3D projectors with Nvidia Graphics card issue -Alternate HTPC ideas inside - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 260 Old 01-03-2011, 11:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 278
I tried PowerDVD10 tonight, version 2113 (not the latest update that came out recently) and was able to play back 3DBD with HD audio.

I ran through a number of 3D BD's and they all played fine in TMT5 and PDVD10 with HD audio, no skipping, etc. Quick audio recovery after chapter skips, etc.

Both apps will jump from 1080p 60hz -> 24hz -> 24hz (FP) and then back again without an issue. The dongle is still attached, I'll try it again without it being connected. The JVC emitter is working with the Xpand 103 glasses, no issues there either.

This is the ideal setup since I didn't want to upgrade my Pioneer SC-07 just to handle HDMI 1.4. ++ thumbs up to whoever fixed the drivers at Nvidia, this is a good start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well as stated in another post I am having the sync issues with new drivers when changing from 1080p60 to 1080p24. I have to switch inputs to get video.

also mine will not play a mkv in 1080p24 through mpc-hc with out going to FP mode unless i uncheck the 3d vision enable box in the control panel but then i get no 1080p24FP.

So i am still SOL. back to ati
post #63 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is an official beta driver out now from Nvidia - newer than the 263.14 from Gainward.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/win7-...driver-uk.html

I will try this after I image the machine's HD.
post #64 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 11:08 AM

Ill check this one tonight. Did you get a chance to try with out the dongle?
post #65 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 View Post

Ill check this one tonight. Did you get a chance to try with out the dongle?

I'll definitely get to it tonight, I wanted to first make sure that PowerDVD10 was working with 3D playback + HD audio as well before I changed anything.

I know you are having the issue running through the AVR, maybe a quick test to see if it works ok direct like I have it setup? Maybe the newer drivers will help going through the AVR.

Direct connection, I can bounced from any frequency without an issue.
post #66 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I am just using a generic DVI -> HDMI converter, I didn't have to set any specific EDID info for the receiver.

If you right click on the volume control and click playback devices, does it say NVidia HD audio? try to right click on it and configure. By default it's on 2 channel stereo, try one of the other settings like 7.1, etc and see if you get any output.

btw, this split video / audio setup worked fine for the last 2 months on my Pioneer SC-07 / Acer 5360 3D DLP setup with the older drivers from October. It was the driver sync issue that prevented this from working with the JVC.

Thank you for your reply. I think I tried everything but still no go. Yes, it does say Nvidia HD audio for my receiver. I tried DVI to hdmi projector and hdmi for receiver. I also switched that and tried hdmi to project and dvi/hdmi to receiver. My setup is below....if anyone has this working, please let me know. Net net, I'll probably just buy the new onkyo 1.4a receiver.

Windows 7 32bit
Nvida 460 with 260.99, also tried 263.14
Onkyo TX-NR805
PowerDVD 10 Mark latest version
Project Optoma GT720 (sorry, I know this is for the RS40....I do plan on buying it thus I'm on this board)
post #67 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachuka View Post

Thank you for your reply. I think I tried everything but still no go. Yes, it does say Nvidia HD audio for my receiver. I tried DVI to hdmi projector and hdmi for receiver. I also switched that and tried hdmi to project and dvi/hdmi to receiver. My setup is below....if anyone has this working, please let me know. Net net, I'll probably just buy the new onkyo 1.4a receiver.

Windows 7 32bit
Nvida 460 with 260.99, also tried 263.14
Onkyo TX-NR805
PowerDVD 10 Mark latest version
Project Optoma GT720 (sorry, I know this is for the RS40....I do plan on buying it thus I'm on this board)

This is a pretty basic setup, you should be able to at least get windows sounds through the DVI port without a problem. if you adjust the sound control panel, you don't hear anything at all through the AVR? (simple windows notifications, etc)
post #68 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:

This is a pretty basic setup, you should be able to at least get windows sounds through the DVI port without a problem. if you adjust the sound control panel, you don't hear anything at all through the AVR? (simple windows notifications, etc)

I agree but I spent about 4 hours doing this and no go. I think its my receiver. The windows setup is right and I get all the right things to display (non-decode via Powerdvd) but just no sound to the receiver. I'm ok with buying a new receiver. If I sell my old one, the new one wont cost too much.

I do have a separate question seeking advice. I plan on buying the RS40 but my current setup is via Nvidia emitter and nvidia glasses. Is it better to buy the RS40 emitter and glasses or stick with the nvidia glasses and emitter? Is there a quality difference? I mainly watch 3D bluray's via HTPC but I am concerned that for comcast digital box, direct TV or dish I would have a problem using my Nvidia glasses and emitter?

Any suggestions?
post #69 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 05:31 PM

Quote:

I'll definitely get to it tonight, I wanted to first make sure that PowerDVD10 was working with 3D playback + HD audio as well before I changed anything.

I know you are having the issue running through the AVR, maybe a quick test to see if it works ok direct like I have it setup? Maybe the newer drivers will help going through the AVR.

Direct connection, I can bounced from any frequency without an issue.

I did try straight to the projector with no luck. Like I said I will try the new drivers tonight
post #70 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 07:22 PM
ctn

Quote:

I agree but I spent about 4 hours doing this and no go. I think its my receiver. The windows setup is right and I get all the right things to display (non-decode via Powerdvd) but just no sound to the receiver. I'm ok with buying a new receiver. If I sell my old one, the new one wont cost too much...
Any suggestions?

I had the no sound problem a while back with the acer, gtx460, and denon 3311CI (1.4a avr). I found that if I set windows 7 64 bit to display on BOTH monitors (the acer and the AVR!!!! - under the windows resolution tab) then I got sound. I have pc dvi-hdmi to the acer and pc hdmi-hdmi to the AVR.
post #71 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I do have a separate question seeking advice. I plan on buying the RS40 but my current setup is via Nvidia emitter and nvidia glasses. Is it better to buy the RS40 emitter and glasses or stick with the nvidia glasses and emitter? Is there a quality difference? I mainly watch 3D bluray's via HTPC but I am concerned that for comcast digital box, direct TV or dish I would have a problem using my Nvidia glasses and emitter?

Any suggestions?

As far as I can tell, the Nvidia glasses / emitter will only work with the 120hz monitors / Projectors like the Acer 5360. When I have the RS40 connected to the 430GT, the Nvidia glasses don't work. The JVC emitter takes over and works with the Expand 103 glasses.

don't get rid of the Nvidia emitter yet, I am not 100% sure that you won't need it. Right now I have everything working exactly as I wanted, but I haven't verified it will work without the Nvidia IR dongle attached. I will check this later tonight, my system is in parts right now trying to clean up the area where it's located.
post #72 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 PM

Zombie,

Still no go with the new beta drivers.

I still have sync issues changing from 1080p60 to 1080p24fp. Also i am still unable to get plain old 1080p24 without FP.

Im going back to ati where everthing just works. I really like the thought of the little card but untill they get there stuff together it is not worth it yet.

You must have some magic dust you sprinkled on that system.
post #73 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 View Post

Zombie,

Still no go with the new beta drivers.

I still have sync issues changing from 1080p60 to 1080p24fp. Also i am still unable to get plain old 1080p24 without FP.

Im going back to ati where everthing just works. I really like the thought of the little card but untill they get there stuff together it is not worth it yet.

You must have some magic dust you sprinkled on that system.

i'm not getting rid of the ATI just yet.

Tonight I had an extra HD with Win7 64bit configured for my HTPC. I installed the gainward drivers and PDVD 10 version 2113. It will jump from any frequency, similar to the 32bit setup.

I am moving the 430GT to a shuttle SFF box and rebuilding with Win7 32bit from scratch, so I'll try it all again from a fresh build to see how it works.
post #74 of 260 Old 01-04-2011, 11:43 PM

any luck trying with out the dongle yet? I would have tried mine but like i said it is at CES. Also it looks like nvidia finaly released the 3DTV Play Software for sale.
post #75 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctn View Post

I had the no sound problem a while back with the acer, gtx460, and denon 3311CI (1.4a avr). I found that if I set windows 7 64 bit to display on BOTH monitors (the acer and the AVR!!!! - under the windows resolution tab) then I got sound. I have pc dvi-hdmi to the acer and pc hdmi-hdmi to the AVR.

