Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 50 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1471 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Elkhunter, i take it you have already gotten your own RS40/50 or are you basing these recommendations sight unseen? I hope it is not the latter, because you're making it sound like without the THX recommended screen size or the High Performance screen and/or the center shelf mounting, the 3D experience will not be ideal. Which is so far from the real truth!

I am perfectly happy with my low gain 1.1 AT screen with more than double the throw distance mentioned below (my throw distance is 18ft) not to mention my RS40 is ceiling mounted about 2.5 feet up from center, and with even a 11-12 ft viewing distance to boot.

So i will stress this to others, as i hope this was Elkhunter's true intentions. The following recommendations below should be considered as such, recommendations. Not a must have to enjoy a spectacular 3D experiences on the RS40. I only meet one of Elkhunter's "recommendations" (batcave setting) and none of the rest and even then i am enjoying the best 3D experience of my life, low gain long throw and everything not-recommended in between.

So for anyone, still without their RS40/50, please do not be discouraged by these recommendations if you are physically or financially or logistically unable to satisfy every single one. Although the one recommendation which applies here, bat cave or near 100% light control, is recommended for any cinema projector, not just 3D or JVC. This is one golden rule that applies to all home theater builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhunter View Post

Elkhunter's recommendations for owners of the new JVCs:
1. A true batcave. NO room or gear light.
2. A 92" 2.8 gain HP. As per THX's spec - with an aging lamp. Only $283.50+ shipping for a model C.
3. Shelf mounting. Lens at the center-line of the screen for max brightness.
4. Minimum throw distance for brightness. This looks to be about 9'-9.5' per the manual.
5. 6'-7' viewing distance - eyeball to screen. For a large 2D image and for the maximum 3D effect.
6. No 3D calibration - "D65itis". There would be very little shadow detail in 3D with an aging lamp. Not even on a 92" HP.

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1472 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post

Just viewed the first 10 minutes of Bolt on Samsung 3D plasma with X103 glasses: not a single instance of sync loss. Same display settings, same seating distance as earlier. Crosstalk-wise all three glasses are pretty much the same, although I didn't run any test patterns, simply made observations while viewing Bolt.

Thanks. I'm trying to figure out though in what context you are providing this feedback. For instance, did you have a reason to think otherwise? You mentioned all three glasses are pretty much the same. The Xpands compared to what other glasses? Is this related to the NXG glasses at all?
post #1473 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Yeah me too. Frick'n FedEx sucks!

I HATE FEDEX! THEY ARE THE WORST! They have the laziest drivers in my area, and make up the most terrible blatant lies as reasons for not delivering the day they were suppose to!! I always try to remember to specifically ask for UPS.
post #1474 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I started the projector last night and immediately put on Monsters Vs. Aliens. The ghosting / flickering was pretty apparent during the first 30 minutes of the movie, then started to taper off, by an hour in, both were reduced significantly. Some time after that, hardly noticeably at all.

I figured I was getting used to it. So today I did another experiment. I let the project run for an hour with 2D content without watching the screen. Then I switched over to M v A again and put on the 103's. It was a similar experience to about an hour into my viewing last night, the flicker was minimal as well as the ghosting.

This coincides with a few others in the RS50 forum who noticed the ghosting was stronger in the beginning and reduced after a warm up period. My room is relatively chilly right now, it's in the low 30's in the Northeast and my room is probably 64-65 degrees until i turn the heater on in the room. perhaps this has something to do with the long warm up time needed to reduce the flicker / ghosting.

I also starting playing around with Gamma Mode B, trying to get the colors back in line with this mode. It appears to have a heavy green push. I created a custom color config and pulled back the green quite a bit, and some of the red as well. It looks much better now and have the benefit of the extra highlights in the background from this mode. I will keep playing around attempting to achieve the best balance between brightness and color accuracy in 3D mode. Ideally, I'd like to get it to match the Acer since I became used to the brightness and color modes of that projector in it's 3D mode.

