Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 344 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #10291 of 10307 Old 07-28-2017, 09:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1617 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
If the capacitor is responsible for the flickering, could it not also be responsible for the shortened lamp life?
That is quite possible. I had an x30 (RS45) that uses the same lamp and didn't experience problems with short lamp life.
[EDIT] I was thinking of the ballast. As BTRAN pointed out, the IR board should not be the cause of the flicker.

JVC DLA-RS400
HCFR v3.4.x Bug List

Last edited by Dominic Chan; 07-29-2017 at 05:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #10292 of 10307 Old 07-29-2017, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
If the capacitor is responsible for the flickering, could it not also be responsible for the shortened lamp life?
Don't know, but I doubt it as this problem is very much isolate to the IR board. I didn't see any improvement in lamp life after fixing the capacitor; however my machine didn't have problem with flickering, as I changed the lamp when it would be too dim for me but before it would start to flicker and die.
post #10293 of 10307 Old 07-29-2017, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2469 Post(s)
Liked: 1621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic Chan View Post
That is quite possible. I had an x30 (RS45) that uses the same lamp and didn't experience problems with short lamp life.
[EDIT] I was thinking of the ballast. As BTRAN pointed out, the IR board should not be the cause of the flicker.
Wait, earlier in the thread, people were saying that the IR board DOES cause the flicker.

I don't really care about the loss of the front IR sensor (I can bounce the remote signal off my back wall without too much hassle), but I do care about the flicker.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
Curator, Laserdisc Forever

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #10294 of 10307 Old 07-29-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btran33 View Post
this one looks to be more alike! I'll go ahead and order a few to see if it would fiX the problem.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...8U1i0sDQ%3d%3d
Can you confirm that this was the right capacitor and it fit properly?

Josh Z

post #10295 of 10307 Old 08-03-2017, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Well, I'd need to buy a soldering iron.

I guess I'm just concerned that the old capacitor is degraded from being installed incorrectly for so long, and it would be better to put in a fresh one. Is that unfounded?
If you're still waiting, I would recommend when you're done using your projector to unplug the power cable or removing power after letting the projector cool down in the meantime as a temporary fix. I got the X3 model from ebay a couple of months ago (with a 5 hour bulb), and the projector does the flickering locked up after using it for a couple of days. It locked up up again after leaving the projector on standby overnight. The projector seemed to stop locking up once I started unplugging the projector overnight, as some report that lockups tend to occur much less often. Currently at 185 hours on my bulb and I only experienced 1 lock up (For a 5-6 hour session playing pc games where the video signal constantly switches resolutions) during the past 2 months (I haven't applied the fix yet, since I'm frankly have been lazy). If it is necessary, try starting your bluray player last and outputting it once there is a 24hz signal active or when you're playing the movie (I haven't had that issue but some people have reported to doing that to stop lock ups from occurring).
post #10296 of 10307 Old 08-03-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
If you're still waiting, I would recommend when you're done using your projector to unplug the power cable or removing power after letting the projector cool down in the meantime as a temporary fix. I got the X3 model from ebay a couple of months ago (with a 5 hour bulb), and the projector does the flickering locked up after using it for a couple of days. It locked up up again after leaving the projector on standby overnight. The projector seemed to stop locking up once I started unplugging the projector overnight, as some report that lockups tend to occur much less often. Currently at 185 hours on my bulb and I only experienced 1 lock up (For a 5-6 hour session playing pc games where the video signal constantly switches resolutions) during the past 2 months (I haven't applied the fix yet, since I'm frankly have been lazy). If it is necessary, try starting your bluray player last and outputting it once there is a 24hz signal active or when you're playing the movie (I haven't had that issue but some people have reported to doing that to stop lock ups from occurring).
I always unplug my projector after use as a matter of course. Have for years, mostly to prevent anyone else in my house from accidentally turning on the projector by sitting on the remote or something.

Unfortunately, that has really made no difference regarding either lockups (I've had a few) or flicker.

A friend of mine who has more experience with soldering and fixing electronics is scheduled to come over tomorrow night to see if we can get this chip flipped.

Josh Z

post #10297 of 10307 Old 08-04-2017, 01:07 AM

Quote:
I always unplug my projector after use as a matter of course. Have for years, mostly to prevent anyone else in my house from accidentally turning on the projector by sitting on the remote or something.

Unfortunately, that has really made no difference regarding either lockups (I've had a few) or flicker.

A friend of mine who has more experience with soldering and fixing electronics is scheduled to come over tomorrow night to see if we can get this chip flipped.
That's a shame. I figured that I'd I mentioned it since most modern electronics these days are designed to be left in standby mode if used regularly.

I hope it gets fixed. It's still a great projector. For the price that I got my x3 used ($730, although I was able to get half of it refunded after reporting the lock up issue immediately), and from owning a DLP projector (infocus x10), I'd honestly would've rather gone with it than going with an HDR 4K projectors currently or coming soon on the market since I found there isn't enough UHD blu rays or streaming content to justify it, and I find the improvements in black levels more than justifying upgrading to an over 6 year old projector .
post #10298 of 10307 Old 08-04-2017, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor2010 View Post
Hate to tell you boys but you have the dreaded board disease. Could be the backwards capacitor, bad motherboard, or bad ballast. If you like the projector when it works then I suggest you try fixing the capacitor. If that doesn't work call Mendtronix and bite the bullet. Or find another projector. It won't fix itself.

