Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 341 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 11Likes
post #10201 of 10224 Unread 04-25-2016, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig View Post
I still have one of those cheap ebay lamps that I purchased for about $40. It produced about 1/3 the light of an original JVC lamp when new. The housing was also not 100% compatible because it was difficult to get it in and out of the projector. It had the v3 flapper. Luckily the seller gave me a refund but didn't ask to ship it back.

I sold my RS40 so if anyone wants this lamp for experiments, you can have it for the cost of shipping ($10 paypal, continental USA, no guarantee, use at your own risk). It has less than 1 hour use. Maybe putting it into an original JVC housing would have helped with brightness?. I never thought of trying that. If you're interested, please post here on the thread. I'll PM the first poster with payment details. Don't PM me directly if you see someone else has already requested it. Thanks.
I'll take it and give it a try.

Thanks
Juan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10202 of 10224 Unread 04-25-2016, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanR View Post
I have the Version 2 housing the projector came with....can I modify this one for that $50 bulb or where can I purchase a version 3 housing?

made in China vs made in Japan? did your box state which one?
The box shows no indication of where it was made.

Jack
post #10203 of 10224 Unread 04-25-2016, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
MY Philips bulb turned up a few days ago and I fitted it in my original V3 JVC housing and it is definitely as bright as the original bulb.

The old bulb had done 1768 hours and was virtually cracked in half as you can see. Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	d928cff6-043c-4aa9-abc3-6414038612a4.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1403242  
post #10204 of 10224 Unread 04-25-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
I'll take it and give it a try.

Thanks
Juan
PM sent. Hope you have better luck with it than I did.

I will try to take some pictures of it tonight and post here so others can compare. I could not find any markings on the lamp to identify the manufacturer.
post #10205 of 10224 Unread 04-26-2016, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 877 Post(s)
Liked: 602
Quote:
I still have one of those cheap ebay lamps that I purchased for about $40. It produced about 1/3 the light of an original JVC lamp when new. The housing was also not 100% compatible because it was difficult to get it in and out of the projector. It had the v3 flapper. Luckily the seller gave me a refund but didn't ask to ship it back.
Here is what it looks like. Main difference vs. JVC v3 original is the 2 wires inside the lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1791.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	1405426   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1788.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1405434   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1789.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1405442   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1790.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	1405450  
post #10206 of 10224 Unread 04-26-2016, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Here is what it looks like. Main difference vs. JVC v3 original is the 2 wires inside the lamp.
Wizziwig, I live in Chicago 60617.
post #10207 of 10224 Unread 04-26-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorx40 View Post
MY Philips bulb turned up a few days ago and I fitted it in my original V3 JVC housing and it is definitely as bright as the original bulb.

The old bulb had done 1768 hours and was virtually cracked in half as you can see. Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
Was the Philips bulb you purchased the $50 kind?
post #10208 of 10224 Unread 04-26-2016, 02:24 PM

Wizziwig, I am going to send you a pm with my info.

Thanks
Juan
post #10209 of 10224 Unread 04-27-2016, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorx40 View Post
Apart from a lack of markings on the original bulb the new replacement Philips looks absolutely identical.
That seems to suggest that some of the V3 JVC lamps do use the Philips bulbs. Mine was like that too, although I wasn't 100% sure since I bought the projector used (but supposedly with the original lamp).
post #10210 of 10224 Unread 04-28-2016, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Was the Philips bulb you purchased the $50 kind?
it was the one suggested by Dominic Chan, the link was provided earlier in this thread

I'm so impressed that I ordered another one in a compatible housing as a spare. They are 100 percent genuine Philips lamps from this seller, I checked mine with Philips themselves. I'd rather trust a branded lamp than one of the hundreds of cheap fakes doing the rounds.
post #10211 of 10224 Unread 04-28-2016, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That seems to suggest that some of the V3 JVC lamps do use the Philips bulbs. Mine was like that too, although I wasn't 100% sure since I bought the projector used (but supposedly with the original lamp).
I have read that they use Ushio, Philips and Osrem bulbs, Mine was a genuine JVC V3 and apart from a lack of markings on my dead, original bulb, they are visibly identical. Both have two wires in the bulb as well, not one.

Thanks for the link anyway Dominic, saved me a fortune, I'm in the UK and even with shipping and customs it only cost me £50 delivered. I ordered a spare one complete with housing and that came to £70 including international delivery and customs. Considering the cheapest original bulb in a compatible housing is around £200 in the UK I think I've scored an absolute bargain.