Once it's warmed up and ghosting / flicker is tamed, the Acer can't match the JVC's deep blacks and contrast. There are some darker scenes in M v A where the lead character confronts the ex-boyfriend and the sky is black with stars popping out of the background and the colors looks great.

@ Conan48 - curious to hear your comments once you get setup. I don't know if anyone else with the Acer has the HP screen, but the brighter screen is likely why I am tuning in on the ghosting / flickering during the warmup period. I don't think it would be as noticeable on a low gain screen.

So, what are you saying - that you have to let this projector warm up for an hour before "ghosting" is reduced to a tolerable level? How many hours of lamp time will be wasted in warm up time and will one then reduce the usability of the lamp before it starts to dim? I seriously considered buying this projector, but I think I'll wait for a 1080p DLP 3D projector before I upgrade. There seems to be an awful lot of compromises being made here. Maybe a firmware update will solve these wrinkles. I sure hope so.
post #1475 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Yes the warm up period is true (at least for me with the Sony, and my LCD monitors) I found it took about 20minutes to get to full warmness

Deja Vu, from reading your posts I would say do not buy the JVC. I know you and you will be obsessed with the ghosting. I think your plan is sound in waiting for a 1080p DLP. There is one problem however. I think that there is a reason we haven't seen 1080p 3D DLPs yet, and I believe it's a limitation of a combination of things including the colour wheel speed, and some other stuff I read (can't remember the thread).

The people who have seen the few 1080p DLPs have had VERY negative things to say about them, which is extremely surprising considering how good the 720p Acer is. When they showed the Sharp, and Samsung at IFA, people complained that the 3D was horrible (especially during motion) and pretty much everyone agreed the JVC was far superior in 3D. There must be a reason that Acer, Optoma, Infocus, etc do not have a 1080p 3D DLP yet.

They have MANY cheap 1080p data projectors for under 1 grand and why do non of them support 3D. Pretty much every DLP should be 3D ready, as they switch on/off instantly, and have over 2000hz refresh rate. I don't think the colour wheel is fast enough to sync a 1080p signal at 120hz input. People described things like triple rainbow effect breakup durring 3D that was much worse then normal rainbows. There is something 100% that is preventing 1080p 3D DLP. They've had 720p 3D projectors for a year and a half now.

At the very least wait for CES, but it doesn't look promising at all.
post #1476 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

While I have no clue if such a PJ will be shown at Cedia, IFA has been going further and further away from being a show where high-end or even medium range stuff is being shown. JVC for instance don't even have a showing of a projector open to public. If companies like Sim2, Runco, ProjectionDesign etc. wants to introduce new LED models, it wouldn't be at IFA, but could be at CEDIA.

BTW, I was not impressed with Samsung's 3D demo, to say the least (and for the record, I'm very impressed by their 2D performance). There was a LOT of flicker, like trippling RBE of a normal projector. To me, it was simply unwatchable. If that is an indication of the performance one should expect from lamp-based single-chip DLP, I would say that 3D DLP = LED (or 3-chip). I have a feeling that Joe hasn't had any hand in adding 3D to "his" projector.

(I haven't read the whole thread yet, so not sure if this has been covered...)

My overall experience from IFA, was a LOT of really, really poor 3D demos, and a few (very few) usable ones - no impressive ones. I am puzzled that you can get people hooked on 3D with such poor demos (but then again, that could be said about most AV gear...)

There are similar comments regarding the Sharp also.....
post #1477 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

So, what are you saying - that you have to let this projector warm up for an hour before "ghosting" is reduced to a tolerable level? How many hours of lamp time will be wasted in warm up time and will one then reduce the usability of the lamp before it starts to dim? I seriously considered buying this projector, but I think I'll wait for a 1080p DLP 3D projector before I upgrade. There seems to be an awful lot of compromises being made here. Maybe a firmware update will solve these wrinkles. I sure hope so.

I now have played over 10 bluray 3D titles, none of which showed any flicked or ghosting, pre or post warm up.

