Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 54 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1591 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
joerod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: MIDWEST (just outside Chicago)
Posts: 22,100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Ill be running my oppo 93 hdmi 1 straight to the projector. Hdmi 2 from oppo to my Dennon 4308CI so I can watch 3D. How will I be able to get the volume and other things such as speaker settings to show up on the screen when my reciever is not in the video path?

You can just run HDMI 1 into your receiver long enough to set up sound parameters then just switch it back to your original plan. Then of course have the out of your receiver go to your Projector.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
joerod is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1592 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
noah katz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Mountain View, CA USA
Posts: 20,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post

Yes, because the extra brightness of the new models was used to make the 3D mode brighter.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I'm actually a bit relieved, as that saves me the expense of an upgrade, which was going to be in good part for more brightness.

I guess there's probably not enough justification for JVC to make a pj optimized for 2D brightness, which I suspect would have a smaller market and require a lamp with different spectral characteristics.

Noah
noah katz is online now  
post #1593 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas...Dee dee, da da, do do...
Todd, looky what I found under my tree!... Be back soon with some impressions...


Looking forward to your impressions and have FUN!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1594 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Todd, who are we kidding here, you know you're gonna love your new HP. I am so jealous I've been in love with HP 2.8 since the first screen shots that Jason (Zombie) took in the mega thread 2 months ago. I can only hope that one of the perf screen companies put something out to come anywhere close to the 2.8 goodness! Congrats dude!

By the way, Michael called me to get your digits about an hoaur ago.

Thanks Sam! I am jealous of your entire HT if it makes you feel any better!

I am getting a bit reckless with the cc, but F&^$ it! Its Christmas and once I sell one of these screens, it will pay for most if not all (if I sell the Stewart) of the HP cc charge.........I just had to get one to satisfy my curiosity which has been brewing forever.

Thanks for the heads up from Michael

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1595 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,532
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post



Well I just joined the club.........ordered a 9' wide 2.35 2.8 HP screen today. I am only keeping one of my screens so either the ST130 will go or the HP once I have compared both...........should be interesting

toe, is this a fixed frame screen? My 142" 16x9 is ~ 10.5 ft wide, the projector is about 17 feet from the screen. Seats are around 15ft.

what is your setup with the HP screen (seating width/distance) / ceiling or shelf mount?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #1596 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I think the 4 of us (Toe, Krichter, Zombie and I) will need to do an RBE intervention with DejaVu, he needs to see the RS40/50 for himself to realize how insignificant the "ghosting" is on it.

I see the bang for buck value with the Acer and if JVC or no one came out with a 3D projector in the $3000-$5000 range like the 40/50 I would be all over the Acer, but once you've experienced both 2D and 3D on the RS40, there is no way anyone would still pick the acer, unless if it's a cost issue and that would be understandable.

No doubt...........a 2 projector solution is just not in the cards for me and after seeing the 3d on the 40, I dont feel ANY need since it is the best 3d I have seen to date overall. I dont doubt the Acer is superior for ghosting, but considering how little I have seen on the 40, I just dont see this as being a significant advantage.........RBE on the other hand.........

As far as the contrast advantage on the JVC, IMAX Space Station is one where the superior JVC contrast would really stand out in comparison to the Acer which I kept thinking about the other night..........some of those shots of space with the shuttle or various objects in front of it are gorgeous with the JVCs contrast abilities that would just not have the same impact on something like the Acer with its pathetic contrast ratio.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1597 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
WiFi-Spy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 2,298
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Do any of you guys regret cheaping out and buying the RS40 instead of the much superior RS50? Did you know that the RS50 is THX 3D certified? and the RS40 isn't?

Im pretty sure that THX means that there will be at least half the ghosting of what you guys are getting with the RS40. SUcks to be poor

Sarcasm?

Tyler Pruitt - Technical Liaison at SpectraCal
WiFi-Spy is online now  
post #1598 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

toe, is this a fixed frame screen? My 142" 16x9 is ~ 10.5 ft wide, the projector is about 17 feet from the screen. Seats are around 15ft.

what is your setup with the HP screen (seating width/distance) / ceiling or shelf mount?

