Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 130
My original concern with 3D on these new projectors was flicker, because of the relatively low 48hz/sec/eye frame rate. I'm still very anxious to get opinions about this performance aspect. I suspect I might be able to deal with a little flicker, but it still has me concerned.

Your screen shots have me salivating, Sam, especially since you keep saying they don't do the projector justice. I've never seen a projector with such high native contrast, and the prospect of inky blacks and bright highlights at the same time is very exciting. I've done a good job of keeping my anticipation in check so far, but the closer we get the more impatient I become.

Joe Clark

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sam, have you been able to try gaming on your RS40? I'm interested in motion resolution and latency.
post #153 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miller View Post

Sam, have you been able to try gaming on your RS40? I'm interested in motion resolution and latency.

+1

please say you're a gamer sam, and say you will test out modern warfare 2 for us... *quietly prays to the heavens*
post #154 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

I may not be understanding the question, but the RS40 does detect frame packed 3D, however, and with me not having an emitter in place, it did not automatically go into 3D picture mode (which is actually 8500K). Maybe with Adam now being the first to have the RS40 and 3D emitter he can shed some light on this questions

I know that you can switch colorspace and picture modes in both 3D and 2D viewing, but it's best to view 3D with the 3D picture preset.

I have been reading further in the manual and think this might be my best option but please let me know.
Use the user presets, one for HDTV (directv viewing), second for 2D Bluray movies, third one for 3D. I believe this is possible. Seems like the best option as color, contrast and brightness ect. might need to be adjusted for each incoming signal.
Also when you have a 3D single coming into the projector, lets just say frame packed bluray, it will be auto detected and go into 3D picture mode in the picture mode option which is the 85000k setting?
post #155 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sam,

ImageShack gives you a fair amount of free storage space. I use it for my AVS screen shots.

Joe Clark

post #156 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM

I just received my RS40 an hour ago. I'm sad to report that my RPAU does NOT fit. S**T. I admit that I'm not the jigsaw puzzle expert but getting 4 screws in the plate is not possible. Its short by a few millis. I can actually see 2 screws but they don't fit.

Plan B is to set it over my AV rack. I don't know if it will have enough horizontal shift to pull it off though... I will find out soon enough.

GO HABS GO!
post #157 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

I just received my RS40 an hour ago. I'm sad to report that my RPAU does NOT fit. S**T. I admit that I'm not the jigsaw puzzle expert but getting 4 screws in the plate is not possible. Its short by a few millis. I can actually see 2 screws but they don't fit.

Plan B is to set it over my AV rack. I don't know if it will have enough horizontal shift to pull it off though... I will find out soon enough.

the hell you say?!

i'll make mine fit..
post #158 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

the hell you say?!

i'll make mine fit..

I would be the happiest guy if someone could publicly humiliate me and show me how!

GO HABS GO!
post #159 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Sam,

Just a quick question when you commented on the contrast of the 40 vs the 20 did you take into consideration the lamp hour difference between the two? (0 hrs on the 40 vs 1300hrs on the 20). Are the blacks really that much better?

Thanks!
post #160 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 04:09 PM

Can anyone quickly recommend 1 good must have THX BLU-RAY demo disc. I'd like to purchase this now while I wait for my rs40 to arrive.

I know a lot of demo DVD's will have great 7.1 audio so this will be great when demonstrating eye candy to friends and family.

(AVS hd 709 will be used for other testing.)

Thanks in advance!
Jay
post #161 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

So I have both the emitter and one pair of JVC OEM glasses On the promise that I can return them (jvc glasses) within 30 days in like new condition. I was straight up with them and told them that I will more than likely return them (JVC glasses) if they don't offer a brighter and overall better image than the Universal Xpands 103s, they were curious to find out as well so they will allow the return as long as I share my findings. So I didn't mind paying the outrageous full retail price since more than likely I will return them.

The great news is that I will hopefully be able to provide a comparison testing results between the X103 and JVC tonight, probably later than 10pm and maybe midnight (mountain time)

Quote:

Holy CRAP! I just got a call from another local dealer in Denver (primarily selling X series) and they have a couple of emitters in stock, so I am heading over to pick one up. And one my other dealer (cspring) hands me my emitter, hopefully in the next few days, or next week, I will offer it for the retail cost and shipping to anyone interested, with already an RS40 in hand

By the way, this dealer also has 3 pairs of glasses in stock. they had akeady sold their two X3's and three x7's. but had some emitters and glasses left over.