Thank you. I will try this and report back. I tried the monitors as extenders like what another avs forum recommended. Too late for that tonight
post #76 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Quote:

As far as I can tell, the Nvidia glasses / emitter will only work with the 120hz monitors / Projectors like the Acer 5360. When I have the RS40 connected to the 430GT, the Nvidia glasses don't work. The JVC emitter takes over and works with the Expand 103 glasses.

don't get rid of the Nvidia emitter yet, I am not 100% sure that you won't need it. Right now I have everything working exactly as I wanted, but I haven't verified it will work without the Nvidia IR dongle attached. I will check this later tonight, my system is in parts right now trying to clean up the area where it's located.

Thanks. I will get my RS40 this friday and will test it with the nvidia emitter and glasses. I have 12 nvidia glasses and love the 3d blurays on my optoma gt720. Hate to have to buy a new set of glasses for the rs40. I also ordered one emitter and one set of glasses for the rs40 just in case. Question, do you have to plug the rs40's emitter to the projector? My hope is no and I can just use the nvidia emitter and glasses connected to the htpc.
post #77 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 12:54 AM

Quote:

I just noticed you have a 1.4 receiver. Why wouldn't you just go hmdi from pc to receiver and hmdi from receiver to projector. I thought this workaround was only for those with 1.3 receivers?
post #78 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 09:09 AM

Quote:

Just to be clear on one thing: You dont need to activate stereoscopic 3D in the Nvidia control panel for successful 3D-bluray playback in PDVD10 or TMT5? If the answer is no, i guess (im pretty sure) it will work without the nvidia emitter/glasses aswell.
post #79 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 10:12 AM

Yea!!!
I finally have success after a week and a half of fooling around!
I wasn't sure if I installed the Nvidia 263.14 driver successfully or not (PC Nooby here... I am a Mac Guy). So this morning I used add/remove programs to uninstall every NVidia program I could find. I next restarted the computer. Then I downloaded the NVidia 265.35 Beta Driver that was just released on the NVidia site. I Installed it, and restarted again. I then went to the NVidia control panel and went thru the NVision setup. It had me test my JVC Projector, JVC 3D glasses, JVC Emitter and everything passed the 3D tests. (I do not have Nvision glasses or emitter) I next enabled the 3D stereoscopic radio button in the nvidia control panel. I next started up Media Center and went to MyMovies Plugin and selected a 3d movie that mounted onto my VirtualClone F Drive. It played the movie in 108024FP without having to switch inputs. It was always not syncing thru my Marantz Preamp AV7005 with the prior NVidia drivers. This new Beta driver seems to have fixed all my problems. I did have to enable the Hardware acceleration checkbox in TotalMedia5 settings to get regular dvd's to playback correctly. Without it on it looked like it was trying to play them back in 3d.
My setup is Windows7Ultimate, EVGA NVidia GTS450 Video card, Media Center along with MyMovies and TotalMedia5.
I hope this helps some of you as I know I sure struggled to get every working!
Jeff
post #80 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Ok, I gave this another shot and here are my findings. I can only get audio from the receiver with HDMI to Projector and DVI/hdmi to receiver. However, the audio is choppy as if the receiver is getting a weak signal. HD audion will play but it will cut in and out. I tried two DVI/hdmi cables and same problem. My guess at this point is:

1) It's the receiver
2) Maybe the graphics card
3) PDVD 10 problem....could try TMT5
4) Maybe me

I think I'd rather spend the money on a new receiver that is 1.4a. I'm looking at getting the onkyo TX-NR808 unless someone tells me otherwise

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
post #81 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
I think I'd rather spend the money on a new receiver that is 1.4a. I'm looking at getting the onkyo TX-NR808 unless someone tells me otherwise

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i
I'm sure that as soon as I've posted this, someone will tell you exactly the opposite, but I tested both the Onkyo nr808 and the denon 3311, and I was underwhelmed by the nr808, especially from a musicality point of view. Both were auditioned in the same room, with the same equipment, after full Audissey calibration. I kept the Denon 3311, mostly because it sounded miles better, both with movies and CDs. If you can't audition both with your own kit and in your own room, at least try to listen to them in a demo. I was really surprised by the difference.
Plus I had lots of HDMI sync problems with the Onkyo, and none with the Denon.
YMMV, it's highly subjective, etc, etc...
post #82 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm beginning to get the urge to upgrade to RS40, but besides 3D BD, I'd like it to work for PC games as well (I'm hooked on StarCraft II). Could someone enlighten me, does all this good news mean that RS40 + JVC or Xpand glasses will work in PC games as well?
post #83 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 117
While I wait for my RS40 to get here, I'm trying to get my sister's Mitsubishi DLP rear projector working with PowerDVD 10. I think I may have run into the driver problem that's been brought up before. I installed a Radeon 5670 video card, and enabled 3D playback in PDVD10 for a 3D HDTV. It outputs checkerboard, but I can't get PowerDVD to enable Hardware Acceleration during 3D Blu-ray playback (iso files). Using the Configuration button while the movie is stopped, I can enable HA, but as soon as the movie starts playing, the button becomes unselected and is grayed out. It's an AMD dual core, 3GHz computer, and the CPU alone can't come close to keeping up. It's stutter city. The 3D effect is really good, with DLP Link glasses, so the only problem to be solved is HA.

I installed the current 10.12 driver. I didn't think that outputting checkerboard required installing the 10.10e driver with hotfix, but I suppose it does. Either that, or I'm missing something to be able to use HA. Anyway, I found the 10.10e hotfix. If I install it over 10.12, will it enable HA? Or is there a newer beta driver that will do the same thing? (I think Jon posted the procedure, but I can't seem to locate it now.)

Joe Clark

post #84 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdad View Post

Yea!!!
I finally have success after a week and a half of fooling around!
I wasn't sure if I installed the Nvidia 263.14 driver successfully or not (PC Nooby here... I am a Mac Guy). So this morning I used add/remove programs to uninstall every NVidia program I could find. I next restarted the computer. Then I downloaded the NVidia 265.35 Beta Driver that was just released on the NVidia site. I Installed it, and restarted again. I then went to the NVidia control panel and went thru the NVision setup. It had me test my JVC Projector, JVC 3D glasses, JVC Emitter and everything passed the 3D tests. (I do not have Nvision glasses or emitter) I next enabled the 3D stereoscopic radio button in the nvidia control panel. I next started up Media Center and went to MyMovies Plugin and selected a 3d movie that mounted onto my VirtualClone F Drive. It played the movie in 108024FP without having to switch inputs. It was always not syncing thru my Marantz Preamp AV7005 with the prior NVidia drivers. This new Beta driver seems to have fixed all my problems. I did have to enable the Hardware acceleration checkbox in TotalMedia5 settings to get regular dvd's to playback correctly. Without it on it looked like it was trying to play them back in 3d.
My setup is Windows7Ultimate, EVGA NVidia GTS450 Video card, Media Center along with MyMovies and TotalMedia5.
I hope this helps some of you as I know I sure struggled to get every working!
Jeff

great news that it's working with your setup.

Can you or Joe Clark give a rundown on how you guys are using My Movies with either TMT5 or PDVD10? What limitations are there?

I currently use a popcorn hour C200 for my 2D content, mainly MKV's and M2TS rips from my BD collection. I want to get away from the PCH C200 completely (the firmware has been bug ridden since it's release) and go exclusively with the MCE7 system.

I'd like to play MKV's, M2TS and of course BD iso (2d & 3d). Can My movies handle linking these formats to either PDVD10 or TMT5? I'm looking for any possible caveats that you guys have run into.

thanks!
post #85 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 02:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Can you or Joe Clark give a rundown on how you guys are using My Movies with either TMT5 or PDVD10? What limitations are there?

I currently use a popcorn hour C200 for my 2D content, mainly MKV's and M2TS rips from my BD collection. I want to get away from the PCH C200 completely (the firmware has been bug ridden since it's release) and go exclusively with the MCE7 system.

I'd like to play MKV's, M2TS and of course BD iso (2d & 3d). Can My movies handle linking these formats to either PDVD10 or TMT5? I'm looking for any possible caveats that you guys have run into.

thanks!

I MCE7 with MyMovies, but not with MKVs or M2TS files. I don't know how it would handle such files. It's a MCE7 plug-in. It allows you to specify an iso file location, connected to your system (on an internal hard drive, USB hard drive, anywhere on your network). If you don't supply a file name, it assumes it's an external disc and asks you to insert it.

