post #1411 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I think i may be keeping my Opp93 after all, nothing against the Sony at all, but i think the Oppo93 will be a better fit for the theater use especially with its own vertical stretch and zooming capabilities, not to mention the subtitle shift capabilities that i can put to work with scope movies using the CIH/AR lens set up i have now. Plus Oppo just released their first FW for the 93 model which supposedly addresses the long hdmi handshake times.

Edit: oh and who got $44 back on his credit card today? (This guy!!!) i was able to get the BBY Low price guarantee since i had paid $160 for two Sony BDP-S570's.

walmart has the sony 570 for 138.00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

There are some video settings in the Nvidia control panel. I noticed there's also a custom setting for pc/video levels in one of the submenus. Since you have a Samsung plasma 3D, you might be interested to hear that the cheap glasses handle IR burst from the TV much better than the Samsung glasses do. I viewed first 10 minutes of Bolt and they lost sync twice, both times recovering very rapidly. Samsung glasses lose sync ~15-20 times during those same 10 minutes and take longer to recover. It's really too bad the glasses are terrible if you have to use your own glasses under them.

Thanks much. I'll be paying Micro Center and/or Best Buy a little visit this week.

It's a shame about the Samsung sync issue. My UltraClear glasses almost never lose sync, but I don't care at all for the contrast. On the plus side, they're cheap, and should make a pretty good gift. (I won't dwell on their image quality, and maybe it'll be better on my sister's Mitsubishi DLP. ) I'm hoping the X103s solve most of these problems on both the Samsung and the JVC.

Joe Clark

post #1413 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

They certainly worked on my Samsung 3D plasma right away, although I have to say they are the most uncomfortable 3D glasses I've worn yet. My own glasses, which are very tiny, don't fit under them at all and the 3D glasses have to be balanced on the tip of my nose while I have to tip my head back and look downwards at an angle to see through the 3D glasses. I'll test them with the X7 next. Update: the glasses do not work with the X7.

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a pair of these this morning for my Samsung. How do they compare to your Xpand 103's on the Samsung. If you say they are not as good (despite comfort) then I'll try and cancel my order before they ship. Thanks.
post #1414 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I know the RS40 are out there in supper short supply, has anyone seen a X3 in the US ?

I've received mine on Friday.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #1415 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

There are some video settings in the Nvidia control panel. I noticed there's also a custom setting for pc/video levels in one of the submenus. Since you have a Samsung plasma 3D, you might be interested to hear that the cheap glasses handle IR burst from the TV much better than the Samsung glasses do. I viewed first 10 minutes of Bolt and they lost sync twice, both times recovering very rapidly. Samsung glasses lose sync ~15-20 times during those same 10 minutes and take longer to recover. It's really too bad the glasses are terrible if you have to use your own glasses under them.

I've been testing the PC/Video levels with every driver upgrade and they've stayed fixed. Stick with the default of "with video player settings" under "adjust video color settings" -> "Advanced" and all is good - at least at the driver/gpu level.
post #1416 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:12 PM

Liked: 10
The xxxxplug (spelling edited due to the prudish posters in this thread):

For 40 years, she and I have had toys that you won't find at your local Toys "R" Us store. They were purchased via mail order, and at the local "specialty" store. It's amazing that the kids never found them/us over the years while they were growing up. She has been soooo much fun over the years. Don't you wish that they were all California girls??? Oh yeah!!!

Elkhunter's recommendations for owners of the new JVCs:
1. A true batcave. NO room or gear light.
2. A 92" 2.8 gain HP. As per THX's spec - with an aging lamp. Only $283.50+ shipping for a model C.
3. Shelf mounting. Lens at the center-line of the screen for max brightness.
4. Minimum throw distance for brightness. This looks to be about 9'-9.5' per the manual.
5. 6'-7' viewing distance - eyeball to screen. For a large 2D image and for the maximum 3D effect.
6. No 3D calibration - "D65itis". There would be very little shadow detail in 3D with an aging lamp. Not even on a 92" HP.
7. A California girl.
8. A trip to your local "specialty" store.

P.S.
It's encouraging to read that reality about the JVCs 3D image, is slowly starting to creep into this thread, during this past week.
post #1417 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

I've been testing the PC/Video levels with every driver upgrade and they've stayed fixed. Stick with the default of "with video player settings" under "adjust video color settings" -> "Advanced" and all is good - at least at the driver/gpu level.