The cheapest Philips bare bulb in the UK online is over £100 and the original JVC replacements are £300-£400
post #10212 of 10224 Unread 05-14-2016, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Hey guys, I have a couple questions. First, this so called "flickering" issue - what exactly does it look like? I just started having issues with my first flapper bulb on my RS40, after about 1000 hours. But I wouldn't call it flickering. What happens is it switches between different levels of dimming. It will go dim, stay that way for a few minutes, then go back. Or it will alternate between different levels of dimness, none being full bright, but it always spends a few minutes at each level.

I just ordered a new bulb, thinking this one could blow any day now, but I'm wondering if this is the "flickering" I see mentioned here. I'll check my capacitor orientation before powering it on again.

Second, I see a lot of mentions of firmware version 1.8, but I can't seem to find this? I googled "RS40 firmware" and all I found was this page:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

It says the RS40 version is 1.5, which I already installed back in 2011. The RS50 and RS60 say version 1.8, but this is the RS40 thread here . . . Is there really a version 1.8 for the RS40, and if so, does anyone have a link?

Thanks.
post #10213 of 10224 Unread 05-15-2016, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
Hey guys, I have a couple questions. First, this so called "flickering" issue - what exactly does it look like? I just started having issues with my first flapper bulb on my RS40, after about 1000 hours. But I wouldn't call it flickering. What happens is it switches between different levels of dimming. It will go dim, stay that way for a few minutes, then go back. Or it will alternate between different levels of dimness, none being full bright, but it always spends a few minutes at each level.

I just ordered a new bulb, thinking this one could blow any day now, but I'm wondering if this is the "flickering" I see mentioned here. I'll check my capacitor orientation before powering it on again.

Second, I see a lot of mentions of firmware version 1.8, but I can't seem to find this? I googled "RS40 firmware" and all I found was this page:
http://pro.jvc.com/prof/support/productupdate.jsp

It says the RS40 version is 1.5, which I already installed back in 2011. The RS50 and RS60 say version 1.8, but this is the RS40 thread here . . . Is there really a version 1.8 for the RS40, and if so, does anyone have a link?

Thanks.
My guess; it's your mb. Check that capacitor.

Jack
post #10214 of 10224 Unread 05-15-2016, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I checked the capacitor, and sure enough it was backwards. Fortunately, the capacitor was still functioning properly, so I put it back in the correct way. No dimming when I turned it back on, though I will have to wait and see, as over the past couple weeks it would go a few days without dimming problems, then a few days with, then without, and so on.

Anyone know about the 1.8 version? I found the official X3 firmware is 1.8. Can/should I install the X3 firmware on an RS40?
post #10215 of 10224 Unread 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobearQSI View Post
I checked the capacitor, and sure enough it was backwards. Fortunately, the capacitor was still functioning properly, so I put it back in the correct way. No dimming when I turned it back on, though I will have to wait and see, as over the past couple weeks it would go a few days without dimming problems, then a few days with, then without, and so on.

Anyone know about the 1.8 version? I found the official X3 firmware is 1.8. Can/should I install the X3 firmware on an RS40?
As a best guess, (and I have had the issue that is the same as yours), the flickering some are referring
to is the same dimming issue that you are talking about.
When it gets really bad it can go back and forth quickly, thus looking like low level flickering.
Another best guess since it really hasn't been confirmed 100% and probably never will be,
but I think your dimming issue is related to the backward capacitor.
The dimming issue may or may not go away for a while after you shut down or remove power from
the pj for a several hours or overnight, but eventually it returns.
However if you did fix the capacitor issue, I don't think your frequent dimming issues will be back.
post #10216 of 10224 Unread 05-15-2016, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

The X3 1.8 is OK. I used a UK version when I updated mine some time ago. I forgot to mark down the version so I don't know what I'm on. It's too hard to check to see what you have installed.

Jack
post #10217 of 10224 Unread 08-15-2016, 01:16 PM

Liked: 12
JVC-RS-40 Lamp 'exploded'...

I purchased my JVC-RS-40 in May of 2011 and had it dealer installed. My projector has worked perfectly, until last night, when the bulb 'exploded', no damage from what I could see after I removed the lamp assembly.

I have read with great interest all the post here in AVS regarding replacement 'lamp bulbs' for the RS-40.

I only noticed my picture dimming over the past couple weeks. I did not look to see how many hours I had on my original bulb (I do know it was a '002'). I plan to check to see how many hours I actually had once I receive a replacement bulb. I will then reset the hours meter.

I have ordered from Mendtronix their part number: MTI-81877: "Cobalt Lamp Assembly with OEM Bulb and New Housing: P/N: PK-L2210U", for $189, with free shipment. I will post a follow-up as to how everything works out.

post #10218 of 10224 Unread 08-15-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron AZ View Post

I purchased my JVC-RS-40 in May of 2011 and had it dealer installed. My projector has worked perfectly, until last night, when the bulb 'exploded', no damage from what I could see after I removed the lamp assembly.

I have read with great interest all the post here in AVS regarding replacement 'lamp bulbs' for the RS-40.

I only noticed my picture dimming over the past couple weeks. I did not look to see how many hours I had on my original bulb (I do know it was a '002'). I plan to check to see how many hours I actually had once I receive a replacement bulb. I will then reset the hours meter.

I have ordered from Mendtronix their part number: MTI-81877: "Cobalt Lamp Assembly with OEM Bulb and New Housing: P/N: PK-L2210U", for $189, with free shipment. I will post a follow-up as to how everything works out.

Welcome to the club. I had two different lamps EXPLODE in my RS40, including the original lamp that had less than 1000 hours on it.
The projector sits directly over my prime seating location, and over time the fabric on the seat deteriorated, cracked, and pealed off.
The fabric is imitation leather, but since they are theater seats, they were not cheap.
The glass dust and mercury from the lamp is what ruined my seat. Now I have a blanket covering the seat since there is no way
to actually replace the modular piece that is no longer made.
So be VERY careful what you do with the projector and broken lamps and how you clean it.
Whatever that dibree gets on, it will ruin it, and not like right away, it will happen of time as it settles in and cuts away slowly but surely.
post #10219 of 10224 Unread 08-15-2016, 06:16 PM

Dave, thank you for your info

I was lucky that almost nothing came out of the bulb itself, it was almost all contained within the bulb, except a couple very small pieces of glass. My projector also is located directly over our first row of seats (main seats for wife & I to watch from)
post #10220 of 10224 Unread 08-15-2016, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I was lucky that almost nothing came out of the bulb itself, it was almost all contained within the bulb, except a couple very small pieces of glass. My projector also is located directly over our first row of seats (main seats for wife & I to watch from)
I also think part of the damage may have come from mercury/glass dust being inside the pj,
and then being pushed out of the vent from the exhaust and down onto the seat.
After the bulb exploded, I did take down the pj and cleaned it out the best I could without taking it apart.
I knew there was still some dust and such inside, but never thought much of it.
I mean the PJ itself is fine, and nothing inside of it was damaged, but I'm talking about a tiny fine bit of dust,
and I think just that was enough to eat away at the seat's covering over a period of time.

It's very strange to look at the seat now. Both seats to the left and right of it are almost pristine condition,
but the seat right under the PJ looks like someone poured acid all over it and just cracked and peeling off.
post #10221 of 10224 Unread 08-15-2016, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
mine exploded after only few hours followed by 3 premature failure bulbs. Now the optical block has malfunctioned. Not very reliable projector if u ask me.
post #10222 of 10224 Unread 08-18-2016, 04:15 PM

Thumbs up Received new projector bulb

I placed my bulb order with Susan at Mendtronix in Poway, CA (north of San Diego) on Monday, Aug 15th about 10am. I received my bulb today, Thursday, Aug 18th at 1pm. The bulb came DHL, it was mailed from Taiwan. I put the new bulb in and WOW it is so much brighter than what I have been watching. I checked and found out I had 1498 hours on the original bulb that came with the projector in 2011. I have reset the 'lamp time' setting. Time will tell if this is a good replacement bulb.

FYI: Mendtronix is the official vendor for JVC repairs. They sell the JVC OEM bulb for $495 with a 90 day warranty, the Mendtronix Cobalt Lamp Assembly with OEM bulb and new housing was $189 and has a 200 day warranty.
Chris Albert and stumlad like this.

Last edited by Ron AZ; 08-18-2016 at 04:30 PM.
post #10223 of 10224 Unread 08-19-2016, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

I placed my bulb order with Susan at Mendtronix in Poway, CA (north of San Diego) on Monday, Aug 15th about 10am. I received my bulb today, Thursday, Aug 18th at 1pm. The bulb came DHL, it was mailed from Taiwan. I put the new bulb in and WOW it is so much brighter than what I have been watching. I checked and found out I had 1498 hours on the original bulb that came with the projector in 2011. I have reset the 'lamp time' setting. Time will tell if this is a good replacement bulb.

FYI: Mendtronix is the official vendor for JVC repairs. They sell the JVC OEM bulb for $495 with a 90 day warranty, the Mendtronix Cobalt Lamp Assembly with OEM bulb and new housing was $189 and has a 200 day warranty.
Thanks Ron, great info as it's hard to know what non-JVC lamps/housing to buy and not risk damage or a degraded image. Keep us posted how it goes!
post #10224 of 10224 Unread 08-19-2016, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 817 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post
Thanks Ron, great info as it's hard to know what non-JVC lamps/housing to buy and not risk damage or a degraded image. Keep us posted how it goes!
As discusseded in the x30 thread, the Philips bare bulbs are a "steal" at ~$65.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP