Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Crap....It wont work with my mount.......Delay's STINK......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2011, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCARCIO View Post

Post your input (put it on a chair and let her roll!!!). I'm excited to hear what you have to say about it.

I ordered the Peerless Universal mount and it worked out great!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Lite View Post
Post your input (put it on a chair and let her roll!!!). I'm excited to hear what you have to say about it.

I ordered the Peerless Universal mount and it worked out great!
I would but I want it exactly where it is going to be mounted before I run avia. That way it will be right when it's done. So it looks like I can get it done tommorrow or saturday..
Old 03-25-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:

If I remember I'll time how long it takes from the time the power comes on, to the time the image hits my screen (it's several seconds).

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 03-25-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Well I got it setup and running and my first impression is that I am very happy with the Pic and the brightness. Set up once I figured out how to use the mount that I had was a breeze. I can watch it with all my lights on and I get a great image. I have not done any adjustments or cal yet but so far I am thinking I did good. I will be getting everything back together and cleaned up so I can get avia up and running, I will post back what I think either later today or sometime this weekend.......Dam job alway's in the way...
Old 03-25-2011, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wryker View Post

If I remember I'll time how long it takes from the time the power comes on, to the time the image hits my screen (it's several seconds).

It is a little longer then my Optoma that's for sure but not too bad.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

It took approximately 30 seconds from power on to picture on screen.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 PM

What a difference a dark room makes!

While the black levels are still not what I expected I am completely satisfied. I'm not sure if it improves black level performance or if the darker room just takes your eyes away from the surrounding bright walls and ceiling. In any case I'm glad I spent $100 on paint and supplies and painted the room. For me it was the difference in enjoying a movie and thinking WTF are the black levels doing.... I painted the ceiling a flat black and walls a dark (slightly blue) gray.

Now I just need somewhere to sit.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It took approximately 30 seconds from power on to picture on screen.

I timed it and it took mine 55 seconds. I was going to cal the PJ with Avia but I think I am going to put some hours on the bulb first before I bother. It looks fantastic though and I am very happy.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I timed it and it took mine 55 seconds. I was going to cal the PJ with Avia but I think I am going to put some hours on the bulb first before I bother. It looks fantastic though and I am very happy.

I estimated at best since I forgot to start counting when I started it up - thus 30 seconds at least.

I've got 91 hours on the lamp already. I called a calibration professional who says that you need to get at least a good 100 hours on the lamp before you calibrate it. He stated the brightness will go down to what it will normally be at and the black levels will increase. That's what I'm looking forward too - my 106" screen is looking better and better.

Old 03-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I estimated at best since I forgot to start counting when I started it up - thus 30 seconds at least.

I've got 91 hours on the lamp already. I called a calibration professional who says that you need to get at least a good 100 hours on the lamp before you calibrate it. He stated the brightness will go down to what it will normally be at and the black levels will increase. That's what I'm looking forward too - my 106" screen is looking better and better.

Nice.....I talked to a pro calibrator today also and he said the same thing. Wait till at least 100hrs before calibration. I am useing a 106'' screen also. I am watching the hockey game and it is looking beautifull.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Nice.....I talked to a pro calibrator today also and he said the same thing. Wait till at least 100hrs before calibration. I am useing a 106'' screen also. I am watching the hockey game and it is looking beautifull.

What is the distance between the projector and the front of the screen? I'm at the Sony MINIMUM throw distance. I'm wondering if that's why the blacks aren't so 'black'. I'm at 100 hours now but with a white ceiling, matte white screen (which I should for the lighting in my Man's Room) and taupe curtains and rug...it's bright and the blacks are still what I expected (no different than my 73" DLP Mitsy TV which are known to not have deep blacks).

Old 03-26-2011, 06:37 AM
Advanced Member

It is 13'4'' from lens to screen and it is a cinema white 1.1 gain. I have a dark green cieling and the walls are a dark maple color paneling. I am not being to critical as of yet because I want to wait until it is calibrated after some time on the lamp but so far as I said I love the image. I turned on my Optoma HD72 last night and it's image ,although it has been good enough for me up till now, is no match for the Sony. But that's really not a fair fight as the Optoma is 720p.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

You're further away than I am (projector to screen). The projector is the closest it can be to fit on the screen (within 1 inch). 2.0 matte white da-lite screen since i keep the ambient light out.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:36 PM

Hello all, i have a problem wich i wonder if there's anything i can do about.
When i look at the screen there is a spot in the screen were the screen refeltcs more then on other spots, when i move around the spot moves with me on the screen so i think it has to do with the angle to the screen while watching, but i find it realy anoying.
I hope i explained hat i mean in a understandable way ,and wonder if there is a solution for this, a less refelctive screen maybe ?

Second thing id like to improve is the picture with movement. When i play Blu rays from my PS3 i find that in a lot of movies when there is a pan movent, or people walking across of the camera, the picture is not fluent, like it is skipping frames or something, but i don't know what to blame for that, is it the PS3 , the cable, the hw20 ?

Hope someone here can help me get these things sorted.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJData View Post

Hello all, i have a problem wich i wonder if there's anything i can do about.
When i look at the screen there is a spot in the screen were the screen refeltcs more then on other spots, when i move around the spot moves with me on the screen so i think it has to do with the angle to the screen while watching, but i find it realy anoying.
I hope i explained hat i mean in a understandable way ,and wonder if there is a solution for this, a less refelctive screen maybe ?

Second thing id like to improve is the picture with movement. When i play Blu rays from my PS3 i find that in a lot of movies when there is a pan movent, or people walking across of the camera, the picture is not fluent, like it is skipping frames or something, but i don't know what to blame for that, is it the PS3 , the cable, the hw20 ?

Hope someone here can help me get these things sorted.

In regards to the image.....
Can you please provide some details such as image size, screen material and gain, distance between projector lens and screen material.

Thanks,

Benito
Old 03-28-2011, 05:44 PM

The hot spotting on the screen is usually caused by too high a screen gain.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:07 AM

The screen is 100 inch, the rest i will have to measure when i get home tonight.

I bought the screen second hand, so i dont have any info about the screen gain i'm afraid, its a rubbery screen that itself is grey and i cant find any brand name so far on it so it will be difficult to find additional info about the screen.
Old 03-29-2011, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Since this projector is so bright, does it have any sort of manual iris, maybe similar to the JVC's? I usually don't use auto iris's anyway. I turn them off because I always see them "working".
Old 03-29-2011, 02:24 PM

I think it has auto iris yes but i dont think i see it working, the bright spot is always there .
I havent got any measuring tape in the house ,can you believe it, i ll take one home from work tomorow to measure the distance from screen to projector. I think it is about 6 meters so around 300 inches that would be i think, but ill measure it tomorow then ill know for sure.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

Have you guys been happy with this projector? Can any of you lend some light on your calibration settings?

I compared it (again) to the Epson 9700UB and there was still no comparison.

The black levels are slightly better on the 9700, but there is no comparison against the Epson with brightness and clarity of the image. The Sony can match the brightness on the Epson, but it tends to wash out the image (a good comparison is turning on a light). If you decrease the brightness on the Sony it produces a good image , but then you lose the pop of the image and detailed artifacts when comparing directly to the Epson.

For instance I turned on the Black Knight and at the beginning of the movie when the two clowns are in the room and break out the glass the black on their shirts tend to completely gray out and blends together with the black bars. The Epson at this stage produces a lot of detail in their shirts which the Sony is completing lacking.

I tried matching the calibration settings from these two sites:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...alibration.php

http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...or-Review.html
Old 03-30-2011, 08:29 PM

Yep its alittle over 6 meters, i have no way off finding out the screen gain however,that complicates it alittle i'm afraid.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper_Lite View Post
Have you guys been happy with this projector? Can any of you lend some light on your calibration settings?

I compared it (again) to the Epson 9700UB and there was still no comparison.

The black levels are slightly better on the 9700, but there is no comparison against the Epson with brightness and clarity of the image. The Sony can match the brightness on the Epson, but it tends to wash out the image (a good comparison is turning on a light). If you decrease the brightness on the Sony it produces a good image , but then you lose the pop of the image and detailed artifacts when comparing directly to the Epson.

For instance I turned on the Black Knight and at the beginning of the movie when the two clowns are in the room and break out the glass the black on their shirts tend to completely gray out and blends together with the black bars. The Epson at this stage produces a lot of detail in their shirts which the Sony is completing lacking.

I tried matching the calibration settings from these two sites:

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...alibration.php

http://www.avforums.com/review/Sony-...or-Review.html
Well I am still putting hours on the lamp before I cal it but I have to say that I am more than happy with the pic quality of this PJ. I just did some minor adjustments and it really has great color and I find the black levels pretty darn good. I have about 40hrs on the lamp now and I find that colors are popping off the screen and looking fantastic. I am very happy with it.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:37 PM

Liked: 11
Hey TCARIO, really happy to hear that you are satisfied with the projector and like you mentioned....you did get it at a really good price!

benny
Old 03-31-2011, 05:05 PM

I did some searching on the website were i bought the screen and by the description in find there ( it's in dutch sorry bout that ) :

Da-Tex doorzichtdoek: translucente, grijze vinyl; reflectiewaarde 1,8, kijkhoek 30º L/R, gewicht ca. 490 gr/m² en dikte ca. 0,26 mm. Naadloos tot 4,8 meter breedte.(Op bestelling)

... it seems to be a gray vinyl screen with a 1,8 gain, so i'm guessing i need ascreen that is less refelctive then that to get rid of the hot spotting.

The screen i have now is also grey, should i go for a white screen next time or not?
I realy know nothing about screens, and it looks like i spend 450 euro's on a screen now that does not work well with my projector, so i would like to hear wich screens you guys are using in combination with the hw20 that do not have the hot spotting, im in holland doh, so i hope the brands you are using will also be available in the eu aswell, but that is something i will have to search for as soon as i have some brands ;-).

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Old 03-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benito Joaquin View Post

Hey TCARIO, really happy to hear that you are satisfied with the projector and like you mentioned....you did get it at a really good price!

benny

Thanks Benny. Your right for what I paid I could not be happier.....
Old 04-01-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:

It is 13'4'' from lens to screen and it is a cinema white 1.1 gain. I have a dark green cieling and the walls are a dark maple color paneling. I am not being to critical as of yet because I want to wait until it is calibrated after some time on the lamp but so far as I said I love the image. I turned on my Optoma HD72 last night and it's image ,although it has been good enough for me up till now, is no match for the Sony. But that's really not a fair fight as the Optoma is 720p.

I am seriously considering the Sony for my next projector.. I too have a Optoma HD72 and think the picture is pretty good for a 720p entry model.
Is the Sony really that much better? I have a 106 inch Dragonfly high contrast fixed screen that I would be using with it along with a blu-ray player. Its a lot of money for me but everything I have read about the Sony makes me want to get one.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd1 View Post

I am seriously considering the Sony for my next projector.. I too have a Optoma HD72 and think the picture is pretty good for a 720p entry model.
Is the Sony really that much better? I have a 106 inch Dragonfly high contrast fixed screen that I would be using with it along with a blu-ray player. Its a lot of money for me but everything I have read about the Sony makes me want to get one.

I upgraded from the HD72 to the Sony. How much difference you notice will depend a lot on source material. On a blu-ray movie, the difference is significant in my opinion. On live sports, I think I may actually slightly prefer the HD72 due to its ability to handle fast motion. On either, the colors and black level of the Sony make picture pop more than the HD72. I am very happy with the upgrade to the Sony and I loved my HD72.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 AM

Thanks for your personal opinion geometrician on the difference. I have owned the Optoma HD72 for a couple of years now and think the picture is pretty darn good. I might keep it just to watch sporting events and use the Sony for movies. I bought the Blu-Ray player a few months ago and am pretty impressed with the picture with Blu-Ray movies on the Optoma so I cannot wait to get this projector and see what Blu-rays look like in 1080p. Thanks again..
Old 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patd1 View Post
It is absolutley that much better. But you are going from 720p to 1080p so it better be better. I still have my Optoma set up and will use it so I can save on the lamp of the Sony.

Tags
Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector