post #1561 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
Thanks Ekkehart. Is that for both models?

Looking at some previous numbers you guys have measured I see for high lamp, iris open, and shortest throw:

HD550/RS15:
D65: 840 lumens
Native: 910 lumens

HD950/RS25:
D65: 710 lumens

I know these values can vary from projector/lamp to projector/lamp, but from these numbers it is looking like the new models may not be brighter than last years at D65.

--Darin

Yes, because the extra brightness of the new models was used to make the 3D mode brighter.

Regards,
Ekkehart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post
From THX.com

In our testing the RS40 did not meet our demanding tests and failed to receive a 3D THX certification. One major concern with the RS40 was the horrendous amount of crosstalk visible in both content and test patterns.

Can you please provide a link for the last statement above? I cant find it on THX.com?

Regards,
Ekkehart
post #1563 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post
Can you please provide a link for the last statement above? I cant find it on THX.com?

Regards,
Ekkehart
I was just going to ask the same thing...I can't find it either. Frankly I'll be shocked if THX slammed the RS40 because of "the horrendous amount of crosstalk visible in both content and test patterns." In fact I was under the impression that the 40 wasn't even submitted for testing.

Geof
post #1564 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
I was just going to ask the same thing...I can't find it either. Frankly I'll be shocked if THX slammed the RS40 because of "the horrendous amount of crosstalk visible in both content and test patterns." In fact I was under the impression that the 40 wasn't even submitted for testing.
It is a wind-up I'm sure.

But interestingly it mentions on the "real" rs50 certification page that the ThX button functions as a thx 3d preset as well. However while I notice the bulb go to high power I do not see the colour temperature change as it is supposed to according to THX (gamma should also change).
post #1565 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:13 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post
It is a wind-up I'm sure.
It is. The RS40/X3 was never designed with or submitted for THX.
post #1566 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geof View Post
This is the closest piece of article on 3D THX projectors commented in the THX official site.

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...fied-displays/

There is no mentioning about RS40 been having "the horrendous amount of crosstalk visible in both content and test patterns."
post #1567 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
It is a joke. No official testing report would use the word "horrendous". It would use, "excessive" or "cross-talk in excess of THX standards" or some other less loaded phrase.
post #1568 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 View Post
It is a joke. No official testing report would use the word "horrendous". It would use, "excessive" or "cross-talk in excess of THX standards" or some other less loaded phrase.
I agree, sounds like someone wants to move up on the RS40 List to me!
post #1569 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post
It looks stunning sitting there in the corner of my theater waiting for a CEILING MOUNT. There are currently no mounts out that will fit without some adaptation. I have already returned an Omnimount which the Manufacturer said would fit but now agrees it does not. I have a Peerless coming mid week which should work with a minor adjustment.
now thats a drag
post #1570 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 03:56 PM

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas...Dee dee, da da, do do...
Todd, looky what I found under my tree!... Be back soon with some impressions...

post #1571 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 103
nice box, but theres no THX logo on it..........
post #1572 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
you are a master at getting people fired up.
post #1573 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Yeah, Conan probably puts firecrackers instead of candles on his Christmas tree.

Joe Clark

post #1574 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
See?? I was right... I knew he was a master of irony all along... well... I did have doubts there for a bit...
post #1575 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post
Todd, looky what I found under my tree!... Be back soon with some impressions...
Congrats!
I'm sorry I know you've mentioned it but with all these threads to follow....do you have the Sony or is that yet to arrive?
You really ought to wrap that up and have the wife "surprise" you.

Geof
post #1576 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

sorry guys.....

It's April Fools in Poland today

I thought the word horrendous would have given it away.

THX couldn't be added to the RS40 because it would have made the projector cost at least 500.00 more because of royalties to Lucas
post #1577 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
It's April Fools in Poland today
But... how can that be? It isn't even April. Do you have "December Fools"... on the 20th??
post #1578 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't know.....Im from Canada.
post #1579 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM

Liked: 18
Just wanted to let everyone know that Windows 7 choked on the upgrade but it ran successfully on XP.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #1580 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:17 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

My projector only has about 12 hours on it, so maybe it will change over time. Gary B mentioned it takes about 20 mins for the machine to come to temperature in regard to final running convergence.