Last night I played Avatar3D within seconds of my RS40 powering on, no ghosting and no flicker. Do we know if the extra brightness produced by HP screens is causing the ghosting to become that much more obvious?

And also when I played My Bloody Valentine 3D, which is known to be filled with Ghosting, I played it literary within min or two from the RS40 firing up, and even then there was no ghosting.

Mnttwister/Toe/Zbroke/Krichter1 (all with low gain screens)? If you read this can you please confirm or deny this "pre-warm-up-ghosting" issue?

post #1478 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 136
I think I can live with 720p for 3D. The Acer has a relatively good black level in 3D mode with glasses on, but this is the one area I would like to see some improvement. If Sony and JVC don't fully solve the "ghosting" issue I would consider another 720p 3D DLP with a DI or other innovations for deeper blacks. I would even pay double the price of the Acer.

Personally I think both Sony and JVC will solve this. Right now I'm content to sit back and listen to yours and others comments about how these "big boys" do 3D. At some point I'll jump back in, but I'm really not that interested in coming on here to make negative comments about my new toy.

My Epson 7500 had broken FI! They partially fixed it with a firmware update, but it still wasn't worth using for most material in high mode. If it's not going to work properly then why include it at all? Surely the people who build these things know that certain features aren't up to scratch, yet out they go to the unsuspecting public. A few generations later they've now got things working properly and are selling them for less. There's something wrong with this picture.
post #1479 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Mnttwister/Toe/Zbroke/Krichter1 (all with low gain screens)? If you read this can you please confirm or deny this "pre-warm-up-ghosting" issue?

I do have a low gain scren (1.3 ST130) but don't have a 3D player yet as I'm waiting for the OPPO release. My only experience with 3D and the JVC has been 10 minutes of a hockey game that I had recorded on my Canadian dish. Interestingly enough, I did the watching immediately after powering up the projector. There was A LOT of ghosting but I'm not really ready to blame the projector for that just yet ( I posted on that matter a few days ago).

Anyways I will go back to watching the whole game, hopefully tomorrow, and report if the ghosting diminished after a while

Edit: How about that! As soon as I'm done with this post I go to my emails to find an email from OPPO. The 93 is now open to public woooo hoooooo! One OPPO 93 on his way with 2 day shipping! Life is good!

GO HABS GO!
post #1480 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

My only experience with 3D and the JVC has been 10 minutes of a hockey game that I had recorded on my Canadian dish. Interestingly enough, I did the watching immediately after powering up the projector. There was A LOT of ghosting but I'm not really ready to blame the projector for that just yet ( I posted on that matter a few days ago).!

I watched the same Canadian hockey game in 3D via DirecTV, which had the CBC logo the entire time, and I can describe this 3D content as "GHOSTING_GALORE" My God, the ghosting was AWEFUL! and it even looked worse on my Sony LED 3D TV, much worse, but that doesn't mean it looked good ont he JVC. This would be the worst example to detect how ghosting-prone the RS40 is. So I would stir away from using live 3D sports broadcasting as a source of 3D ghosting comparison, I don't think an eternity of warming up would cure bad 3D shooting. So maybe we should wait to hear back from you when you get that wonderful Oppo93.

What was so funny about watching the terrible 3D quality of this CBC Hockey game was how the announcers were talking more about how awesome the 3D technology than the actual game, it was a total shamless sales pitch all 3 thirds. And the whole time I was watching, I was telling myself, ARE THESE MORONS looking at the same horrific ghost-ridden 3D I am looking at? It relly made me appreciate ESPN's imperfect 3D attempts, which were hands down better than what CBC was attempting to do. When it comes to 3D sports, I think it will really take them some time to master the skill that Hollywood has the luxury to spend 100's if not 1000's of post production hours in perfecting

post #1481 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

if you go back to my earlier post, I did state that the room is a bit chilly @ 64 degrees until I put the heater on. Perhaps this is making it worse. But yes, it takes a good 20+ minutes until the ghosting/flickering subdues, and then another 15-20 until it's pretty much gone completely. I would say once it settles in, the IQ of the JVC is nicer than the Acer without question, the colors (in Gamma A mode, 65k), sharpness, and blacks & contrast get a sharp nod towards the JVC, as welll it should given the price difference. However, the Acer definitely holds it's own and I said it before, If I already owned an RS25 or 35, I'd probably add the Acer and be quite satisfied with the image. The RBE does piss me off, I can see it from time to time, even in 3D. If the acer was 1080p and a 4-5x color wheel, it would be a gem for 3D only.

There are also 3 other members in the RS50 forum who have validated the same issue warm-up / ghosting issue, I am not the only one claiming this is happened. After a period of time, the ghosting diminishes. My projector can't have more than 12 hours on it yet, perhaps this will diminish as I continue to use it, and the panels get cooked a bit.

Quote:

I now have played over 10 bluray 3D titles, none of which showed any flicked or ghosting, pre or post warm up.

Last night I played Avatar3D within seconds of my RS40 powering on, no ghosting and no flicker. Do we know if the extra brightness produced by HP screens is causing the ghosting to become that much more obvious?

And also when I played My Bloody Valentine 3D, which is known to be filled with Ghosting, I played it literary within min or two from the RS40 firing up, and even then there was no ghosting.

I drapped up a 1.0 gain screen I had, the flickering and ghosting is much less noticeable upon my cold startup than with the HP screen. I am also in a bat cave and invited a few neighbors over for a viewing today. First I showed them the JVC with the 1.0 gain screen, showed a few 3D clips, then did the unveal of the HP screen underneath. The praise was across the board. Everyone thought it looked like a huge Plasma on the wall, which is a compliment. One neighbor asked 'why did you have that old screen to begin with?'

these folks are as J6P as it gets, and they were going nuts over the HP screen / JVC combo. I showed them Alice 3D, space Station 3D, Dea Sea 3D and M v A on both screens.

For me, the HP screen brings this projector alive with bright, rich colors and great brightness. If I didn't know better, I'd probably get adjusted to the low gain screen and think this is as good as it gets. If I could ever meet Mr. Da-lite, I would thank him for putting a 142" plasma screen on my wall with a relatively low lumen projector.

post #1482 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I watched the same Canadian hockey game in 3D via DirecTV, which had the CBC logo the entire time, and I can describe this 3D content as "GHOSTING_GALORE" My God, the ghosting was AWEFUL! and it even looked worse on my Sony LED 3D TV, much worse, but that doesn't mean it looked good ont he JVC...

I watched this in 3D on my Samsung 63" plasma and noticed absolutely no ghosting. I thought the 3D was just fair at best, but because of the camera angles more than any technical reason.

Quote:

What was so funny about watching the terrible 3D quality of this CBC Hockey game was how the announcers were talking more about how awesome the 3D technology than the actual game, it was a total shamless sales pitch all 3 thirds. And the whole time I was watching, I was telling myself, ARE THESE MORONS looking at the same horrific ghost-ridden 3D I am looking at? It relly made me appreciate ESPN's imperfect 3D attempts, which were hands down better than what CBC was attempting to do. When it comes to 3D sports, I think it will really take them some time to master the skill that Hollywood has the luxury to spend 100's if not 1000's of post production hours in perfecting

The presentation and commentary and 3D pitching was terribly cheesy I agree. I thought the NBA game in 3D Friday night was much better. No real mention or harking about 3D and the 3D effect and angles/depth was much more interesting and fun to watch.
post #1483 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

I watched the same Canadian hockey game in 3D via DirecTV, which had the CBC logo the entire time, and I can describe this 3D content as "GHOSTING_GALORE" My God, the ghosting was AWEFUL! and it even looked worse on my Sony LED 3D TV, much worse, but that doesn't mean it looked good ont he JVC. This would be the worst example to detect how ghosting-prone the RS40 is. So I would stir away from using live 3D sports broadcasting as a source of 3D ghosting comparison, I don't think an eternity of warming up would cure bad 3D shooting. So maybe we should wait to hear back from you when you get that wonderful Oppo93.

I think the ghosting has to do with low res and analog cameras. When ever I watched something in low res on my 3D lcd monitor, the ghosting became extremely bad. I can definitely tell most hockey games(NY Ranger games) look worse in 2D on MSG compared to the Nassau coliseum games when they play against the Islanders. Some camera angles look horrendous! Just my guess though.

Off topic but Hockey needs new cameras with slow motion. I really wish they would get that. It needs it desperately for those fast shot replays. All you see is a blur...

Joe.T
post #1484 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

Use of all pixels and maximizing light is only one of benefits of using an A-Lens. The cost can be a few hundred for used prisms, to $6k or more for top of the line cylindrical models. Any lens that was used to expand 4x3 to 16x9 is a 1.33x expansion. Therefore, as long as the light beam clears it should work with 16x9, expanding it to 2.35. For more info check the 2.35 forum here.

Thank you. I believe my lens squeezes rather than stretches, if that matters.

Does anyone have the lens diameter of the RS40 -- inside and outside?
post #1485 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Im outta town and wondered if anyone has done the FW update and if so did they notice any other improvements aside to what JVC said the upgrade done? Was it easy?
post #1486 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hear ya about the overall better PQ of the HP screens and their plasma-like effect, there is no doubt about that. However, it seems like as i suspected the HP screens will exhibit more noticeable ghostings at least pre-warm up. I was going crazy trying to figure out why my projector was showing virtually no ghosting or flicker. And the answer i guess is that HP's overly bright and sharp presentation could make certain unwanted artifacts a little more obvious. But hey i would still jump at the chance of having an HP like screen performance if i had a choice in the matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

if you go back to my earlier post, I did state that the room is a bit chilly @ 64 degrees until I put the heater on. Perhaps this is making it worse. But yes, it takes a good 20+ minutes until the ghosting/flickering subdues, and then another 15-20 until it's pretty much gone completely. I would say once it settles in, the IQ of the JVC is nicer than the Acer without question, the colors (in Gamma A mode, 65k), sharpness, and blacks & contrast get a sharp nod towards the JVC, as welll it should given the price difference. However, the Acer definitely holds it's own and I said it before, If I already owned an RS25 or 35, I'd probably add the Acer and be quite satisfied with the image. The RBE does piss me off, I can see it from time to time, even in 3D. If the acer was 1080p and a 4-5x color wheel, it would be a gem for 3D only.

There are also 3 other members in the RS50 forum who have validated the same issue warm-up / ghosting issue, I am not the only one claiming this is happened. After a period of time, the ghosting diminishes. My projector can't have more than 12 hours on it yet, perhaps this will diminish as I continue to use it, and the panels get cooked a bit.

I drapped up a 1.0 gain screen I had, the flickering and ghosting is much less noticeable upon my cold startup than with the HP screen. I am also in a bat cave and invited a few neighbors over for a viewing today. First I showed them the JVC with the 1.0 gain screen, showed a few 3D clips, then did the unveal of the HP screen underneath. The praise was across the board. Everyone thought it looked like a huge Plasma on the wall, which is a compliment. One neighbor asked 'why did you have that old screen to begin with?'

these folks are as J6P as it gets, and they were going nuts over the HP screen / JVC combo. I showed them Alice 3D, space Station 3D, Dea Sea 3D and M v A on both screens.

