Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post

Mmmm, how about we wait at least 500hours on that lamp and then discuss?

Exactly............I am strongly considering ordering a high power screen. If the brightness stayed like this, it would be GREAT, but that is not going to happen. Of course my 1.78 3d image at 94" will be even brighter than the ~128" image I have to throw for 2.40 which will be great. As amazing as it was last night, I have no doubt that a highpower would take the whole 3d experience to the NEXT level.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

HUGE!!!!

Check a few pages back. I posted pic comparisons from my RS1 to the new X3

I couldn't find it. How far back?
post #1083 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:36 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

Thanks Toe.
Sounds like I will have tio take the plunge!

PS. My name is Tony, as was my fathers, so all my life I have been called Toe to not be confused with my dad. Is Toe your nick name or does it have another meaning ?

That is very cool Tony.

I got this name in highschool...........a buddy of mine snapped a picture of me one day when we were all in a very happy state of mind ( if you catch my drift) which is of me holding my big toe just starring in wonder at it.............. no shirt, long hair, beard............I got labeled "King Toe" from this and it has stuck ever since with this group of friends Ahhhhh........the good old wasted days........not there anymore, but man they were fun

post #1084 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:37 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollon1980 View Post

It's good you guys are not seeing the flicker in 3D because when I demoed it annoyed the hell out of me. I couldn't watch it for longer than 15mins and I was like ok, let's move onto 2D! :-\\

It could very well be that I am just not sensitive to it..........I would strongly encourage everyone to view this for themselves and decide.........VERY glad this is not an issue for me though!

post #1085 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
zombie10k - thanks for the report and the screen shots. They look great. They do however seem to be overly sharp. If these shots are indicitive of what you are seeing in person, you may want to try reducing the sharpness control from 30 to 10. I think I read that the default was 30 so that would explain what I am seeing unless the camera is introducing it. In general I am a sharpness freak but still recommend keeping the sharpness control around 10 and the Detail Enhance control at around 30 (assuming these controls in the RS40/50 work like they do in the RS20). If you try it let us know what you think of the difference.
post #1086 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly............I am strongly considering ordering a high power screen. If the brightness stayed like this, it would be GREAT, but that is not going to happen. Of course my 1.78 3d image at 94" will be even brighter than the ~128" image I have to throw for 2.40 which will be great. As amazing as it was last night, I have no doubt that a highpower would take the whole 3d experience to the NEXT level.

Todd...I am seriously considering using the RS40 exclusively for 3D movies which will keep the bulb life good for quite a while...and just use another good 2000.00 projector for 2D...About the same cost as a new screen for me....(trade offs...trade offs...)
post #1087 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You guys are nuts! Just enjoy the projector and change the bulb when its time!

GO HABS GO!
post #1088 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:42 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Todd...I am seriously considering using the RS40 exclusively for 3D movies which will keep the bulb life good for quite a while...and just use another good 2000.00 projector for 2D...About the same cost as a new screen for me....(trade offs...trade offs...)

Why wouldn't you just buy an extra bulb instead?
post #1089 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:44 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

If you are considering doing that, I would switch roles so to speak............use the RS40 strictly for 2d and grab that Acer for $500 for 3d use that everyone loves so much..........it would be a shame to not use the fantastic 2d abilities of this RS40! I think the best bet though is to use the 40 for both and just get a HP if you can take advantage of it though

post #1090 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjgar View Post

I couldn't find it. How far back?

I guess its more than a few

Page 6

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1296327&page=6

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #1091 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

How often do you plan on changing the lamp on your RS40? If you're already at maximum brightness then you've got no headroom to further open the iris/change to high lamp. I guess you must like it pretty bright, but that's also a large screen: I'm at 112" width 2.35:1 1.5 gain and I can still hit 12-14fL on a 600 hour HD350 (calibrated Mr Elkhunter ) in high lamp, but just over half way open on the iris.

I do like it bright, it's a pretty big screen @ 142". I can see fine, it's just my preference for retina searing brightness when watching movies. I was really spoiled by that little $500 Acer because it's a light cannon and has plenty of lumens to spare. Since I am working on a shelf mount setup, I think I am going to mount both the JVC RS40 and the Acer 5360. My Pioneer SC-07 has dual HDMI outputs, so it will be easy to just decide which projector to turn on.

