Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last
Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread
jae3cpamd's Avatar jae3cpamd 07:42 PM 03-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinomon View Post

You can see some HD sports shots. Trust me, it's very nice.

Also, yesterday I hooked up Dish Network and OTA program to the Projector, it was very nice to see the quality. I have to say, I am very happy with this purchase.

How did you hook up an OTA to the pro1?

jae3cpamd's Avatar jae3cpamd 07:45 PM 03-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The throw ratio range for this projector is 1.47 to 2.18 times the screen width. If you mount the projector measured from the front of the lens to the screen along a line perpendicular to the screen, the projected image will fill the screen after adjustment of the zoom and focusing the projector. Closer than 1.47 times the width and the image will not fill the screen. Farther than 2.18 times the width and the image will be too big. Asking whether a projector will work well with a particular projectors always is answerable with it depends. Screens often have more to do with the room and lights in the room. Screen gain, throw distance, lamp age all enter into the equation. Saying one doesn't need that good of screen, no offense, is rather inane. How about one doesn't need as good as projector as the Pro 1 or one doesn't need or want even a better projector. If you want to discuss screens, go to the screen forums or give one of us at AVS a call. We can take you through it all very quickly. Every screen and every projector involves compromises. One sets an objective and designs and choses components to obtain that objective. The Pro1 is a nice machine. We have more arriving shortly. If you are looking for one, please give us a call. Most end up very pleased when they do so and the whole AVS staff enjoys meeting and chatting with AVS members.

Mark,

I see you in my future...either with the Pro1 or 90ES!
Dinomon's Avatar Dinomon 08:10 PM 03-04-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

How did you hook up an OTA to the pro1?

I hooked up OTA via Dish Network receiver..
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 05:16 PM 03-05-2011
I either can't read (possibility) or it's not in there- how the heck do I flip the image?! Took me a while but I Finally mounted the Sony to my ceiling and I've got an image running but it's upside down and I don't see anything in the manual on how to 'flip' it!

UPDATE: Played w/the menu and found the setting..all set...next up is to get the screen up!
Dinomon's Avatar Dinomon 08:09 PM 03-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

I either can't read (possibility) or it's not in there- how the heck do I flip the image?! Took me a while but I Finally mounted the Sony to my ceiling and I've got an image running but it's upside down and I don't see anything in the manual on how to 'flip' it!

UPDATE: Played w/the menu and found the setting..all set...next up is to get the screen up!

Glad you found it, it was little tricky to find out how to flip the image for this PJ.
McBain's Avatar McBain 09:29 PM 03-06-2011
I haven't read the manual yet, but it took me a little while to find the HV flip setting as well.

At least for me this projector is very impressive out of the box. And IMO beats my HD80 in every category. The picture has more punch, the picture quality is better, Blu-rays played from the PS3 are sharp and detailed, HD sports are also very good, etc. The HD80 sounded like a freight train compared to the Sony. It is barely audible. I am very pleased, so far.

jae3cpamd - I did take several screen shots today after I ran through a quick calibration with my older Avia DVD. Just made few tweaks to the main settings. I am hesitant to even post the link to these, because they honestly don't do the projector justice. The photos say more about my inexperience taking these kind of shots than any short comings of the unit. Any motion blur is exaggerated by the slow shutter speed I was using and I didn't really notice this until I got the photos on the computer. Anyway here is the link.
jae3cpamd's Avatar jae3cpamd 10:34 AM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post

I haven't read the manual yet, but it took me a little while to find the HV flip setting as well.

At least for me this projector is very impressive out of the box. And IMO beats my HD80 in every category. The picture has more punch, the picture quality is better, Blu-rays played from the PS3 are sharp and detailed, HD sports are also very good, etc. The HD80 sounded like a freight train compared to the Sony. It is barely audible. I am very pleased, so far.

jae3cpamd - I did take several screen shots today after I ran through a quick calibration with my older Avia DVD. Just made few tweaks to the main settings. I am hesitant to even post the link to these, because they honestly don't do the projector justice. The photos say more about my inexperience taking these kind of shots than any short comings of the unit. Any motion blur is exaggerated by the slow shutter speed I was using and I didn't really notice this until I got the photos on the computer. Anyway here is the link.

Thanks MCB,

Starting to lean to the Pro1 over the 90es. Its brighter, and I dont care about 3d at all. Also its much cheaper!
Dinomon's Avatar Dinomon 01:40 PM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jae3cpamd View Post

Thanks MCB,

Starting to lean to the Pro1 over the 90es. Its brighter, and I dont care about 3d at all. Also its much cheaper!

