Official JVC RS40/X3 Owners Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Adammb the pj looks slick! I'm pretty sure I like the looks of the X3 over the RS40, is AVS only going to carry the RS40 or will they have the X3 too? Adammb, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your X3 from and did you pay MSRP? (don't think you can post actual price paid but I believe you can say if it was at or under MSRP) Thanks!

-Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 08:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 319
I don't understand what is different looking. The only cosmetic difference is the color of a thin band on the lens and the lens is hidden behind the auto lens cover in these photos.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #183 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Well, I'm going to try to stay up for that report, Sam. Could you try to look for any contrast differences between the JVCs and 103s? I have two different sets of glasses for my 3D plasma (still don't have the 103s yet, though). My Samsung glasses have better contrast than the Ultra-clears I just got, but they have sync problems (randomly lose sync - I'm talking with the store where I got them to try to get the problem resolved). For me, the Ultra-clears are a bit brighter, but they tend to make the 3D image look flatter - hardly desirable for 3D. I haven't been able to compensate with image adjustments in the panel, but I haven't experimented too much yet. It's another area we'll no doubt be talking about in coming months.

Get in line Joe! He's gotta get the mount to work before 3D impression(s)! God let's hope it works for all our sakes!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #184 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Get in line Joe! He's gotta get the mount to work before 3D impression(s)! God let's hope it works for all our sakes!

Hell, just set that sucker on some orange crates and lets roll!...
post #185 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Dam you Sam. I have got to stay up to hear ahem read your report on the mount. I wish I were in Chicago and Kevin and I could sip a few high end bourbons while we are waiting. Basil Hayden the first and then maybe a Bookers.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #186 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

Adammb the pj looks slick! I'm pretty sure I like the looks of the X3 over the RS40, is AVS only going to carry the RS40 or will they have the X3 too? Adammb, if you don't mind me asking, where did you get your X3 from and did you pay MSRP? (don't think you can post actual price paid but I believe you can say if it was at or under MSRP) Thanks!

-Sean

Sean,

AVS is only a dealer for the Pro line of JVC so your only option is Gold! AVS' pricing is some of the best out there (plus you're helping to support a phenomenal site to boot!).

Kevin

Come on Sammy boy... tic toc, tic toc. Get that ratchet (and drill??) moving faster!!

Kevin

post #187 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Dam you Sam. I have got to stay up to hear ahem read your report on the mount. I wish I were in Chicago and Kevin and I could sip a few high end bourbons while we are waiting. Basil Hayden the first and then maybe a Bookers.

Oh God that sounds good but I can do one better! I've got an unopened rare bottle of single barrel Blanton's bourbon sitting in my mini-bar! This success would be enough to motivate me to crack that Mitch wide open!

Kevin

post #188 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It comes down to one of the spider legs being a quarter inch too short! Son of a #%^!!! I really wish JVC and Chief tried to pick up and phone and talk to one another! Very shortsighted of both companies to not do the bare minimum communication ahead of the projectors hitting the production and shipping stages.

And trust me when I say, there is no way that it will work, no matter how many different combination of holes I tried to use. Bottom line, Chief was wrong, and they will need tp update the universal legs or bracket.

post #189 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't understand what is different looking. The only cosmetic difference is the color of a thin band on the lens and the lens is hidden behind the auto lens cover in these photos.

Well, the badging is white as well. Lol, I know these are minor details and the pj sits behind me and its in the dark most of the time, but still. Its kind of like the color of your car, just because you don't see it while you're driving doesn't mean you don't care what color it is. Not saying that I wouldn't buy an RS40 because of the gold, but if I was given the option I would choose the X3. You also have to remember, Mark, that I have a lady that doesn't really approve of this hobby in the first place and the better things look (we have nothing that the gold would "go with") the less I have to hear about it. She has yet to see either pj, as she doesn't get excited about these things, but I assume she would prefer the X3 due to appearance. Truth be told she would prefer that I get neither as "the projector we have works just fine". Someone has to understand where I'm coming from here, theres no way I'm the only one! Or am I?

-Sean
post #190 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I do have a half finished bottle of Blanton's. I have a special Blanton's holder for the bottle. Blanton`s has a small metal likeness of a Ky racehorse and jockey affixed to the cork. There are actually 8 different race positions that the metal likeness is in. One for each letter in Blanton's B L A N T O N' and S. The B one is the jockey sitting in the saddle and the S is the jockey raising his whip up under the finish line saluting the crowd. Blanton's on the web site store sells the wood bottle holder with eight holes around around the front circumference to display the eight bottle top set and the piece includes the eight tops. All it is missing is the bottle filled to go in the middle.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #191 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Advanced Member

As for the bourbons, I've been to Chicago's Whiskey Fest two years in a row now, and I still haven't found anything that can beat Maker's Mark.