This way I can watch TV on the Acer, and preserve the JVC's bulb for movies. Even with the quality Verizon FIOS, there isn't much I watch on TV that i'd be missing on the RS40. Plus the Acer bulb is only $125, I'll leave that thing on all the time at that price.
post #1092 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

zombie10k - thanks for the report and the screen shots. They look great. They do however seem to be overly sharp. If these shots are indicitive of what you are seeing in person, you may want to try reducing the sharpness control from 30 to 10. I think I read that the default was 30 so that would explain what I am seeing unless the camera is introducing it. In general I am a sharpness freak but still recommend keeping the sharpness control around 10 and the Detail Enhance control at around 30 (assuming these controls in the RS40/50 work like they do in the RS20). If you try it let us know what you think of the difference.

That is my Nikon Capture editing software converting the RAW NEF to the JPG's, I have to turn down the filter for the conversions. It's quite sharp in person, but definitely exaggerated a bit in those photos. I am not seeing any noticable EE that is standing out.

I will charge the battery on my D90 tonight and take some more photos, the D90 takes excellent RAW images.

All those shots are out of the box, and very close to what my eye is seeing in regard to colors and contrast. The Star Wars was a 720P recording from TV. The blacks look fantastic on it, yet you can still see all the details in the shadows of the control panel Mr. Solo is in front of. So this is what everyone has been bragging about JVC's for all these years.
post #1093 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Kevin........... you are going to love it! I sat there amazed for 1.5 hours tonight and even paused the image a few times just to marvel at what my eyes were witnessing.........amazing we can do this level of 3d in our HTs right now!

This reminds me of something funny that happened during one of the "it is snowing in my HT" moments during this film.........I was watching the snow falling what seemed like right in front of me when I felt my hand tingle and was like WOW, this is good............I then realized there was a spider crawling on my finger and was like WTF!

Oh man I can't wait!! (Oh sh!t I just pee'd!!) Gonna be a GREAT Xmas. (even the wife is starting to get excited!)

I can only imagine watching that in 3D Todd, your senses already in overload, then have an actual spider on you! Yikes!!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #1094 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Congrats dude! Looks like the AVS floodgates have now unleashed for the RS40/50. By this weekend we will probably have at least a dozen more owners posting here too

My understanding Sam was it was more like a "trickle" than any floodgate.

Kevin

post #1095 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

No offense, but I don't think that I can rely on the posts here, and in the RS50 thread, about the JVC's 3D brightness...

Are these posts nothing more than hype from JVC fanboys??? ... How can these posts be true???

Then it dawned on me that these posters have "D65itis". To them, a dim image is acceptable. Not to me. Let there be light.

. . . and . . . good day to you sir (buttplug and all!). You're right 100%... JVC's blow and you should move on to another option!

Kevin

post #1096 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Congrats dude! Looks like the AVS floodgates have now unleashed for the RS40/50. By this weekend we will probably have at least a dozen more owners posting here too

Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately it is more of a trickle right now (I hear they only got about 16 projectors and I'm sure their preorder list runs in the hundreds).

I also just found out that my projector DIDN'T ship yesterday since they were delivered after 5:30.

Now the decision is to pay overnight shipping to enjoy it for the weekend, or not. I'm leaning towards paying the shipping. This wait has just gone on way too long! And I don't think I can take another weekend of hearing you guys talking about your projectors without being able to join you! Avatar 3D is just waiting to be played!

-David
post #1097 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Yes, it is only for 3d. Go into the setup menu and you should find it. Enter your 1.78 diagonal size.

I have a 2.40 aspect ratio screen. It is 55 x 132. What would I enter in the oppo?
post #1098 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknight View Post

Thanks, Sam. Unfortunately it is more of a trickle right now (I hear they only got about 16 projectors and I'm sure their preorder list runs in the hundreds).

I also just found out that my projector DIDN'T ship yesterday since they were delivered after 5:30.

Now the decision is to pay overnight shipping to enjoy it for the weekend, or not. I'm leaning towards paying the shipping. This wait has just gone on way too long! And I don't think I can take another weekend of hearing you guys talking about your projectors without being able to join you! Avatar 3D is just waiting to be played!

-David

Do you really need to ask this question? of course pay the overnight shipping, this addiction cannot be satisfied otherwise.

