Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
THE OFFICIAL JVC RS40 & X3 OWNER'S THREAD:

Welcome to the Official JVC RS40/X3 thread. I was lucky enough to have gotten one of the first few and scarce RS40 projectors in the US on 12/07/10, in addition to "TOE" who also picked up his RS40 with me today from our local dealer (So feel free to bug him too, PLEASE! ).

I will do my best to communicate with everyone in the meantime and ease the anticipation pain until hopefully everyone, or almost everyone, has their RS40 in hand, and hopefully before Christmas. I am really hoping more people start receiving their RS40s or X3's this week so to ease the early testing burden on TOE and myself. I will go ahead and save the next few posts, just incase we need them to post calibrations, configurations, Firmware update notifications and such.

I should mention that I did not receive the 3D emitter with the projector today, but I do have the Xpand X103 universal glasses and I intend to test them against the JVC OEM glasses as soon as the emitter arrives. And for the record, I have an 18 ft throw distance against an 11 ft wide 2.37:1 CIH AT Screen with a 1.1 gain. I also operate in a 100% lighting-controlled batcave, with Red/Black GOM fabric walls, due to sound treatment.

I have the RS40 in hand and will be home in the next 2-3 hours to get it set up, so stay tuned.

GO BRONCOS!!!

-Sam

SCREEN SHOTS INDEX:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are only preliminary Pre-Calibration settings just to get you going, we are still waiting on input from other members as more RS40's start trickling down and shipping out to more people soon. However, many have reported to have very good initial results in image quality by using the following settings:

2D Picture settings:
  • Natural preset
  • Aperture between -5 and -10 (new bulb against low gain screen)
  • Normal lamp mode
  • Color space: standard (rec709)
  • Color temp: 6500
  • Gamma: A, or B
  • Sharpness: 15
  • Detail: 15 to 25
  • Brightness/contrast/tint: 0
  • Color saturation: up to your discretion (i have mine at 25)

3D Picture settings:
  • 3D Preset
  • Aperture between -5 for new bulb against low gain screens, and up to -10 against HP screens
  • High lamp mode (default in 3D preset)
  • colorspace: Wide 1 (others liked Standard in 3D on HP screen)
  • Color temp: 8500 (default in 3D)
  • Gamma: B (3D) on Low Gain screens, others w/ HP screens liked A (3D) more.
  • Sharpness: 15
  • Detail: 25
  • Brightness/contrast/tint: 0
  • Color saturation: up to your discretion (i have mine at 25)

2D Gaming Picture settings:
Coming Soon!!!

3D Gaming Picture settings:
Coming Soon!!!

Clear Motion Drive (available in 2D only)
  • Modes 1 and 2, which are the dark frame interpolation modes, exhibit some color fringing on fast moving or panning scenes, but less noticeable with actual movie viewing than when watching a typical screen saver font such as the Oppo logo during the Oppo's screen saver mode.
  • Modes 3 and 4 seem to look great for sports, cable and network TV and possibly blu-ray films if you like the whole extra sharp/smooth look for film. I find that Mode 3 particulalrly as a good compromise where the sharpness and smoothness look great, without much of the "extra realistic waxy or soap opera-ish" look exhibited on older 1st gen FI-enabled displays.
post #3 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here you can view multiple Post Calibration settings for the RS40 below provided by AVS members who have properly calibrated their RS40 projectors (Thanks to all members for sharing and contributing - Please keep those post calibration settings coming)

AVS' HIGHLY RECOMMENDED CALIBRATION READ:
CLICK HERE to view Kal's "Calibration Guide for Dummies."

UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE, CALIBRATIONS LISTED FOR 2D VIEWING ONLY

DennisBP Post Calibration RS40 settings (After 65 hours):

Click Here For More Details on DennisBP's Calibration Post (Post 65 hours on 1st bulb)

- Calibrated using ChromaPure and a VideoEq
- Screen Size: 100" 16x9
- Screen Type:/Gain: ST130 (1.3 Gain)
- Throw Ratio: 2.1
- Hours on Lamp: 65
  • Color Mode: User1
  • Contrast 15
  • Brightness -6
  • Color 10
  • Tint 1
  • Sharpness 0
  • Gain Red -2
  • Gain Green -3
  • Gain Blue 0
  • Offset Red -9
  • Offset Green -5
  • Offset Blue 0
  • Color Space Standard
  • Lens Aperature 0
  • Lamp Power Normal
  • Hdmi Input - Enhanced

DennisBP Post Calibration RS40 settings (Out of box - within first 5 hours):

Click Here For More Details on DennisBP's Calibration Post

- Calibrated using ChromaPure and then VideoEQ.
- Screen Size: 100" 16x9
- Screen Type/Gain: ST130 screen (1.3 gain)
- Throw Ratio: 2.13

• Color Mode: Natural
  • Contrast 1
  • Brightness 0
  • Color -9
  • Tint -2
  • Sharpness 0
  • Color Space Standard
  • Lens Aperature 0
  • Gain Red 0
  • Gain Green 0
  • Gain Blue -16
  • Offset Red -3
  • Offset Green -2
  • Offset Blue 0

AmigoHD's Post Calibration RS40 settings:

Click Here For More Details on AmigoHD's Calibration Post

- Calibrated by homecinema.ch, certified isf, haa and thx dealer.
- Screen Size: ???
- Screen Type: ???
- Screen Gain: ???
- Throw Distance or Ratio: ???
  • picture mode: cinema
  • contrast: 0
  • brightness: 0
  • Color: 15
  • Tint: 0
  • Color Space: Standard
  • Color Temp: Custom 1 ->
  • gain red = -8
  • gain green = 0
  • gain blue = -26
  • offset red = -1
  • offset green = 0
  • offset blue = 2
  • correction value = 6500k
  • lens aperture = -10
  • lamp power = normal
  • sharpness = 4
  • detail enhance = 7
  • noise reduction = 3
  • custom gamma: 2.3

RON JONES' CALIBRATION SETTINGS at 10 hours:

Click Here For More Details on RonJones' Calibration Post (Great Info)

- Screen Size: 120" (1.78:1 , aka 16:9)
- Screen Gain: 1.4
- Fabric Type: Matte White, maintaining little but of polarizaton.
- Screen Manufacturer: Focupix
- Throw Distance: 13.5 ft.
  • HDMI input = "Enhanced" mode (Click on link above to find out why)
  • Contrast = 0
  • Brightness = -5
  • Color = 0
  • Tint = 0
  • Red Gain = -1
  • Green Gain = 0
  • Blue Gain = -3
  • Offset Red = -1
  • Offset Green = 1
  • Offseet Blue = 5

Kris Deering's Calibration Settings:

Click Here For More Info on Kris Deering's Calibration Post

- Screen Size: 120" diagonal
- Screen Type: ST130 G3
- Screen Gain: 1.3
  • Picture mode User 1
  • HDMI Enhanced, color space in Auto
  • Contrast 13 (clipping at about 240)
  • Brightness -7
  • Color -5
  • Tint 0
  • Color temp custom 1:
  • 6500k correction value
  • R gain -13
  • G gain -13
  • B gain -6
  • R off -9
  • G off 3
  • B off 13
  • Gamma Custom 1 correction value 2.5 (minor bump down at bottom to white level)
  • Color Space: standard
  • Iris: -11
  • Lamp Mode: High

- The Iris and Lamp settings in Kris's calibration are dependent on room and personal taste in brightness.

THINGS TO NOTE WITH THE RS40:

Officially noted by JVC that the RS40 does not have a CMS, there is, however, a 5 color CMS small menu within the service menu which no one has reported to have used so far.

How to get to service menu:

Press up, down, right, left, enter (press these buttons in the sequence mentioned but do it very fast)
post #4 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

First firmware update for RS40/X3 released on 12/17/2010 (click here)

This firmware addresses the Gamma cycling via remote while in 3D mode. Prior to FW update, I reported that cycling from B(3D) to A (3D) using the remote made the projector shut off unexpectedly and started flashing the Warning and Lamp lights. The fix was to turn off the projector by unplugging the power and waiting 30 seconds before turning the projector back on. However the first firmware listed above addresses and resolved this issue. The first FW also addresses 3D blu-ray player compatibilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

HTPC 3D Compatability Issues and Solutions::
(CLICK HERE TO VISIT DEDICATED THREAD)

---------------------------------------------------------------------

DirecTV playback Issue w/ ESPN 3D 720P programming:
This issue has been reported and pertains to 720P 3D compatability issues between JVC RS40/50/60 and DirecTV/Comcast's rejection of the RS40 playback of ESPN's 720P 3D content.

UPDATE: Turns out ESPN is also broadcasting their 3D events in the FCC approved 3D 720P and 1080i formats in addition to the optional 720P SBS format. However, it's DIRECTV who is refusing to use the FCC Approved 3D formats. So call DirecTV and make your voices heard.

WORK-AROUNDS TO GET "ESPN3D" content (720P 3D SBS) to work on RS40 (NOT GUARANTEED):

- DARINP2's ORIGINAL WORK AROUND (By Switching HDMI Cables, works w/ Single HMDI OUT AVRs)
- COOL PLAZMA'S WORK AROUND (No Cable Switching, Needs AVR w/ Dual HDMI Monitor Outs)
- MR IAN B'S FOLLOW UP WORKAROUND

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Reported Issues:

- Project Not Using User Applied Settings Upon Initial Startup: : Click Here to read Kris Deering's report of this issue which was also confirmed by others. (This bug, however, should be addressed and resolved via firmware updates)

- DIGITAL NOISE: CLICK HERE to read the feedback of several RS40/50 owners regarding this matter(Thanks Geof!). This issue is quickly becoming a Non-Issue as more hours are put on the projector (most over 100 hours are no longer noticing the digital noise). This issue was originally reported on a couple of pre-production demo units in Oct/Nov/2010, and then reported by several early owners but to different extents where the digital noise is slightly visible to some from seating position (10 -12 ft away) while others who had reported it can only see it when standing inches away.This only seems to be visible or noticeable against the AVS 709 disc when using gray ramp screen patterns according to some. But we're still unsure how much of that digital noise can actually be seen during Film or TV viewing. Bottom line, this is quickly becoming a Non-Issue (See Link).

- GAMMA CRASHING IN 3D: ISSUE RESOLVED WITH FIRST FW (CLICK HERE). Originally with first batch of early pre-order RS40 units, the Cycling Gamma modes from B(3D) back to A(3D) using the remote Gamma button while in 3D mode, caused the unit to temporarily malfunction and flash all the warning/lamp/power lights rapidly. This issue was resolved in the first firmware update released in Decemember 2010 (scroll to the FW post on this page for more info on the FW updates(s)). If you do not wish to update your FW just yet, you can still successfully change the Gamma in 3D from B (3D) back to A (3D) by going to the actual Menu and changing it there. Pleas note that all new RS40's shipped starting in Jan 2011 have the latest FW.

- UNEXPECTED MALFUNCTION DURING OPERATION: A few members reported that their RS40 suddenly stopped projecting for no reason, and the light through the lens appear to be very tiny as if the "Hide" button has been pushed. In some cases, it is the Hide button that was pushed by mistake. But in some cases, when changing inputs, the iris closes down to a very small opening with the lamp on, so there will be no picture or light projected and the user can't turn the projector on or off. In addition, unlike the Gamma cycling issue in 3D, there are NO FLASHING LIGHTS. This is definitely a bug which I believe was reported to JVC. The quick solution is to simply unplug the power cable for a few minutes then plug back in. That should restore it to normal operation.
post #5 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

GHOSTING: Appears to be very minimal on the RS40 in comparison to the existing 3D flat panels. User must run the RS40 for a warm up period no less than 15-20 minutes prior to playing a 3D movie to avoid ghosting. Ghosting is more apparent with OTA 3D content such as DirecTV 3D programming. But nothing that would be considered a show stopper. But everyone is in agreement that the frame packed 1080p/24 bluray 3D is far more superior is sharpness and resolution than the DirecTV programming, not to mention blurays show significantly less ghosting than 3D programming on Tv or cable.

FLICKER: is almost nonexistent, there may have been one person who had reported seeing very minor flicker, but the majority of people who have had the RS40 for days or weeks have reported virtually no flicker.

3D GLASSES: If you know that your screen fabric ratins a noticeable amount of polarization, then go for the JVC 3D glasses (without a doubt!). Otherwise, the Xpand x103 glasses seem to be the best choice for the more common non-polarizing and lower gain screens, and offer more bang for the money as they are 30% cheaper than the JVCs plus they are universal so they can be used with other 3D TVs in the house if you own more than one 3D TV. Both appear to look identical and the 3D image behind the glasses is equally impressive, although the JVC seemed to have a slightly brighter tint, but it is negligible at best. The verdict is that the Xpands x103 are the most logical choice due to price and universal appeal. But the JVCs have this auto synch feature where you don't have to fuss with any buttons. In brief, you turn on your RS40 and as soon as it starts 3D playback the JVC glasses will automatically turn on and synch with emitter. Versus the Xpand glasses where you have to press the small button to turn them on. Also a couple of people reported that the Xpand glasses lost synch with emitter while using one of the device remotes, but mot people have been happy with the Xpands so far.

DirectV 3D playback issues: so far all ESPN 3D broadcasts via DirecTV are not playable and the error message on DirecTV says something about the display (RS40/X3) is not compatible with 720p/3D programming. Chris (CDEUTSCH) from JVC was over my house the other night and he took a screenshot of the error and will report it to Japan, so hopefully JVC and DirecTV can hash this out and get it resolved.

