Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 377 Old 04-02-2011, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks TCARCIO for your thoughts. I have made up my mind to get the Sony. I cant wait to get it. I think that I will do the same as you and use the Optoma for football games and F1 races that I like to watch. The picture on it is still pretty good for TV. The Sony will be for Blu-rays movies at night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 377 Old 04-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Your welcome and enjoy........
post #273 of 377 Old 04-03-2011, 10:58 AM

Hi everyone - didn't read the full thread (so sorry if this is mentioned somewhere) but is there any reason that Sony is calling this projector a 3D model? I have the VPL-HS20 and have recently thought of upgrading and went to Sonystyle to see what they had, and thought $3500 for a 3D 1080P projector was awesome. Here is the link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...72279#features

Let me know. Thanks!

Paul
post #274 of 377 Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulper View Post
Hi everyone - didn't read the full thread (so sorry if this is mentioned somewhere) but is there any reason that Sony is calling this projector a 3D model? I have the VPL-HS20 and have recently thought of upgrading and went to Sonystyle to see what they had, and thought $3500 for a 3D 1080P projector was awesome. Here is the link:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...72279#features

Let me know. Thanks!

Paul
Como WHAT?! Unless something's changed - there's nothing in my manual that states this projector supports 3D so now I'm confused?!

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #275 of 377 Old 04-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

That has to be wrong. Probably just a misprint ad on the site.
post #276 of 377 Old 04-03-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
Yeah, that has to be a typo.

https://live.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc...52921666272283

This is the link for the vw90 and it's the same main title text, but the body of specifics cover all of the the 240hz and 3D specs.

That being said, the HS20 shares the some of new SXRD panel design benefits and higher contrast performance of the vw90 SXRD panel.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #277 of 377 Old 04-04-2011, 09:49 AM

I was looking to get 3D aswell at the time but the 3D version is like 8500 euro's.
post #278 of 377 Old 04-07-2011, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I saw that too on Sony's site... but I agree it has to be a typo/copy/paste error. If this truly had 3D it would be generating a lot more buzz.

post #279 of 377 Old 04-07-2011, 12:23 PM

Since i'm not gettin any replys anymore ill ask again ;-).

What can i do to get rid of the hot spot effect on my screen, do i have to get a screen with less gain, or is this something i can tackle with ajusting picture settings ?

Thanks for the help.
post #280 of 377 Old 04-08-2011, 02:38 PM

I'm switching my screen material from a 1.4 gain white to an uncoated 1.0 gain white with the hope that the "sparklie" effect is eliminated. I'm not sure if that's the same as the hotspot effect that you're getting, DJData. You could try running your projector on low lamp mode in the meantime. But I kind of doubt that will make too much difference.

For what it's worth, my screen is about 3 years old and the sparklie effect was there with my old Panny AE900 but is more pronounced now with the brighter Sony.
post #281 of 377 Old 04-08-2011, 03:02 PM

Hi chada ty for the reply ;-), i think i have the same trouble indeed.
I'm already running low light and tried putting dawn brightness and contrast to about 30% , but no diffrence , and since my screen has Ã* 1.8 gain its no wonder if i read what your are using ;-).

Keep me posted please about the 1.0 gain screen , i'm sure now i will have to get another one aswell and have no clue what to get ;-).
post #282 of 377 Old 04-10-2011, 05:20 AM

This is my first projector - just arrived. Room is 160'wide x 220' long x89' . Debating 16:9 Vs 2.35:1. Will watch about 50% movies/ rest Dish HD. Any sggestions? Everytime I changes aspect ratios, do I have to manually adjust the lens? PJ will be ceiling-mounted.
post #283 of 377 Old 04-10-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
160 feet wide by 220 feet long!?! that's not a room - that's a mansion

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #284 of 377 Old 04-10-2011, 07:44 AM

oops, sorry.. that was supposed to be inches....
post #285 of 377 Old 04-10-2011, 07:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Dparklies and hot spotting are not the samne and this is not the screen forum wehere matter like this have been discussed ad nauseum.

I will be brief. Hotspotting is where one sits in one place and sees areas on the screen that look brigher than other areas. To see if your SETUP has it, view say a 100 IRE window filling the whole screen. It really has nothing to to do with the brightness or contrast yada of the projector. It has to do with screen gain and the throw ratio where your projector is SETUP. Angulat reflective screens (all screens normally being duscussed othrer tjhan thje Da-litre HP (which professionals know to have its own set of problerms and set up rtequirements) will hotspot once their gain exceeds 1.3 or so. As gain exceeds 1.3, the degree of hotspotting can be ameliorated by SETTING UP at long throw. screen manufactures will normally specify a throw of a least 1.5 for a screen gain of 1.5. A hiugher throw is better. For really hiogh gain screens one really needs to go to even higher throw

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #286 of 377 Old 04-10-2011, 08:21 AM

Hello Mark, i will also have a look then at the screen section to read more about it.

As it is in my situation , it is hot spotting , and since i found that the gain is 1.8 on the screen i have now that is no surprise then.

My Sony is sitting 6 meters from the screen , thats about the maximum i can pull it back from the screen, nothing i can do there, so i will go and get a screen with anything under 1.3 then to make sure the problem is gone, thanks for the advice.
post #287 of 377 Old 04-13-2011, 03:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd1 View Post

Thanks TCARCIO for your thoughts. I have made up my mind to get the Sony. I cant wait to get it. I think that I will do the same as you and use the Optoma for football games and F1 races that I like to watch. The picture on it is still pretty good for TV. The Sony will be for Blu-rays movies at night.

Well did you get the PJ and if so what do you think???????
post #288 of 377 Old 04-17-2011, 01:31 PM

Hi all,

Have had the pro1 about a week and like it very much! I can say LCOS is much better looking then LCD technology, if anyone is still debating between the two.

I have a question. I have calibrated the Pro1 using the following review as a guide:
projectorreviews.com/sony/vpl-vwpro1/calibration.php

The problem I am having is setting the last section, here is a copy of it below:

RGB Settings

Calibration settings for User: Iris off, all other settings same as pre-calibration or as stated below.

User 3, Custom 3, Gamma 3 Quick Cal, User 1, Custom 4
Gain R = 8 R = 20
G = 0 G = -10
B = -9 B = -25

Bias R = 5 R = 0
G = 0 G = 0
B = -3 B = 0

Lumens at 100 IRE: 768 @ 6794 982 @ 8167

This picture look much better after calibration, and it fixed the problem I was having with the blacks. The blacks are much better now.

I can't figure out how to adjust gain on the RGB channels however like it says at the bottom of the review. Anyone know where the settings are on the Pro1 to adjust this? How do i get R=8, G=0, etc?
post #289 of 377 Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

It is absolutley that much better. But you are going from 720p to 1080p so it better be better. I still have my Optoma set up and will use it so I can save on the lamp of the Sony.

Does Sony upgrade this projector every year. Should we be expecting a HW25 for Sept 2011. What features and specs do you guys think it might have if a new proj at this ,evel is introduced at Cedia ?
post #290 of 377 Old 05-10-2011, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Sony has to have an entry level 3D projector in the works. Maybe the hw25 since it's panel is fast enough for 240hz processing like the vw90.

post #291 of 377 Old 05-11-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Well if they want 3D to take off they need to get it into affordable 1080p projectors. A 40" to 60" panel with 3D actually makes the set you are watching feel smaller. It becomes nothing more than a window box. 3D needs a large projection system to be truly appreciated. The problem is that most don't want to drop a huge bucket load of cash into a 3D system for the limited content.

post #292 of 377 Old 05-15-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 36
should I consider this pro1 to the JVC HD250??? I've been hearing some horror stories on the JVC's as of late and have owned quite a few sony's. My only caveat is that I want a brighter pic than my current epson home cinema pro 1080UB......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #293 of 377 Old 05-19-2011, 06:23 AM

my projector lamp is burning for about 90 hours now and there's still a noticeable 'hot electronic' smell from the right vent- the one where you can see the blue panels inside and has noticeably less airflow than the other vent. i don't know what to place the smell as and am frankly concerned for my health and my baby's. i doubt sony wouldn't be as negligent as releasing a toxic product but is this smell safe to let it circulated in a closed environment?

does your's have the same smell even after longer usage time than 90 hours?

the smell is sort of like rosin flux+ozone. i hope someone from sony takes notice of my concern.
post #294 of 377 Old 05-19-2011, 07:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafandblindfan View Post
my projector lamp is burning for about 90 hours now and there's still a noticeable 'hot electronic' smell from the right vent- the one where you can see the blue panels inside and has noticeably less airflow than the other vent. i don't know what to place the smell as and am frankly concerned for my health and my baby's. i doubt sony wouldn't be as negligent as releasing a toxic product but is this smell safe to let it circulated in a closed environment?

the smell is sort of like rosin flux+ozone. i hope someone from sony takes notice of my concern.
Most brand new projectors have a very particular electronics smell to them (I love it), but after 90 hours it seems it would have pretty much gone away. It wouldn't hurt to ask sony about it.
post #295 of 377 Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

I have 350hrs on my Pro1 and I never had any type of smell that I noticed so I would call and talk to someone about it to be sure. Do you have it well ventilated?
post #296 of 377 Old 05-19-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafandblindfan View Post

Absolutely no smell from mine, even when we first fired it up.
post #297 of 377 Old 05-20-2011, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

I'm really baffled about the review on projectorreview.com and how Art says that the Epson 8700 had deeper blacks in some scenes (most/all?). I realize that both projectors use a dynamic iris, but the Sony is supposed to be very bright after being calibrated, actually quite brighter than the Epson.

Assuming that the iris's were turned OFF on both, shouldn't the Sony have a better native contrast? I mean we're talking a fairly high end situation LCOS panel vs an LCD panel. What's the deal?

The one thing that kind of annoys me is that the black level comparison is never done on the technical side. Instead of using generalizations about a scene, it should be measured. The black level of one scene on one projector could look higher than the same scene on another projector because the picture is actually brighter overall. If the iris of the brighter machine was "clamped down" to match the exact brightness of the competing projector, THEN we would have a better comparison-and possibly better blacks for that particular scene. If a manual iris was used (if available), you could compare two scenes better by matching their light output exactly. THEN, see what the blacks are doing in the background.

Maybe the Sony's iris isn't closing far enough on the dark scenes? It seems like it could....being that is so bright. I'm not suggesting the iris should be aggressive as hell, but I think it all comes down to native contrast and iris programming.

Also, why is JVC able to pull it off swimmingly, and everyone else is left in the dust (regardless of the display tech being used)?
post #298 of 377 Old 05-20-2011, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

I'm really baffled about the review on projectorreview.com and how Art says that the Epson 8700 had deeper blacks in some scenes (most/all?)...
Assuming that the iris's were turned OFF on both, shouldn't the Sony have a better native contrast? ...

It is best to remember that Projector Reviews is not a technical review site, merely Art's personal opinion on projectors. If you search the archives you will find Art's defense and explaination. For some reason he really likes Epson.

If you are looking for objective comparative data check out http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/266...PL-HW20-5.html You may have to use Google to translate the french. The Epson TW5500 is the euro model of the Epson 9700. you will find that the Sony measures ~2x the native contrast of the Epson (9,000:1 vs. 4.600:1)

There are options in the Sony service menu to make the DI more agressive. IIRC member Bytehoven did a fantastic job detailing said options. Search his HW10??HW15 thread.
post #299 of 377 Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Sony has said the native contrast on the Pro1 is around 14K:1. Maybe that's at a higher color temp.

post #300 of 377 Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

So is the black level ability the only thing holding this projector back from being a JVC killer? It has tighter convergence control (possible sharper image), excellent motion, almost dead on color (after only greyscale calibration, not even messing with CMS yet), and is brighter when calibrated? Am I missing anything?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page