You can buy (3) Pro1 for the price of (1) 90ES.
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 06:05 PM 03-07-2011
Where are these available?
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 06:29 PM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post

I haven't read the manual yet, but it took me a little while to find the HV flip setting as well.

At least for me this projector is very impressive out of the box. And IMO beats my HD80 in every category. The picture has more punch, the picture quality is better, Blu-rays played from the PS3 are sharp and detailed, HD sports are also very good, etc. The HD80 sounded like a freight train compared to the Sony. It is barely audible. I am very pleased, so far.

jae3cpamd - I did take several screen shots today after I ran through a quick calibration with my older Avia DVD. Just made few tweaks to the main settings. I am hesitant to even post the link to these, because they honestly don't do the projector justice. The photos say more about my inexperience taking these kind of shots than any short comings of the unit. Any motion blur is exaggerated by the slow shutter speed I was using and I didn't really notice this until I got the photos on the computer. Anyway here is the link.

Just checked out your pics - what screen type/mfg/model and size is that?
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 06:30 PM 03-07-2011
My projector is up but since it's just me it's really difficult figuring out how to hang the screen. I bought a 2x6x10' to attach to the ceiling joists to attach the screen.
McBain's Avatar McBain 08:35 PM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

Just checked out your pics - what screen type/mfg/model and size is that?

It's a Da-lite 106" diag. 16x9 Matte White screen with a gain of 1.0. I don't have complete light control since this is in my living room, but with the curtains closed, it works just fine for me.

Edit: I forgot to add that I mounted mine directly to the ceiling joists. The Da-lite included two angled hangers that I lag screwed into the ceiling joists. The other side of the hangers fit into a track on top of the screen housing. An extra pair of hands would help a lot. I had my wife help me and I only had to yell at her a couple of times for "not keeping her end up".
McBain's Avatar McBain 08:41 PM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Where are these available?

I went with AV Science for mine. Give one of the their sales staff a call and they can set you up.
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 08:43 PM 03-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Where are these available?

Finally. A question I can answer. Ahem. To the best of my knowledge, information, and belief, AV Science sells these and usually has them in stock for immediate delivery. If you or anyone is interested in purchasing one of these for their user enjoyment, please give me or anyone else on the crack AV Science sales team a call. You will be happy that you did.
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 03:21 AM 03-08-2011
OK guy's, Thanks. Mark I will call you.
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 07:37 AM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBain View Post
It's a Da-lite 106" diag. 16x9 Matte White screen with a gain of 1.0. I don't have complete light control since this is in my living room, but with the curtains closed, it works just fine for me.

Edit: I forgot to add that I mounted mine directly to the ceiling joists. The Da-lite included two angled hangers that I lag screwed into the ceiling joists. The other side of the hangers fit into a track on top of the screen housing. An extra pair of hands would help a lot. I had my wife help me and I only had to yell at her a couple of times for "not keeping her end up".
I have the Da-Lite 106" diag 16x9 matte white screen gain of 1.0! It's the contour electrol (so the screen is motorized).
Unfortunately the ceiling mounts wont' line up w/my beams where I have to hang it (since only one is adjustable) so I need to put up a 'brace' beam first. I bought a 2x6x10' beam and painted it white (since the ceiling is white) and I need to put that up first. I also have to make sure I mount it 19" from the wall (just enough to clear the 73" TV).
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 09:53 AM 03-08-2011
How close to the wall can these be mounted? I know the inputs are on the side but does it exhaust or intake from the back?
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 10:32 AM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

How close to the wall can these be mounted? I know the inputs are on the side but does it exhaust or intake from the back?

The manual states 11 7/8" on all sides. (if i remember correctly)
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 02:14 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

The manual states 11 7/8" on all sides. (if i remember correctly)

Wow, That seems like alot. I don't think I will be able to mount it anymore than 6" away from the back wall in order to get it to fill my screen.
tvted's Avatar tvted 02:39 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
Wow, That seems like alot. I don't think I will be able to mount it anymore than 6" away from the back wall in order to get it to fill my screen.
That info is there to protect the manufacturer.

I've been running my HW10 (same housing or at least the same form factor) for 2 years now with about 2 inches off the back wall. No signs of overheating and I've about 1500 hours on it. It sits on a shelf with the back edge of the shelf cut back about an inch to allow air flow. As long as the intake which is at the back is unobstructed, there is unlikely to be an issue.

Mine of course will go up in flames this evening just to spite me.

ted
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 02:41 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
Wow, That seems like alot. I don't think I will be able to mount it anymore than 6" away from the back wall in order to get it to fill my screen.
I was hoping to put it closer too for the exact same reason. I am at the very minimum throw distance for this projector in my room w/my screen. I still don't know if it will fit until I get my screen up. If it doesn't fit I'm gonna be very very unhappy. The air intake is only in the back of the unit. I ended up somehow not measuring correct so mine is @9" from the wall.
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 03:35 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post
That info is there to protect the manufacturer.

I've been running my HW10 (same housing or at least the same form factor) for 2 years now with about 2 inches off the back wall. No signs of overheating and I've about 1500 hours on it. It sits on a shelf with the back edge of the shelf cut back about an inch to allow air flow. As long as the intake which is at the back is unobstructed, there is unlikely to be an issue.

Mine of course will go up in flames this evening just to spite me.

ted
Well I hope your wrong about the "going up in flames" part but I am glad to hear it can be mounted closer. I would be more worried about it if it was exhaust coming out of the back because that would back heat up into the PJ and that is not good but intake shouldn't be a problem with at least a couple of inches like you have yours. Thanks, That makes me feel a bit better about getting this PJ.
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 03:40 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post
I was hoping to put it closer too for the exact same reason. I am at the very minimum throw distance for this projector in my room w/my screen. I still don't know if it will fit until I get my screen up. If it doesn't fit I'm gonna be very very unhappy. The air intake is only in the back of the unit. I ended up somehow not measuring correct so mine is @9" from the wall.
How big is your screen and how far away will the PJ be mounted? I have a 106" screen and the PJ will be mounted about 13' away.
tvted's Avatar tvted 04:54 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
Well I hope your wrong about the "going up in flames" part
Thanks, life just seems to be working that way for me of late.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post
but I am glad to hear it can be mounted closer. I would be more worried about it if it was exhaust coming out of the back because that would back heat up into the PJ and that is not good but intake shouldn't be a problem with at least a couple of inches like you have yours. Thanks, That makes me feel a bit better about getting this PJ.
Do be aware that the caveat is that you are operating the device outside of the manufacturer's spec. Though unlikely to create a problem per my experience, you can be made responsible should something go awry. Me, I'm cavalier.

ted
TCARCIO's Avatar TCARCIO 05:57 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvted View Post

Thanks, life just seems to be working that way for me of late.

Do be aware that the caveat is that you are operating the device outside of the manufacturer's spec. Though unlikely to create a problem per my experience, you can be made responsible should something go awry. Me, I'm cavalier.

ted

I won't tell Sony if you don't.......
Wryker's Avatar Wryker 07:37 PM 03-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

How big is your screen and how far away will the PJ be mounted? I have a 106" screen and the PJ will be mounted about 13' away.

for this projector on a 106" screen the minimum distance from the lens to the screen is 127.34375" (134.59375" from the front screw) on a 16x9 ceiling mount.

I just measured and my 'estimate' (since I only have the projector up) will put it at @128". So it'll be very interesting to see how accurate their specs are to actual measurements on the minimum side of their throw.
ChadA's Avatar ChadA 12:00 PM 03-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Finally. A question I can answer. Ahem. To the best of my knowledge, information, and belief, AV Science sells these and usually has them in stock for immediate delivery. If you or anyone is interested in purchasing one of these for their user enjoyment, please give me or anyone else on the crack AV Science sales team a call. You will be happy that you did.

I'll second that! Very happy with my transaction with AV Science (great service and the best price that I could find, to boot!).
mark haflich's Avatar mark haflich 03:05 PM 03-10-2011
Thank you, from all of us, for the nice words.
HoustonHoyaFan's Avatar HoustonHoyaFan 08:57 PM 03-10-2011
rgathright's Avatar rgathright 05:26 AM 03-11-2011
Even though the review for the Sony was positive it has me looking back again at the Epson 8700/9700 (wife wants black). I have yet to find something that will be an outstanding upgrade from my current Mits HC6000 without paying more than I want to. My wife would kill me if the upgrade was not better than our current setup. The JVC RS40 is there, but it is out of my price range. Right now my list is this Sony, JVC HD250, Mits HC6800 and now the Epson 9700. Maybe when Cedia comes out this year there would be more options. My setup has some minor ambient light (it is our everything TV) during the day time and it is a 133" HP screen shooting from about 16'.
Tags: Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector
First ... 5  6  7 8  9  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop