AVS Forum banner

Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread

1M views 11K replies 632 participants last post by  david20-100 
#1 ·
THE OFFICIAL JVC RS40 & X3 OWNER'S THREAD:

Welcome to the Official JVC RS40/X3 thread. I was lucky enough to have gotten one of the first few and scarce RS40 projectors in the US on 12/07/10, in addition to "TOE" who also picked up his RS40 with me today from our local dealer (So feel free to bug him too, PLEASE!
).

I will do my best to communicate with everyone in the meantime and ease the anticipation pain until hopefully everyone, or almost everyone, has their RS40 in hand, and hopefully before Christmas. I am really hoping more people start receiving their RS40s or X3's this week so to ease the early testing burden on TOE and myself. I will go ahead and save the next few posts, just incase we need them to post calibrations, configurations, Firmware update notifications and such.

I should mention that I did not receive the 3D emitter with the projector today, but I do have the Xpand X103 universal glasses and I intend to test them against the JVC OEM glasses as soon as the emitter arrives. And for the record, I have an 18 ft throw distance against an 11 ft wide 2.37:1 CIH AT Screen with a 1.1 gain. I also operate in a 100% lighting-controlled batcave, with Red/Black GOM fabric walls, due to sound treatment.

I have the RS40 in hand and will be home in the next 2-3 hours to get it set up, so stay tuned.

GO BRONCOS!!!

-Sam

SCREEN SHOTS INDEX:

See less See more
#102 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd /forum/post/19614541

Yes it most certainly does vary from unit to unit. However, as various owners report in about their convergence, we will begin to gain (or lose) confidence in whether JVC has been able to improve their tolerances with regards to convergence. This information helps people make an informed buying decisions especially when buying sight unseen. Remember, there is a difference between what someone may consider acceptable convergence and what is considered being "in spec"....

I guess that would be valid with a large sample size but I don't see how looking at one or two helps though. Regardless, TMI is better than TLI.

#103 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/19614588

Sam. Please check out my post 6858 in the long thread where I set out an explanation for the Chief mounts and universal legs etc.

I did, and I replied to it with the following...

Quote:
Thanks Mark, but from what online pricing appears to be, anyone can order the newer RPMAU's (like KRichter's with the arms) for less than the price of the SLB-U or SLM-U. The question would be, can you confirm that the existing shipped stock of the RPMA-U (which comes with the 4 legs) will work with the new RS40/50/60?

#104 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19613737

Unfortunately the projector was on for a few hours last night, can I still test for that later tonight? is is a repeatable cycle?

I just need to know Exactly what to look for in what test pattern? I posted all the test pattern screenshots fro the service menu, so just point me to the ones that will test convergence/divergence and uniformity and also let me know how to detect what you want me to see. Sorry as I mentioned before, I don't do these things often.

It is absolutely repeatable on mine. Switch on from cold, immediately check the convergence, whether you use the red/green/blue grid pattern, or a single pixel white grid, or even the double pixel one is better than nothing. Then wait 15 minutes, and check it again, and see if it has changed. So for example check the centre, and note any pixels that are off...is it the same amount of deviation 15 minutes later. In my case its mainly red that moves.

Perhaps my previous projectors did it too, but I surely never noticed it.

Thanks for comparing and taking the time. I appreciate it.

#106 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt /forum/post/19614794

It is absolutely repeatable on mine. Switch on from cold, immediately check the convergence, whether you use the red/green/blue grid pattern, or a single pixel white grid, or even the double pixel one is better than nothing. Then wait 15 minutes, and check it again, and see if it has changed. So for example check the centre, and note any pixels that are off...is it the same amount of deviation 15 minutes later. In my case its mainly red that moves.

Perhaps my previous projectors did it too, but I surely never noticed it.

Thanks for comparing and taking the time. I appreciate it.

Jon, sorry if this sounds dumb. But what exactly am I looking for when I am testing for convergence in all of the patterns you listed? I remember one thing with te red/green/blue crossline patterns that the blue was the thickest line. While the green and red were thinner.

#107 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19614849

Jon, sorry if this sounds dumb. But what exactly am I looking for when I am testing for convergence in all of the patterns you listed? I remember one thing with te red/green/blue crossline patterns that the blue was the thickest line. While the green and red were thinner.

Unlike a direct view fixed pixel device (eg. a plasma screen), the RS40, and the last several generations of JVC projectors are 3 chip LCOS machines, and produce colour images by overlapping varying quantities of red, green and blue. However, in order to effectively do so, the individual R, G & B chips/panels need to overlap very well, across the entire screen.

When you look at a single pixel thick white grid, you are looking at the results of each individual panel generating its respective red, green, and blue grid which overlap on your screen to generate a white grid. If convergence is 'off' for one or more of the panels, you'll see this as 'fringing' on the single pixel white line. Practically speaking, its almost unheard of to have perfect alignment of the 3 panels across the entire screen, and you will almost certainly notice the horizontal and vertical white lines in the grid having an edge that is redder, or greener, or bluer than the line itself. The more 'out of whack' this 'fringing' is, the greater your convergence error.

Because of the projector's ability to shift each panel's output horizontally and vertically in single pixel increments, you shouldn't really be off by more than 0.5 pixel - at least in the centre of the projected image. The real problems arise when this divergence of up to 0.5 pixel at the centre, increases to more than that at the periphery.

Blue is tougher to see than red & green , and I wouldn't worry about blue appearing thicker (less focused?) than the other two colours. The real issue is how well all three overlap, and to what extent that changes as you move away from screen centre. If you want to see what really bad convergence looks like, feel free to shift the output of any one of the panels (red is easiest to see) within the service menu converge adjustment function, and you'll get a sense for what really bad (more than a pixel) misconvergence looks like.

#110 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich /forum/post/19614317

Sam. I may be wrong here but those mount legs do not look like Chief legs. More like Peerless. Kevin's pictures look like the Chief universals and they work with just about everything.

Mark, they are actually Chief legs as I had someone at Chief visually confirm, but he also confirmed that they are the much older legs (circa 2008) and that I will either need to buy the SLBU kit, or just buy a new RPMA-U complete kit with the SLMU bracket.

#111 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa /forum/post/19615105

Thanks so much Sam for the great report. Your screen shots included only one with "skin tones," and that didn't appear to be very good. Could you comment on skin tones and possibly post some shots of that?

Again, many thanks.

Please tell me which screenshot and I can tell you, but more than likely the pictures are NOT an honest reflection of what the projection is showing in person. I found that using the Retina display on the iPhone4 shows the closest image to what the screen is showing.

#112 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenjabil /forum/post/19614989

Unlike a direct view fixed pixel device (eg. a plasma screen), the RS40, and the last several generations of JVC projectors are 3 chip LCOS machines, and produce colour images by overlapping varying quantities of red, green and blue. However, in order to effectively do so, the individual R, G & B chips/panels need to overlap very well, across the entire screen.

When you look at a single pixel thick white grid, you are looking at the results of each individual panel generating its respective red, green, and blue grid which overlap on your screen to generate a white grid. If convergence is 'off' for one or more of the panels, you'll see this as 'fringing' on the single pixel white line. Practically speaking, its almost unheard of to have perfect alignment of the 3 panels across the entire screen, and you will almost certainly notice the horizontal and vertical white lines in the grid having an edge that is redder, or greener, or bluer than the line itself. The more 'out of whack' this 'fringing' is, the greater your convergence error.

Because of the projector's ability to shift each panel's output horizontally and vertically in single pixel increments, you shouldn't really be off by more than 0.5 pixel - at least in the centre of the projected image. The real problems arise when this divergence of up to 0.5 pixel at the centre, increases to more than that at the periphery.

Blue is tougher to see than red & green , and I wouldn't worry about blue appearing thicker (less focused?) than the other two colours. The real issue is how well all three overlap, and to what extent that changes as you move away from screen centre. If you want to see what really bad convergence looks like, feel free to shift the output of any one of the panels (red is easiest to see) within the service menu converge adjustment function, and you'll get a sense for what really bad (more than a pixel) misconvergence looks like.

thanks Zenjabil,

I have some homework to go through tonight for sure, this is all a bit overwhelming for me. Thanks to you, LovingDVD, Geoff, JonStatt, and others who had contributed in their convergence and testing explanations.

#113 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19615119

Please tell me which screenshot and I can tell you, but more than likely the pictures are NOT an honest reflection of what the projection is showing in person. I found that using the Retina display on the iPhone4 shows the closest image to what the screen is showing.

Most of the faces had masks. This one had something underneath that said "Mysteries at the Museum."

#114 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa /forum/post/19615142

Most of the faces had masks. This one had something underneath that said "Mysteries at the Museum."

That one was from a DirecTV HD channel and it was a Toyota commercial, I can tell you that the skintone on this particular picture looked WAY more real and natural in person (it looks too washed out using the screenshot), and with that being said, take most TV broadcast PQ screenshots with a grain of salt.

But here is a more accurate screenshot of skintones on DirecTV
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...7/IMG_1828.jpg

#115 ·
Wow man awesome work!! gosh I can't wait for mine to come in!! come on AVS Christmas elfs !!! Daddy needs a new toy !!

#116 ·
Well I guess I am going past my monthly bandwidth quote with the Free PhotoBucket account.

Can anyone suggest another free photo sharing website that may offer unlimited bandwidth, or should I just quit being a cheap-ass and buy the annual photobucket ulimited pro upgrade for $24?

EDIT: I am too darn cheap, yet even more lazy, so I just paid for a one month pro unlimited membership for $2.99, so let's all use the crap out of it and obliterate the unlimited bandwidth for the next 30 days.

#117 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 /forum/post/19615352

Wow man awesome work!! gosh I can't wait for mine to come in!! come on AVS Christmas elfs !!! Daddy needs a new toy !!

thanks dude, hopefully my mount and AVR dillemas are resolved tonight.

#118 ·
Gary from JVC UK confirmed to me that it is normal for the convergence to shift a bit based on temperature and that even having it upside down (which I do) can change its behaviour as well.

Before anyone asks, I am using a Unicol (UK) mount which is a custom mount with a special plate. They designed this mount before the projector was out and even got the cut-outs for the intake vents etc correct.

The trouble was the mount weighed several kilos itself making lifting the new heavier projector + mount up to the ceiling almost unbearable.

#120 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt /forum/post/19615438

Gary from JVC UK confirmed to me that it is normal for the convergence to shift a bit based on temperature and that even having it upside down (which I do) can change its behaviour as well.

Before anyone asks, I am using a Unicol (UK) mount which is a custom mount with a special plate. They designed this mount before the projector was out and even got the cut-outs for the intake vents etc correct.

The trouble was the mount weighed several kilos itself making lifting the new heavier projector + mount up to the ceiling almost unbearable.

Good to know Jon. The whole weight thing is what I dread, the new PJ is a monster, it's like a friggin conviction oven, yeah it's THAT big! Your non-AV friend will be shocked to see that they still make projectors that big, and even that "majestic" looking for such little money on the RS40 and RS50, this is why I said this PJ looks like a Million bucks!!!
but anyhow the PJ is too darn big and much heavier than the RS20 or your typical Epson/Panny projectors, which is why I am willing to buy the new "lock/release" mount this way I can mount the ceiling plate and pipe plus the top portion of the mount, then simply click the universal bracket with the PJ into place, if I am not mistake on how this works.

#123 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19615479

I am willing to buy the new "lock/release" mount this way I can mount the ceiling plate and pipe plus the top portion of the mount, then simply click the universal bracket with the PJ into place, if I am not mistake on how this works.

All the lock/release mounts I looked at in the UK either wouldn't fit or wouldn't scale to a projector weighing 15kg to start with.

In the case of the mount I have, naturally the ceiling plate and drop tube could be positioned first, But the actual plate that fixed to the projector was solid steel and weighed enough on its own! So there I was with the projector above my head, while someone guided me to the tube connection.

I then went through an agonsing 60 seconds while I tried to push up or down slightly so that the "holes lined up", and then someone could put a bolt through.

Man, I really hope this projector never goes wrong, because I do NOT want to get that thing down again.

#124 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19615301

That one was from a DirecTV HD channel and it was a Toyota commercial, I can tell you that the skintone on this particular picture looked WAY more real and natural in person (it looks too washed out using the screenshot), and with that being said, take most TV broadcast PQ screenshots with a grain of salt.

But here is a more accurate screenshot of skintones on DirecTV

Thanks, Sam. I didn't think that other one was representative, but it was the only one, and you hadn't commented on skin tones. This looks much better, and I'm encouraged by your comments.

#125 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19614849

a) Put up the AVS HD 709 crosshatch pattern, found under the Misc. Patterns menu.

b) Walk up to the screen. Take a close look at the grid lines and the dots inside of the grid boxes. Do this for various areas of the screen. It will be immediately obvious (self-explanatory when looking at it) what to look for and how to spot any issues.

c) Take pictures of the center and various other spots to show off the good and/or bad convergence areas. Do this from about 1.5 feet away. Post for all to see.

Thanks.

#126 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 /forum/post/19612708

Awesome screen shots. When the shot above first came up in my browser (which was not at full screen) it didn't quite fill my browser window and my initial impression was that you had taken a photo outside of your window. Really. That's pretty darn impression. I can then only imagine how nice it looks in person!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.