HTPC 3D playback issue: this has been discussed in details between pages 50 and 62 so far by Zombie10k and others primarily or exclusively using their HTPC for 3D playback using nVidia graphics cards. (CLICK HERE TO VISIT DEDICATED THREAD)

3D Gaming on Xbox360 and Black Ops (click here for my impressions)

3D Gaming via PS3: some reported noticeable ghosting in Motorstorm Pacific Rift 3D and possibly Stardust 3D, but Gran Turismo 3D seems to exhibit the least amount of ghosting due to the extensive 3D display configuration within the actual game allowing for maximum 3D depth with less ghosting.
post #6 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well UPS tracking shows mine in Mesquite TX with a scheduled delivery of tomorrow (12/8/2010) so I feel like an owner already! I will do my best to give the "guy next door's" impression because I always intended, and still intend to appreciate that box "as is" with very little fiddling...

GO HABS GO!
post #7 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Subscribed!! Let all the gory photo's begin !! Hope I get mine before the new year =(

Loganed on 4/8/2008

List to be completed
Install blinds - DONE
Finish plumbing my bathroom - WIP
Build EQ Shelves - WIP
Program insteon - DONE
My Build Thread
post #8 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbroke View Post

Well UPS tracking shows mine in Mesquite TX with a scheduled delivery of tomorrow (12/8/2010) so I feel like an owner already! I will do my best to give the "guy next door's" impression because I always intended, and still intend to appreciate that box "as is" with very little fiddling...

That is a big relief, I feel much better knowing there will be others participating in the early testing too Please don't leave me hanging brotha! That goes for TOE too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastiff34 View Post

Subscribed!! Let all the gory photo's begin !! Hope I get mine before the new year =(

I will post some unboxing photos tonight and some screenshots with my point and shoot Canon, sorry no DSLR here.
post #9 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 414
Looking forward to your report Sam and very curious how you feel the 40 compares to your RS20 (I know you will be going off of memory for the 20, but am still curious to hear your thoughts between the 2).............might be a few days before I have time to mess with my 40 unfortunately I will surely report back when I am able to get to it though

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #10 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 05:43 PM

Mine is currently on a FEDEX truck scheduled for delivery on Thursday. I also didn't get lucky enough to score an emitter but the dealer tells me they should be in this Friday. I have a ColorMunki, SpectraCal DPG-1000 and Calman software so I'm going to try and take some 2d readings and get them posted. I'm also just a hobbiest so help will be appreciated.

I'm currently running a FPJ1 (RS2) so I won't be able to do comparisons from last years models.
post #11 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Congrats! And you may even be the one who has most anticipated this new projector the most as well.
post #12 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Let's start eith the good news! The RS40 looks absolutely gorgeous, and i haven't even fired it up yet. And here is the reason why, which is the bad news, the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch. So I left a message with my dealer hoping he will call me back tonight with a solution.

For now, and for the sake of keeping the excitement going, I will set the projector up on a table with the Oppo 93 connected to it directly. What sucks for me is that it will not go through the receiver for audio from the Oppo. I might as well watch some old Chaplin movies.

I took a few glamour unboxing photos and will post those tonight along with screenshots at a very short throw distance, for now.

EDIT: I found a long ass HDMI cable which is more likely not high speed, and probably is only 1.1, but it doesn't matter since I don't have the 3D emitter. But I will at least be able to watch and hear some movies tonight. I got the projector sitting on a coffee table 3-4 feet lower than the normal ceiling mount and about 3-4 feet closer to the screen at about 13 ft throw distance.

More to follow...

More soon
post #13 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

For now, and for the sake of keeping the excitement going, I will set the projector up on a table with the Oppo 93 connected to it directly. What sucks for me is that it will not go through the receiver for audio from the Oppo. I might as well watch some old Chaplin movies.

Can't you just connect the receiver to the Oppo's HDMI2? Or do you not have a cable for that?

Edit: Oops. I didn't see your last sentence.
post #14 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

THE OFFICIAL JVC RS40 & X3 OWNER'S THREAD:

I should mention that I did not receive the 3D emitter with the projector today, but I do have the Xpand X103 universal glasses and I intend to test them against the JVC OEM glasses as soon as the emitter arrives.

-Sam

Sam it's ok, put the glasses on and watch any 3-D movie of your choice and report back with your findings, we just want to know details on what the picture looks like without the emitter.

Cheers
Chris

Sony VPL-VW500ES, 150" width 2.35:1 screen, Proud owner of 1 of 399 Enzo Ferrari's in the world, a gorgeous yellow Ferrari 599GTB, + a 1970 Road Runner see it here

post #15 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:

... And here is the reason why, which is the bad news, the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch. So I left a message with my dealer hoping he will call me back tonight with a solution.

