post #1441 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa View Post

Could someone please comment on the use of an anamorphic lens for this PJ? Is its primary purpose to allow the use of all of the PJ's pixels/light when viewing 2.35 or greater material? Are there brands or models specifically recommended for this PJ? How expensive are they, and are they worth the cost?

I have an Optimorph lens that I got with my old NEC HT1000, and it worked pretty well, but that is a 4x3 projector, so the increased panel use was something like 30%. I'm just wondering whether a similar improvement can be expected in a 16x9 projector like the RS40. I suppose there is no chance that the Optimorph would work on the RS40 because of the difference in aspect ratio, lens diameter, etc.?

Use of all pixels and maximizing light is only one of benefits of using an A-Lens. The cost can be a few hundred for used prisms, to $6k or more for top of the line cylindrical models. Any lens that was used to expand 4x3 to 16x9 is a 1.33x expansion. Therefore, as long as the light beam clears it should work with 16x9, expanding it to 2.35. For more info check the 2.35 forum here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Just watched IMAX Space Station 3d.............toward the end, I had a MnM hit me in the face that bounced off one of the astronauts.........and right after that, an orange bounced off my head.......that was some crazy $hit! I must have rewound this scene 5 times........VERY cool!

I know. Enjoyed that very much. Under the Sea and the Galapagos had some remarkable scenes, as well.
post #1443 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 03:44 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can somebody please post some measurements for:

- brightness? How much lumen has the X3 with 6.5k setting?
- Rec709? How accurate is this?

50 pages but nobody has measured this essential information's?

Thanks
S.
post #1444 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepardos View Post

Thanks
S.

To be fair it was measured earlier on (might be the main thread though) but it was a pre production unit and the greyscale calibration still needed some work, so it may be possible to further improve. All we really know so far is that the RS40 is much less oversaturated than the older RS10/15 models were. Whether it's good enough not to need an external CMS is something I'm also interested in as I've got a VideoEQ Pro that could be sold to put towards getting an X3 (in the UK).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1445 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 04:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks
S.

Hi,

here there are measurement information (from the Greek website "Perfect Image") :

http://translate.google.com/translat...full-review%2F

The result in not very exciting compared to HD 350
post #1446 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebes View Post

Hi,

here there are measurement information (from the Greek website "Perfect Image") :

http://translate.google.com/translat...full-review%2F

The result in not very exciting compared to HD 350

I guess this is before calibration. As the greyscale isn't particularly well adjusted if it's meant to be 'after'. What would be nice is if they had properly adjusted the greyscale to see if it helps with the colour readings particularly the gamut luminance, which may well be effected if the greyscale (and colour/tint) haven't been optimised.

FWIW I thought the 'Standard' colour gamut looks a lot closer than my HD350 did before I added the VideoEQ Pro, though it is still oversaturated no mistake. I'm more dissapointed with the on/off measurements being only 10-15% better than their HD350 ones as I'd hoped for near double. Perhaps we need to see what Cine4home measure on this score as they typically list the modes and zoom settings used, so the results can be compared to their previous reviews.

If I went for an X3 myself at some point I would want to see a noticable improvement in contrast: My particular HD350 has good convergance and is in a long throw setup which helps it to look particularly sharp and of course means I maximise contrast. Therefore there's little that I feel needs improving when I'm watching in isolation, so I'd be hoping for a further increase in contrast (ie yet deeper blacks) that would be obvious without having to compare side by side, so I figure a doubling would be where I'd need to aim. Perhaps I may need to wait until X7/X9s start to turn up used.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #1447 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 04:52 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

One is NO better than the other .......

No Pics, what do you think?

It looks stunning sitting there in the corner of my theater waiting for a CEILING MOUNT. There are currently no mounts out that will fit without some adaptation. I have already returned an Omnimount which the Manufacturer said would fit but now agrees it does not. I have a Peerless coming mid week which should work with a minor adjustment.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #1448 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a pair of these this morning for my Samsung. How do they compare to your Xpand 103's on the Samsung. If you say they are not as good (despite comfort) then I'll try and cancel my order before they ship. Thanks.

Just viewed the first 10 minutes of Bolt on Samsung 3D plasma with X103 glasses: not a single instance of sync loss. Same display settings, same seating distance as earlier. Crosstalk-wise all three glasses are pretty much the same, although I didn't run any test patterns, simply made observations while viewing Bolt.

Please, feel free to call me by my first name, Petri.
post #1449 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Petri, any noticeable different between this version and the pre-production unit you previewed?

Joe.T
post #1450 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttabean View Post

Petri, any noticeable different between this version and the pre-production unit you previewed?

I haven't got a production unit yet, if that's what you mean. The distributor was kind enough to let me keep the pre-prod X7 until production versions of X3 and X7 arrive.

post #1451 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 08:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Oh, very nice of them

Joe.T
post #1452 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 08:58 AM

I have an RS40 on order.. I am abit concerned with the incompatibilities with latest ATI anda NVIDA 3D cards, as it seems.

I am upgrading my Oppo 83 to 93.. And i was thinking that maybe it is possible to use DLNA serving from PC to "get around" issues with the x1.5 2880x1080 thingie..

Anyone tried streaming 3D content from PC (using for example Serviio or similar) to the RS40/50/60??

/Twobeer
post #1453 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 244
PLEASE!!!!

Is there not one single mount that works without modifications!!???

I need to order one tomorrow. Should I just call AVS, as it seems nobody knows what the flipping hell i going on.

Sorry for the rant, but it just seems completely asinine that the biggest projector of the year comes out and messes with the standard mounting design and these retarded mount manufacturers don't have anything ready for people to buy. How do I mount this mother ****er without creating my own mount?
post #1454 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 395
I started the projector last night and immediately put on Monsters Vs. Aliens. The ghosting / flickering was pretty apparent during the first 30 minutes of the movie, then started to taper off, by an hour in, both were reduced significantly. Some time after that, hardly noticeably at all.

I figured I was getting used to it. So today I did another experiment. I let the project run for an hour with 2D content without watching the screen. Then I switched over to M v A again and put on the 103's. It was a similar experience to about an hour into my viewing last night, the flicker was minimal as well as the ghosting.

This coincides with a few others in the RS50 forum who noticed the ghosting was stronger in the beginning and reduced after a warm up period. My room is relatively chilly right now, it's in the low 30's in the Northeast and my room is probably 64-65 degrees until i turn the heater on in the room. perhaps this has something to do with the long warm up time needed to reduce the flicker / ghosting.

I also starting playing around with Gamma Mode B, trying to get the colors back in line with this mode. It appears to have a heavy green push. I created a custom color config and pulled back the green quite a bit, and some of the red as well. It looks much better now and have the benefit of the extra highlights in the background from this mode. I will keep playing around attempting to achieve the best balance between brightness and color accuracy in 3D mode. Ideally, I'd like to get it to match the Acer since I became used to the brightness and color modes of that projector in it's 3D mode.

Once it's warmed up and ghosting / flicker is tamed, the Acer can't match the JVC's deep blacks and contrast. There are some darker scenes in M v A where the lead character confronts the ex-boyfriend and the sky is black with stars popping out of the background and the colors looks great.

@ Conan48 - curious to hear your comments once you get setup. I don't know if anyone else with the Acer has the HP screen, but the brighter screen is likely why I am tuning in on the ghosting / flickering during the warmup period. I don't think it would be as noticeable on a low gain screen.
post #1455 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

PLEASE!!!!

I need to order one tomorrow. Should I just call AVS, as it seems nobody knows what the flipping hell i going on.

Sorry for the rant, but it just seems completely asinine that the biggest projector of the year comes out and messes with the standard mounting design and these retarded mount manufacturers don't have anything ready for people to buy. How do I mount this mother ****er without creating my own mount?

They were all standing around with their thumbs up their ---. Pretty bad manangement if you ask me. someone should be fired!
post #1456 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

...Is there not one single mount that works without modifications!!???...

I posted this in another RS thread but in case you missed it here is the latest: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post19673436
post #1457 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok, I found some measurements from a production model in germany:

JVC X3 out-of-the-box

2m screen form a 2.5m distance:

- Cinema Mode, blend open, 6500k preset: 486 Lumen in (eco) 709 Lumen (high)

- 3D mode, blend open, lamp high
- 9000k = 872 Lumen,
- 7500k = 836 Lumen,
- 6500k = 791 Lumen.
(measured Voltcraft MS-1500 Luxmeter)

Conclusion: What the hell is with 1300Lumen in 3D mode? Seems no big difference to the current 350/550/750/950 in terms of brightness
post #1458 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

I haven't got a production unit yet, if that's what you mean. The distributor was kind enough to let me keep the pre-prod X7 until production versions of X3 and X7 arrive.

