Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 379 Old 01-15-2011, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post

Now I wish I bought a bigger screen than 121", I think many VWPro1 users are using bigger than 121", please share your screen type/size as well as screenshots.

How is this projector for NFL football?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 379 Old 01-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

I think it's great because it's so bright. My previous projectors I had to have a pitch black room because a little bit of light would greatly wash out the image.

So imagine drawing 3 layers of curtains and a pitch black room for a 1PM Sunday football game. Now image with people trying to find their soda, beer, chips, bowl of dip, etc.

But this baby works very well. I have lights on and I don't feel it's washing out the image... and I don't even have a screen (it's projected on the wall), so I don't even have the benefit of gain.
post #93 of 379 Old 01-15-2011, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How does it handle the fast motions? The show Detroit 1-8-7 is a good show to see how it does with fast motions.
post #94 of 379 Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Reviews I have read say the vwPro1/HS20 inherently handles motion better. This has to be in part due to the new panel design, which is a variation of what's used on the vw90.

Because the vwPro1 uses a variation of the new panel in vw90, I've been trying to find out from a Sony contact, if the vwPro1 is 3D ready and might work/sync with an external 120hz 3D solution.

Does the vwPro1 have Motion Enhancement controls?

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

post #95 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post
Reviews I have read say the vwPro1/HS20 inherently handles motion better. This has to be in part due to the new panel design, which is a variation of what's used on the vw90.

Because the vwPro1 uses a variation of the new panel in vw90, I've been trying to find out from a Sony contact, if the vwPro1 is 3D ready and might work/sync with an external 120hz 3D solution.

Does the vwPro1 have Motion Enhancement controls?
B,

What tyoe of 120kz 3d solutions areyou speaking of...something like the Lumegen minime. Are there any 120kz 2d external devices. Please enlighten me. Im very new to the world of projectors.
post #96 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
B,

What tyoe of 120kz 3d solutions areyou speaking of...something like the Lumegen minime. Are there any 120kz 2d external devices. Please enlighten me. Im very new to the world of projectors.
There are several propsed external 3D boxes designed to work with 3D ready displays. Lumagen is supposed to be working on a solution, as is Optoma and a few others. I have no idea which of the 3rd party solutions will be the best value or the best performer, we will have to wait and see.

I am just curious to know if the vwPro1/HW20 is 3D ready.

post #97 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 01:20 PM

Quote:
There are several propsed external 3D boxes designed to work with 3D ready displays. Lumagen is supposed to be working on a solution, as is Optoma and a few others. I have no idea which of the 3rd party solutions will be the best value or the best performer, we will have to wait and see.

I am just curious to know if the vwPro1/HW20 is 3D ready.
Byte,

Have you or anyone else here heard if the HW20 2d performance is better than the JVC's RS40 2d performance. Seems I read that on one of the treads here somewhere.
post #98 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Byte,

Have you or anyone else here heard if the HW20 2d performance is better than the JVC's RS40 2d performance. Seems I read that on one of the treads here somewhere.
I thought reviews were mixed. While the vwPro1/HW20 was a winner if brightness was the primary consideration, various JVC projectors were still considered superior in some other areas. That being said... Based on what I have read from a number of sources, I believe the vwPro1/HW20 would still make an excellent projector. The only reason the vwPro1/HW20 wasn't my upgrade list was because I really want the motion handling of the vw85 or vw90 which is even better. I should note, I did read the vwPro1 handles motion better than early SXRD projectors like the HW10, but I could not find out why or how.

post #99 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I thought reviews were mixed. While the vwPro1/HW20 was a winner if brightness was the primary consideration, various JVC projectors were still considered superior in some other areas. That being said... Based on what I have read from a number of sources, I believe the vwPro1/HW20 would still make an excellent projector. The only reason the vwPro1/HW20 wasn't my upgrade list was because I really want the motion handling of the vw85 or vw90 which is even better. I should note, I did read the vwPro1 handles motion better than early SXRD projectors like the HW10, but I could not find out why or how.
B,

do you own the Sony 90Es...hw does the HW20 compare to it?
post #100 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

B, do you own the Sony 90Es...hw does the HW20 compare to it?