Overall, the 3D IQ quality is great, especially with Gamma (A) @ 65k color temp. I don't mind at all waiting a bit until the projector settles down. All the great qualities of the 2D side come along for the ride into 3D. Color, contrast, blacks, sharpness which made watching Alice 3D a blast on the JVC.

I randomly went through the Popcorn hour C200 to see how it looked on the JVC. Even the 720P cable copy of Star wars looked pretty good. The 2D alone is worth the price for the JVC. These are out of the box settings in Cinema mode.

AWESOME screen shots

Well I just joined the club.........ordered a 9' wide 2.35 2.8 HP screen today. I am only keeping one of my screens so either the ST130 will go or the HP once I have compared both...........should be interesting

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #1581 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Thanks Ekkehart. Is that for both models?

Looking at some previous numbers you guys have measured I see for high lamp, iris open, and shortest throw:

HD550/RS15:
D65: 840 lumens
Native: 910 lumens

HD950/RS25:
D65: 710 lumens

I know these values can vary from projector/lamp to projector/lamp, but from these numbers it is looking like the new models may not be brighter than last years at D65.

--Darin

It seems the RS40 is brighter than the RS50, likely to help achieve its extra 20,000:1. If that's the case, it seems the RS40 may be the better projector for 3D with brightness being such a priority, yes?
post #1582 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I sure wouldn't be basing my evaluation of this projector on screen shots. Screen shots only tell you that the projector actually throws an image. I've seen literally hundreds of screen shots on this forum over the years and many of them look at least as good as these. They were taken to what projectors, that were far inferior to the JVC, supposedly could do. You simply can't get an accurate idea of black level , colour etc. from screen shots since there are just too many variables including the camera.

I going to make a few comments about "ghosting" and why I consider it a serious problem. For me, ghosting is akin to edge enhancement. I remember being in a Best Buy and a salesman was demoing a T.V. for me. He played MIB (DVD). I told him I saw a lot of EE and he just gave me a blank look, so I pointed it out to him. He now knew what EE was for the first time and he would never look at video in the same way again. I had, to some extent, just ruined the experience for him and turned him into a critic! I think that those who can spot EE without thinking about it are going to have a terrible time with ghosting. With RBE you see it to varying degrees or you don't. If you don't see it, it doesn't matter if someone tries to point it out by showing you scenes where he/she sees it. You simply won't see it. Not so with EE or ghosting. You may see it right off the bat or suddenly notice it with more viewing or, heaven forbid, someone points it out to you and ruins you for life.

How many times have I heard - "it's not that bad, I can live with it, or the good outweighs the bad. Funny thing is that when the issue is addressed in a future generation these same people, that could easily life with the artifact, suddenly dump their projector and buy the new one, without the problem. They now come on here and comment that their new projector is so much better since it doesn't have such and such artifact. Yes, the same artifact that supposedly wasn't a problem for them. It was something they could overlook. Yeah right!

Personally, I think that many of the Sony and JVC owners who claim everything they watch is "ghost free" simply haven't noticed it yet, but will. When they do they won't be happy campers. Once you see it your eye will be drawn to it. You can tell someone not to think about "cats", but the first thing they'll do is think about "cats".

Apparently the HP screen accentuates "ghosting". So what we have here is a situation where a screen that really helps with the lack of 3D lumens actually is a negative because it enhances the visibility of an artifact that is caused by the projector and not by the screen. Sounds like a Catch 22 to me.

I have no interest in being the guinea pig for these manufacturers. The "ghosting" issue needs to be addressed. There should be no visible ghosting or, at the least, no more than DLP shows. Am I asking for too much? I am simply not willing to go from a ghost free image to one with ghosting and pay a ton more money for the privilege.

The reason for this rant is simply that I would like to purchase, at a reasonable price, a 1080p 3D projector, with lens sift and some other bells and whistles that does not have the added bonus of "ghosting" thrown in at no extra cost.

The ONLY reason the HP might make ghosting more visible is becuase it makes the picture brighter.........this can be controlled if it really becomes an issue which it wont for most I would bet.

It all depends on the person..........I know what ghosting looks like and I just dont see it often and when I do, it just does not bother me that much. RBE on the other hand drives me INSANE! I would personally take a bit of ghosting over ANY RBE, but again everyone is different Give me a RBE free 3d 1080p DLP with good contrast at a price that wont break the bank and I am open..........until then, no thanks.

post #1583 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

IMO, the overall 3D quality on the JVC is no doubt better than the Acer, especially when run in Gamma A and 65k color. The blacks / contrast / color / sharpness all take precedent over what the Acer can handle and there is no RBE.

Did you read that DejaVu?

post #1584 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

AWESOME screen shots

Well I just joined the club.........ordered a 9' wide 2.35 2.8 HP screen today. I am only keeping one of my screens so either the ST130 will go or the HP once I have compared both...........should be interesting

Todd, who are we kidding here, you know you're gonna love your new HP. I am so jealous I've been in love with HP 2.8 since the first screen shots that Jason (Zombie) took in the mega thread 2 months ago. I can only hope that one of the perf screen companies put something out to come anywhere close to the 2.8 goodness! Congrats dude!

By the way, Michael called me to get your digits about an hoaur ago.
post #1585 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Exactly! We wouldn't be "Gushing" about how good the 3D looked on these JVC projectors if they weren't worth "gushing" about

Most people who are slamming 3D may have only seen it on a 50"-60" display, or worse, have not even taken the time to demo it at a friend's house in a ontrolled environment where there is no "store noise" or the godawful flourescant light throughout the stores.

Most people that slightly enjoyed the depressed 3D effect in commercial theaters are up for a real treat with these new JVCs.

And I will add my name to the list of people who are tired of hearing about this $500 ACER, which cannot and will not touch the blacks and contrast levels of the JVC projectors. I can see the appeal with 720P 3D for $500, that is a lot of 3D bang for the buck, but that's where it ends. It's 720P, it requires an Nivida equipped HTPC, nVidia 3D glasses, and not to mention the fact that the Acer cannot compete with the sheer PQ of the RS40/50/60 in 2D presentations which accounts for 99% of the blu-ray and HD content out there. And I am not ragging on the Acer because its 1/6th the cost of the RS40, but most people will simply not be ecstatic with a dual projection set up, one for 2D and one for 3D, and the use of HTPC. There is a WHOLE WORLD of J6P's out there that accounts for 90% of consumers out there, and none of them will go through the trouble of having dual projectors and an HTPC.

And this is the exact reason why we're saying the RS40/50 is a WONDERFUL compromise for 3D, and one of the best projectors for 2D under $10,000.

EXACTLY

You forgot to mention RBE though which can be a TOTAL image killer for people (like me) who are sensitive to it. Cant do it.............

post #1586 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Did you read that DejaVu?

I think the 4 of us (Toe, Krichter, Zombie and I) will need to do an RBE intervention with DejaVu, he needs to see the RS40/50 for himself to realize how insignificant the "ghosting" is on it.

I see the bang for buck value with the Acer and if JVC or no one came out with a 3D projector in the $3000-$5000 range like the 40/50 I would be all over the Acer, but once you've experienced both 2D and 3D on the RS40, there is no way anyone would still pick the acer, unless if it's a cost issue and that would be understandable.
post #1587 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Does the RS40 allow one to set the color to D65 for 2D and use a different temperature for 3D, or does one have to change the color temperature manually every time you watch a 3d movie, and then set it back to 65k for 2D?
post #1588 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

I just had the BEST 3D experience EVER! I left my HT room and fired up the HD-FB2005, that's Harley Davidson Fatboy 2005!

Wow! My RS40 will never be able to beat that! 79 degrees on December 20th! Not even with a HP screen!

While riding, I was however wondering what I was going to watch this evening!!!!

I hear this everyday from my best bud at work........big motorcycle guy (dirt and street) and he wants me to get a Harley SO bad.........I am sure I will at some point

post #1589 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Oh yaaaaah!!! Congrats dude!

Where is Kevin on this? We need some unboxing glamour shots of your RS50, yea we will allow it in the poor folk RS40 thread :P
post #1590 of 9990 Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Ill be running my oppo 93 hdmi 1 straight to the projector. Hdmi 2 from oppo to my Dennon 4308CI so I can watch 3D. How will I be able to get the volume and other things such as speaker settings to show up on the screen when my reciever is not in the video path?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page