For me, the HP screen brings this projector alive with bright, rich colors and great brightness. If I didn't know better, I'd probably get adjusted to the low gain screen and think this is as good as it gets. If I could ever meet Mr. Da-lite, I would thank him for putting a 142" plasma screen on my wall with a relatively low lumen projector.

post #1487 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

I think people have misunderstood this whole 1300 Lumens thing. The bulb does go into high mode...the highest wattage it can produce. But in 3D mode the contrast is reduced (as also noticed by Cine4home). So the pixels do not go as "light" (or to be more precise, rotate allowing the most light through) as they normally do. So the effective lumens is lower. The reason JVC increased the lumens was to alter the starting point otherwise in 3D mode it would be even lower! However someone who can, should verify how many lumens there are in 2D mode at 8500k on high lamp. It is a proportional thing. If the loss is 25% in 3D mode, then having the 1300 lumen capable bulb has made that loss more similar to the max we had with the previous models.

No there is no misunderstanding. JVC has always been known and trusted to rate their projectors very conservatively, and if they rated at 1300 lumens we expect it to throw a real 1200 lumens on the screen that can be measured, that is what we have been taught to expect.....

If these lumen numbers hold true, I am very disappointed and will have to throw JVC in the pile with everyone else who now inflates brightness numbers for the sake of marketing and sales. 872 lumens in its brightest mode is very disappointing and a far cry from 1300.....I do hope to see better measurements in future reviews.....If not I fear this projector will not be bright enough for me after 500 hours.....With only 709 lumens when new that will leave 400 lumens conservatively after 500 hours....Uhhgggg

After all these gushing first hand accounts stating how bright the projector was and the fact that this projector had a higher wattage more efficient bulb with improved light engine, I was really hoping to get 900+ real lumens in Cinema mode at 6500K....
post #1488 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Im outta town and wondered if anyone has done the FW update and if so did they notice any other improvements aside to what JVC said the upgrade done? Was it easy?

I did it yesterday and didn't notice any changes - went smoothly on my 50...

post #1489 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 443
I have only watched 3 3d titles so far Sam all of which were played right after I turned on the projector and I have only "noticed" one instance of ghosting (and it was VERY brief as in ~3 seconds worth) with all 3 discs which came during IMAX Space Station. The thing is though, this ghosting was well into the presentation (~30 minutes or so) so it would have been warmed up by then. I can absolutely handle this type of ghosting percentage That IMAX disc was incredible by the way! Some amazing scenes on that one and a nice brightness boost zooming down from 2.35 to 1.78.

On a side note, the new feet did not seem to help much with my shaking issue. This is very minor though and I just will need to check my picture positioning after each LFE heavy film. It is minor enough that I dont need to pad up the lens like I did with my RS1 so I am happy overall

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1490 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 07:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I know I should probably post this in the audio forums, but I'll ask here first. I've decided to go ahead and upgrade my Denon 3808 AVR to one that does HDMI 1.4. I know I'll do it eventually, anyway, and it might as well be now. Any recommendations for an HDMI 1.4 AVR that does 7.1 or, preferably, 9.1 (with height channels). The Denon 4311 is already on the radar, but I'm open to other possibilities. Don't want this to go too far off topic here.

Joe Clark

post #1491 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I know I should probably post this in the audio forums, but I'll ask here first. I've decided to go ahead and upgrade my Denon 3808 AVR to one that does HDMI 1.4. I know I'll do it eventually, anyway, and it might as well be now. Any recommendations for an HDMI 1.4 AVR that does 7.1 or, preferably, 9.1 (with height channels). The Denon 4311 is already on the radar, but I'm open to other possibilities. Don't want this to go too far off topic here.

Pioneer Elite SC-37 is a great choice, and so is the new Yamaha 3000 Aventage. The Yamaha has power off pass through of HDMI as well as on screen volume control as well as the best GUI I have seen yet. It is 140 WPC and has front height in addition to 7.1 Also dual Subwoofer outs. I just picked one up for my great room upstairs and I really love it.
post #1492 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've always been happy with the sound and function of the Yamaha receivers. I'm most likely going to upgrade to their A2000. Don't know about 9.1 but it does 7.1. There is also an A3000 if the 2000 isn't powerful enough.
post #1493 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

why not do a real upgrade and go with an amp and processor? I have JTR Pro Audio speakers and my Dennon 4308CI does not have enough power. Im going to buy the new 7 Channel Emotiva amp that comes out end of February with 500 w @ 4 Ohms. That is of course if you have small speakers.