Jack
post #10299 of 10307 Old 08-04-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post
Hate to tell you boys but you have the dreaded board disease. Could be the backwards capacitor, bad motherboard, or bad ballast. If you like the projector when it works then I suggest you try fixing the capacitor. If that doesn't work call Mendtronix and bite the bullet. Or find another projector. It won't fix itself.
I know that my projector has the defect, but I'm not suggesting that he should stick to unplugging the projector as the permanent fix, and I don't intend to keep doing it with that defect in the long term. I'm hoping that it's just the IR board's capacitor is placed backwards and not the motherboard being defective, as I intend on doing the capacitor fix sometime soon, although it hasn't locked up currently under normal use after I did the temporary fix, and people on the forum showed similar issues.
post #10300 of 10307 Old 08-06-2017, 12:52 PM

Well, we did it. Took out the old capacitor and put in a new one in the correct orientation.

I can confirm that this is the correct size capacitor if you wish to replace it entirely (which I did):

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...keyF931E476KNC

So far, I can also confirm that my front IR sensor is working again. Whether this resolves the flicker issues remains to be seen. It generally takes a few hours of use for that to manifest itself.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Removing the Capacitor.jpg (320.0 KB, 207 views)

Josh Z

post #10301 of 10307 Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Just wanted to report I was also successful on fixing my X3 after replacing the ballast - it's back working !! It wasn't as easy as I thought (took me 3+hours), but worked.
post #10302 of 10307 Old 08-28-2017, 06:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Another failure to ignite and flashing light question here. I recently moved 400 miles and now my RS40(I'm posting in both places) won't start. The lights that are showing isn't covered in the manual so I thought I would inquire here. When I hit the power up button the left light turns to green as it should. After 45 sec to a minute both the right and left lights turn to or on to steady red and the middle light flashes orange on-going. It doesn't flash in any sequence. Just keeps flashing at 1 sec intervals.

I tried my backup bulb, which was my previous old but still working, and the result was the same. Anyone have this sequence and figured it out. If you look at the two pages of diagrams in the manual the closest to this sequence is a bulb that has been shaken from movement but it doesn't have a red left light and I would be surprised if both bulbs were broken during the move as they were in separate containers. Any help would be appreciated.

Jack
post #10303 of 10307 Old 09-19-2017, 03:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC RS-40 warning display

Here's a combo unmentioned in the manual. The two red lights on either side solid on, the amber one in the center blinking. A new (non-OEM) bulb doesn't change this. The lens cover stays open. I unplugged it and replugged it, no change. Help!
post #10304 of 10307 Old 09-20-2017, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now I have read the thread to which my query has become attached, but it seems to be about a different problem: Flicker. For which a ballast or a capacitor change is recommended. How to tell which?

To my mind, that the lens cover won't close would seem to indicate a problem beyond the lamp per se.

So still, Help! Please!
post #10305 of 10307 Old 09-26-2017, 09:28 AM

It's been nearly two months since I replaced the capacitor in my RS40. I am happy to report that I have had no flicker since that time. This is a great relief.

I was almost ready to also say that I've had no HDMI lockups, but I unfortunately did experience one last night. To be fair, this came after quite a lot of flipping back and forth between HDMI inputs while I was trying to do a video comparison of two discs. At a certain point, I got stuck with no image on screen, and the projector was unresponsive to commands from the remote. However, simply disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable from the back of the projector immediately resolved this and it worked normally from that point. In the past, I was basically SOL when HDMI lockups happened, and my only resort was to unplug the projector without a proper cool-down. That was not the case last night.

I'm feeling much better about this projector than I have in a long time.

Josh Z

post #10306 of 10307 Old 09-28-2017, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
My RS40 just started the flickering thing... I don't really want to fix it. 500 hrs first bulb, 250 now on the 2nd... I didn't use the projector much, it was one of the stock b projectors from this site/sponsor. Can I get anything for this or should I just throw it in the trash. I gather from posts if working it might be worth 700. Well, I don't call this working, yet it does/mostly if i unplug it for a while. Thinking of posting this on Ebay...min/max.

Also, I'd like to replace it. I loved this projector's image and would be satisfied with a new projector of similar picture quality. What would you suggest.

Thank you,
CB
post #10307 of 10307 Old 09-29-2017, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Beckwith View Post
My RS40 just started the flickering thing... I don't really want to fix it. 500 hrs first bulb, 250 now on the 2nd... I didn't use the projector much, it was one of the stock b projectors from this site/sponsor. Can I get anything for this or should I just throw it in the trash. I gather from posts if working it might be worth 700. Well, I don't call this working, yet it does/mostly if i unplug it for a while. Thinking of posting this on Ebay...min/max.
You'll be a lot more likely to sell it if you turn the IR capacitor around, which would only cost you the price of a soldering iron (~$15) and maybe a new capacitor (~$2) and will very likely resolve the flickering problem.

Even as someone without a lot of experience doing electronics repair, this fix is not terribly difficult.

Here's the article I wrote up about it:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/jvc-projector-repair/

Josh Z

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page