Then there's the issue of Windows not being consistent with its own software. Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center default to different HDMI output levels - crazy, and the source of on-going frustration for me. I think I've got it right, and suddenly it's not working again. If I play a Blu-ray from within Media Center via PowerDVD 10, video outputs to a different level than if I play it via PowerDVD 10 from outside Media Center. It didn't use to do this, and I can't figure out what caused the change.

Do you know how to fix this for good?

Joe Clark

post #1418 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'll definitely take a look at his software. Right now, I'm using My Movies, which is also freeware movie management software. It's a GUI (and movie manager database) that integrates into Windows 7 Media Center. With one click you can launch movies with PowerDVD from within MC.

Yeah, I don't use any front-end like MCE and dislike MCE with a passion, but that's another story. I use MPC-HC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I will definitely have to try your software, assuming it's free (donation-based?) once i get this unRaid set up that Joe's got. First I gotta pay off a couple of credit cards before i think about spending more than $1500 to build such a big HTPC attached HD library.

Hey Joe, one of this days i will call you to get some ideas on where to start. I've got hundreds of blurry movies and it would be nice to play them all using a neat media software like the one Night wrote.

Yes, free - although donations via the blog noted would be great! I wrote the software to fix a problem I was having where I didn't really know what HD contained which movie and then I had to go to IMDB for the family/guests to see movie details. Then I'd have to track down the AR (I run a CIH setup) to make sure I have MPC correctly setup for that AR. IMDB doesn't note the DVD/BD ARs nor does it have very good movie poster images - Blu-ray.com does have that info and high quality movie poster jpgs and more like the audio and video formats details.

Using that list view, I can also sort on the columns to find, for instance, movies that are under a certain length of time; or would be ok for plasma (ARs <=1.85 IMHO); or by a certain director, use a certain audio format, ones with sub-titles, etc. Makes it easy to test various movie types and to get a movie correctly queued up.

It's more than just browsing movies - although that is its primary task.

The intro and support thread is here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post19586318
post #1419 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Then there's the issue of Windows not being consistent with its own software. Windows Media Player and Windows Media Center default to different HDMI output levels - crazy, and the source of on-going frustration for me. I think I've got it right, and suddenly it's not working again. If I play a Blu-ray from within Media Center via PowerDVD 10, video outputs to a different level than if I play it via PowerDVD 10 from outside Media Center. It didn't use to do this, and I can't figure out what caused the change.

Do you know how to fix this for good?

I don't mean to be sarcastic, but dump MCE. There are better front-ends if you like that sort of thing, like My Movies and then you can use the player of your choice and have it seamlessly integrated. My app can auto-launch what-ever player as well as it leverages the auto-play features of Windows for various file/disc types or supports a custom play setup (very rudimentary).
post #1420 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Over in the Sony thread it is said the Xpands are better than the Sony Glasses. Its reported they are brighter and sync better. What have you guys here that have the JVC and the Xpands noticed against each other?
post #1421 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 31
I should have my RS40 on Thursday.

Anyone know where I could get a JVC Emitter by then?
post #1422 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Could someone please comment on the use of an anamorphic lens for this PJ? Is its primary purpose to allow the use of all of the PJ's pixels/light when viewing 2.35 or greater material? Are there brands or models specifically recommended for this PJ? How expensive are they, and are they worth the cost?

I have an Optimorph lens that I got with my old NEC HT1000, and it worked pretty well, but that is a 4x3 projector, so the increased panel use was something like 30%. I'm just wondering whether a similar improvement can be expected in a 16x9 projector like the RS40. I suppose there is no chance that the Optimorph would work on the RS40 because of the difference in aspect ratio, lens diameter, etc.?
post #1423 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

Looks like everybody is getting them but me
post #1424 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

Anyone know where I could get a JVC Emitter by then?

AVS, call them and get a good deal and fast shipping.
post #1425 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Well, I'm not an owner yet, but I have an RS40 on pre-order. I'm starting to paint and modify my simple small av room and hope to have the RS40 here within the next couple of weeks. I will hopefully have it before the end of the month. Would be best to get it over the holidays.

Is anybody using an RS40 or RS50 with a Carada screen? Is there anybody using a screen of 0.8 (blackout material or AT) to 1.4 gain that is 100" diagonal 16:9? How do you like it?

I also have a relatively small room (12' x 13') with a 100" 16x9 1.1 gain screen. Seating distance is about 11' from the screen. The projector is at nearly its shortest throw and that helps the brightness a little bit. I can only tell you that this is by far the best picture I have ever seen in my home. I have had HD projectors for 8 years (started with a Marantz VP12-S2 then moved to a FPJ1) and I am thrilled with this purchase. For me the 3D is a nice bonus that I'll have fun playing with but the improvement in the 2D picture is fantastic and justifies the upgrade whether it had 3D or not. The fact that the "Natural" setting is very close to an accurate Rec 709 color gamut is the icing on the cake. With the FPJ1 the colors were so far off out of the box that I ended up buying a VideoEQ unit to correct them. Does anyone want to buy a lovingly used VideoEQ?

