Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 341 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 339  340  341
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread
JuanR's Avatar JuanR 03:19 AM 04-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I still have one of those cheap ebay lamps that I purchased for about $40. It produced about 1/3 the light of an original JVC lamp when new. The housing was also not 100% compatible because it was difficult to get it in and out of the projector. It had the v3 flapper. Luckily the seller gave me a refund but didn't ask to ship it back.

I sold my RS40 so if anyone wants this lamp for experiments, you can have it for the cost of shipping ($10 paypal, continental USA, no guarantee, use at your own risk). It has less than 1 hour use. Maybe putting it into an original JVC housing would have helped with brightness?. I never thought of trying that. If you're interested, please post here on the thread. I'll PM the first poster with payment details. Don't PM me directly if you see someone else has already requested it. Thanks.
I'll take it and give it a try.

Thanks
Juan

JackB's Avatar JackB 08:33 AM 04-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanR View Post
I have the Version 2 housing the projector came with....can I modify this one for that $50 bulb or where can I purchase a version 3 housing?

made in China vs made in Japan? did your box state which one?
The box shows no indication of where it was made.
vectorx40 08:54 AM 04-25-2016
MY Philips bulb turned up a few days ago and I fitted it in my original V3 JVC housing and it is definitely as bright as the original bulb.

The old bulb had done 1768 hours and was virtually cracked in half as you can see. Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
Attached: d928cff6-043c-4aa9-abc3-6414038612a4.jpg (66.5 KB) 
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 05:18 PM 04-25-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanR View Post
I'll take it and give it a try.

Thanks
Juan
PM sent. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

I will try to take some pictures of it tonight and post here so others can compare. I could not find any markings on the lamp to identify the manufacturer.
Wizziwig's Avatar Wizziwig 12:51 AM 04-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I still have one of those cheap ebay lamps that I purchased for about $40. It produced about 1/3 the light of an original JVC lamp when new. The housing was also not 100% compatible because it was difficult to get it in and out of the projector. It had the v3 flapper. Luckily the seller gave me a refund but didn't ask to ship it back.
Here is what it looks like. Main difference vs. JVC v3 original is the 2 wires inside the lamp.
Attached: CIMG1791.jpg (101.7 KB)  CIMG1788.jpg (115.3 KB)  CIMG1789.jpg (91.6 KB)  CIMG1790.jpg (97.8 KB) 
JuanR's Avatar JuanR 06:18 AM 04-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
Here is what it looks like. Main difference vs. JVC v3 original is the 2 wires inside the lamp.
Wizziwig, I live in Chicago 60617.
JuanR's Avatar JuanR 01:28 PM 04-26-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorx40 View Post
MY Philips bulb turned up a few days ago and I fitted it in my original V3 JVC housing and it is definitely as bright as the original bulb.

The old bulb had done 1768 hours and was virtually cracked in half as you can see. Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
Was the Philips bulb you purchased the $50 kind?
JuanR's Avatar JuanR 02:24 PM 04-26-2016
Wizziwig, I am going to send you a pm with my info.

Thanks
Juan
Dominic Chan 07:20 AM 04-27-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorx40 View Post
Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
That seems to suggest that some of the V3 JVC lamps do use the Philips bulbs. Mine was like that too, although I wasn't 100% sure since I bought the projector used (but supposedly with the original lamp).
vectorx40 03:44 AM 04-28-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanR View Post
Was the Philips bulb you purchased the $50 kind?
it was the one suggested by Dominic Chan, the link was provided earlier in this thread

I'm so impressed that I ordered another one in a compatible housing as a spare. They are 100 percent genuine Philips lamps from this seller, I checked mine with Philips themselves. I'd rather trust a branded lamp than one of the hundreds of cheap fakes doing the rounds.
vectorx40 03:48 AM 04-28-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That seems to suggest that some of the V3 JVC lamps do use the Philips bulbs. Mine was like that too, although I wasn't 100% sure since I bought the projector used (but supposedly with the original lamp).
I have read that they use Ushio, Philips and Osrem bulbs, Mine was a genuine JVC V3 and apart from a lack of markings on my dead, original bulb, they are visibly identical. Both have two wires in the bulb as well, not one.

Thanks for the link anyway Dominic, saved me a fortune, I'm in the UK and even with shipping and customs it only cost me £50 delivered. I ordered a spare one complete with housing and that came to £70 including international delivery and customs. Considering the cheapest original bulb in a compatible housing is around £200 in the UK I think I've scored an absolute bargain.

The cheapest Philips bare bulb in the UK online is over £100 and the original JVC replacements are £300-£400
BobearQSI's Avatar BobearQSI 11:42 PM 05-14-2016
Hey guys, I have a couple questions. First, this so called "flickering" issue - what exactly does it look like? I just started having issues with my first flapper bulb on my RS40, after about 1000 hours. But I wouldn't call it flickering. What happens is it switches between different levels of dimming. It will go dim, stay that way for a few minutes, then go back. Or it will alternate between different levels of dimness, none being full bright, but it always spends a few minutes at each level.

I just ordered a new bulb, thinking this one could blow any day now, but I'm wondering if this is the "flickering" I see mentioned here. I'll check my capacitor orientation before powering it on again.

Second, I see a lot of mentions of firmware version 1.8, but I can't seem to find this? I googled "RS40 firmware" and all I found was this page:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

It says the RS40 version is 1.5, which I already installed back in 2011. The RS50 and RS60 say version 1.8, but this is the RS40 thread here . . . Is there really a version 1.8 for the RS40, and if so, does anyone have a link?

Thanks.
JackB's Avatar JackB 01:25 PM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
Hey guys, I have a couple questions. First, this so called "flickering" issue - what exactly does it look like? I just started having issues with my first flapper bulb on my RS40, after about 1000 hours. But I wouldn't call it flickering. What happens is it switches between different levels of dimming. It will go dim, stay that way for a few minutes, then go back. Or it will alternate between different levels of dimness, none being full bright, but it always spends a few minutes at each level.

I just ordered a new bulb, thinking this one could blow any day now, but I'm wondering if this is the "flickering" I see mentioned here. I'll check my capacitor orientation before powering it on again.

Second, I see a lot of mentions of firmware version 1.8, but I can't seem to find this? I googled "RS40 firmware" and all I found was this page:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

It says the RS40 version is 1.5, which I already installed back in 2011. The RS50 and RS60 say version 1.8, but this is the RS40 thread here . . . Is there really a version 1.8 for the RS40, and if so, does anyone have a link?

Thanks.
My guess; it's your mb. Check that capacitor.
BobearQSI's Avatar BobearQSI 05:08 PM 05-15-2016
I checked the capacitor, and sure enough it was backwards. Fortunately, the capacitor was still functioning properly, so I put it back in the correct way. No dimming when I turned it back on, though I will have to wait and see, as over the past couple weeks it would go a few days without dimming problems, then a few days with, then without, and so on.

Anyone know about the 1.8 version? I found the official X3 firmware is 1.8. Can/should I install the X3 firmware on an RS40?
Smarty-pants's Avatar Smarty-pants 07:03 PM 05-15-2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
I checked the capacitor, and sure enough it was backwards. Fortunately, the capacitor was still functioning properly, so I put it back in the correct way. No dimming when I turned it back on, though I will have to wait and see, as over the past couple weeks it would go a few days without dimming problems, then a few days with, then without, and so on.

Anyone know about the 1.8 version? I found the official X3 firmware is 1.8. Can/should I install the X3 firmware on an RS40?
As a best guess, (and I have had the issue that is the same as yours), the flickering some are referring
to is the same dimming issue that you are talking about.
When it gets really bad it can go back and forth quickly, thus looking like low level flickering.
Another best guess since it really hasn't been confirmed 100% and probably never will be,
but I think your dimming issue is related to the backward capacitor.
The dimming issue may or may not go away for a while after you shut down or remove power from
the pj for a several hours or overnight, but eventually it returns.
However if you did fix the capacitor issue, I don't think your frequent dimming issues will be back.
JackB's Avatar JackB 07:38 PM 05-15-2016
The X3 1.8 is OK. I used a UK version when I updated mine some time ago. I forgot to mark down the version so I don't know what I'm on. It's too hard to check to see what you have installed.
First ... 339  340  341

Up