Fixed frame, Cinema Contour 46x108 2.35........this is the MAX width I can go with my setup.


I have just one 3 seater couch which puts viewer eye level ~12.5' from the screen with a projector throw of ~17'. I have a rear closet/shelf mount projector that is ~1.5' overhead. I can remount the projector if needed a bit lower, but from my sample testing last night, I am getting most of the HP gain even in this current setup (I get a little bit more gain when I stand up with eye/lens at the same height, but not a bunch). The added punch of colors and whites was amazing just going off the sample. White looks white on my ST130 until I put up that HP sample which made white look WHITE........very cool Cant wait to mount this screen

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1599 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,532
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Fixed frame, Cinema Contour 46x108 2.35........this is the MAX width I can go with my setup.


I have just one 3 seater couch which puts viewer eye level ~12.5' from the screen with a projector throw of ~17'. I have a rear closet/shelf mount projector that is ~1.5' overhead. I can remount the projector if needed a bit lower, but from my sample testing last night, I am getting most of the HP gain even in this current setup (I get a little bit more gain when I stand up with eye/lens at the same height, but not a bunch). The added punch of colors and whites was amazing just going off the sample. White looks white on my ST130 until I put up that HP sample which made white look WHITE........very cool Cant wait to mount this screen

The cinema contour is a nice screen for the $$. The materials are strong and the velvet they wrap the frame with is excellent. I ordered 15 feet of this material to create my 2:35:1 masks, it already has a sticky backing to it, so no messing with staple guns, etc.

Many projectors will come and go, but the HP stays with me for a while. Given the right room conditions (projector location, seating width) it's hard to beat the HP for those who prefer a brighter image, especially on a larger screen. I think you will be surprised how smooth the screen is. IQ looks natural on this screen, no distracting sparkles, hot-spotting, etc.

curious to hear your feedback once it's setup and you'd had some time to adjust to the new screen. get ready to squint once in a while coming out of a dark scene.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

 


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

zombie10k is online now  
post #1600 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damnsam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Fixed frame, Cinema Contour 46x108 2.35........this is the MAX width I can go with my setup.


I have just one 3 seater couch which puts viewer eye level ~12.5' from the screen with a projector throw of ~17'. I have a rear closet/shelf mount projector that is ~1.5' overhead. I can remount the projector if needed a bit lower, but from my sample testing last night, I am getting most of the HP gain even in this current setup (I get a little bit more gain when I stand up with eye/lens at the same height, but not a bunch). The added punch of colors and whites was amazing just going off the sample. White looks white on my ST130 until I put up that HP sample which made white look WHITE........very cool Cant wait to mount this screen

Not sure if I told you this, but it turns out my first row is only 11.5ft from the screen at eye level, and I moved the front row up a few inches so its more like 11ft now And with my reclining seat I can get as close as 10.5ft to almost 12 ft from the screen. So I am quiet happy with my first row distance. The 2nd row is a while 18 ft away Sucks for those who show up late for movie night, the early bird gets the upclose 3D seats

Look forward to have you and JVC's Chris (CDEUTCH) over at my theater. I am off all day tomorrow, so really anytime sounds good. But I think you mentioned something about early evening working better for you, which is cool. I need to PM Chris to get his phone number. I will text you my address and quick directions.

Tomorrow night is 3D night at Cedar Peaks Cinema! WOOT!!!

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
damnsam77 is offline  
post #1601 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,523
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post

Sarcasm?

We've discussed this to death. As it finally turned out, "yes". But, he didn't make that realization easy.
erkq is offline  
post #1602 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damnsam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The cinema contour is a nice screen for the $$. The materials are strong and the velvet they wrap the frame with is excellent. I ordered 15 feet of this material to create my 2:35:1 masks, it already has a sticky backing to it, so no messing with staple guns, etc.

Many projectors will come and go, but the HP stays with me for a while. Given the right room conditions (projector location, seating width) it's hard to beat the HP for those who prefer a brighter image, especially on a larger screen. I think you will be surprised how smooth the screen is. IQ looks natural on this screen, no distracting sparkles, hot-spotting, etc.

curious to hear your feedback once it's setup and you'd had some time to adjust to the new screen. get ready to squint once in a while coming out of a dark scene.