I take it you have the SLBU universal adapter that goes with the RPA base. I was worried the arms would not be long enough!
post #16 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 PM

“the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch”.

Is your Chief mount the universal model or a custom size? Chief’s website claims the universal model is supported.

(Didn't see your post Steve)

Thanks.

Quote:

Let's start eith the good news! The RS40 looks absolutely gorgeous, and i haven't even fired it up yet. And here is the reason why, which is the bad news, the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch. So I left a message with my dealer hoping he will call me back tonight with a solution.

I took a few glamour unboxing photos and will post those tonight along with screenshots at a very short throw distance, for now.

EDIT: I found a long ass HDMI cable which is more likely not high speed, and probably is only 1.1, but it doesn't matter since I don't have the 3D emitter. But I will at least be able to watch and hear some movies tonight. I got the projector sitting on a coffee table 3-4 feet lower than the normal ceiling mount and about 3-4 feet closer to the screen at about 13 ft throw distance.

More to follow...

More soon

post #17 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are all observations from a previous RS20 owner, so some of the features could have already been implemented in the RS35/25/15 for all i know.

1- The motorized lens is only loud when powering on the PJ, but it's audibly loud, almost sounded like a pencil sharpener that it startled me when I had my back to the PJ getting ready to load a movie.

2- As far as noise, at standard lamp mode, the PJ is virtually inaudible. It's better than whisper quiet. And again the motorized is only loud when initially turning on. But then I turned on High Altitude mode since i am Mile High, and it became very loud. So I don't know if I MUST turn HA mode on at 5300ft above sea level (please advise anyone?)

3- The projector powered up in under 20 seconds, I turned around and bam it was on.

4- Initial aperture is set to 0, so I took it down to -5. Let me know if I shod bring it down further.

5- The remote is AWESOME! It feels like a piece of felt or fabric, looks very classy and to the point. It even has a permanently lit "light" button (possibly a glow in dark phosphorous material) so you could easily find it no matter how dark the room is, press and all the buttons are now back lit.

6- Notable buttons on remote:

7- Picture modes: film, cinema, anima, natural, stage, 3D, and user 1/2/3.

8- Gamma modes: Normal, A,B,C, Custom 1, and A 3D, B 3D.

9- Color Temp: 6500K default, 7000, 7500, 8000, 8500, 9000, 9500, High Bright, custom 1/2/3, 5500, and 6000K.

10- Color Space: standard, wide 1, wide 2

11- Picture Adjustments: every set to Zero by default, except Sharpness which is set to 30, Detail Enhance which is set to 10.

12- Lamp Power can be found under the Advanced sub menu, not under the Function menu as on the RS20. Lamp set to normal by default.

13- Lens control button can also be found on the remote, as expected, to adjust focus, shifting and zooming.

14- Aspect Ratio buttons can be found on remote as well. The aspect button simply switches between 16:9 and 4:3, and there is a 3rd option (Zoom) but it's grayed out on the menu.

15- Anamorphic button can also be found on the remote, and it switches between OFF, A, and B.

16- C.M.D button controls the motion drive and it switches between OFF, mode 1, mode 2, mode 3, and mode 4, and inverse telecline. With mode 1 and 2 being the worst just by the white Oppo logo moving in a "screen saver" motion fashion, you can see flashing of red/green around the logo (pretty ugly) so not sure how that mode will fair with film or just about anything if it cannot handle a moving logo. The other 3 modes still show the same color flashing upon logo movement but not as bad as 2, or 1 (which is the worst). Not sure if watching a white logo move and pop around the screen, but this was just a quick observation. When watching Dark Knight, mode 1 still showed the color flashing with motion or moving objects, mode 2 showed it a lot less (and looks best to me), mode 3 and 4 do not show this flashing but for me it looks waxy (too real for me to enjoy a film), and finally this inverse telecline mode just looks odd to me (I cannot explain it yet). I think all modes definitely will appeal to different viewers and the more I watch mode 1 and 2, the more I like them on film, the color flashing is definitely not as bad as it would be on a movie logo such as Oppo's screensaver. (more about CMD soon)

17- Digital Noise: unless i am blind, I cannot see it on the black/green Lens patterns when zooming or focusing or shift. Please let me know if should look elsewhere to detect digital noise. I was as close as an inch away from my screen and cannot detect it on black background screens.