I just bought the vw90.

I have not seen either in action. But I understand their technical differences and can relate that to what I have read others report.

I expect the vwPro1 to be competitive in it's price range. I also expect the projector to be competitive against some more expensive projectors when brightness is a primary focus.

However, I don't expect it to compete against the vw90, unless brightness was a primary concern.

The real question is... does the vw90 offer enough extra performance to justify it's cost over the vwPro1/HW20? I had a similar question 2 years ago and ended up buying and calibrating a HW10 to perfection. This time around I am spending the extra $$$ on the vw90. But I could understand why others would be justified in doing what I did in the past, especially if you can have the vwPro1 fully calibrated after 100 hours or so.

post #101 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Comparing to VPL-VW60 ($4000), VWPro1 ($3200) is brighter, sharper, and better contrast/color. With VW60, it was hard to watch during daytime with light coming from 6 windows, but with Pro1, it very much watch-able during daytime. Night, it's much brighter, plus I sometimes keep the living room lights on at night, still awesome.

My Screen: 120" Elite CineTension2.

The outter pannel color, VW60 was better (pearl finish) vs. glossy piano black on Pro1.
Overall design is almost same, but VW60 looks and feels more solid build. VW60 is heavier due to motor lens.

Remote control: VWPro1 is nicer in layout with blue backlight.

Menu: VW60 and Pro1 are almost same. Pro1 black menu vs VW60 blue menu.

VW60 has motorized lens vs manual lens.

VW60 has 12V trigger for screen vs no trigger for VWPro1
post #102 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I checked out the VPL-VW70 over the weekend. What a gorgeous image this projector throws! I can only imagine how well the VWPro1 performs! I presume it will be even better! The skin tones and colors were really really good! And sharpness was better than I expected..nearly DLP sharp. It gave the $11000 Runco a run for its money.
post #103 of 379 Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:

I just bought the vw90.

I have not seen either in action. But I understand their technical differences and can relate that to what I have read others report.

I expect the vwPro1 to be competitive in it's price range. I also expect the projector to be competitive against some more expensive projectors when brightness is a primary focus.

However, I don't expect it to compete against the vw90, unless brightness was a primary concern.

The real question is... does the vw90 offer enough extra performance to justify it's cost over the vwPro1/HW20? I had a similar question 2 years ago and ended up buying and calibrating a HW10 to perfection. This time around I am spending the extra $$$ on the vw90. But I could understand why others would be justified in doing what I did in the past, especially if you can have the vwPro1 fully calibrated after 100 hours or so.

I look foward to your impressions of the 90ES. Thanks for answering my questions.
post #104 of 379 Old 01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I would say this projector is good for NFL football, but not as good as my Optoma DLP was. It is the one area I am a little disappointed in with the Sony. When the camera is zoomed in on a player between plays, the picture is stunning (colors are way more vibrant and the picture is brighter). When the cameras are panning and players are running all over the place, the picture displays some motion artifacts. It's not horrible, but my 720P DLP projector was better, I think, in this respect. Then again, I also think part of it is just missing DirecTV. I switched to uverse a couple of years ago (mostly for the internet speed, but I think DirecTV was better for football (and maybe HD in general). I may go back to DirecTV and see how it looks on this PJ. I have seen uverse on both PJs, but never DirecTV on the Sony.
post #105 of 379 Old 01-18-2011, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Can anyone comment on the Motion Enhancer option on the vwPro1?

Yes. There isn't one.
post #106 of 379 Old 01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 29
geometrician,

I kept my Infoucs IN76, a 720 DLP for watching sports but use my JVC for movies; I had a Sony HW10 last year.

The HW20 sounds like a winner, if I ever get back to work again in this new normal economy.
post #107 of 379 Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM

Hello all i have the hw20 and its my first projector so i can't realy compare but i realy like it ;-).

I have a problem doh, and that is , when i have it sitting on a shelf i can not shift the picture enough to get to the low position of the screen.

I can lower the shelf about 35 cm but i would need 75 cm or around that.