Those are 2 Danley DTS 10's that you see peeking from behind the screen. lol
post #1494 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangc View Post

No there is no misunderstanding. JVC has always been known and trusted to rate their projectors very conservatively, and if they rated at 1300 lumens we expect it to throw a real 1200 lumens on the screen that can be measured, that is what we have been taught to expect.....

If these lumen numbers hold true, I am very disappointed and will have to throw JVC in the pile with everyone else who now inflates brightness numbers for the sake of marketing and sales. 872 lumens in its brightest mode is very disappointing and a far cry from 1300.....I do hope to see better measurements in future reviews.....If not I fear this projector will not be bright enough for me after 500 hours.....With only 709 lumens when new that will leave 400 lumens conservatively after 500 hours....Uhhgggg

After all these gushing first hand accounts stating how bright the projector was and the fact that this projector had a higher wattage more efficient bulb with improved light engine, I was really hoping to get 900+ real lumens in Cinema mode at 6500K....

Even JVC's honest numbers at D65, though, are for high lamp mode, iris wide open (at 0), and at the shortest throw. Any set up other than this will yield less than the rated lumens.
post #1495 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Even JVC's honest numbers at D65, though, are for high lamp mode, iris wide open (at 0), and at the shortest throw. Any set up other than this will yield less than the rated lumens.

a few months back I calle JVC and talked to a tech there. This was when people on this forum mentioned that 1300 lumens is at 8500k. The tech insisted the 1300 lumens is at d65. So from what I gather either he lied or was misinformed right?
post #1496 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks, everyone. Lots of great suggestions - and more research to do. Always fun.

Joe Clark

post #1497 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

PLEASE!!!!

Is there not one single mount that works without modifications!!???

I need to order one tomorrow. Should I just call AVS, as it seems nobody knows what the flipping hell i going on.

Sorry for the rant, but it just seems completely asinine that the biggest projector of the year comes out and messes with the standard mounting design and these retarded mount manufacturers don't have anything ready for people to buy. How do I mount this mother ****er without creating my own mount?

Conan, If I were you I would order the Chief RPMAU and drill the one hole to allow the fourth leg to fit. Then when the RP281 mount is ready call Chief and tell them you want to exchange the universal for the 281 plate for free.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #1498 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

I did it yesterday and didn't notice any changes - went smoothly on my 50...

That's great news! Thanks for being Guiney piggie Thrang!!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #1499 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:

I hear ya about the overall better PQ of the HP screens and their plasma-like effect, there is no doubt about that. However, it seems like as i suspected the HP screens will exhibit more noticeable ghostings at least pre-warm up. I was going crazy trying to figure out why my projector was showing virtually no ghosting or flicker. And the answer i guess is that HP's overly bright and sharp presentation could make certain unwanted artifacts a little more obvious. But hey i would still jump at the chance of having an HP like screen performance if i had a choice in the matter

My projector only has about 12 hours on it, so maybe it will change over time. Gary B mentioned it takes about 20 mins for the machine to come to temperature in regard to final running convergence.

Overall, the 3D IQ quality is great, especially with Gamma (A) @ 65k color temp. I don't mind at all waiting a bit until the projector settles down. All the great qualities of the 2D side come along for the ride into 3D. Color, contrast, blacks, sharpness which made watching Alice 3D a blast on the JVC.

I randomly went through the Popcorn hour C200 to see how it looked on the JVC. Even the 720P cable copy of Star wars looked pretty good. The 2D alone is worth the price for the JVC. These are out of the box settings in Cinema mode.

post #1500 of 10016 Old 12-19-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Jason,

Your screen shots look spectacular. I usually don't get too worked up by screen shots, but it's hard not to get excited by what I'm seeing here - color, sharpness, and, Jeez, Louise, the black level.

Joe Clark

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page