JAson,
I have alreadu invited myself over to Todd's home for the HP unveiling, I am DYING to experience the HP2.8 goodness in person. And I know I will regret that decision because I will have to go home to my 1.1 gain screen

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
damnsam77 is offline  
post #1603 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The cinema contour is a nice screen for the $$. The materials are strong and the velvet they wrap the frame with is excellent. I ordered 15 feet of this material to create my 2:35:1 masks, it already has a sticky backing to it, so no messing with staple guns, etc.

Many projectors will come and go, but the HP stays with me for a while. Given the right room conditions (projector location, seating width) it's hard to beat the HP for those who prefer a brighter image, especially on a larger screen. I think you will be surprised how smooth the screen is. IQ looks natural on this screen, no distracting sparkles, hot-spotting, etc.

curious to hear your feedback once it's setup and you'd had some time to adjust to the new screen. get ready to squint once in a while coming out of a dark scene.

Thanks Zombie..........you have me excited! Great idea as far as ordering some extra velvet for masks.........might do this at some point.

I can already see what you mean about squinting coming out of a dark scene..........I was amazed last night how much more dynamic whites and colors looked compared to my ST130 and I can only imagine coming out of a dark scene to something bright........I will report back.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1604 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:05 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Not sure if I told you this, but it turns out my first row is only 11.5ft from the screen at eye level, and I moved the front row up a few inches so its more like 11ft now And with my reclining seat I can get as close as 10.5ft to almost 12 ft from the screen. So I am quiet happy with my first row distance. The 2nd row is a while 18 ft away Sucks for those who show up late for movie night, the early bird gets the upclose 3D seats

Look forward to have you and JVC's Chris (CDEUTCH) over at my theater. I am off all day tomorrow, so really anytime sounds good. But I think you mentioned something about early evening working better for you, which is cool. I need to PM Chris to get his phone number. I will text you my address and quick directions.

Tomorrow night is 3D night at Cedar Peaks Cinema! WOOT!!!

Looking forward to it Sam! Excited to see your HT in person. I would try to get over earlier, but I have to work until about 4. Anytime after that (whatever is good for you) is good for me.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1605 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damnsam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Looking forward to it Sam! Excited to see your HT in person. I would try to get over earlier, but I have to work until about 4. Anytime after that (whatever is good for you) is good for me.

6pm sounds good, I just texted you my address and directions to your phone which i assume receives texts. I will PM CDEUTCH to see if 6pm sounds good to him as well

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
damnsam77 is offline  
post #1606 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:08 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

JAson,
I have alreadu invited myself over to Todd's home for the HP unveiling, I am DYING to experience the HP2.8 goodness in person. And I know I will regret that decision because I will have to go home to my 1.1 gain screen

I will be getting ~2.1 or so out of the HP from my calculations at center seat from Flyboys calculator (I might remount the projector a bit lower at some point, but I might not if I am happy enough with it as is..........did not seem to loose a whole lot from my testing last night going from seated to eye/lens at the same level). Not quite the full 2.8, but close. You definitely need to come over when it arrives! I might need help hanging it as well if you dont mind, lol

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1607 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

6pm sounds good, I just texted you my address and directions to your phone which i assume receives texts. I will PM CDEUTCH to see if 6pm sounds good to him as well

Sounds good! PM me the address and directions if you dont mind..........I dont have text going right now.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1608 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
damnsam77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Beautiful Colorado
Posts: 2,293
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I might need help hanging it as well if you dont mind, lol

0

DONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Sounds good! PM me the address and directions if you dont mind..........I dont have text going right now.

And DONE!!

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
damnsam77 is offline  
post #1609 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,161
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked: 595
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

It's beginning to look alot like Christmas...Dee dee, da da, do do...
Todd, looky what I found under my tree!... Be back soon with some impressions...

see you are supposed to wait till christmas to open it. You have ruined the anticipation

Forum Sponsor // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1-866-651-0049 // \\
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #1610 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I will be getting ~2.1 or so out of the HP from my calculations at center seat from Flyboys calculator (I might remount the projector a bit lower at some point, but I might not if I am happy enough with it as is..........did not seem to loose a whole lot from my testing last night going from seated to eye/lens at the same level). Not quite the full 2.8, but close. You definitely need to come over when it arrives!I might need help hanging it as well if you dont mind, lol
Oh, my God, yes! The only thing bad about the HP is how much of a bear it can be to snap onto the frame if you're working by yourself. (I have a Cinema Contour, too.) Having two people will make it so much easier, and three is even better. That would probably make it a breeze. I must have lost 3 or 4 pounds in sweat, because I didn't get any help. Don't crease it. It's really very tough stuff, but you shouldn't fold it. Just unroll it. Obviously, don't put the viewing surface face down onto the floor, or against any abrasive surface. Just use common sense.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
post #1611 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
No doubt...........a 2 projector solution is just not in the cards for me and after seeing the 3d on the 40, I dont feel ANY need since it is the best 3d I have seen to date overall. I dont doubt the Acer is superior for ghosting, but considering how little I have seen on the 40, I just dont see this as being a significant advantage.........RBE on the other hand.........

As far as the contrast advantage on the JVC, IMAX Space Station is one where the superior JVC contrast would really stand out in comparison to the Acer which I kept thinking about the other night..........some of those shots of space with the shuttle or various objects in front of it are gorgeous with the JVCs contrast abilities that would just not have the same impact on something like the Acer with its pathetic contrast ratio.
You should see the projectors you criticize in action before you comment on their performance. I've seen Space Station with the Acer and there's lots of "white" in all "space scenes" so that it looks spectacular with deep blacks. I know what black on a projector can look like - my gamma corrected Sony G90 CRT holds a fade to black indefinitely and provides great shadow detail. I have no doubt that the JVC will do black overall much better than the Acer, but it actually does a nice job and on these type of mixed "dark scenes" and it really shines. You really should find someone that has an Acer set up for 3D and take a look - but wear old underwear, no point spoiling one of your good pairs.
Deja Vu is online now  
post #1612 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
You should see the projectors you criticize in action before you comment on their performance. I've seen Space Station with the Acer and there's lots of "white" in all "space scenes" so that it looks spectacular with deep blacks. I know what black on a projector can look like - my gamma corrected Sony G90 CRT holds a fade to black indefinitely and provides great shadow detail. I have no doubt that the JVC will do black overall much better than the Acer, but it actually does a nice job and on these type of mixed "dark scenes" and it really shines. You really should find someone that has an Acer set up for 3D and take a look - but wear old underwear, no point spoiling one of your good pairs.
I dont wear underwear, so that wont be an issue

I would Deja IF I could only get past the RBE This has to be my #1 picture anomalies issue. Any sign of RBE completely takes me out of the movie/experience. I have never seen a single chip DLP that did not drive me nuts because of this. Glad you like your Acer though and if not for RBE, I would be curious to see one, but because of this, I have no interest.

I find your first sentence hilarious in light of all your posts by the way Have you seen the JVC?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1613 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 13,067
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post
Oh, my God, yes! The only thing bad about the HP is how much of a bear it can be to snap onto the frame if you're working by yourself. (I have a Cinema Contour, too.) Having two people will make it so much easier, and three is even better. That would probably make it a breeze. I must have lost 3 or 4 pounds in sweat, because I didn't get any help. Don't crease it. It's really very tough stuff, but you shouldn't fold it. Just unroll it. Obviously, don't put the viewing surface face down onto the floor, or against any abrasive surface. Just use common sense.
Is it that hard?

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Toe is online now  
post #1614 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 08:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Apparently the HP screen accentuates "ghosting". So what we have here is a situation where a screen that really helps with the lack of 3D lumens actually is a negative because it enhances the visibility of an artifact that is caused by the projector and not by the screen. Sounds like a Catch 22 to me.
This is often easy to take care of. Close the iris(es), put the lamp on low, or if needing to go to another level of dimming put the projector a little further away from the viewing angle to get the images as dim as they would be with another screen. Brighter images have been a Catch 22 for years. They look better in a lot of ways, but make detail (good and bad) easier to see in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I have no interest in being the guinea pig for these manufacturers. The "ghosting" issue needs to be addressed. There should be no visible ghosting or, at the least, no more than DLP shows. Am I asking for too much?
Yes you are IMO. I would call it unreasonable as of this date. They are completely different techologies, so why do you claim that there should be no more than DLP shows? Just because that is what you want, or you actually believe that somebody messed up? IMO this is a little bit like blindly claiming that such and such a disease should have been cured without much understanding of what it would take to cure that one versus another one. LCOS has its advantages over DLP, but just based on the technology it should be obvious to anybody who knows how they work that it should be way easier to reduce ghosting with DLPs where the mirrors can flip fast enough for a colorwheel that puts up color segments at a rate of ~1000Hz or higher and where the contrast ratio from one millisecond to the next can be extremely high compared to levels where humans would see ghosting, with little effort (unlike LCOS). A person could claim that DLPs shouldn't have any more RBE than LCOS projectors, but that would make about as much sense as claiming that LCOS shouldn't have any more ghosting than DLPs at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I am simply not willing to go from a ghost free image to one with ghosting and pay a ton more money for the privilege.
Fine. Pick your poison, just as is normal in this hobby. How much money are we really talking about here? Would you really need to keep all your other projectors if you had an RS40, which most people would use for 2D and 3D and have at least close to state of the art for each at under $10k (and arguably higher). I wonder how many people starting from scratch would be willing to go with the multiple projector setup and HTPC like yours at this point over a single RS40. It might be a "ton more money" for you, but for another person looking at setting up a G90 like yours and an Acer it likely wouldn't be a ton of extra money to go the RS40 route instead (and possibly less money), especially if their time is worth something to them.

I think these other projectors need to get credit for having the 3D processing built in, especially until the Optoma device is available. I have an Acer, but it is still in the box because I don't really feel like spending the time and money to get it working with an HTPC for 3D when I can wait for the Optoma box instead. If that costs me $400 then the Acer won't be a $480 solution IMO even though that is what I got it for on a Black Friday deal, since I have to pay for processing that the RS40 has built in. Given what I would be willing to pay for the 2D performance of the RS40 I figure the 3D portion is costing me less than the Acer plus Optoma box (excluding glasses for each which is likely close to a wash, and that the 2D of the Acer is likely worth close to zero to me).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
The reason for this rant is simply that I would like to purchase, at a reasonable price, a 1080p 3D projector, with lens sift and some other bells and whistles that does not have the added bonus of "ghosting" thrown in at no extra cost.
Maybe you should be ranting at TI and the companies using their chips. They had the chips that were going to be naturally good in the ghosting department and basically haven't even delivered one that can be plugged in straight to a Blu-ray player and DIRECTV and work, let alone a 1080p model or one with lens-shift. IMO the JVC engineers have done a great job with what they have to work with as far as 3D and the technology they have at their disposal for their chips. Of course it will get better with time, but I am talking about in 2010.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
darinp2 is offline  
post #1615 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 465
The HP is not a tensioned screen material. It doesn't stretch a bit to make it fit. The fabric is punched with snaps to exactly line up with the snaps on the frame. There is no play. Its funny and you guys can attack me for saying it, but Dalite does not recommend the fabric for the best quality 2D viewing at 1080p. when I as requesting a quote for Toe, the Da-lite representative asked me why I was recommending this screen material. I told him it was to get ,ore gain in 3D. He said fine but be sure to tell the customer that 2D would suffer.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #1616 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
nightfly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The HP is not a tensioned screen material. It doesn't stretch a bit to make it fit. The fabric is punched with snaps to exactly line up with the snaps on the frame. There is no play. Its funny and you guys can attack me for saying it, but Dalite does not recommend the fabric for the best quality 2D viewing at 1080p. when I as requesting a quote for Toe, the Da-lite representative asked me why I was recommending this screen material. I told him it was to get ,ore gain in 3D. He said fine but be sure to tell the customer that 2D would suffer.
Yeah, the main reason I went with the HP was because it hangs better in my drop-down configuration. The lighter fabrics had terrible waves. If I could go fixed I'd go matte-white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
thanks for looking into this. I will try anything at this point, I just want my 430GT to sync to the RS40! I am forced to using a standalone BD player, I feel like i just stepped back into the stone age without access to my NAS.

I thought the older drivers didn't work in 3D with Powerdvd? I'll give this a shot tonight and report back.

edit: I should mention that I can see the post of the HTPC during the initial BIOS screen / Windows 7 boot, it's only once it syncs to the desktop that the JVC reports 2880x1080. I am hoping this is something in the drivers, but it only happens on the JVC, none of my other displays.
If the JVC is at the "correct" resolution during boot up and until the Nvidia driver loads, then well, it's likely a driver issue. Based upon the other issues reported on the nvidia forums, it is certainly possible. Also, just because your gt 430 works correctly with other output devices, doesn't mean it's not a nvidia driver issue. Graphics drivers are notorious for having vendor/device specific issues.

It's kinda like trying to convnce my QA department that "it works on my box" is proof that some issue they are reporting is not a bug.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteittinen View Post
Yeah, you can't go back very far to older drivers without losing 3D support. When I discussed the issue with Nvidia they offered plenty of suggestions but going back to older drivers was never mentioned.
Although I personally don't care about 3D and thus this wouldn't be an issue - testing with older/newer drivers might help prove where the problem lies regardless if you stay with the "working" version.

I recently moved from 265.66 to 198.49 as 265.66 was causing stability issues on my HTPC - not a good sign, but since they aren't official for the 4xx line, I'll give Nvidia a break there.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nightfly85 is offline  
post #1617 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
nightfly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 952
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Well I just joined the club.........ordered a 9' wide 2.35 2.8 HP screen today. I am only keeping one of my screens so either the ST130 will go or the HP once I have compared both...........should be interesting
I run a 114" diag HP in a 2.35 AR. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with 2.37 since so many movies now-a-days are coming out @ 2.40 AR. Not a big deal since a little zoom fixes it, even less would be even better no?

I may even go 2.40 in a couple of years, since in a CIH setup, it really doesn't matter - go with the widest you can given your height restrictions.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nightfly85 is offline  
post #1618 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post
.... Would you really need to keep all your other projectors if you had an RS40, which most people would use for 2D and 3D and have at least close to state of the art for each at under $10k (and arguably higher)...

IMO the JVC engineers have done a great job with what they have to work with as far as 3D and the technology they have at their disposal for their chips. Of course it will get better with time, but I am talking about in 2010.

--Darin
Close to state of the art for 2D and 3D from the RS40? Did I read that right? High praise from you, Darin. We need a fuller report, please.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
post #1619 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 11:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
darinp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 21,174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
The HP is not a tensioned screen material. It doesn't stretch a bit to make it fit. The fabric is punched with snaps to exactly line up with the snaps on the frame. There is no play. Its funny and you guys can attack me for saying it, but Dalite does not recommend the fabric for the best quality 2D viewing at 1080p. when I as requesting a quote for Toe, the Da-lite representative asked me why I was recommending this screen material. I told him it was to get ,ore gain in 3D. He said fine but be sure to tell the customer that 2D would suffer.
Da-Lite has been telling people stuff like that about the High Power for years. Doesn't change the reality of what can be accomplished when somebody knows how to put the properties of the High Power to good use IMO. To be fair, I haven't tested the new 2.4 gain version, but since Da-Lite was telling people not to use the old material I wouldn't put much stake in what they said here. I wonder how many of these Da-Lite representatives know that a higher gain screen can be used to accomplish darker absolute blacks.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
darinp2 is offline  
post #1620 of 10016 Old 12-20-2010, 11:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Joseph Clark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 10,423
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
Is it that hard?
Only if you're an idiot and try to do it alone. Two or three people won't have any trouble. With three, it should be a breeze. I also tried to follow the instructions, which indicated that one should do the snaps while the screen was on the floor (face up, of course, but those instructions may have changed.) I'd suggest you have your helpers hold the screen and the assembled frame in place, upright, while you do the snaps. Just don't let it crease or fold. That could damage the beads. The wall mount is simple and easy to use. You'll need a level.

Joe Clark

Joseph Clark is online now  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off