Official Sony VPL-VWPRO1 (VPL-HW20) Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 377 Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Finally have an Sony VPL-VWPro1, so thought of starting a Owners thread and add settings and questions.

The projector is very similar to VPL-HW15. But VWPro1 comes with an additional box (spare lamp). I will be posting more photos and etc.

Sony VPL-VWPRO1 General Features

Acceptable Computer Signals : fH: 19 to 72kHz, fV : 48 to 92Hz, Maximum resolution 1920x1080 fV 60Hz
Enhanced SXRD Panels : Minimizing the pixel gap from .25 µm to .20 µm, improves brightness and contrast while reducing screen door effect.
Three SXRD 1920 x 1080p : Micro-display panels support Full HD 1080p resolution for an impressive combination of vivid color, film-like image quality, and high-definition brilliance. Enjoy cinematic-quality images.
200W Ultra-High-Pressure Lamp : A 200W Ultra-High-Pressure Lamp delivers natural color with a brightness of 1300 ANSI lumens2.
BRAVIA Engine 2 : BRAVIA Engine 2 fully digital video processor uses a collection of unique Sony algorithms to significantly reduce noise, enhance overall image detail, and optimize contrast so every scene produces sharp, vibrant, life-like images.
Advanced Iris 3 : The Advanced Iris 3 function provides up to a 85,000:1 contrast ratio1 by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce deep black levels with stunning details.
24p True Cinema : 24p True Cinema technology provides a direct connection to 24p video sources so you can avoid conversions and enjoy films at their intended 24 fps (frames per second).
x.v.Color : x.v.Color technology3 takes HD color expression to new levels. When connected to x.v.Color capable video sources, such as select Sony camcorders, the VPL-VWPRO1 can display nearly twice as many (1.8x) viewable colors as the existing RGB color standard, resulting in more natural, life-like images.
Deep Color : By combining a 10-bit processor with 10-bit SXRD panels, the VPL-VWPRO1 can create and display 64 times the level of color expression of 8-bit projectors, resulting in smoother color gradations and helping to avoid a paint-by-numbers look.
ARC-F (All Range Crisp Focus) Lens : A specially developed ARC-F (All Range Crisp Focus) lens takes full advantage of the SXRD panels to deliver Full HD 1080p resolution with superior clarity and focus.
Noise reduction functions : The VPL-VWPRO1 features noise reduction functions that analyze scenes in real time to identify various types of noise and reduce unwanted artifacts, such as mosquito noise and block noise, without compromising the video signal.
Panel Alignment function : A Panel Alignment function enables pixel alignment to within 1/10th of a pixel5, making it possible to shift the entire picture to adjust for color gaps and produce a brighter, clearer, and more detailed picture.
1.6x Zoom Lens : A 1.6x zoom lens provides a short focus distance and takes full advantage of Sony® SXRDTM technology to provide superior resolution and focus.
Adjustable Lens Shift : Adjustable Lens Shift provides vertical and horizontal adjustments of the picture position expanding the projector's placement and installation options without distorting image quality.
Ultra Low Fan Noise 22dB : Exclusive Sony-designed fan delivers efficient cooling and whisper-quiet operation (22dB).
HDMI Inputs x 2 :The VPL-VWPRO1 BRAVIA SXRD 1080p Home Cinema Projector offers two HDMI inputs (up to 1080/60p capable) that deliver uncompressed digital video over one cable (cable sold separately).
Various Analog Inputs : The VPL-VWPRO1 features various analog inputs including YPbPr Component, S-Video, Composite video, and a PC input (D-sub 15-pin) for easy connection to a wide variety of video sources.
RS-232C connectivity : RS-232C connectivity enables operation of the projector using a home theater automation controller.
BRAVIA Sync : BRAVIA Sync gives you one-touch access and control functionality other over BRAVIA Sync compatible equipment using the projector's remote and on-screen display5.
RCP (Real Color Processing) function : RCP (Real Color Processing) function allows adjustment of specific colors on the picture without changing the overall image's color and hue.
Functional Cosmetic Design for Home Theater : The VPL-VWPRO1 features a sophisticated yet functional design, with a dark exterior that coordinates well with home theater environments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 377 Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Reserved for more photos!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #3 of 377 Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 AM

interested to see how the Sony compares to the JVC HD 250. Seems the new Sony is very quiet on this forum, and all the talk is about the JVC.
post #4 of 377 Old 12-22-2010, 03:49 PM

