Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 342 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #10231 of 10238 Old 11-14-2016, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 938 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by hessel holland View Post
Thanks, looking more for wiring info as they look quite different in that regard. Does it matter which wire connects to which connection on the lamp?
For both bulbs, there are two wires, one going to the middle of the reflector, and one going to the end. When replacing bulbs, I always make a note on which goes where, and maintain the same connections.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10232 of 10238 Old 11-14-2016, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That's what I figured. Thanks.
post #10233 of 10238 Old 11-20-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Been thinking of entering the world of projectors (current owner of multiple Pioneer Kuros) and an acquaintance is offering to sell me this projector. Before I make a decision, I'd like to ask a few questions.

What would be a fair price as of now for this model?

Does this model produce a better picture than any of the current entry level projectors in the $500 to $1000 range?

I see mention of B-stock models on this thread. How does one identify B stock models and what are the advantages over the other iteration?

With no ISF controls, how well does this thing turn out after calibration?

What kind of black level measurement can I expect?

What is considered the best budget / bang for your buck screen that brings out the best pq of this projector?

Thanks for your time and patience.

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-141FD
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD x 2
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 x 2
post #10234 of 10238 Old 11-20-2016, 12:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
Been thinking of entering the world of projectors (current owner of multiple Pioneer Kuros) and an acquaintance is offering to sell me this projector. Before I make a decision, I'd like to ask a few questions.

What would be a fair price as of now for this model?

Does this model produce a better picture than any of the current entry level projectors in the $500 to $1000 range?

I see mention of B-stock models on this thread. How does one identify B stock models and what are the advantages over the other iteration?

With no ISF controls, how well does this thing turn out after calibration?

What kind of black level measurement can I expect?

What is considered the best budget / bang for your buck screen that brings out the best pq of this projector?

Thanks for your time and patience.
I can answer a couple of you questions:

1. I offered mine on AVS board for $700 and got no takers. It is not worth any more than that.
2. It offers much better contrast and black levels than low entry projectors.
3. My calibrator did not want to take the time as he felt they were too hard to calibrate.
4. If he offers it cheaply enough make sure it has the V3(?) of the bulb. One with the flapper. Pictures are early in the thread. Secondly, make sure he has had the MB replaced as it had problems. If not ask for MB guarantee for whatever period you feel comfortable with. That being said, I'm sure there are many owners on this thread who have never had a problem with the RS40/X3 and have been very satisfied with it.

Jack
post #10235 of 10238 Old 11-20-2016, 11:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 265
You may be able to get up to $950 on Ebay, but generally $600 to $700 for an RS-40, if you can find a buyer.

For everyone else, here is the Bulb that Dominic Chan recommended on Page 339 of this thread.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111686165674...AIT&rmvSB=true

I bought one of these cheap bulbs for an RS-45, but haven't installed it yet since my official JVC lamp is still going.

My official Version 3 lamp now has about 700 hours on it, and is holding up quite well so far (fingers crossed). Once it dims considerably, then I'll try the bulb dominic is using.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #10236 of 10238 Old 11-20-2016, 11:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's a gorgeous image. I'm a television DP (60 Minutes, documentaries etc) and I'm still blown away years after getting it how good the image is. For $700 it's a crazy steal.

Mine was a b-stock from AVS for $1800 and I thought that was amazing. Original price was around $5k I think. Perhaps buy one of these and wait for 4K laser projectors to come down in price, that's my plane.

I'm projecting on to a 120" 2.35:1 Carada screen.
coderguy likes this.
post #10237 of 10238 Old 11-21-2016, 12:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Albert View Post
It's a gorgeous image. I'm a television DP (60 Minutes, documentaries etc) and I'm still blown away years after getting it how good the image is. For $700 it's a crazy steal.

Mine was a b-stock from AVS for $1800 and I thought that was amazing. Original price was around $5k I think. Perhaps buy one of these and wait for 4K laser projectors to come down in price, that's my plane.

I'm projecting on to a 120" 2.35:1 Carada screen.
I agree if you can actually find one for $600 to $1000, it is a very good buy despite the lamp risks. I mean no NEW projectors even come close to the JVC at that price point.

Here is an ACTIVE auction on a used RS-45 currently at about $650 with 2 days left:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-DLA-RS45...sAAOSwiDFYLH1d

Although for the price it's a crazy steal, the only issue (besides lamps) I have with the JVC's of this generation are how hard calibrating both the RS-40 and RS-45 are as far as drooping gamma over time and yellow cast (at least on the RS-45, not sure about yellow cast on the RS-40). When these older JVC's first came out, most projectors all still had their own unique calibration issues. However, in Today's projector world, most of the newer projectors all come with much better gamma and color and are brighter.

With the RS-40 and RS-45, if you get the gamma issues fixed by using the calibration controls, it generally induces some pixelization and dirtiness to the picture, you have to find a middleground and it's tough on these PJ's. It can be overcome with an external device (Lumagen or HTPC), but then it gets quite complicated still. It can mostly be overcome with the internal controls, but it takes forever and takes hours and hours, and even then it's partly luck based really. Despite the gamma droop and yellow cast, the image it throws is still excellent however.

The best deal going is probably a used RS-49 / RS-4910 / x500 (but most people are asking too much for this PJ used), unless you are BIG into 3D then you are going to have to pony up for the RS-400/500/600 series. IF you can find a used RS-49 for $1500 or less, then that's the JVC to get other than the newer RS-400/500/600 series of course.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Last edited by coderguy; 11-21-2016 at 12:20 AM.
post #10238 of 10238 Old 11-21-2016, 01:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 271
So how does one identify a B stock model? Should I look for a specific serial number / build date?

Pioneer Kuro KRP-500M
Pioneer Kuro PRO-141FD
Pioneer Kuro PRO-111FD x 2
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020 x 2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP