Forum Jump: 

post #1201 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

What makes you qualified to give final judgement on anything? What experience do you have with 3D? Some people don't see ghosting because they don't even know what ghosting is or they are totally blind.

I would rather get opinions from someone like me or Zombie who has been using 3D for over a year with different technologies. If you wan't to completely see ghost free images then buy the Acer and throw that into the mix as well. Im also not an ex-disgruntled owner. I have said on many occasions that the Sony is the best 2D projector I have seen, but the 3D is lagging behind and basically broke.

I think the original thread is fine, and even though Trang had 2D issues that I did not (fringing), that wouldn't account for his and mine weak 3D performance.

I would rather take opinions from someone who actually has both projectors...I never claimed to be an expert...as a matter of fact I have said the contrary as to my qualifications...But, as an owner of both, I think it would be alright to start a 3D Sony/JVC owners face off thread...This of course is my opinion but a few others have shown interest as well... Hell, if you are right and this acer is the God of 3D, then I will dump both the Sony and the JVC and buy the converter box, and I'm a richer man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I would rather take opinions from someone who actually has both projectors...I never claimed to be an expert...as a matter of fact I have said the contrary as to my qualifications...But, as an owner of both, I think it would be alright to start a 3D Sony/JVC owners face off thread...This of course is my opinion but a few others have shown interest as well... Hell, if you are right and this acer is the God of 3D, then I will dump both the Sony and the JVC and buy the converter box, and I'm a richer man.

you could still post your thoughts in the existing thread, no need to start a new thread with the exact same topic. Just because you have both side by side is a moot point. It's a better comparison, but still the same topic.
post #1203 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

you could still post your thoughts in the existing thread, no need to start a new thread with the exact same topic. Just because you have both side by side is a moot point. It's a better comparison, but still the same topic.

People got mean spirited on that thread claiming it should be locked since one unit was defective.

Now people are complaining that a new thread shouldn't be started.

Seems to me you can't win either way so do what you want. I look forward to reading what ever opinions get posted in which ever thread.
post #1204 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

The other thread is comparing a RS50...I have the RS40...so for one thing it is a different projector...Hell, I've already lost interest in starting a thread. I'll just play with my toys and PM my buddies on my thoughts and opinions...(safer)...Good night fella's.. Me lady...she beckons me...
post #1205 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:

Me lady...she beckons me...

Dood... TMI... I mean, nice, we're all happy for you, but I really don't want to know about that...
post #1206 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

What problem(s) are you having? Driver v260.99 is completely foobar and I no longer use it. I use v265.xx that you can find links to on the nvidia forums.

With 260.99 I had stability issues; stutters, mutli-desktop issues. Those seemed to have gone away with the 265 versions.

it's not the drivers, I've tried several different drivers with the same results. The JVC projector thinks the resolution that is being sent is 2880x1080. This is 1.5 times the actual resolution, so a 640x480 desktop would register as 1280x480.

This has happened on my GT430 with the RS40 and Petri's 460 on his X7. This is a major bug with the JVC firmware, I have used this card on 1/2 dozen different displays in my house and it's only a problem with the JVC.

I am working with another member in the HTPC forum to do some troubleshooting, there may be a way to spoof the EDID information to the JVC to get around the issue.

I've asked Gary B to send this directly to Japan, this is a firmware bug they need to resolve.
post #1207 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:

The other thread is comparing a RS50...I have the RS40...so for one thing it is a different projector...Hell, I've already lost interest in starting a thread. I'll just play with my toys and PM my buddies on my thoughts and opinions...(safer)...Good night fella's.. Me lady...she beckons me...

Man u guys give up so easy. Were you bullied in school? Do what you wan't, it's just that so many threads get started here with the same topics that it clutters the board and there are too many threads to follow. Anyway, just put the word official when you start your thread and it will be so

I do know that Thrang who started the other thread did have issues in 2D that many did not including me. Why not just start the "official Ultimate 3D comparison thread" where we focus on JUST 3D performance no matter the price or brand of projector. JVC and Sony are out now, but Im sure Panasonic and Epson won't be too far behind.

If you guys wan't I can start this thread or Dogone or whoever. I won't be able to post JVC impression until about a week or more.
post #1208 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hey conan48, I don't know what you were doing in school, but you were not paying much attention to English classes
post #1209 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Jason, are u sure it's not an Nvidia driver issue? 3Dtv play is adding supported displays every few weeks. I'm sure that the JVC will be officially supported soon.

I wonder if I will have issues. My GT430 doesn't even detect the display anyway. It only sees my Onkyo 708 receiver for both the Sony and now the Epson. I haven't had issues yet, and Im hoping that the X7 will work fine for me, because I've also got all my 3D ISO's on my 2TB harddrive and without my HTPC I've got nothing to play. I can't believe I already have over 40 3D BDs, I'm actually having to become selective in what I download as there is so much stuff to get now. I think I have about 10 3D docs about just underwater stuff now Man I love HTPC, except of course when they don't work like theyre supposed to
post #1210 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

is 15ft throw, long enough for a 110' screen on a rs40?

Yes.
post #1211 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Liked: 12
Well, I hope you don't mind the intrusion here because the RS-50 thread is very inactive and I have been getting much more information here, so I'll make my post here.

DAMNSAM: When you made your initial comments on your RS40 after the first viewings in 3D, I was VERY excited, to say the least. My RS50 came today with the emitter and 2 pairs of JVC glasses and 2 pairs of Xpand X103's also came. THE 3D EXPERIENCE IS MIND-BLOWING!!!!!!! I can't believe JVC was able to pull this off to the extent that they did. I see absolutely no ghosting on 16 Blu-rays and the 3D effect on my Elite 150" 1.1 gain screen is better than at ANY theater I have ever been to. This is without a doubt the best home theater purchase I have ever made. And the improvement in picture quality in 2D from my Epson 1080 (not UB) from 2006 is DRASTIC! All of the worries about brightness with 3D can be trashed, there's plenty of light in 3D!

I am in bliss, and those who are waiting for their models to come are in for such a treat your jaw will hit the floor.

As for the glasses, I changed between the Xpand 103's and the JVC and I saw only a slightly brighter image on my screen with the JVC. But the Xpands on their own were fantastic. What I Like about the JVC is they turn on and off automatically. Otherwise I noticed no difference in 3D viewing on my screen. I am also very pleased with the Oppo 93 player, which is awesome, and the 2 HMDI outputs allows me to keep my HDMI 1.3a Denon receiver for now.

HATS OFF TO JVC!!! YOU GUYS ROCK!
post #1212 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 422
post #1213 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetpoet View Post

People got mean spirited on that thread claiming it should be locked since one unit was defective.

Now people are complaining that a new thread shouldn't be started.

Seems to me you can't win either way so do what you want. I look forward to reading what ever opinions get posted in which ever thread.

Ahhhhh, a breath of normalcy...what a relief...
post #1214 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:36 PM

One interesting note in the manual says that

"Note that converting 2D images to 3D using the 3D feature of this product and playing them for commercial purposes or for broadcasting in public places may infringe on the rights of authors protected under copyright laws."

I don't see any 2D to 3D conversion on these models, I wonder why that is printed there.
post #1215 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Jason, are u sure it's not an Nvidia driver issue? 3Dtv play is adding supported displays every few weeks. I'm sure that the JVC will be officially supported soon.

I wonder if I will have issues. My GT430 doesn't even detect the display anyway. It only sees my Onkyo 708 receiver for both the Sony and now the Epson.

The issue is, the JVC thinks the horizontal resolution is 1.5 times the actual output. so 640x480 = 1280x640. 1920x1080=2880x1080 and the project won't sync. I have tried a number of different Nvidia drivers, both the HDMI and DVI port exhibit this behavior. Petri has verified the same problem with his Nvidia 460 and his X7.

This definitely looks like a firmware bug on the JVC. I have asked Gary from JVC to forward my comments to Japan, this looks like it will be easily repeatable. I don't have high hopes it will be fixed, who knows when / if they will fix it.

Your Onkyo 708 is a 3D capable projector with the 1.4 passthrough, my Pioneer SC-07 is only a 1.3 HDMI AVR. I cannot go GT430 -> AVR -> Projector because it won't pass the 3D signal. My current setup with the Acer would have worked perfect. HDMI->Projector, DVI (HDMI Converter) -> AVR for 1.3 HD audio. That's assuming I didn't run into this bug with the JVC.

you shouldn't have a problem, but I have to find a way to fix this. I am going to get the EDID information from the JVC and see if I can find out what is happening here.
post #1216 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntwister View Post

Well, I hope you don't mind the intrusion here because the RS-50 thread is very inactive and I have been getting much more information here, so I'll make my post here.

DAMNSAM: When you made your initial comments on your RS40 after the first viewings in 3D, I was VERY excited, to say the least. My RS50 came today with the emitter and 2 pairs of JVC glasses and 2 pairs of Xpand X103's also came. THE 3D EXPERIENCE IS MIND-BLOWING!!!!!!! I can't believe JVC was able to pull this off to the extent that they did. I see absolutely no ghosting on 16 Blu-rays and the 3D effect on my Elite 150" 1.1 gain screen is better than at ANY theater I have ever been to. This is without a doubt the best home theater purchase I have ever made. And the improvement in picture quality in 2D from my Epson 1080 (not UB) from 2006 is DRASTIC! All of the worries about brightness with 3D can be trashed, there's plenty of light in 3D!

I am in bliss, and those who are waiting for their models to come are in for such a treat your jaw will hit the floor.

As for the glasses, I changed between the Xpand 103's and the JVC and I saw only a slightly brighter image on my screen with the JVC. But the Xpands on their own were fantastic. What I Like about the JVC is they turn on and off automatically. Otherwise I noticed no difference in 3D viewing on my screen.

This is encouraging! I too have a 150" elite screen...Mine is the acoustipro...So I'm feeling relatively comfortable in that purchase about now...
post #1217 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

As for the glasses, I changed between the Xpand 103's and the JVC and I saw only a slightly brighter image on my screen with the JVC. But the Xpands on their own were fantastic. What I Like about the JVC is they turn on and off automatically. Otherwise I noticed no difference in 3D viewing on my screen.

Thanks for the glowing report. The reviews of the 3D performance have been nothing short of reporting fantastic results. I don't think I've seen one owner of the RS40 or RS50 post that they were disappointed with the 3D or had issues with brightness or flicker or ghosting. In fact, its been just the opposite (nothing but high praise). Considering that the reports from CEDIA were mediocre at best regarding the 3D, this is a great turnaround.
post #1218 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_hs10 View Post

is 15ft throw, long enough for a 110' screen on a rs40?

Your screen is 8 ft wide. Acceptable or rather possible throws are between 1.4 times 8 ft and 2.8 times 8 ft.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #1219 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 PM

2nd shipment of RS40's arrived at a West Coast distributor today. Sorry to say it was another limited shipment (less than what was originally ordered, including what arrived in the first order). I guess they will continue to trickle in for a bit.

The great news though is that a dealer who ordered didn't come up with the $$ quickly and my dealer was able to convince them to part with it if he brought the cash today.. So yes I ran to the bank, got him the $$ and am now the proud owner of an RS40, emitter & a pair o' JVC glasses. Sounds like the glasses are almost as hard to get as the projectors! They only wanted to sell 1 per projector, I was lucky to get them to give up a 2nd pair.

Anyways, no impressions from me for a day or two.. I need some time to tweak the settings and to run out and get a 3D movie tomorrow (didn't think I'd have the RS40 this soon, so I was caught unprepared).

I'll have to go back & check through this thread, fingers crossed someone has posted some good initial settings? If not, I'd love to hear from other owners!
post #1220 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

I don't think I've seen one owner of the RS40 or RS50 post that they were disappointed with the 3D or had issues with brightness or flicker or ghosting. In fact, its been just the opposite (nothing but high praise). Considering that the reports from CEDIA were mediocre at best regarding the 3D, this is a great turnaround.

I think the mob chased out the guy chastising those who were pleased with the brightness on large, low gain screens.

Rob (Mntwister) is pleased with the brightness on a 1.1 gain 150 screen. I have the wick turned up (aperture 0), bulb on high, and I feel it's just bright enough for my preferences on the 142" 2.8 HP with the projector dead center on axis.

pretty large difference of opinions no doubt. I think one thing is certain, if you ask 10 people what they think is bright, you'll get 10 different answers. The HP owners are in a cult of all their own, and AVS member 'Tryg' is our leader.
post #1221 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:

This is encouraging! I too have a 150" elite screen...Mine is the acoustipro...So I'm feeling relatively comfortable in that purchase about now...

Dogone, you will not believe what this looks like on the 150" Elite screen. Mine is the maxwhite, the cheap model ($300) and I am absolutely blown away. You can feel completely comfortable with this purchase, it's the best 3D I have ever viewed and the picture quality on 2D is nothing short of stunning!!!!!!

Not sure what the acoustipro is, my screen has a 1.1 gain and is maxwhite and it's just gorgeous. The 3D blew my parents away-2 hours later after viewing the Samsung triple feature Imax disc, they were still talking about it. They tried reaching out to touch objects:-) The 150" screen is perfect!
post #1222 of 9995 Old 12-16-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the glowing report. The reviews of the 3D performance have been nothing short of reporting fantastic results. I don't think I've seen one owner of the RS40 or RS50 post that they were disappointed with the 3D or had issues with brightness or flicker or ghosting. In fact, its been just the opposite (nothing but high praise). Considering that the reports from CEDIA were mediocre at best regarding the 3D, this is a great turnaround.

Any negative reports of these models and concerns about brightness, in my humble opinion, can be trashed. The final product is nothing short of AWESOME! To heck with the 47" and 55" flat panels, this is what 3D is all about!
post #1223 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

As a 10 year CRT FP owner (until I sold my home in 2008... new HT in my new home still in progress)... I'm used to a not-so-bright image.

That said, I've viewed several other HT's over the years... some with light cannons and some with CRT's. I've also viewed countless Home Theater showroom setups with LCD's and DLP's of varying brightness.

I must say that while really bright images do "pop" and look stunning at first, my observation is that beyond a certain point the excessive brightness causes problems.

You see, at some point the brightness begins to illuminate the room, the floor, the seats, my drink, and the tip of my nose. These things can be distracting, even when the walls (and seats, etc.) are black. I also observe that the apparent "depth" of the image (some say that 2D content appears 3D like with a good CRT setup) is reduced when parts of the room are visible.

With a less-bright image the room (and screen wall) can be invisible.

Just my observation. I agree with the opinion that 10 different people will have 10 different brightness preferences, but I do think that there is a point where too bright can cause other issues.

Paul
post #1224 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

is anyone else noticing a lengthy handshaking processing with the projector? My popcorn hour C200's main screen is sync'd @ 60hz and will switch to 24hz when it senses the resolution of the file I am playing back. It's taking quite a while to go from one mode to the other, something like 6-8 seconds.

I've had the C200 on my old Mitsubishi 3LCD, the Acer, Samsung LCD and my Panasonic Plasma, they all sync much faster than the RS40.
post #1225 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 01:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone noticed the bulb start to dim now they have clocked up a few hours? I am up to 70 hours and I can see it is not quite as bright as it was. It is still okay in 3D but I wouldn't want to step down the aperture already. I mean I could step the aperture down and it would still be watchable..but I wouldn't want to. I am getting a bit nervous how it will be on my screen material at 300 hours. I think a new screen will be in order next year.