-Sam

CEDAR PEAKS CINEMA (Now w/ 3D)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #162 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

I would be the happiest guy if someone could publicly humiliate me and show me how!

Well if it just a wee bit short get a rat tail file (a round one) and elongate the holes. Otherwise there's always a drill....

Geof
post #163 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

So I have both the emitter and one pair of JVC OEM glasses On the promise that I can return them (jvc glasses) within 30 days in like new condition. I was straight up with them and told them that I will more than likely return them (JVC glasses) if they don't offer a brighter and overall better image than the Universal Xpands 103s, they were curious to find out as well so they will allow the return as long as I share my findings. So I didn't mind paying the outrageous full retail price since more than likely I will return them.

The great news is that I will hopefully be able to provide a comparison testing results between the X103 and JVC tonight, probably later than 10pm and maybe midnight (mountain time)

Although you probably have posted it before, what screen material are you using? If it 's one that doesn't maintain any polarization then the JVC glasses and the X103s should be virtually the same. Otherwise the JVC should give a brighter image due to the correct polarization alignment.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #164 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 PM

sorry but just trying to follow the multiple replies here on mounts ......so can anyone confirm that the chief SLMU bracket does work with the 40/50/60 ?

Quote:

Mark, they are actually Chief legs as I had someone at Chief visually confirm, but he also confirmed that they are the much older legs (circa 2008) and that I will either need to buy the SLBU kit, or just buy a new RPMA-U complete kit with the SLMU bracket.

post #165 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Sam. They are indeed older Chief legs. I found that out today. The new legs look nothing like the old.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #166 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:

Good to know Jon. The whole weight thing is what I dread, the new PJ is a monster, it's like a friggin conviction oven, yeah it's THAT big! Your non-AV friend will be shocked to see that they still make projectors that big, and even that "majestic" looking for such little money on the RS40 and RS50, this is why I said this PJ looks like a Million bucks!!! but anyhow the PJ is too darn big and much heavier than the RS20 or your typical Epson/Panny projectors, which is why I am willing to buy the new "lock/release" mount this way I can mount the ceiling plate and pipe plus the top portion of the mount, then simply click the universal bracket with the PJ into place, if I am not mistake on how this works.

Either you guys have never delt with or have never had a CRT. I'm replacing a Marquee 9500 CRT. it is 2' by 2.5' and weighs 220 lbs. It takes 4 ropes, 4 pulleys and 4 people to get it to the ceiling mount.

Damnsam77, thanks for the info and reviews while we're waiting. i think that if I was the first to recieve one of the RS's I would have been real tempted to say "I'll be back in 2 or 3 weeks to give you guys some info". Thank you for the consideration.
post #167 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 06:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Could someone PM avs price on the rs-40? I haven't heard back from Jason. Thanks in advance!
post #168 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Alright so now you ARE the designated lucky S.O.Gun! you got the whole package! I sure hope my emitter pops up here soon.

Weren't you supposed to be working today??

AND . . . Did you pick up the mount??

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #169 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 06:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Well, I'm going to try to stay up for that report, Sam. Could you try to look for any contrast differences between the JVCs and 103s? I have two different sets of glasses for my 3D plasma (still don't have the 103s yet, though). My Samsung glasses have better contrast than the Ultra-clears I just got, but they have sync problems (randomly lose sync - I'm talking with the store where I got them to try to get the problem resolved). For me, the Ultra-clears are a bit brighter, but they tend to make the 3D image look flatter - hardly desirable for 3D. I haven't been able to compensate with image adjustments in the panel, but I haven't experimented too much yet. It's another area we'll no doubt be talking about in coming months.

Joe Clark

post #170 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I just got home (2 Mins ago) with the RPMA-U, the replacement AVR 4311, and the emitter/glasses. It will take me at least two hours from now to get back on here so stay tuned.

