks identical to the original bulb with the metal flapper. I have a felling that it's not the bulb but the power supply or (the striker?) don't have enough juice to fire up the lamp, so it gives up. However, I still don't understand why it works again after unplug, but not when plug-in. Man, this projector is a whole class ahead of my old Sony HW20 in contrast and color, but seem like JVC projector not as reliable as the Sony, which is a few years older and have a lot more hours, but is still working perfectly fine.
post #10134 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 10:39 AM

^ Not sure what else to suggest to you other than trying yet another bulb/lamp.
It really is possible that the lamp you bought does not meet the correct specs for this pj, or the bulb is just bad.

I agree that the image the RS40 produces is really nice WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY.
It's too bad that JVC really dropped the ball on this one, and the flaws and lack of functionality of the RS40 is very disappointing to say the least.

One thing I will say, although I am not suggesting to do it, since it could be dangerous to your pj, but...
The Philips bulbs that are supposedly the same or similar bulb to the ones that JVC puts in this pj,
are widely available to buy on the net for cheap prices.
Not sure how much you paid for the one you have, but with the cheap ones you could buy 10-15 of them for the price a dealer charges for an official replacement.
Again I am not recommending using the bulbs, but just sayin, they are out there.
post #10135 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM

Well, before you go spending anymore money be sure and read this entire thread from the time when people started having problems. I have not read the whole thing but I would find it hard to believe that your problem is unique. And see what others have done to repair theirs. And in the meantime, use the work a rounds as suggested and enjoy everything that's good with your new projector.
post #10136 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 PM

^ Well, I found this guy has the same problem and his solution is to take everything apart and found the bad resistor on the ballast. I don't have the skill to do what this guy did, but it's interesting to see if someone has tried it. Will get a new bulb and if the problem is still there, I'll install my Sony back and call it a day!

http://www.fixya.com/support/t249173...power_2_lights
post #10137 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
^ I bought this bulb from Amazon, it's a generic housing but the bulb is original Philips bulb, which is what I saw stamping on the lamp. The bulb looks brand-new and looks identical to the original bulb with the metal flapper. I have a felling that it's not the bulb but the power supply or (the striker?) don't have enough juice to fire up the lamp, so it gives up.
I have the same problem with my newer X30, but in my case replacing the lamp fixed the problem.
Quote:
However, I still don't understand why it works again after unplug, but not when plug-in.
I had to unplug the power cord for each re-start. Sometimes it would work with one restart, but occasionally it takes more than one. I'm not sure how you could restart without unplugging.[/quote]
Quote:
Man, this projector is a whole class ahead of my old Sony HW20 in contrast and color, but seem like JVC projector not as reliable as the Sony, which is a few years older and have a lot more hours, but is still working perfectly fine.
The JVC does seem very "fragile". You could damage it if you swap the HDMI input cables with the power on.
post #10138 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
I have the same problem with my newer X30, but in my case replacing the lamp fixed the problem.

I had to unplug the power cord for each re-start. Sometimes it would work with one restart, but occasionally it takes more than one. I'm not sure how you could restart without unplugging.
The JVC does seem very "fragile". You could damage it if you swap the HDMI input cables with the power on.[/QUOTE]

I have to unplug the main power as well for it to reset the warming lights...what I mean is that I have to unplug and let it sat unplug for about 1/2 hrs then it would start again. If I just unplug and plug it backs and let it sat, it won't start. Or after it has started and I turned off after finished my watching, I have to remember to unplug, if not it won't start the next time...doesn't matter how long it sat plugged in....I'll buy another lamp and give it one more try, it is still not fixed then I'll just going to give up and go back to my Sony until Laser is affordable!

Last edited by btran33; 02-19-2016 at 06:38 PM.
post #10139 of 10307 Old 02-19-2016, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
Or after it has started and I turned off after finished my watching, I have to remember to unplug, if not it won't start the next time...doesn't matter how long it sat plugged in...
That is a real pain, as you can't just unplug it when finished watching - you need to wait for the cooling cycle to complete first.
In my case I don't always need to unplug after watching; half of the time it starts with no problems.
post #10140 of 10307 Old 02-20-2016, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarty-pants View Post
^ Not sure what else to suggest to you other than trying yet another bulb/lamp.
It really is possible that the lamp you bought does not meet the correct specs for this pj, or the bulb is just bad.

I agree that the image the RS40 produces is really nice WHEN IT WORKS CORRECTLY.
It's too bad that JVC really dropped the ball on this one, and the flaws and lack of functionality of the RS40 is very disappointing to say the least.

One thing I will say, although I am not suggesting to do it, since it could be dangerous to your pj, but...
The Philips bulbs that are supposedly the same or similar bulb to the ones that JVC puts in this pj,
are widely available to buy on the net for cheap prices.
Not sure how much you paid for the one you have, but with the cheap ones you could buy 10-15 of them for the price a dealer charges for an official replacement.
Again I am not recommending using the bulbs, but just sayin, they are out there.
Could you post a link to these Phillips bulbs?

Jack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page