People who keep reporting how wonderful and bright it is, can I ask you to hold reseveration until you have a couple of hundred hours on the projector or at least report the number of hours you have so far and then update us if it changes? None of us know yet how this new bulb ages with time. I really hope it is vastly improved on the previous models.
post #1226 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 AM

Quote:

THE 3D EXPERIENCE IS MIND-BLOWING![/color][/b]!!!!!! I can't believe JVC was able to pull this off to the extent that they did. I see absolutely no ghosting on 16 Blu-rays and the 3D effect on my Elite 150" 1.1 gain screen is better than at ANY theater I have ever been to.

I am a little surprised that you have seen absolutely no ghosting as I have seen it clearly on a pre-production and production model, albeit an X7/RS50.

I have seen it every time on the Disney fireworks/castle intro screen, if you look at the far left turret there is clearly a ghosted image on either side.

Also on Disney's Bolt disc on the Steamboat Willie intro there is clear ghosting around the Words "Walt Disney" as it is written across the screen.

Do you have this disc? Could you check again for these specific points?

TBH I didn't see any ghosting on the 3D movie content I saw on the production X7 but it was only a brief scene from Christmas Carol, but have seen it on the movie content on the pre production model.

Maybe the X3 is different (better?) than the X7....?
post #1227 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 01:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Any problems with locking to 24Hz? My RS35 often has problems with 24Hz material requiring me to switch inputs to and fro until the lock becomes stable...

My cinema: The Cave!

My kit: 15' 2.35:1 Screen Research CP2 4-way mask, Sony vw1000es, Lumagen 2144, Meridian 861/621/7x5500/2xSW5500

post #1228 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDorris View Post

I am a little surprised that you have seen absolutely no ghosting as I have seen it clearly on a pre-production and production model, albeit an X7/RS50.

I think a small amount of of the variability here may be related to an individual's Flicker Fusion Threshold - this varies between individuals and is the reason that some see DLP rainbows and others don't.
post #1229 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB_UK View Post

I think a small amount of of the variability here may be related to an individual's Flicker Fusion Threshold - this varies between individuals and is the reason that some see DLP rainbows and others don't.

My own thoughts on this are that some people don't see the ghosting because they are zoned into the image as a whole. Its the same as a door ding on a new car. The driver can see it obviously everytime he walks up to his car. Nobody else does. Once you know something is there, your eye will keep looking for it.

As you all know I have been balanced in my assessment on this topic. The ghosting on the whole is very under control wtih this projector and has never yet interfered with my enjoyment of a blu-ray. That same cannot be said for Pacific Drift 3D on the PS3 however. I have also pointed out that Orange against a white background seems to be a problem spot. The opening menu of Despicable me, or the orange credits at the start of "under the sea" (with the Potato Cod), are examples.

But overall, it has not yet interfered with my enjoyment and 3D experience. This means the ghosting is at a level where if you study it, you will find it...sit back and enjoy the film, it won't bother you.

If I may go onto my optics studies a little bit here. If one eye is stronger than the other (very common), then you will only see one ghost not two. So to the turret example on the Disney disc, depending on your eye strengths, you will see the ghost to one side or the other. If your eyes are perfectly equal and your brain is not "right-eyed or left-eyed", then you will see three turrets. In this particular example, it is actually better to have slightly unequal sight
post #1230 of 9995 Old 12-17-2010, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeanDorris View Post

I have seen it every time on the Disney fireworks/castle intro screen, if you look at the far left turret there is clearly a ghosted image on either side.

Also on Disney's Bolt disc on the Steamboat Willie intro there is clear ghosting around the Words "Walt Disney" as it is written across the screen.

Do you have this disc? Could you check again for these specific points?

TBH I didn't see any ghosting on the 3D movie content I saw on the production X7 but it was only a brief scene from Christmas Carol, but have seen it on the movie content on the pre production model.

Maybe the X3 is different (better?) than the X7....?

It is quite possible I haven't looked for it. I ran it for the first time tonight and scanned 15 discs, but none of which you mentioned. Avatar, How to Train your Dragon, Shrek 1-3, Dogs and Cats, Despicable Me, Legend of the Guardians, Samsung Imax triple Feature, Sony and Panasonic demo discs, Polar Express. I didn't run any Disney. I have the RS50 not the X3(Rs40).
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page