post #91 of 559 Old 12-24-2010, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

Talking of glasses, how do you clean them?

They are made of very soft plastic. The more you wipe them with a cloth , even a super fine microfibre one, the chances are you drag a spec of dust with it and scratch them.....

I'm using this product right now to clean the front right side of some expensive plastic RX varidepth eyeglass lenses that unfortunately last night wound up on a hardwood floor beside my bed while baby / house sitting a couple of dogs....and one of them rubbed them around a little. All but the deeper scratches taken out no problem. Don't know about this if colored tints are involved as it sounds like for some brands of 3D glasses. How are the tints put there in the mfg. process? Surface tint or complete-in-the-plastic formula?

But the micro scratches can be taken out, with gentle finger buffing with a soft cloth. Many other brands available besides Mothers.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06208.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 559 Old 12-24-2010, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicronian View Post

Conan... please don't paraphrase both thrang and petri in the same sentence.

Why? Can't petri agree with me?

Merry christmas all!
post #93 of 559 Old 12-24-2010, 10:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 150
There are only a few members who have experience with both the the new JVC series and the vw90. Even though Thrang had some issues with his convergence, I don't think that would effect his 3D experience at all. Also, as far as I know Petri had a vw90 that had no issues. I also had no issues with the vw90 that would cause it to be considered defective. Yet mine, Thrang, and Petri experience with the vw90s 3D was unsatisfactory. I should have my RS50 soon, and will be in the club that has seen or owned both the VW90 and new JVC RS series.

I know one thing for sure. I will never, ever buy something until it's been out for at least a few months and has a few reviews for comparisons sake. It really suck being the first to own anything so expensive and realizing that it's not up to snuff. Next year Im not gonna be the tester. I'm gonna wait it out, and hopefully someone else has to go through the hassle of buying and reviewing products for the sake of other people.
post #94 of 559 Old 12-25-2010, 12:45 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I know one thing for sure. I will never, ever buy something until it's been out for at least a few months and has a few reviews for comparisons sake. It really suck being the first to own anything so expensive and realizing that it's not up to snuff. Next year Im not gonna be the tester. I'm gonna wait it out, and hopefully someone else has to go through the hassle of buying and reviewing products for the sake of other people.[/quote]

Welcome to my life.

In all fairness though didn't you say yours had ghosting constantly on either 1/3 top or bottom of the screen? That sounds defective. Seriously.
No worries. Hopefully you enjoy the RS50.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #95 of 559 Old 12-25-2010, 12:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

And Merry Christmas all!!!
LL

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #96 of 559 Old 12-25-2010, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

There are only a few members who have experience with both the the new JVC series and the vw90. Even though Thrang had some issues with his convergence, I don't think that would effect his 3D experience at all. Also, as far as I know Petri had a vw90 that had no issues. I also had no issues with the vw90 that would cause it to be considered defective. Yet mine, Thrang, and Petri experience with the vw90s 3D was unsatisfactory. I should have my RS50 soon, and will be in the club that has seen or owned both the VW90 and new JVC RS series.

I know one thing for sure. I will never, ever buy something until it's been out for at least a few months and has a few reviews for comparisons sake. It really suck being the first to own anything so expensive and realizing that it's not up to snuff. Next year Im not gonna be the tester. I'm gonna wait it out, and hopefully someone else has to go through the hassle of buying and reviewing products for the sake of other people.

Welcome to the "wait and see club". I decided that this year, not next year, I would step back and watch things unfold for a change.

You seem to be intimating that you're going to be in the market again next year, but will take your time before making a decision. What are you really saying? It seems that you don't feel that either of these new 3D projectors will keep you satisfied for more than a year. Don't worry you're not alone. Often the new owners who rave the most about their new purchase are the first in line to address their "need a new toy addiction" 12 months later. It's just the way things are around here and I've been around here about 11 years (under various names), so I've pretty much seen it all. I'll probably be desperate to feed my addiction by this time next year, although for now I'm pretty happy with what I've got - who'd believe it!
post #97 of 559 Old 12-25-2010, 01:27 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Got my Oppo 93 hooked up yesteday, with the audioquest pearl 12M hdmi cable, and WOW!!! The ghosts are GONE!!! All I did was plug it in, and I had the same adjustments on the projector as I did with the Sony 570 player, but the picture looks alot better! This proves that not only the display plays a factor on the 3D, but also the source. Will pick up a couple of X103s to see if this improves it even further. But I am now HAPPY!!! The only thing that bugs me is that when I am in 3D mode, I sometimes see these very light pink bands going straight up and down, there are about 20 of these going across the screen. Only with the glasses on, when I lift my glasses, nothing is wrong with the picture??!!
post #98 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

I am still comparing these two projectors, and will post more of my thoughts when the holiday is over and I have a bit more time. I noticed that the JVC has more HDMI sync issues than the Sony. For example, I am using the same cables for both projectors, and yet the JVC does not play 3D from HDMI 1 output on the Oppo...I have to use HDMI 2 output for some reason, and yet the Sony "will" play 3D from the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo. (very strange)....(The JVC "will" play 2D from HDMI 1 output)... Also it seems to take longer for the JVC to sync up with "any" blu-ray player.
post #99 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post
I am still comparing these two projectors, and will post more of my thoughts when the holiday is over and I have a bit more time. I noticed that the JVC has more HDMI sync issues than the Sony. For example, I am using the same cables for both projectors, and yet the JVC does not play 3D from HDMI 1 output on the Oppo...I have to use HDMI 2 output for some reason, and yet the Sony "will" play 3D from the HDMI 1 output on the Oppo. (very strange)....(The JVC "will" play 2D from HDMI 1 output)... Also it seems to take longer for the JVC to sync up with "any" blu-ray player.
I have the oppo 93. I have hdmi 1 going straight to the pj. Ive played 3D so you may have another issue going on.
post #100 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post
I have the oppo 93. I have hdmi 1 going straight to the pj. Ive played 3D so you may have another issue going on.
Yes...I should have mentioned that it will work if I just play video only. (going to projector) and HDMI 2 to AVR...However, if I run HDMI 1 out (3D) to the AVR (both video and audio) then it will not sync, but the Sony does.
post #101 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
I do have some sync issues, but I have been using HDMI 1 on the Oppo for 3d. So, it does work, but there are some sync issues at times.

Quote:
Yes...I should have mentioned that it will work if I just play video only. (going to projector) and HDMI 2 to AVR...However, if I run HDMI 1 out (3D) to the AVR (both video and audio) then it will not sync, but the Sony does.
Ahhh, gotcha.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #102 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I do have some sync issues, but I have been using HDMI 1 on the Oppo for 3d. So, it does work, but there are some sync issues at times.

Ahhh, gotcha.

Yeah, Todd...If you're running both audio and video both, then use HDMI 2 on the Oppo...
post #103 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 10:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Not sure why JVC is having HDMI EDID sync issues with their new pjs. Are we 2007?

post #104 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Well guys, I was going to have a more detailed and lengthy review, but being an average Joe, I really don't think that it would be fair to the "experts" around here, so I will just type this out as I feel it and see it...I have decided to Keep the Sony VW90ES and sell the JVC RS-40. The main reason is the 2D image. The 2D image on the Sony is nothing short of "spectacular" It looks like a giant plasma on my screen...(I cannot duplicate the same quality on the JVC). I have spent enough time with both and I know that I would miss the image of the Sony if I sold it. I cannot afford to keep both...(I really wish I could). In 3D they are both relatively comparable...The JVC is brighter, but not by much after using omicronian's tweeked Sony settings. The Sony has slightly better overall image quality in 3D. The ghosting is about the same on both... It was a pleasure to have the JVC and had I not been able to A/B test it against the Sony, I would have been very happy to own it. So, the extra dollars "do" give you better quality (and it should).... Now,....Is it worth the extra $$$ difference?...Well, that depends on how picky you are, and how much $$$ you have to throw away. I will be offering my JVC RS-40 for sale in the classifieds with 2 pair of JVC glasses, and the emitter included. I will miss it and really wish I could have afforded to keep it and use it in my greatroom upstairs.

Remote control.................... Personal preference, but I like the sony better

Lens door.............................Sony quiet, JVC very, very, loud

Fan noise..............................Sony is a bit quieter in low and high settings

2D picture quality....................Sony wins this hands down

3D picture quality.....................JVC brighter, but not by much after setting tweeks to Sony. Sony has slightly better image quality and a tad sharper

Ghosting..................................Both have instances of ghosting here and there

Colors......................................Seem to be more vibrant and better looking on the Sony

Black levels are great on both these models and as a Joe average user I would be happy with either model

2D to 3D conversion.....................JVC N/A (none) Sony has this and I will use it for sports

I am an average Joe end user....but from what I have read, the Sony has better ansi contrast...Don't know what it exactly is, but the Sony just has more pop and a sharper image...I guess you could say it is DLP like. I am shooting my image from 19 ft away onto a 150" 1.1 screen, and the image is just incredible. So I guess it "is" true...Sony "is" no Baloney...
post #105 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Yeah, Todd...If you're running both audio and video both, then use HDMI 2 on the Oppo...

stay away from using hdmi 2 for video on the OPPO 93. You get to use the much better chip in hdmi 1. So take the video from hdmi 1 to the pj and hdmi 2 for audio to the AVR.
post #106 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 01:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

stay away from using hdmi 2 for video on the OPPO 93. You get to use the much better chip in hdmi 1. So take the video from hdmi 1 to the pj and hdmi 2 for audio to the AVR.

100% agree with that!

post #107 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, but then when you switch to directv on your receiver, the signal is still on the Oppo...you would have to use both inputs on the projector and have them switch for each component right?...that would be a PITA.
post #108 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

So why does the Oppo have difficulty playing both 3D audio and video out of output 1 and no trouble playing both out of output 2?
BTW, I asked this question in the Oppo 93 thread as well and it appears that there is a glitch of some kind with the HDMI 1 output of the Oppo player...
post #109 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

Well guys, I was going to have a more detailed and lenghty review, but being an average Joe, I really don't think that it would be fair to the "experts" around here, so I will just type this out as I feel it and see it...I have decided to Keep the Sony VW90ES and sell the JVC RS-40...

Okay fine! I just called the post office and told them to bring back your shipment of the unnamed movie!

Revoke his membership card Todd!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Richter Family 3D Theater  

post #110 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Does anyone know what the Sony native on/off contrast is? i.e. if you disabled the iris , what contrast would you be left with?
post #111 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 150
10 000:1 on/off for the Sony as per Petri's measurements, and around 22:000:1 for the RS40. IRIS fully open.

I can't wait to get my X7 and post a review. I'm not an average joe, but I'm not inexperienced either. I will give my above average joe opinion ASAP.
post #112 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 08:35 PM

The sony's contrast was measured by cine4home, in their preview, at 20,000:1 maximum, while it was 80,000:1 with the iris.
The iris is only 3:1, but since the contrast improves when it closes, you end up with 4:1 improvement, with only a 3:1 range or the iris.
post #113 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Guys...I may still wind up keeping both after all...I just spoke to my wife and she has left it up to me if I want to keep them both...So now, I need to decide which stays in the theater and which goes up to the great room....
Hell, I spent 4 times as much on a car, so why not burn some cash on home theater?...
post #114 of 559 Old 12-26-2010, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichter1 View Post

Okay fine! I just called the post office and told them to bring back your shipment of the unnamed movie!

Revoke his membership card Todd!

I may still keep them both...so does that keep me in the car?...
post #115 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 AM

Based on fact my needs were primarily 2D sports and gaming with the odd fun 3D movie from time to time. Thanks all for helping me chose ... ultimately seems like they are both great projectors with pro/cons. This my first projector so I am sure I will be happy. Sure I will be upgrading again next time... (but at least then I can wait longer).

Rey
post #116 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I am an average Joe end user....but from what I have read, the Sony has better ansi contrast...Don't know what it exactly is, but the Sony just has more pop and a sharper image...I guess you could say it is DLP like. I am shooting my image from 19 ft away onto a 150" 1.1 screen, and the image is just incredible. So I guess it "is" true...Sony "is" no Baloney...

Do you think the enhanced performance of the Sony is worth the additional cost over the JVC 40?
post #117 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 AM

isn't the sony over double the cost of JVC? why wouldn't you compare the RS60 to it?
post #118 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

Guys...I may still wind up keeping both after all...I just spoke to my wife and she has left it up to me if I want to keep them both...So now, I need to decide which stays in the theater and which goes up to the great room....
Hell, I spent 4 times as much on a car, so why not burn some cash on home theater?...

The problem will be simply this - how do you rationalize upgrading BOTH next year. It's tough enough rationalizing just one upgrade each year, but two!
post #119 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post

Do you think the enhanced performance of the Sony is worth the additional cost over the JVC 40?

If he didn't he would easily just keep the RS40.

post #120 of 559 Old 12-27-2010, 11:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztech View Post

isn't the sony over double the cost of JVC? why wouldn't you compare the RS60 to it?

That's what I may do.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw90es 3d 240hz Sxrd Projector
Gear in this thread - 240hz by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page