You can either let MyMovies' Collection Manager locate data for the disc when you insert it into a drive, or you can search for the disc info manually. MyMovies grabs movie, actor, director, etc., info from its database and builds a slick MCE GUI from which you can select and launch the iso's. I like it a lot. The only serious gotcha for me has been the infernal PC/Video levels bug, with the wrong level sometimes being selected for playback (and thus improper video levels causing washed out images). It's a Windows issue, not MyMovies.

Joe Clark

post #86 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post

I'm sure that as soon as I've posted this, someone will tell you exactly the opposite, but I tested both the Onkyo nr808 and the denon 3311, and I was underwhelmed by the nr808, especially from a musicality point of view. Both were auditioned in the same room, with the same equipment, after full Audissey calibration. I kept the Denon 3311, mostly because it sounded miles better, both with movies and CDs. If you can't audition both with your own kit and in your own room, at least try to listen to them in a demo. I was really surprised by the difference.
Plus I had lots of HDMI sync problems with the Onkyo, and none with the Denon.
YMMV, it's highly subjective, etc, etc...

Thank you for your input. I've been using a Onkyo TX-SR805 and have been quite pleased with it. My assumption and after reading some reviews, that the TX-NR808 would be a slight improvement. I have not noticed any hdmi sync problems with the 805. I will check out the Denon 3311 before I purchase.
post #87 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Clark View Post

I MCE7 with MyMovies, but not with MKVs or M2TS files. I don't know how it would handle such files. It's a MCE7 plug-in. It allows you to specify an iso file location, connected to your system (on an internal hard drive, USB hard drive, anywhere on your network). If you don't supply a file name, it assumes it's an external disc and asks you to insert it.

You can either let MyMovies' Collection Manager locate data for the disc when you insert it into a drive, or you can search for the disc info manually. MyMovies grabs movie, actor, director, etc., info from its database and builds a slick MCE GUI from which you can select and launch the iso's. I like it a lot. The only serious gotcha for me has been the infernal PC/Video levels bug, with the wrong level sometimes being selected for playback (and thus improper video levels causing washed out images). It's a Windows issue, not MyMovies.

ouch I think I recall discussing this a while back in the HTPC thread. I thought since you can run either TMT5 or PDVD10 in standalone mode and access these files (MKV and M2TS) there would be a way with my movies to see these as well and just play them through either 3rd party product.

The Popcorn C200 handles MKV's well, M2TS so-so (couldn't get HD audio until a year+ long wait), but runs into issues here and there with BD ISO's. They made the mistake of using a brand new Sigma chip which has had an eternity of issues with their SDK. It's not too bad to use now, but would like to consolidate down to 1 machine for all media if possible.
post #88 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 03:37 PM

Quote:

thanks!

I've been using mymovies for years and would give my vote to that tool. It can handle DVD ISO and BD ISO's (2D and 3D) very nicely, both with TMT and PDVD. It's easy to use....maybe a little pain to setup. My wife loves it. Looks nice and has easy categories, etc.

As for playing other files, I'm pretty sure it can. I havent tried it but I'm positive that mymovies looks for the largest file in your folder and attempts to play it. So if it's a MKV and the largest file in the folder and you have the right codecs to play it in MCE7, it should just play the file and let you choose windows media center player or PDVD or TMT (depending on what you have installed).
post #89 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 105
FYI Arcsoft has released today a 5.0.1.86 update to TMT5 that fixes various bugs and is compatible with AMD drivers 11.10 and 12.10.

That's good timing as my 3D emitter should be with me tomorrow.
post #90 of 260 Old 01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I've been using mymovies for years and would give my vote to that tool. It can handle DVD ISO and BD ISO's (2D and 3D) very nicely, both with TMT and PDVD. It's easy to use....maybe a little pain to setup. My wife loves it. Looks nice and has easy categories, etc.

As for playing other files, I'm pretty sure it can. I havent tried it but I'm positive that mymovies looks for the largest file in your folder and attempts to play it. So if it's a MKV and the largest file in the folder and you have the right codecs to play it in MCE7, it should just play the file and let you choose windows media center player or PDVD or TMT (depending on what you have installed).

I haven't upgraded lately, but the last versions couldn't handle DVD iso's in PowerDVD, although I read that it handles them in TMT. DVD folders were supposed to work in PDVD. I'm getting TMT, but I have no experience with it yet.

Joe Clark

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page