Average Joe Owner Sony VW90ES/JVC-40 Face Off - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=dogone;19734842]Kevin, I ordered the clamshell glasses cases on faith alone...(hell it was only 20 bucks for 7!)...I don't see why they wouldn't fit, but I'll let you guys know and post a pic with the glasses nestled in themQUOTE]

Chuck,
PLEASE PLEASE DO LET US Know! I also have the Xpands and I would not mind paying $20 to get them all protected in a nice clamshell case like the ones below

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 01:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogone View Post

I took a chance and ordered 7 boxes...so I'll let you know. I'll post a pic with the Xpands nestled inside...

After reading the Reviews I ordered 7 too! One person says they are 2/34" tall so they should be plenty large enough.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #183 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Yep. Here is a fun calculator for estimating intra-image CR with different ANSI CRs, on/off CRs, room gains, and gammas:

http://home.roadrunner.com/~res18h39/contrast.htm

--Darin

Wow Darin, this is really awesome thanks bud!!

Kevin

You only live once, but if you live it right, once is enough.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

==> The Richter Family 3D Theater  
post #184 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=damnsam77;19734876]
Quote:

Kevin, I ordered the clamshell glasses cases on faith alone...(hell it was only 20 bucks for 7!)...I don't see why they wouldn't fit, but I'll let you guys know and post a pic with the glasses nestled in themQUOTE]

Chuck,
PLEASE PLEASE DO LET US Know! I also have the Xpands and I would not mind paying $20 to get them all protected in a nice clamshell case like the ones below

There's "the stranger"!! We thought maybe someone found you dead in your theater with your glasses on and foaming at the mouth from 3D overload!

The reason I didn't order these is the "clamshell" design (kind of rounded) and the JVC/Xpands are square, needing a 7x3x2" rectangle. Keep your fingers crossed. Adidino posted a more square on from Amazon that might work but their 6.5" and so are the glasses (almost exact) and I didn't want them stuffed in there to where is could change the shape of the frames over time.

Happy New Year broheem!

Kevin

Kevin

post #185 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=damnsam77;19734876]
Quote:

Kevin, I ordered the clamshell glasses cases on faith alone...(hell it was only 20 bucks for 7!)...I don't see why they wouldn't fit, but I'll let you guys know and post a pic with the glasses nestled in themQUOTE]

Chuck,

Sam...you may want to pounce on these before they're gone...According to the reviews, they "will" fit...
post #186 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

So what are the real differences between these two?

1) Ghosting - about the same? does the Sony need a 20 to 30 minute warm up time before this diminishes?
2) Compatibility with other than a 3D BD player? the JVCs seem to have all kinds of problems with a PC as the source (Nvidia video card problems?) I use two HTPCs, both with Nvidia video cards - did I dodge a bullet by not purchasing a JVC?
3) Calibration in 3D mode. The JVC, at least the RS40, seems to have limited flexibility in 3D mode. What about the Sony?
4) The Sony has FI that works in 3D. Does the JVC? How useful is it and is it worth using?
5) The Sony has 2D to 3D conversion. How effective is it? Anyone using it?
6) Lens shift and ease of set up. Any appreciable differences here?
7) Lens quality - sharper image or better focus across the screen with one as opposed to the other?

Let's say you pay $7500 for the Sony and $3,500 for the JVC. Is the over two times the price for the Sony justified?

P.S. The JVC has a darker film look? To me that means dull with not much detail (black crush) and you have to strain to see what's going on.

One additional point for consideration, is compatibility with 3D SBS material. From what I have read the JVC series need several remote commands in order for the PJ to engage with SBS content, it is not automatic. This is particularly relevant when watching 3D TV content. I had a demo of an X7 and the guy finally gave up trying to get the X7 into SBS mode.

Since it have not been mentioned, I am assuming that the Sony will simply need to be switched to 3D mode.

I hasten to add that I do not own either of these projectors and cannot confirm this point.
post #187 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

For anyone interested in the Chief custom 281 plate I just posted pics in the mount thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post19735307

Kevin

post #188 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If you turn of off the DI, how dramatic is the change? I am using a Pioneer KRF-9000FD today (HD-100 clone) and I am afraid what would happen if I get the Sony and see the DI pumping.
post #189 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drem View Post

If you turn of off the DI, how dramatic is the change? I am using a Pioneer KRF-9000FD today (HD-100 clone) and I am afraid what would happen if I get the Sony and see the DI pumping.

Iris off is still very good (between 10k:1 and 20k:1). The visibility of the iris depends on a few things. On my old Sony Pearl I did notice the iris from time to time, but I don't see it on the VW90. It's only a 3:1 iris. It already has a great native contrast, so the iris only activates when the scene is VERY dark or during a fade-to-black. 90% of a film, the iris is wide open. It's very different from those LCD projectors which had a very aggressive iris because they didn't have a lot of contrast to begin with, making it very noticeable. Not to sound like a fanboy, but I think sony has the best iris implementation, and it keeps getting better with newer projectors. It's like they figured out what was noticeable and what wasn't, making all the good compromises in the iris movement.
post #190 of 559 Old 12-30-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=dogone;19735122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by damnsam77 View Post

Sam...you may want to pounce on these before they're gone...According to the reviews, they "will" fit...

How do you know they "will"? I don't see any dimensions on these or in the reviews??

Here's the one Adi posted the other day:

Case is 3 inches wide. Case is 6.5 inches tall. Case is 2 inches thick.

http://www.amazon.com/EXTRA-LARGE-BL...ref=pd_sbs_a_8

Kevin

post #191 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicronian View Post
Iris off is still very good (between 10k:1 and 20k:1). The visibility of the iris depends on a few things. On my old Sony Pearl I did notice the iris from time to time, but I don't see it on the VW90. It's only a 3:1 iris. It already has a great native contrast, so the iris only activates when the scene is VERY dark or during a fade-to-black. 90% of a film, the iris is wide open. It's very different from those LCD projectors which had a very aggressive iris because they didn't have a lot of contrast to begin with, making it very noticeable. Not to sound like a fanboy, but I think sony has the best iris implementation, and it keeps getting better with newer projectors. It's like they figured out what was noticeable and what wasn't, making all the good compromises in the iris movement.
Thanks for that information. I'm gonna go check it out next week, hopefully some really dark to bright scenes too.
post #192 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

[quote=krichter1;19737304][quote=dogone;19735122]

How do you know they "will"? I don't see any dimensions on these or in the reviews??

Someone claims they are 2/34" tall. That is plenty of clearance. And since many are saying they are huge I am sure they are at least 6.5 to 7" long.

post #193 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 02:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer View Post
One additional point for consideration, is compatibility with 3D SBS material. From what I have read the JVC series need several remote commands in order for the PJ to engage with SBS content, it is not automatic. This is particularly relevant when watching 3D TV content. I had a demo of an X7 and the guy finally gave up trying to get the X7 into SBS mode.

Since it have not been mentioned, I am assuming that the Sony will simply need to be switched to 3D mode.

I hasten to add that I do not own either of these projectors and cannot confirm this point.
Another excellent point. No matter what style 3D I would send into the VW90 it would just display it. No questions asked.

post #194 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

It appears to be true...I cannot get Directv 3D to play on the JVC RS40...However, I have no problems using the Sony VW90...
post #195 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
It appears to be true...I cannot get Directv 3D to play on the JVC RS40...However, I have no problems using the Sony VW90...
Apparently you need to go into the user menu each time that you want to watch SBS material on the JVC and select something or other, sorry I cannot be more specific. During the demo I had, the JVC guy was telling everyone he was trying to get Japan to make a short cut to the 'feature'

Boy I am pleased that the Sony does not have this issue as I will mostly watch SBS content.

Hey Rod
Any chance you can find the time to take a picture of the underside of the VW90?
post #196 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Apparently you need to go into the user menu each time that you want to watch SBS material on the JVC and select something or other, sorry I cannot be more specific. During the demo I had, the JVC guy was telling everyone he was trying to get Japan to make a short cut to the 'feature'

Boy I am pleased that the Sony does not have this issue as I will mostly watch SBS content.