I'm sure you will be pleased with the brightness, color and overall picture quality of this machine for 2D, the 3D is also quite good and will be a lot of fun to play around with as we figure out the best setups for different configurations of throw and screen. I'm even thinking of looking into a HP screen since they seem to be pretty reasonable for the fixed units in my size. The only thing I want to look at is whether I'll need to, or want to lower my shelf mount (which is currently about 3 feet over my head) in order to realize the benefits of the higher gain.

What do you HP folks think? Do I need to move the shelf? Will theer be a lot of gain lost if it's 3 feet over the center seat?
post #1426 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 06:06 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniman View Post

I also have a relatively small room (12' x 13') with a 100" 16x9 1.1 gain screen. Seating distance is about 11' from the screen. The projector is at nearly its shortest throw and that helps the brightness a little bit. I can only tell you that this is by far the best picture I have ever seen in my home. I have had HD projectors for 8 years (started with a Marantz VP12-S2 then moved to a FPJ1) and I am thrilled with this purchase. For me the 3D is a nice bonus that I'll have fun playing with but the improvement in the 2D picture is fantastic and justifies the upgrade whether it had 3D or not. The fact that the "Natural" setting is very close to an accurate Rec 709 color gamut is the icing on the cake. With the FPJ1 the colors were so far off out of the box that I ended up buying a VideoEQ unit to correct them. Does anyone want to buy a lovingly used VideoEQ?

I'm sure you will be pleased with the brightness, color and overall picture quality of this machine for 2D, the 3D is also quite good and will be a lot of fun to play around with as we figure out the best setups for different configurations of throw and screen. I'm even thinking of looking into a HP screen since they seem to be pretty reasonable for the fixed units in my size. The only thing I want to look at is whether I'll need to, or want to lower my shelf mount (which is currently about 3 feet over my head) in order to realize the benefits of the higher gain.

What do you HP folks think? Do I need to move the shelf? Will theer be a lot of gain lost if it's 3 feet over the center seat?

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback. I would be using my projector at 3/4 wide. So in your setup you find the sharpness is good?

If I went with a Carada, I'd probably get the BW material. I'm not a brightness nut and this room is going to be a totally light controlled bat cave.
post #1427 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 06:39 PM

The sharpness is not up to DLP levels but certainly still very good as far as I'm concerned. My room is also a bat cave so the Carada seems that it might be a little better than what I'm using.
post #1428 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Okay...but I'll wait till Tuesday, cause that's when my RS40 hits my door...

Yeah me too. Frick'n FedEx sucks!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #1429 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 06:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by xuniman View Post

you bring up a good point, a good deal of the talk has been regarding 3D. I would stop for a minute to say the 2D is out of this world. The main reason I wanted to upgrade from my Mitsubishi HC5500 3LCD from ~2008 was for better contrast and black levels. I resisted going to the Epson 8500 which was noted as one of the best LCD's in regard to black levels. But I would always see the JVC owners discussing how there is no comparison to the best of the LCD's vs. the DILA projectors. I waited and watched for 2 years and was looking forward to the price and features of the RS40.

Coming from an LCD, this was an amazing improvement and exceeded my expectations for what I was hoping the JVC would look like. I know projectors have a long way to go compared to the Pioneer Plasma, but this is everything I was hoping for in regard to 2D PQ. Some say the black levels are raised on the HP screen, but so is everything else which creates an even perspective between light, dark and mixed scenes. I watched Underworld which is a movie I've always been frustrated watching on the 3LCD or the Acer DLP. it's a dark movie with deep details in the background if the display can handle it. This is the first time I got excited to see this movie. All the shadow details and the blacks to go along with it. There was a fade to black and for about 2 seconds, my eyes said 'lights out'. Day / Night difference from my old 3LCD. Black is black, not dark grey like I've become used.

While I am resisting to go pixel peeping looking for problems, the impression from the seat has renewed my interest in home theater. Before the JVC, the screen was great, the sound system impressive, but the display was always a bit of a letdown. For 2D alone this projector was worth the price. The 3D has a few issues here and there, but overall provides a pleasing performance. It's the sum of the parts. The great blacks / contrast, sharpness with nice 3D effect is impressive overall, and hopefully the bit of ghosting I see here and there isn't really going to take away from watching and enjoying a 3D movie. Each projector has it's own issue, the Acer was good at a couple of things, and not so much at others. I think the JVC is a nice balance of performance for a first generation 3D projector.