-Sean
post #192 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

So I have both the emitter and one pair of JVC OEM glasses...

See Sam, dreams really do come true! Tonight try to go for the supermodels. And by that I really mean supermodels, not super models (aka RS40/50/60).
post #193 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It comes down to one of the spider legs being a quarter inch too short! Son of a #%^!!! I really wish JVC and Chief tried to pick up and phone and talk to one another! Very shortsighted of both companies to not do the bare minimum communication ahead of the projectors hitting the production and shipping stages.

And trust me when I say, there is no way that it will work, no matter how many different combination of holes I tried to use. Bottom line, Chief was wrong, and they will need tp update the universal legs or bracket.

MotherF'r!!!!!!!!!!! I was afraid of that BUT would it work if you extended that hole with a drill (like oblong and using a cut washer??)??

Kevin

post #194 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do havre a half finished bottle of Blanton's. I have a special Blanton's holder for the bottle. Blanton`s has a small metal likeness of a Ky racehorse and jockey affixed to the cork. There are actually 8 different race positions that the metal likeness is in. One for each letter in Blanton's B L A N T O N' and S. The B one is the jockey sitting in the saddle and the S is the jockey raising his whip up under the finish line saluting the crowd. Blanton's on the web site store sells the wood bottle holder and a hole around the front circumference to display the eight bottle top set and the piece includes the eight tops. All it is missing is the bottle filled to go in the middle.

I still need 4 more to get the 8 Mark but I now know you know your bourbon's; nice! Unfortunately we won't be cracking it any time soon unless you wanna use my bottle to crack it over JVC & Chiefs head!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 230-SEAN View Post

As for the bourbons, I've been to Chicago's Whiskey Fest two years in a row now, and I still haven't found anything that can beat Maker's Mark.

-Sean

OMG, never heard of it but they better take everyone's keys for that!!

Kevin

post #195 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

And as far as I'm concerned Chief better do right by us and either provide the new custom plate or two new longer legs FREE OF CHARGE!!

Kevin

post #196 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Jason or Mark,

My order includes what is supposed to be the appropriate universal Chief mount (to work with the LSB-100 and RPA). Does the order need to be amended, or is it going to be the correct one by the time my RS40 ships? I doubt I'm in the first group, since there was some confusion when Jason was making the first set of pre-order calls. I'm probably down further on the list.

Joe Clark

post #197 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Quote:

Bummer! Sorry to hear that Sam.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #198 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

Jason or Mark,

My order includes what is supposed to be the appropriate universal Chief mount (to work with the LSB-100 and RPA). Does the order need to be amended, or is it going to be the correct one by the time my RS40 ships? I doubt I'm in the first group, since there was some confusion when Jason was making the first set of pre-order calls. I'm probably down further on the list.

Mark indicated off line that AVS is working hard to sort this out and to stay patient so please don't bombard them with PM's or anything 'cause they know what needs to be done here.

Todd - I just bet you are! Were you going the Chief route too??

I think Sam is slumped in his theater chair... Passed out!!

Kevin

post #199 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

OK. This is what I have feared from late this afternoon. Obviously, the thing will work by enlarging one hole or drilling one hole. My guess is the Chief fix will be to supply two longer legs. The legs look like a channel with different end caps so all that would be necessary when Chief assembles the parts for the legs to make a leg would be to increase the part length of the channel by about 1.5 inches. Of course Chief doesn`t have any longer legs or longer channels in inventory so it will require manufacturing and this will take a lead time probably of several weeks. Hopefully one could live with increasing the size of one hole and then when the longer legs become available, squaring the plate up and making everything nice. Stay cool guys. Its not the end of the world, a temporary fix looks like it will work, Sam is trying it tonight, and then in a few weeks longer legs should be available.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #200 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Mark indicated off line that AVS is working hard to sort this out and to stay patient so please don't bombard them with PM's or anything 'cause they know what needs to be done here.

Todd - I just bet you are! Were you going the Chief route too??