Hey Rod
Any chance you can find the time to take a picture of the underside of the VW90?
I would like to but mine is hanging currently and with friends coming over tonight and family tomorrow it is going to be hard to find time to take it down. I am sure someone here may find it easier to do so. I will say I am using a Chief RPAU which is the same I have used for every pj I have had here.

post #197 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 43
The issue of non-automatic detection of SBS and TB is nothing to do with the JVC. No devices yet that I know of can auto signal the display to tell it that it is sending a SBS or TB format image and afterall a side-by-side 3D signal is just a trick to get 3D from a normal output hence no satellite/cable box needs to be updated to send it. For example in the UK, the Sky satellite boxes don't even have HDMI 1.3, but comfortably send SBS images just like any normal channel.

I don't know if there is anything in the HDMI standard to support the signalling of SBS or TB signals? If so, I haven't come across any devices using it yet.

The big boo boo from JVC is that there is no 3D button to quickly go into the right mode and even in the menu it is several layers down making it a fumble each time. That is unforgivable. There are buttons on there I will never use and I think most people will never use....so they could easily have provided a 3D button without a change in remote control design.
post #198 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post
I would like to but mine is hanging currently and with friends coming over tonight and family tomorrow it is going to be hard to find time to take it down. I am sure someone here may find it easier to do so. I will say I am using a Chief RPAU which is the same I have used for every pj I have had here.
I understand Rod. Perhaps I should just assume its the same and buy the VW85 plate.
post #199 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Bottom of the VW85 which I am 99.9% sure is the same as the VW90...
LL

post #200 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Bottom of the VW85 which I am 99.9% sure is the same as the VW90...
Brilliant

Thank you!
post #201 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 06:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Your welcome.

post #202 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hey Rod
I will take a pic if you can wait till tonight...I'm going to be playing around with the Sony tonight anyways...
post #203 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=krichter1;19737304]
Quote:

Here's the one Adi posted the other day:

Case is 3 inches wide. Case is 6.5 inches tall. Case is 2 inches thick.

http://www.amazon.com/EXTRA-LARGE-BL...ref=pd_sbs_a_8

Kevin, the clamshells are supposed to be 2 3/4" thick and since they are a universal sunglasses case I would assume they would make them big enough to handle all sunglass types...and some sunglasses are pretty big. The reviews at Amazon all say they are BIG and fit large sunglasses...Here's a pic...I like the shiny "leather" look...

post #204 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:

I will take a pic if you can wait till tonight...I'm going to be playing around with the Sony tonight anyways...

Much appreciated.
Thank you
post #205 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:

1. The ghosting appears about the same on both projectors. There are instances where the ghosting is inverted or not the same as the Sony...For example, with the JVC, on the Imax "Under the Sea" blu-ray 3D movie, the eyes on the Sea Lions are doubled on the forehead of the Sea Lion, where on the Sony the eyes are doubled but show up on the "outside" of the Sea Lions head. I don't know what would cause this. But for most material there is very little really bad ghosting on either projector.

2. I only use Directv and Blu-ray and occasionally plug in my Sony laptop using HDMI...I find no problems with either projector using these sources. The JVC seems to take a bit longer to sync than the Sony...but we are only talking seconds here.

3. I am just an average Joe user, but I find both give pretty good flexability on calibrating and settings.

4. I am not a gamer, so I don't know what advantage the Sony may have using FI in 3D for gaming...I do use it for animated 3D flicks and some action movies and I like it.

5. I use the 2D to 3D conversion for football games...(I like it).

6. The lens shift works about the same on both models and I like both and find them both smooth in operation.

7. Don't know if it is the lens, but the Sony appears to be just a tad sharper in image quality.

8. I thought I would add the fact that the JVC has a smoother focus adjustment...they both use power and the Sony seems a bit jerky, or sticky...The JVC is easier to focus.

I do not think that the Sony is justified being twice the cost of the JVC...although some will find the different image quality and added features worth it.

I have been following this thread somewhat carefully, and yet I am still confused as to why you are keeping the RS-40, as it seems that the Sony does just about everything better, or at least equal to, the JVC. Other than the fact that you have the cash to spare, why exactly are you keeping the RS40? What does it do better than the Sony?
post #206 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Sorel View Post

I have been following this thread somewhat carefully, and yet I am still confused as to why you are keeping the RS-40, as it seems that the Sony does just about everything better, or at least equal to, the JVC. Other than the fact that you have the cash to spare, why exactly are you keeping the RS40? What does it do better than the Sony?

I want another 3D projector for my Great room upstairs...and I got such a great deal from Jason on the RS40, I figure I'll use it up there when folks want to congregate in a more "open" family oriented atmosphere... Now this may change pending the Directv issues with the JVC...If it's gonna be in the great room, then playing 3D Directv is a must for me...So, we'll see.
post #207 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

I want another 3D projector for my Great room upstairs...and I got such a great deal from Jason on the RS40, I figure I'll use it up there when folks want to congregate in a more "open" family oriented atmosphere... Now this may change pending the Directv issues with the JVC...If it's gonna be in the great room, then playing 3D Directv is a must for me...So, we'll see.

I got that...

But early in the thread, before you got permission from the warden to keep both units, you were somewhat torn as to which unit to keep. If you were only going to keep one unit, are you still torn in any way between the two, or is the Sony the hand's down winner in every category? Is there anything that the JVC does better?

Don't worry about offending me...even though I own an RS-35 I am by no means a fan of JVC...I find it to be the most over rated projector in the forum and I am glad to see that someone else has recognized this (if indeed you have). JVC can do no wrong here. When the colors were inaccurate (RS-1 and RS-2), JVC fans told us how much better the oversaturated colors looked and how they magically recreated larger color gamuts. When the JVCs were not as sharp as some of their competitors, JVC fans shouted about how "film like" and "analog" the picture was, and how they resolved "full 1080p" detail....and since the JVCs have less ANSI (and in a lot of cases intrascene) contrast, some people have even suggested that less contrast is "more natural" looking, despite the fact that every year early viewers swear that JVC has really improved its ANSI contrast a lot.

I don't know for sure, but it really sounds like JVC has introduced a few bugs and problems this round, while Sony is really getting its act together. Let's see who is first (and best) when the light source is changed to either LED or laser.
post #208 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 12:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I got that...

But early in the thread, before you got permission from the warden to keep both units, you were somewhat torn as to which unit to keep. If you were only going to keep one unit, are you still torn in any way between the two, or is the Sony the hand's down winner in every category? Is there anything that the JVC does better?

Don't worry about offending me...even though I own an RS-35 I am by no means a fan of JVC...I find it to be the most over rated projector in the forum and I am glad to see that someone else has recognized this (if indeed you have). JVC can do no wrong here. When the colors were inaccurate (RS-1 and RS-2), JVC fans told us how much better the oversaturated colors looked and how they magically recreated larger color gamuts. When the JVCs were not as sharp as some of their competitors, JVC fans shouted about how "film like" and "analog" the picture was, and how they resolved "full 1080p" detail....and since the JVCs have less ANSI (and in a lot of cases intrascene) contrast, some people have even suggested that less contrast is "more natural" looking, despite the fact that every year early viewers swear that JVC has really improved its ANSI contrast a lot.

I don't know for sure, but it really sounds like JVC has introduced a few bugs and problems this round, while Sony is really getting its act together. Let's see who is first (and best) when the light source is changed to either LED or laser.

I get a lot of what you are saying. And since I owned the Sony VW85, VW200, VW60 and VW100 as well as the JVC RS2 (FPJ1), RS20, HD 550, HD 950 and HD990 I kinda understand the rivalry.

I will say I have the Notre Dame/Miami game on and the image just looks like pure eye candy. With great motion, colors and sharpness the game is that much more compelling. BTW, the Miami uniforms are awesome for the 2D to 3D conversion.

post #209 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

And since I owned the Sony VW85, VW200, VW60 and VW100 as well as the JVC RS2 (FPJ1), RS20, HD 550, HD 950 and HD990 I kinda understand the rivalry.

Yeah, Joe, you probably understand better than just about anyone else here...
post #210 of 559 Old 12-31-2010, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I got that...

I think if I absolutely "had" to decide between the two projectors, I would choose the Sony. I don't think that it's really a matter of which one does something better...I honestly think they are both awesome projectors, and I would miss either one if it were gone...(They are my children for christ sake! lol)...I have fallen in love with both of them. Really!...Unless the taxman comes knockin, or someone puts a gun to my head, neither projector is going anywhere!.... The JVC has that inky dark black that makes certain flicks really enjoyable, and the Sony has that pop that makes Directv and sports just really, err, umm, "pop"... So I guess I'll just have to force myself to live with both of them...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw90es 3d 240hz Sxrd Projector
Gear in this thread - 240hz by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page