@Xuniman - I am a fan of the HP screen - for me it creates the 'plasma on the wall' appearance, but I tend to like a bright image. In my old configuration, I had a 92" Model C HP with the projector mounted about 3 ft overhead & it looks great. Very bright at that small size and colors were great. The real limitation is the viewing angle. I have 4 seats across and building a platform for 4 more behind it. My screen is 142" and the seats are about 16feet from the screen. The viewing angle is nice between the 4 seats, but would then fade off a bit on the outside of that area. I would sit in any of the 4 seats and the screen looked great. It might not be the best choice with a room that has wider seating.
post #1430 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

At least you will get it before Christmas Kevin

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1431 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Just be happy it's not UPS...lol. Otherwise it might be Jim Carrie kicking your projector down the hall (like in "Pet Detective"). I've had some hairy dealings with UPS...
post #1432 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just be happy it's not UPS...lol. Otherwise it might be Jim Carrie kicking your projector down the hall (like in "Pet Detective"). I've had some hairy dealings with UPS...

I watched UPS roll my JL aUDIO fATHOM SUBWOOFER OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. It had a cracked cabinet and I had to fight with them for a month to get paid my insurance.
post #1433 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

What are people running for 3D playback? Is it worth holding out for a Oppo 93 or will the S570 produce a great 3D picture?
post #1434 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I watched UPS roll my JL aUDIO fATHOM SUBWOOFER OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK. It had a cracked cabinet and I had to fight with them for a month to get paid my insurance.

I've had the reverse happen where the UPS guy goes out of his way for me and will place packages for me in my cubie area so it's out of site and out of the weather. The Fedex guy is a different situation all together. I had a Preamp come and my dad was pulling up to the house. He sees the fedex guy throw the box out of the truck onto the ground. Seriously a good 4 feet off the ground.My dad questions him and his response is"Oh they usually package them up well" mean while it says Fragile on the box and my dad pointed it out to him and his response is "Oh, about that." Then drives away. Point being, know your local drivers and treat them well

Joe.T
post #1435 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:

What are people running for 3D playback? Is it worth holding out for a Oppo 93 or will the S570 produce a great 3D picture?

The Oppo will be released to the public in about 2 weeks...It's a great unit...They just offered an update during the last 2 days to correct some syncing issues and whatnot...still no firmware for Avatar...Gotta use a Panny or PS3...I prefer the Panny for Picture and sound.
post #1436 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

Wow. I am really out of the loop. My wife got ahold of avatar 3d for me and I was looking at something other than my ps3 so I could get HD audio.

So are there more limitations to what players can run avatar?
post #1437 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Chris from JVC had good things to say about the Sony the other day. If you don't need special features (like v-stretch, or the ability to move around subtitles), but just want quality playback (picture and sound), the Sony 570 IMO is a great choice. I picked one up the other day, and the picture quality is every bit as good as the Panasonic 350 that cost me about 3 times more. And the Sony is much, much faster - faster even than my PS3, which from the beginning has been far faster than most other players. Do your due diligence to see if the Oppo has extra features you might want, but don't discount the Sony. It's on sale just about everywhere now for about $140.

BTW, Best Buy had them in store today for the sale price, so I exchanged my open box one for a new one. There were about a dozen when I first spotted them, but by the time I got back, there was only one left.

Joe Clark

post #1438 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

In addition to its other great features, the reason the Oppo 93 is a good choice for some of us is that it has dual HDMI Version 1.4 outs, as well as multichannel analog outs. If your AVR lacks HDMI Version 1.4, you can run one HDMI cable from your Oppo to the projector, and the other HDMI cable from the Oppo to your AVR. If your AVR lacks HDMI altogether, but has multichannel analog inputs, you can run an HDMI cable to the projector and connect to your AVR using analog. In either case, those of us with older equipment can enjoy the HD audio found on Blu-ray.
post #1439 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 10:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:

Just be happy it's not UPS...

One is NO better than the other .......

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

I've received mine on Friday.

No Pics, what do you think?
post #1440 of 10005 Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Just watched IMAX Space Station 3d.............toward the end, I had a MnM hit me in the face that bounced off one of the astronauts.........and right after that, an orange bounced off my head.......that was some crazy $hit! I must have rewound this scene 5 times........VERY cool!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page