I had no idea I was in AVS's first batch as well, and recently sourced an RS40 from a local dealer. I asked AVS this morning to pass my projector along to the next person waiting in line, so someone is going to be quite pleased with a phone call today!
post #1099 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Do you really need to ask this question? of course pay the overnight shipping, this addiction cannot be satisfied otherwise.

Already done. I thought for about a half a second when I got the quote and standard overnight just inadvertently came out of my mouth.

-David
post #1100 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I do like it bright, it's a pretty big screen @ 142". I can see fine, it's just my preference for retina searing brightness when watching movies. I was really spoiled by that little $500 Acer because it's a light cannon and has plenty of lumens to spare. Since I am working on a shelf mount setup, I think I am going to mount both the JVC RS40 and the Acer 5360. My Pioneer SC-07 has dual HDMI outputs, so it will be easy to just decide which projector to turn on.

This way I can watch TV on the Acer, and preserve the JVC's bulb for movies. Even with the quality Verizon FIOS, there isn't much I watch on TV that i'd be missing on the RS40. Plus the Acer bulb is only $125, I'll leave that thing on all the time at that price.

Since you plan on having your Acer and RS40 in the same room, on the same screen, how about some side by side screen shots? That is, figure out a way to mask the projectors so that each shows half the image. That way, we can all see how they compare - contrast, color, resolution, detail - at least as much as a camera image of a projection screen can show. Maybe some full screen shots and some closer ones (I realize that the Acer is 720p and the JVC is 1080p). And it would be helpful if you could even out the brightness by setting the JVC iris to match the Acer's light output (if it even can). That would be especially interesting for me because you also have an HP.

BTW, I'm not thinking of canceling my RS40 order for an Acer, no matter what such shots might show. I'm getting really excited about the prospect of re-watching many of my favorite movies on the RS40, and there's no way I could live with the Acer for normal 2D viewing. I just think it would be an interesting exercise, especially given the bang for the buck value the Acer brings to the table.

Just a thought.

Joe Clark

post #1101 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I have a 2.40 aspect ratio screen. It is 55 x 132. What would I enter in the oppo?

You should only consider the center 16x9 portion of the screen, which is 55 x 98 or 112" diagonal (if my calculations are right...)

You don't have any way of stretching 3D content anyway, right? I think I heard that the Oppo doesn't do that, and the JVC definitely does not.

-David
post #1102 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You should only consider the center 16x9 portion of the screen, which is 55 x 98 or 112" diagonal (if my calculations are right...)

You don't have any way of stretching 3D content anyway, right? I think I heard that the Oppo doesn't do that, and the JVC definitely does not.

-David

False. The oppo 93 does vertical stretch for 3D

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #1103 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:

If you are considering doing that, I would switch roles so to speak............use the RS40 strictly for 2d and grab that Acer for $500 for 3d use that everyone loves so much..........it would be a shame to not use the fantastic 2d abilities of this RS40! I think the best bet though is to use the 40 for both and just get a HP if you can take advantage of it though

Yeah, if I don't keep the Sony VW90, I may go that route...if they come out with that converter box...I'll a least check out the acer... Wish I was filthy rich...I'd just keep the Sony and the JVC...
post #1104 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:

Really!! That is awesome. Is there any 2.35:1 3D content out there yet? I'm getting by with my PS3 and its crippled audio for 3D until I figure out what I want to do longer term.

-David
post #1105 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I feel like this must be discussed in advance before everyone starts chiming in with their HP vs Low Gain screen impressions about brightness in 3D, just so there is no confusion about brightness expectations. We must put things into perspective, because we're already starting to see people complain about a possibly dim 3D image EVEN BEFORE they got their own RS40/50 which is so wrong because there has been a half dozen new RS40 owners raving about how good and adequately bright the 3D image is on their low/mid gain screens, while one HP 2.8 owner is saying it's just the right brightness.