No.........I am mad/frustrated for Sam. I am doing a shelf mount. I just love how excited he is with all this (very cool to have a new local friend that is into HT since none of my other friends are into this hobby) and it is a bummer this is happening

post #201 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 10:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Joe. The Chief universal part is called the SLB-U for the RPA and the SLM-U for the RPM. Both the SLB-U and the SLM-U are the same, plate size and legs. From what we have been gathering late this afternoon with our own tests and with AVS members such as DamnSam, the legs are too short, three work when the plate is cantered to not line up with the sides while the fourth is a tad too short. It looks like one hole could be slightly elongated pr a new hole drilled to hold things tight and safely until Chief offers longer legs. We are working on this now and Chief should have a JVC very soon to verify it all, and measure for longer legs and then make them. We can`t ship the right legs until Chief makes them. More tomorrow.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #202 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

No.........I am mad/frustrated for Sam. I am doing a shelf mount. I just love how excited he is with all this (very cool to have a new local friend that is into HT since none of my other friends are into this hobby) and it is a bummer this is happening

I hear ya bro! I feel like sheeot for him right now!!

Kevin

post #203 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 10:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

Hell, just set that sucker on some orange crates and lets roll!...

He lives in Colorodo Chuck; not Beverly Hills (with the Hillbilly's!). Plus you've seen Sams pics; no orange in the room to coordinate!

Kevin

post #204 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 10:25 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adammb View Post

OK, time for some updates. I'm really blown away by the difference from my RS1. A huge difference. I thought the RS1 was a fantastic projector and really didnt want more and at times thought it was too bright. I have to say that I didnt think that it was going to be this good right out of the box. I have not done any adjustments and really enjoyed the 3D. There was some weird panning action in 3D but it only happened with Airbender which the movie looks crappy in 2D. I'll watch a few more movies but I also watched Shrek 2 in 3D for a few and was blown away. I'll try to post a better review later this week after I get some time to play with it more but I have to wake up early tomorrow so I am going to bed but not before some sweet picture comparisons.

I put the X3 on the lower left and the 1300 hour RS1 on the upper right. I just hit each preset on the remote to show a comparison but I'll show the first two which is film and cinema and then the last is 3D. I used my iPhone and focused on the X3 so you see that it darkens the RS1 in comparison. HUGE difference.

Since my camera auto adjusts its hard to determine the differences in the X3 modes but you can see how much it darkens the RS1 image when compared to the others. I hope you all enjoy the shots Sorry their so crappy but I didnt want to take the time to get my SLR out.

VERY cool! I am coming from a RS1 as well and your post has me excited for when I can finally fire my 40 up!

post #205 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 10:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

Joe. The Chief universal part is called the SLB-U for the RPA and the SLM-U for the RPM. Both the SLB-U and the SLM-U are the same, plate size and legs. From what we have been gathering late this afternoon with our own tests and with AVS members such as DamnSam, the legs are too short, three work when the plate is cantered to not line up with the sides while the fourth is a tad too short. It looks like one hole could be slightly elongated to hold things tight and safely until Chief offers longer legs. We are working on this now and Chief should have a JVC very soon to verify it all, and measure for longer legs and then make them. We can`t ship the right legs until Chief makes them. More tomorrow.

Thanks, Mark. It's not a problem. I'm fairly good at improvising, so I'm not concerned about a delay.

Joe Clark

post #206 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First, sorry if i am not following up on every post left for me in the past 4 hours or so. I am trying to stay focused here to get this son of a gun mounted so i could finally enjoy some 3D goodness.

I talked with Mark twice this evening and he, and i believe Kevin, both had the idea of drilling another hole to make it work. Mark sort of hinted that as a guinea pig he could cover my back if the this idea ruins a perfectly good bracket (good for other PJs) plus the bracket is about the cheapest part to "F" up. so I took his advice and Kevin's and found the closest hole location I could find that would work. The hole has been drilled and the bolts are tightened. The only slight problem I see is that the spider legs are not all level because the new drilled hole requires that 4th leg to go over the filter's borders which is sticking out like a 1/4 inch or maybe 1/8th. But i think once the PJ is mounted upside down it will lift all 4 legs hopefully equally.

And as the original pre-drill pictures indicated, the whole bracket itself is not aligned with the "squareness" of the projector. Nothing changed here after drilling the whole, the bracket will have to stay misaligned until we get a new FREE bracket or longer legs.

Also I should mention that I had to make one of the existing original holes a tad bit wider so that everything fits nicely.

Just for the record, this new hole idea is only a temporary fix until Chief supplies us with a new bracket or longer legs which like Kevin said SHOULD BE FREEE DANG IT!!! Especially for some of us who had just purchased this mount for the RS40 and being told it will work by Chuef's own customer support, in addition to the ones who have purchased it over the past year or so with the "universal" long term in mind.