For the newbies out there VWPRO1 is identical to the HW20, it comes with an extra bulb as OP mentioned. It's an upgrade from the HW15.

I had the HS50A/60 and whatever the model was before that. This is a huge improvement. I absolutely love it.

Alas, I have a crappy iphone camera and won't do screenshots any justice.
post #5 of 377 Old 12-22-2010, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Dinomon,

Thanks for the review. How is the contrast and depth perception vis-a-vis any of the JVC's? Anyone want to share?
post #6 of 377 Old 12-23-2010, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Good Sony VPL-HW20 Review by John Archer: http://www.trustedreviews.com/tvs/re...ny-VPL-HW20/p1
Another great review by Joe W. @ CEPro: http://www.cepro.com/article/review_...extra_1000/D2/

And it's bright - you do get the 30% (300 more lumens) increase Sony claims for the VWPRO1 - which is also labeled on the box as a VPL-HW20A.
post #7 of 377 Old 12-23-2010, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Key Feature Comparision: HW15, VW70, VW85 ::

Key Feature Comparision: VW85, VWPro1, VW90ES ::

LL
LL
post #8 of 377 Old 12-24-2010, 11:25 AM

post #9 of 377 Old 12-26-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Here's Art's partial review posted yesterday http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...pro1/index.php
post #10 of 377 Old 12-27-2010, 05:08 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joesyah View Post

Here's Art's partial review posted yesterday http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...pro1/index.php

Very good and explained review of Pro1. Thanks Joesyah.
post #11 of 377 Old 12-27-2010, 07:27 PM

Took the plunge today through AVScience. Should arrive Wed! Was leaning JVC HD250, but supply issues swayed me to the Sony. With free bulb, price is basically a wash. Pros and cons to each, but expect similar performance. Looking forward to getting it up and running this week.
post #12 of 377 Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVEMACHINE View Post
interested to see how the Sony compares to the JVC HD 250. Seems the new Sony is very quiet on this forum, and all the talk is about the JVC.
What he said - wonder if there are any posters that have seen both of these?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #13 of 377 Old 12-28-2010, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post
Took the plunge today through AVScience. Should arrive Wed! Was leaning JVC HD250, but supply issues swayed me to the Sony. With free bulb, price is basically a wash. Pros and cons to each, but expect similar performance. Looking forward to getting it up and running this week.
Post some pics when you get a chance. Also are you ceiling mounting it and what is your screen dimensions/type?

post #14 of 377 Old 12-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Post some pics when you get a chance. Also are you ceiling mounting it and what is your screen dimensions/type?

Yes, will be ceiling mounting it from a roughly 8.5 ft ceiling. Will use a 12 inch drop tube (at least initially) to avoid the extreme end of the lens shift.

Screen is a 110" 16x9 Brilliant White Carada Criterion. Hoping I don't need to move the screen. I had it positioned "just so" for a flush mount of the Optoma HD72 that has an off center lens, considerable offset, and no lens shift at all. (It did have effective vertical adjustment of +/- 24 pixels since it was technically a 1280X768 projector that I used in 16x9 mode). I will probably have to move the projector mount a bit.

Will try to post pictures sometime this week.
post #15 of 377 Old 12-29-2010, 09:11 PM

So, would post pics, but cannot get the Projector to accept any signal from my Pioneer elite a/v receiver. Admittedly, I am trying to use a DVI cable with HDMI adapters - worked with the optoma. Hooking up direct to PS3 via HDMI works fine, so I know the PJ functions. Any suggestions out there? I really want to use the in wall DVI feed.
post #16 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 02:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Can you test the DVI>HDMI feed direct instead of going through the receiver?

post #17 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 06:29 AM

Tested DVI cable direct to projector from PS3 - still no signal. Can anyone confirm whether the Sony can accept an HDMI signal over DVI cable? If so, am I missing some critical setting? Very frustrated...
post #18 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

It sounds like it could be an EDID issue. I had this problem with my HTPC and my Mits projector. There are some products out that will correct this. What type of connector are you using (DVI>HDMI cable, adaptor, etc.).

post #19 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Using a DVI-D cable with a DVI (female) to HDMI (male) adapter on each end.
post #20 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM
SFP

geometrician -

I know you are frustrated with your cable issue, but I have this projector on my short list and I'm interested to hear your initial thoughts on the picture quality.
post #21 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFP View Post

geometrician -

I know you are frustrated with your cable issue, but I have this projector on my short list and I'm interested to hear your initial thoughts on the picture quality.

Will definitely address this when I solve the cable issue. Have not played with the actual picture enough to have a meaningful impression of PQ yet. Can tell that it has an overall good picture, but how good will have to wait until I get to spend some time watching rather than troubleshooting.
post #22 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Officially giving up...
post #23 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by geometrician View Post

Officially giving up...

Giving up on the PJ or giving up on the HDMI adapter->DVI Cable->HDMI adapter?

I'm new to all of this, is there a reason you aren't using just a straight HDMI cable?

Edit, Nevermind, I just saw you wanted to use the inwall DVI. Can you use the DVI to fish through an HDMI?
post #24 of 377 Old 12-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bester View Post

Giving up on the PJ or giving up on the HDMI adapter->DVI Cable->HDMI adapter?

I'm new to all of this, is there a reason you aren't using just a straight HDMI cable?

Edit, Nevermind, I just saw you wanted to use the inwall DVI. Can you use the DVI to fish through an HDMI?

Giving up on the PJ. Can't get it to display component over my in wall wiring either. Both DVI and component worked with the last PJ. This one just seems finicky.
post #25 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 04:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Have you communicated with AVS concerning your issues? It seems like something is not set in the settings of the projector itself.

post #26 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright
Have you communicated with AVS concerning your issues? It seems like something is not set in the settings of the projector itself.
I talked briefly to Jason about it yesterday morning. The only thing we could come up with is bad adapter, but I have now tried 5 of them, and they all work with other equipment. Have played around with all of the settings that seem like they might have an impact. Bottom line...I get a picture easily with a 6 ft hdmi direct from ps3, but cannot get a signal over the roughly 20 foot long cables in the wall. Considering the Optoma had no issues with this, I can't come up with anything other than finicky projector (whether this model in general or just this unit, not sure) unless someone has another theory.
post #27 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Then this one may come off of my list then. I have two 25' HDMI cables run. Being you tried 5 adapters then it may be the length of the cable. Maybe another owner will eventually chime in.

post #28 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Then this one may come off of my list then. I have two 25' HDMI cables run. Being you tried 5 adapters then it may be the length of the cable. Maybe another owner will eventually chime in.

I think Geometrician is using component, not HDMI so I'd suspect you'll be okay.
post #29 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:

Then this one may come off of my list then. I have two 25' HDMI cables run. Maybe another owner will eventually chime in.

I have a 20' high speed HDMI in wall cable from monoprice I paid $20.08 for. It goes to my receiver and then feeds the projector. It works perfectly. I even have it connected to a 3' HDMI extension cable.

No idea if it's finicky or what, but everything works beautifully for me.
post #30 of 377 Old 12-31-2010, 11:14 AM

I think there may be a defect with the input on my unit. Jason agrees. It's going back. For what it's worth, when I use the short HDMI cable, the picture is excellent. Fill rate on the pixels is very high. Colors really pop. Not sure what's going on, but the pic is good enough that I think it's worth another shot with this PJ.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page