The fair conclusions and abservations about 3D brightness should be as follows:
  1. If you are happy with the 2D brightness you are getting out of your current screen in 2D? Then chances are you will be just as happy when you fire up a 3D bluray using the 3D preset on the same type of screen, whether it's 2.8 or 1.x.
  2. If you already have an HP 2.8 or 2.4 screen, then what I see and describe on my 1.1 gain screen will ABSOLUTELY be dim for your likings. Why wouldn't it be? You've been staring at a high performance screen giving you almost TRIPLE the gain of your outgoing lumens, why would you want to downgrade to a 1.x gain screen?
  3. The same will apply for someone who who is more than content with their 1.1 gain screen because maybe it serves another purpose (i.e. Acoustic Transparency). If those people were to switch to an HP screen that will triple their rexisting 1.x gain, they will most definitly not be prepared for the brightness they are about to experience, and may or may not like it because they had been used to looking at a moderate gain screen for years. Personally, I've already taken down the aperture to -5 and sometimes even -8 on my 1.1 gain 9 to 11 ft wide screen, so do the math, if I were to use a an HP 2.8 screen, I would initially be uncomfortable with the brightness that I would probably close the aperture almost all the way down to -10 or even -15

I guess what I am trying to convey here is that it all comes down to PERSONAL preference and taste, and not whatever someone wants people to think is acceptable. That's also in addition to what your eyes had gotten used to the past few years which will ultimately set the level of brightness expectation in 3D, and even 2D. So HP owners will NOT notice a significant boost in 3D brightness, nor will the low gain 1.x owners after you activate the 3D glasses, but at the same time they should expect the same adequately acceptable level of brightness they have gotten used to experience on the same screen.
post #1106 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 09:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Really!! That is awesome. Is there any 2.35:1 3D content out there yet? I'm getting by with my PS3 and its crippled audio for 3D until I figure out what I want to do longer term.

-David

I have quite a few cinemascope 3D movies.

Btw. I watched Despicable me last night and wasnt super impressed by the 3D in the movie but it was good. Honestly it will be a bit disappointing to watch movies in 2D now Be sure to watch the credits at the end. That was the best 3D effects to me with the minions. It was a pretty good movie overall though

Adam

My Theater build
Ribbed for your pleasure
post #1107 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I have quite a few cinemascope 3D movies.

Btw. I watched Despicable me last night and wasnt super impressed by the 3D in the movie but it was good. Honestly it will be a bit disappointing to watch movies in 2D now Be sure to watch the credits at the end. That was the best 3D effects to me with the minions. It was a pretty good movie overall though

Yep I remember the ending credits in the theater. Very cool. Liked the ladder.
post #1108 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Adam, this might be debatable because my Oppo93 and even the Denon 4311 can stretch SOME, but not all 3D scope movies. Have you been successful in every single 3D disc you played? You can still try to stretch 1.78:1/1.85:1 just to check if the v-stretching works. I was unable to stretch Avatar and Open Season in 3D, but I was able to stretch My Bloody Valentine 3D. So go figure...
post #1109 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched Despicable me last night and wasnt super impressed by the 3D in the movie but it was good.

You are the second person who'd said that since I read the Bluray.com review, where they said the 3D effect was more depressed and was more about being naturally dimesional versus the whole in your face or "up to the nose" effect and that they missed out on many shots where 3D could have benefited from. Oh well, I am getting this one for free plus it's a great movie too.
post #1110 of 10031 Old 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I suggest you keep your Acer for 3D. Unless the JVC is literally 10x better then the Sony for 3D then you will be disapointed. I was pretty happy with the Sony for 3D and made a decision not to watch the Acer for a month so that I would have new movies to watch on the Sony when it came. A week later I decided to plug the Acer in again and WOW. The Acer blew my mind again at how much better it was then the Sony. I had that sinking feeling in my stomach like Oh **** I just spent 15x the price on something that is inferior to a little Acer.

Zombie, you asked what scenes showed ghosting in relation to the Sony vs. Acer. I realized pretty much every scene had some form of ghosting or another. Some minor, and some obvious. Anyway I was gonna sell the Sony and just stick to my Acer/epson combo because I was going to move in march and needed to save money, but now Im not moving until the fall so I got's some money I can still spend. I'm getting the RS50 now, and hopefully Im not gonna get slapped in the face twice! The dealer was like naw theirs no ghosting on the Sony, and I pointed out scene after scene to him and he was like "I'll call you latter today when I get info on the JVC". This is my last attempt at going 3D with a non DLP projector. If anything I will just use the JVC for 2D and continue my dual PJ setup.

When I told my dealer that my 500 Acer is better then the Sony, he gave me a look like he wanted to hurt me. I told him if he wants, next time I come over I'll bring it and show him how 3D is supposed to look. Maybe he can become an Acer dealer
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page