Anyhow here are the new pictures:

post #207 of 9995 Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Why not drill new holes in the projector that fit the holes in the mount?
post #208 of 9995 Old 12-09-2010, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Why not drill new holes in the projector that fit the holes in the mount?

I am pretty sure you are fukcing with me!
post #209 of 9995 Old 12-09-2010, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Disclaimer: this is purely based on 30 mins viewing of Open Season 3D,viewing additional content my increase or decrease my liking of the RS40 in 3D (I will post additional 3D impressions in the next 24 hours using other type of 3D material, like DirecTV 3D documentaries, IMAX blurays, Sports, live action 3D movies) and only then I can give you the full feedback.

Guys and gals,

I know y'all are sleeping and having nice dreams about the 3D possibilities on your new RS40/50/60 but then the Darkness Monster with his doom and gloom scares you about how dim your new JVC projector is gonna be in 3D. But then I come and wake all of you up to let you know this mother f-in projector is Too Gosh Darn Bright in 3D that I almost wanted to wear sunglasses over the 3D ones. Yes you heard me right!!! The RS40 is super bright in 3D and even with the Xpand X103 or JVC OEM glasses in active mode, this thing is still a light canon in 3D and almost overbearingly bright even with th glasses turned on, I actually took the brightness down from 0 to -7 because it was too bright for me, even though I am projecting 15 ft away against a 9.5 foot wide 16x9 AT screen with only 1.1 gain. I know it's a new bulb and all, but gosh darn it it's freakin bright! I will be happy if it goes down to a 1/3rd or half brigthness by 1000 hours. To put it to you in perspective, the projected 3D image with glasses on was almost 50% brighter than my Old RS20 at 1300 hours, I wanna say almost 70% brighter than and RS20 at half life but I don't ewanna get too excited.

I really think that mot of us blew the whole brightness thing out of proportion based on preproduction reviews and early demos. After experiencing the first 30 mins in 3D i Definitely have no desire to get an HP screen, because it will be extremely bright and no longer enjoyable, but hey thats just me. But I definitely don't want to see how much brighter it will be with an HP screen, it will definitely be blinding!

Hats off to JVC for blowing me away, all my brightness and polarization worries have completely gone away after viewing 30 mins of Open Season in 3D. I gotta tell you my eyes hurt, not from 3D but from the brightness but again i have been up for almost 24 hours now, so my eyes may just be weak, but there is no mistaking the significantly increased brigthness in 3D mode. I really wish I could get all of you in the same room with me to see what i am seeing and get excited as i have over the past 45 mins.

Here is another mind blowing thought! The 3D quality in this RS40 pretty much blows away my Sony 55HX800 and the Panasonic 3D Plasmas I have seen on demo at Bestbuy, it really makes them appear inferior once you see the 3D effect and the sharpness of it against a 100"- 120" screen.

And get ready for this! The 3D RS40 image (with the Xpand or JVC glasses in active mode) is much brighter than my Sony HX800 LED flat panel, I was completely surprised as everyone told me that its highly unlined that the RS40 will be as bright as the current crop of 3D flat panels, but instead it looks like not only the RS40 is bright, but it's noticeably brighter than my Sony, I would say by a least 30%. I almost want to return my Sony HX800 but I got such a good deal on it that i will keep it for 2D viewing y in the living room, and very occasional 3D viewing as I do not intend to ruin my 3D appetite on an inferior 55" flat panel. Yeah i said it, INFERIOR!! You guys have no idea what's in store for you, I would recommend you have a change of underwear handy when you have your first 3D viewing on the RS40/X3, your mind will be blown and you may pee a little.

I don't know what else to say other than WOW!!!! I cannot believe this amazing technology is in my theater!!! And will hopefully be on all of your Theaters very very soon! Man you have no idea how good we will have it in comparison to 3D flatpanel owners. The current 3D flat panels cannot touch the Sheer DEPTH, color, brigthness and magnified sharpness this projector has over the flat panels, they don't stand a chance!!!

No remember that I only watched 30 mins of Open Season which is a very colorful and bright movie, and this movie exhibited no ghosting on the RS40 and it looks hands down better on the RS40 than my Sony HX800 in every aspect of picture quality you can think of. Check out the next post as i will also discuss the differences (or should i say lack of differences) between the Xpand X103 glasses and the JVC OEM glasses.
post #210 of 9995 Old 12-09-2010, 02:34 AM

Liked: 11
How is the stutter? I have had a feeling production models might be brighter then pre-prod.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page