Oh and PLEASE PRAY that my new 4311 does not exhibit the blue rain syndrome. If you are an atheist, wishing will also be acceptable

post #171 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:25 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Cine4home's preview of the X3/X7 seems to reflect satisfaction with the "Normal" preset which is supposed to be REC.709. Not perfect, but much improved over previous JVC's.
post #172 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc View Post

Cine4home's preview of the X3/X7 seems to reflect satisfaction with the "Normal" preset which is supposed to be REC.709. Not perfect, but much improved over previous JVC's.

Yes, it's very encouraging. I can't justify spending RS50-dollars for any first gen 3D machine. I suspect in a year or two we'll have much better 3D projectors, but I really like the RS40's bang for the buck right now. I got a Panasonic 4000 about a year ago for the same reason - didn't want to spend a lot before a 3D projector hit the market, but was ready for an upgrade. That feels like a smart move at this point, and I suspect I'll feel the same way about the RS40 next year.

Joe Clark

post #173 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK, time for some updates. I'm really blown away by the difference from my RS1. A huge difference. I thought the RS1 was a fantastic projector and really didnt want more and at times thought it was too bright. I have to say that I didnt think that it was going to be this good right out of the box. I have not done any adjustments and really enjoyed the 3D. There was some weird panning action in 3D but it only happened with Airbender which the movie looks crappy in 2D. I'll watch a few more movies but I also watched Shrek 2 in 3D for a few and was blown away. I'll try to post a better review later this week after I get some time to play with it more but I have to wake up early tomorrow so I am going to bed but not before some sweet picture comparisons.

I put the X3 on the lower left and the 1300 hour RS1 on the upper right. I just hit each preset on the remote to show a comparison but I'll show the first two which is film and cinema and then the last is 3D. I used my iPhone and focused on the X3 so you see that it darkens the RS1 in comparison. HUGE difference.

Front shot unboxed

Top shot. A metallic almost blueish-gray color

Shot of the new equipment going in tonight

Film mode

Cinema mode

3D mode

Since my camera auto adjusts its hard to determine the differences in the X3 modes but you can see how much it darkens the RS1 image when compared to the others. I hope you all enjoy the shots Sorry their so crappy but I didnt want to take the time to get my SLR out.

Adam

My Theater build

post #174 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I just got home (2 Mins ago) with the RPMA-U, the replacement AVR 4311, and the emitter/glasses. It will take me at least two hours from now to get back on here so stay tuned.

Oh and PLEASE PRAY that my new 4311 does not exhibit the blue rain syndrome. If you are an atheist, wishing will also be acceptable

I'm surprised your adrenal glands haven't withered and died, Sam. I have to tell you that it's great having someone with your enthusiasm for this projector on the case. Thanks again. Don't worry. There are many of us still stuck at the starting gate, but rarin' to go. Relief is on the way.

Joe Clark

post #175 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

See, Adam's already on it.

Joe Clark

post #176 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I'm surprised your adrenal glands haven't withered and died, Sam. I have to tell you that it's great having someone with your enthusiasm for this projector on the case. Thanks again. Don't worry. There are many of us still stuck at the starting gate, but rarin' to go. Relief is on the way.

Thanks man, i will probably crash unexpectedly at any given point tonight but i am running high on pure AV adrenalin, and looks like Adam's got the bug too! Loom at those projector shoot screenshots! Nice!

BTW, I do have my priorities straight for my AVS peeps so I am testing the RPMUA mount first and foremost before testing my AVR4311. The arms are longer than the old ones so lets keep the hope alive!

post #177 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Yes, it's very encouraging. I can't justify spending RS50-dollars for any first gen 3D machine.

I agree...I think JVC kinda blew it with their pricing on the RS50. You're really only getting CMS and concievably, "un-noticable" better blacks. They should have priced the 50 about a grand above the 40, then alot more folks would have pulled the trigger on one.
post #178 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 PM

adammb...keep in mind, your bulb probably has some miles on it compared to the brand new one in the RS40 right?
post #179 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

adammb...keep in mind, your bulb probably has some miles on it compared to the brand new one in the RS40 right?

Yeah, I posted that it has 1300 hours on it. But it is still a huge difference

Adam

My Theater build

post #180 of 10015 Old 12-08-2010, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Look at the other thread where I posted my "mock up" looks like it might work. But if it is off on the last bolt for you, please report back if a drilling of that outside hole can be done without compromising the side wall.

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page