18- Black levels and contrast: I think this projector easily blows away the blacks and sheer contrast of my RS20. The arial night downtown scene from the Dark Knight looks breathtaking! So black and yet the city lights look like they are extremely bright almost about to pop out of the screen. It is almost hard to tell where the blacks are on black or dark scenes at 16:9 and where the extra black space is on the rest of my scope screen, the blacks are just very very black for sure. I could always tell with the RS20 where the 16:9 image lies on my 2.37:1 screebn by viewing from the first row, but if I were to view a dark or black image or frame of film with lots of blacks on the sides with theRS40, I almost have to walk up to about a foot away from the screen to see or detect the sides or borders of the 16:9 image over the wider scope screen.

19- Sharpness on the RS40 is noticeably better than my RS20, but it's not a mind blowing difference, but it is definitely visible by just playing with the focus screen. (EDIT: this projector is noticeably sharper than my old RS20, this becomes very obvious when viewing HD TV from DirecTV, still trying to compare Bluray sharpness on the RS40 improvement from the Old RS20 from pure memory )

20- Brightness: projector is much brigthter in 2D compared To my RS20 which had more than 1300 hours. But i suspect others with higher gain screens are getting a much brighter image, mine is bright against a 1.1 gain screen but not blinding, I still have the lamp at normal mode and lowered the aperture to -5.

21- Looks and design: the RS40 looks absolutely gorgeous, like a million bucks! But it is going to be too big and wide for many existing mounts, so I highly suggest you confirm that your mount's 4 legs would be long enough to reach all 4 corners on the RS40. (unboxing pictures to be posted soon)

More to come, but this is the initial report..
post #18 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Siener View Post

I take it you have the SLBU universal adapter that goes with the RPA base. I was worried the arms would not be long enough!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeHolland View Post

the 4 arms on my Chief RPA mount are too short, by almost about an inch.

Is your Chief mount the universal model or a custom size? Chief's website claims the universal model is supported.

(Didn't see your post Steve)

Thanks.

I honestly don't know anymore if my mount is universal as i originally had thought, but I can tell that all 4 arms can be loosened and removed/replaced by longer ones so hopefully I can simply replace the arms rather than buy a whole new mount. Also it looks like I will need deeper screws to attach the 4 arms to the 4 corners. Hopefully i will hear back from my dealer by tomorrow to assess the situation.
post #19 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Congrats Sam! A few requests and questions please:

1) How is the sharpness of your RS40 compared to your RS20? I assume its sharper, but are we talking significantly sharper?

2) Put up a 0% full field (full black). Any hint of bright corners? This was mostly solved with the prior generation but it doesn't hurt to double check.

3) Put up a 100% full field (full white). How does the uniformity look? Any banding or color tint? Please take a photo of this and post it.

4) Put up a single pixel grid pattern (found under Misc. Patterns on AVS HD 709 disc). What does the convergence look like? If there is any misconvergence, to what extent and how even/uneven is it? Do the single pixels found in each grid box look like a single white pixel, or a small grouping of red/green/blue pixels? Please take a few pictures of this convergence from about 1.5 feet from the screen and post.

5) Put up a HD channel with a ticker like CNNHD. Does the ticker look perfectly white as it scrolls? Or do you see some fringing. If you hit Pause on your DVR the color of the white in the ticker should not appear any different or any sharper than when it is scrolling.

6) There is a wedge resolution pattern on the AVS HD 709 disc. Please put it up and post a photo of it. How far into the circle can you see clearly before it blurs? Is there any red or green tinge / tones displayed in the circle. This pattern should appear as gray only.

7) Do you have a light meter? If so it would be great to determine your lumens.

Thanks.
post #20 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

EDIT: PLEASE DISREGARD COMMENTS BELOW ABOUT "BLUE RAINDROP LIKE NOISE" IN DARK KNIGHT. I REPLACED HDMI CABLE AND THIS NOISE IS ABSOLUTELY GONE, SO IT WAS JUST A BAD HDMI CABLE. SO BREATH EASY

Can someone fire up their RS20/25/35 and tell me if they see "rain drop" like blue noise at exactly 00:56:32 in the Dark Knight? Is this from the film itself because I don't see it in every dark scene, like the night arial downtown scene.

Also CMD's mode 1 still shows this weird color flashing with fast movement scenes and almost feel jittery when someone is walking slowly like when Morgan Freeman was walking slowly towards Christian Bale in his conf room. I am still playing around with the motion and as i said they all 5 modes present good value but each with their own problems too.

I am just concerned about this blue-ish rain drop like noise, hopefully its just the source material. If anyone knows of good scenes from this or other movies to check for digital noise, as long as you know the blacks or dark scenes should be crisp please suggest the movie and scenes, I have hundreds of bluray movies so more than likely i will have the movie you want me to test with.

Also please let me know how to test for convergence and uniformity as well as any pattern screens to test for possible digital noise.
post #21 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:

...Also please let me know how to test for convergence and uniformity as well as any pattern screens to test for possible digital noise.

Ha - I read your mind. See my post, just prior to yours.

Regarding CMD, I think cine4home said he recommended mode 3. Unless that was some other processing setting. See his recent preview 2 for his comments about this.

Let us know what you find with the blu rain.
post #22 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Congrats Sam! A few requests and questions please:

1) How is the sharpness of your RS40 compared to your RS20? I assume its sharper, but are we talking significantly sharper?

2) Put up a 0% full field (full black). Any hint of bright corners? This was mostly solved with the prior generation but it doesn't hurt to double check.

3) Put up a 100% full field (full white). How does the uniformity look? Any banding or color tint? Please take a photo of this and post it.

4) Put up a single pixel grid pattern (found under Misc. Patterns on AVS HD 709 disc). What does the convergence look like? If there is any misconvergence, to what extent and how even/uneven is it? Do the single pixels found in each grid box look like a single white pixel, or a small grouping of red/green/blue pixels? Please take a few pictures of this convergence from about 1.5 feet from the screen and post.

5) Put up a HD channel with a ticker like CNNHD. Does the ticker look perfectly white as it scrolls? Or do you see some fringing. If you hit Pause on your DVR the color of the white in the ticker should not appear any different or any sharper than when it is scrolling.

6) There is a wedge resolution pattern on the AVS HD 709 disc. Please put it up and post a photo of it. How far into the circle can you see clearly before it blurs? Is there any red or green tinge / tones displayed in the circle. This pattern should appear as gray only.

Thanks.

all great suggestions.. especially the bright corners, convergence & color uniformity.

time to burn the AVS HD 709 disk!!
post #23 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

More to follow...

More soon

WHAT??!!!! (TF!) How is that possible Sam!? Look on the "old thread" and you'll see I just posted I recv'd my RPMAU tonight (w/ pic) and if you go on Chiefs site and go into the PJ finder they do have the new JVC's, and show the RPAU mounts as the one's to choose!

Are you going to call Chief??!

Kevin

(miss you guys already! )

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #24 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

These are all observations from a previous RS20 owner, so some of the features could have already been implemented in the RS35/25/15 for all i know.

18- Black levels and contrast: I think this projector easily blows away the blacks and sheer contrast of my RS20. The arial night downtown scene from the Dark Knight looks breathtaking! So black and yet the city lights look like they are extremely bright almost about to pop out of the screen. It is almost hard to tell where the blacks are on black or dark scenes at 16:9 and where the extra black space is on the rest of my scope screen, the blacks are just very very black for sure. I could always tell with the RS20 where the 16:9 image lies on my 2.37:1 screebn by viewing from the first row, but if I were to dilly a dark or black image or frame of film with lots of blacks on the sides, I almost have to walk up to about a foot away from the screen to see the sides of the 16:9 image.

19- Sharpness is noticeably better than my TS40, but it's not a mind blowing difference, but it is definitely visible by just playing with the focus screen.

20- Brightness: projector is much brigthter in 2D compared To my RS20 which had more than 1300 hours. But i suspect others with higher gain screens are getting a much brighter image, mine is bright against a 1.1 gain screen but not blinding, I still have the lamp at normal mode and lowered the aperture to -5.

21- Looks and design: the RS40 looks absolutely gorgeous, like a million bucks! But it is going to be too big and wide for many existing mounts, so I highly suggest you confirm that your mount's 4 legs would be long enough to reach all 4 corners on the RS40. (unboxing pictures to be posted soon)

More to come, but this is the initial report..

Oh man... Now you've done it Sam!!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #25 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 342
They don`t have the projectors. That`s why they are listing a variety of their universal mounts.I prefer the RPM not the RPA but both should work according to their mount finder. It is always possible it won`t work but I have never had a projector where it wouldn`t. Remember we haven`t had the JVC model either to try it with the Chief universals, Will check with Chief tomorrow.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #26 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

1) sharpness is noticeably better but not mind blowing-ly better than my RS20. To me the sharpness improvement is more obvious on the focus pattern screen versus a motion picture where the sharpness is definitely noticeable but like i said not mind blowing crispness.

2) and 3) please tell me how to go full black and full white, is it by playing with contrast and brightness?

4) and 6) I do not have the AVS disc. Is this the only way to test for pixel adjustment and convergence?

5) I switched to ESPN soortscenter HD for the scrolling text, I could not see a different in quality of scrolling font whether scrolling or paused so i guess that is a good thing

6) no light meter, sorry.

Quote:

Congrats Sam! A few requests and questions

Thanks.

post #27 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha - I read your mind. See my post, just prior to yours.

Regarding CMD, I think cine4home said he recommended mode 3. Unless that was some other processing setting. See his recent preview 2 for his comments about this.

Let us know what you find with the blu rain.

I honestly am very happy with CMD totally turned off, some people think 3D is a throw in, for me this while motion drive is a throw in unless its executed perfectly. I think the Sony hX800 LED TV's 240/120 motions will hand over fist own Most projectors when it comes to quality, with the Panny projectors apparently being pretty good from what i hear. The JVC motion modes are decent but they are not perfect, there is some noticeable color flashing on fast moving or sudden movement scenes, more noticeable on mode 1 than 2, but mode 2 looks a bit darker. Mode 3 and 4 produce Much better results if you love the waxy soap opera-ish picture (i just puked in my mouth), sorry i am not a big fan of that, even with Sony's perfect motion drive with my HX800 so i will tell you that modes 3 and 4 are good for those who like to watching films as if they are sitting with the actors in the same room, for me i will gladly choose to turn the while mess off.

As far as the blue rain, i really need others to confirm what i am seeing (look at the time stamp i posted above) and let me know if you are seeing the same thing.
post #28 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

WHAT??!!!! (TF!) How is that possible Sam!? Look on the "old thread" and you'll see I just posted I recv'd my RPMAU tonight (w/ pic) and if you go on Chiefs site and go into the PJ finder they do have the new JVC's, and show the RPAU mounts as the one's to choose!

Are you going to call Chief??!

Kevin

(miss you guys already! )

I will call them or my dealer Michael tomorrow, i remember buying a universal RMA chief mount with a Peerless ceiling plate. No biggies, it's comfortably sitting on a nice and wide coffee table, this baby has some serious junk in the trunk and it is a thing of beauty i seriously felt like a million bucks when I unbowed it. It just looks great!
post #29 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

all great suggestions.. especially the bright corners, convergence & color uniformity.

time to burn the AVS HD 709 disk!!

Please advise on how to proceed as i do not have the ISO to burn, what i am assuming would fit on a DVD? Just need the DL info and I can test for convergence and uniformity.
post #30 of 10005 Old 12-07-2010, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dallas View Post

Sam it's ok, put the glasses on and watch any 3-D movie of your choice and report back with your findings, we just want to know details on what the picture looks like without the emitter.

I guess i was wrong, i can switch to a 3D channel on my DirecTV receiver and view the doubled stereoscopic image without the emitter connected.

So I switched to channel 103 (n3d) and at first it didn't look too bright. Then I realized that I have to press the 3D picture mode. Low and behold the brightness shot up to what I would consider TOO BRIGHT!!! But obviously i did not have the glasses on, so i did put them on and tried to switch to the Cpand Cinema Mode which is supposed the one to work with JVC, so i kept pressing the button on the glasses until the LED and shutter glasses flashed 6 times but the glasses could not go into active mode since i do not have an emitter connected (since i don't have one). But from what i can see, the JVC RS40 is much brighter (without glasses) in 3D mode across a 110" low 1.1 gain screen (14 ft away) than my Sony HX800 (again without glasses on). When I place the glasses on the 3D image appears slightly dimmer but again it is NOT engaging in active mode since there is no emitters

Overall, I think as others reported the 3D image from what i can tell, by my inconclusive non-emitter tests, is going to be very bright even on a lower gain perf screen such as mine. I can totally expect this level of brightness to carry to 500 hours or even 1000 (where it will still be acceptable in 3D). It is just too bright in 3D without glasses on.

WARNING: DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT try to switch Gamma mode from the default B(3D) once in 3D mode. It caused my projector to start flashing the lamp/waring lights, i had to unplug the power and wait for almost 30 secs before the flashing warning lights went away after unplugging the power cable. Then I turned it back and to my surprise it eventually cycled into A(3D) mode which looked slightly dimmer, but very slightly. But then i pushed the gamma again to go to B(3D) and the image became brighter again. I didn't want to mess with gamma any further in 3D, but if you have the balls, switch it to cinema or film mode before cycling through gamma settings, i assume that one could go through the Menu to switch to modes A/B (3D) without having to cycle through the non-3D A/B/C/D/Custom gamma modes.

Also, we all knew this, but 3D picture mode automatically switches to 8500k and High Lamp mode which is audible but is not annoyingly loud, not if it's mounted 7 ft up and behind the viewer, surely it can be heard in silent or quiet scenes but my xbox or HTPC can easily out-noise it any day
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page