You must have utilised quite a number of hours now. Have you any feeling/impressions with the bulb dimming so far?
post #1459 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey guys, i will be out of pocket for the next couple of days, but if anyone wants me to post some pseudo final Adjustments and Settings for 2D or 3D please PM me the information and I will post it accordingly. And is does not include what type of screen, throw distance or bat cave recommendations. Let's keep this as generic as possible, and maybe we can have a "recommendations" post to follow where we can share our own screen and batcave configurations.

I will check PMs at lest twice a day, so if y'all are in agreement on what the initial settings for 2D and 3D should be, then please send them my way and i will post them as soon as possible. Glad to see quite a few more people finally getting their projectors
post #1460 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

You must have utilised quite a number of hours now. Have you any feeling/impressions with the bulb dimming so far?

Not that much really, just passed 100 hours the last time I checked. Haven't noticed any dimming, at least nothing that would attract attention.

post #1461 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok, I found some measurements from a production model in germany:

JVC X3 out-of-the-box

2m screen form a 2.5m distance:

- Cinema Mode, blend open, 6500k preset: 486 Lumen in (eco) 709 Lumen (high)

- 3D mode, blend open, lamp high
- 9000k = 872 Lumen,
- 7500k = 836 Lumen,
- 6500k = 791 Lumen.
(measured Voltcraft MS-1500 Luxmeter)

Conclusion: What the hell is with 1300Lumen in 3D mode? Seems no big difference to the current 350/550/750/950 in terms of brightness

I think people have misunderstood this whole 1300 Lumens thing. The bulb does go into high mode...the highest wattage it can produce. But in 3D mode the contrast is reduced (as also noticed by Cine4home). So the pixels do not go as "light" (or to be more precise, rotate allowing the most light through) as they normally do. So the effective lumens is lower. The reason JVC increased the lumens was to alter the starting point otherwise in 3D mode it would be even lower! However someone who can, should verify how many lumens there are in 2D mode at 8500k on high lamp. It is a proportional thing. If the loss is 25% in 3D mode, then having the 1300 lumen capable bulb has made that loss more similar to the max we had with the previous models.
post #1462 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Not that much really, just passed 100 hours the last time I checked. Haven't noticed any dimming, at least nothing that would attract attention.

Thanks for the quick reply

I thought you might have done more than that by now. I seem to have 80 hours on my X7 and I definitely have not used it for that long. I know it adds an hour here or there when switching on and off. But even then it would equate to over 4 hours a day which is not right. I am wondering if the hours clock up faster in high bulb mode..I need to check.
post #1463 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

PLEASE!!!!

Unicol in the UK (www.unicol.co.uk) have a special plate for this projector and I am using it. They will ship internationally but I guess thats going to be slow at this time of year than people will want.
post #1464 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I thought you might have done more than that by now.

Plenty of other toys here demanding my attention too. You know how it is

post #1465 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

At least you will get it before Christmas Kevin

No, you're right Todd thanks. In retrospect it still is a good thing I got one this week (let's hope the exception isn't because of damage or theft!). I'm off starting from the 23rd till New Year so I'll plenty of "play time".

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #1466 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

No, you're right Todd thanks. In retrospect it still is a good thing I got one this week (let's hope the exception isn't because of damage or theft!). I'm off starting from the 23rd till New Year so I'll plenty of "play time".

Nice!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1467 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Chris from JVC had good things to say about the Sony the other day. If you don't need special features (like v-stretch, or the ability to move around subtitles), but just want quality playback (picture and sound), the Sony 570 IMO is a great choice. I picked one up the other day, and the picture quality is every bit as good as the Panasonic 350 that cost me about 3 times more. And the Sony is much, much faster - faster even than my PS3, which from the beginning has been far faster than most other players. Do your due diligence to see if the Oppo has extra features you might want, but don't discount the Sony. It's on sale just about everywhere now for about $140.

BTW, Best Buy had them in store today for the sale price, so I exchanged my open box one for a new one. There were about a dozen when I first spotted them, but by the time I got back, there was only one left.

I got everything hooked up (new 25ft. Monoprice & Oppo HDMI's & Oppo93), in anticipation of the 50 yesterday which as I reported never showed up, and for the most part liked what I saw (demo'd The A Team after reinstalling my Sharp 20K DLP), over the Sony 400 BD changer, but what I didn't like was the black level (detail was excellent, but black was not). Everything on the Oppo looked dark gray. I bought the Sony 570 so I'll do some comparisons and report back. Now that I have the Monoprice 4x2 switch I really don't need dual output (assuming it works which I won't know until the PJ arrives).

Is there a setting I should know about (I used the EZ set-up on the Oppo after upgrading the firmware)??

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #1468 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:

PLEASE!!!!

My universal mount fits the bolt pattern of the JVC RS40 with a few mm's to spare, no modifications required... I probably wouldn't have thought to order it because it's so inexpensive ($39) I'd wonder if something wasn't designed well for long-term use , but it came free with the motorized projector lift I purchased from them and seems solid enough. You'd just need to buy 4 longer M5 bolts (which are common/easily found), as the M5 bolts that come with it aren't quite long enough for the RS40.

http://www.mountdirect.com/Projector...ries_p/pms.htm

On a side note for those thinking about HP screens but who don't want to or can't do a rear shelf mount.. What I did is buy one of the EPL motorized ceiling projector lifts, they have it on sale from time to time in the low $900 range I think, including shipping. We're then attaching the free ceiling-mount it came with to the bottom of the lift panel that sits flush with the ceiling (when in the "Up" position) instead of inside the lift cavity. Then the projector sits up high at ceiling level when not in use and no where near anyone's head , and when it's time for viewing the motorized lift drops it down.

Honestly I've found that keeping the RS40 resting within the projector lift body (so that when not in use, I can completely hide it out of sight in the ceiling soffit) has resulted in a height for the projector lens (~77") that gives me plenty of brightness with the HP screen. As it should -- folks get so hung up on 2.x but I don't think I'm "slumming it" at 1.6 due to the 77" height . There are plenty of people out there enjoying 1.3 screens. But I'm sure as the new bulb dims I'll appreciate the extra brightness, so we'll still be mounting the projector under the lift to maybe bring it to high 50"/low 60" when the lift is down. It'll be easy enough to adjust the height via the mount settings or the lift settings once it's been undermounted.
post #1469 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just wanted to reaffirm the more than satisfactory brightness in 3D so far after 70 hours (for me at least), i still have my aperture in 3D set to -5 where i think it looks best right now. But as they say, your miles may vary, and i am starting to think i may had gotten a pretty darn good first bulb, because it really does seem to be plenty bright in 3D for me. Of course i wouldn't mind more, who would?

Anyhow, I finally watched the full length of Avatar 3D with my wife and and two friends (couple) and they were all floored by how amazing the 3D PQ is and how good the 3D was, no one reported flicker or ghosting although i am sure there must had been some very light ghosting here and there that we did not notice since the 3D experience was so enveloping the entire time.

The one common thing that everyone agreed on is how fantastic the 3D imagery was with the JVC RS40 versus the pretty lousy IMAX and/or AMC 3D experience was (now in retrospect). So many scenes in the theater, almost 3/4 of the movie had this very light and depressed 3D effect in comparison to the over pronounced effect on the RS40.

I also showed them the Potato Cod fish scene in Under the Sea, and i heard several jaws hit the floor at the moment the fish turned onto the camera and literary jumped 10 feet out of the screen.

The whole night while watching Avatar 3D they kept repeating this one word...."unbelievable" i lost cost after 30

In case some of you are not familiar with my configuration, i operate the RS40 at an 18 ft throw 2.5 ft up from center of screen in a 100% light controlled bat cave using a 9 to 11 ft wide CIH 1.1 AT gain screen.
post #1470 of 10031 Old 12-19-2010, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I also showed them the Potato Cod fish scene in Under the Sea, and i heard several jaws hit the floor at the moment the fish turned onto the camera and literary jumped 10 feet out of the screen.

We use that scene for our demos too. Don't think I've ever heard so many many people say "wow" and "ooh" at the same time as when I've shown that.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page