I found that when i turn the shift button the otherway around that it seems to have a lot more room for shiffting the image,as if you would get more shifting room when you mount it on the ceiling upside down, wich is not a crazy thought i think ;-).

So my question is, is that so, and if so is there a custom mount for this machine ?

Thanks for your reply.

Data.
post #108 of 379 Old 01-20-2011, 06:40 AM

It seems that was a pretty stupid question since all projectors seem to have this option, so no reply is needed anymore i orderd a mount and should be fine ;-).
post #109 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I´m interesting on this machine. any one has result about calibration of color?
post #110 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimemlg View Post

I´m interesting on this machine. any one has result about calibration of color?

In what way? I used AVIA to calibrate colors and it looks great.
post #111 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 10:02 AM

How does HW20 compare to HW10, especially in terms of black level? I have a Hw10 and most of the time I am satisfied of the picture it produces, but especially the dark scenes arent THAT great (often very gray). I understand that HW15 did take a minor leap in on/off comparing to HW10, so HW20 should be much better than HW10, am I correct?

The point is that would I be satisfied to the black level of HW20, if Hw10 in my opinion is very gray or should I move to the next level and buy jvc X3?

Ps. sorry for the bad english, I don´t write a lot in English.
post #112 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomppaKoo View Post

How does HW20 compare to HW10, especially in terms of black level? I have a Hw10 and most of the time I am satisfied of the picture it produces, but especially the dark scenes arent THAT great (often very gray). I understand that HW15 did take a minor leap in on/off comparing to HW10, so HW20 should be much better than HW10, am I correct?

The point is that would I be satisfied to the black level of HW20, if Hw10 in my opinion is very gray or should I move to the next level and buy jvc X3?

Ps. sorry for the bad english, I don´t write a lot in English.

From all my understanding, HW20 is 3 times better than HW10. A reviewer pointed out that HW20 is much better than even the VW100 (Ruby).
post #113 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Walley View Post

In what way? I used AVIA to calibrate colors and it looks great.

Do we have to buy AVIA software or is something free we can download from online? How does AVIA compare to Sony Image Director3?
post #114 of 379 Old 01-22-2011, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:

Do we have to buy AVIA software or is something free we can download from online? How does AVIA compare to Sony Image Director3?

AVIA is a commercial product.
Isn't Image Director for custom gamma control? I also believe it does not work with the lower end Sonys - lack of an RS232 port for computer hookup.

If you are looking for useful calibration tools look here on AVS.

ted
post #115 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

From all my understanding, HW20 is 3 times better than HW10. A reviewer pointed out that HW20 is much better than even the VW100 (Ruby).

3 times better? Do you remember where this number came from?
post #116 of 379 Old 01-23-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:

Netflix has it. But you'll still need to get the color filters. I think they are available from the website for $12 and that it's still cheaper than buying the DVD+filter at the store. But I think it's $15 for the DVD+filters anyway, I'd just buy it. That or Digital Video Essentials. I don't know which one is recommended or if they are comparable.
post #117 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Seems like there are not many VWPro1/HW20 owners out there yet.
or maybe they have not yet joined the forum.
post #118 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I think there will be more once people learn how good the projector can perform. Sony has again provided an excellent lower cost projector if you don't need 3D.

post #119 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

I'm still up in the air between this and the HD250. Normally, I'd be all for the sony, but we just had the Optical Block issue on our Sony RPtv. Do these use the same setup for the lcos chips? Or is the optical block a non issue on front projectors? We're still a month or two away from purchase, so I may be joining this thread more in the future.
post #120 of 379 Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

IMHO, the optical block issue in the RPTV is heat related in a way that can not happen in a projector. I just sold a HW10 with almost 3000 hours and it looked as good as the day I bought it. I was planning to install the new lamp and test the projector, but the buyer wanted to run on the old lamp a little longer.

I'm sure you would be happy with either projector, although there is something about the "look" of Sony versus JVC, which is probably why Sony owners continue to upgrade to Sony and JVC owners continue to upgrade to JVC.

Good luck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page