AVS Forum banner

3D projectors with Nvidia Graphics card issue -Alternate HTPC ideas inside

36K views 259 replies 43 participants last post by  achilleas8095 
#1 ·
Edit 1/5/2011

It appears a moderator changed the title to include the Sony projector although I'm not sure how the Nvidia issue pertains to the Sony projector, I don't want anyone being misled by the title. I have asked one of the moderators why it was changed and to please fix it.

Several others have had varied success with the latest drivers, it looks like there is some progress being made. I installed a clean Win7 64bit setup and TMT5 and PDVD10 are working just the same as in the 32bit setup. I can get either app to change frequency from 60hz to 24 -> 24(FP) and back to 60hz. This is with the HDMI->VIDEO and DVI->AVR.

Another member had a positive experience with the Nvidia 450 card.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19768530

Please continue to post your experience / issues with your current setup and be sure to provide as much detail about the setup as possible. thanks!

Edit: 1/4/2011

With the same gainward drivers, I also have PowerDVD10 (2113) workiing with 3D bluray and HD audio with no issues, I ran through 1/2 dozen or so 3D BD's and all played smooth in TMT5 and PDVD10.

This setup is with split video / audio

(Video HDMI -> projector)

(Audio DVI-HDMI -> Pioneer SC-07 1.3 AVR)

I understand at least 1 member is having an issue with the new drivers going through a 1.4 AVR. If anyone else has success with split mode and the new drivers, please post your experience.

I still have the Nvidia Dongle attached at this point even though I am using the JVC RS40 emitter / Xpand 103 glasses for 3D viewing. I will try to remove this as requested by a number of members to see if it's still working.

Video modes will switch from 1080p 60hz ->24hz -> 24 (FP) JVC 3D bluray frame packed mode and then back to 60hz if necessary.

edit: 1/3/2011

Gainward has posted a new driver that allowed me to sync the RS40 with the Nvidia GT430 Card. I am currently testing, but have it running in 60hz, 24 hz and 24 hz (FP) for 3D mode with HD audio. This is with splitting the Video over HDMI and audio over DVI to the 1.3 AVR.

http://www.gainward.com/main/download.php?vgapro=395

details after more testing

** The JVC RS40/50/60 has an issue with all Nvidia graphics cards from the 4x and 5x series. If you directly connect the graphics card to the JVC, the projector will think the resolution is 2880x1080 and will not sync. **

This information has been reported to Gary B in the UK, but there is no further information if this can/will be resolved in a firmware update. There has been an ongoing discussion the RS40 thread with a number of members trying different ATI solutions.

some of the current options:
  • run the nvidia card through a 1.4 capable AVR. Please post if you've had success with this setup, which AVR you are using, etc.

• ATI 5450 - This is kind of working - I can get 3D BD playback via TMT5 and Powerdvd10 but not HD audio. The HD audio will drop out from time to time. This is surprising this card is working at all since it wasn't supposed to support 3D BD.

• ATI 6850 / 6870 - Different reports on varying success with this card. Petri had some issues and couldn't get it working on his X7. This might have changed since 10.12 came out.

Please use this thread to discuss any solutions that are working including software, drivers, AVR setup, etc. thanks!

See less See more
#177 ·
If one is using an HDMI1.4 TV with its own glasses/emitter, is there a difference in the 3D Bluray playback quality of ATI/AMD vs. Nvidia?

I have a 5770 and had serious crosstalk problems so I bought an Nvidia 450 card because everyone says Nvidia is better for 3D. The Nvidia card did not fix my crosstalk issues during BD playback, and the subjective 2D PQ vs. ATI seems worse somehow. I can't judge the Bluray 3D PQ because of the severe crosstalk/ghosting I am experiencing with both cards.

At this point, if i had to choose a card for just bluray playback on a 3D TV using TMT5, i would probably pick AMD, because it seems less glitchy and its easier. The fullscreen 3D mode starts automatically when you play a 3D Bluray, and returns to normal 2D mode when you're done watching or exit fullscreen. With the Nvidia card you have to use the Nvidia driver control panel to switch the entire desktop into 3D mode, making the desktop look weird and low-res, then open the software BD player and start the movie. AMD's solution may have less features, but it just works.

Now if only I could fix that crosstalk issue... I wonder why nobody else is complaining about it with their RS40. I hope mine isn't defective and have abnormally "slow reacting" pixels or something. Does placement of the emitter make a difference for ghosting/crosstalk?

#178 ·
No apparent ghosting on my X3 (Rs-40). I am using a Nvidia 430.

I also saw no ghosting on my friend's X9 with his ATI 6XXX card.

The only Nvidia problem so far is that it only locks at 24p when in 3D mode and not 23.976.

#180 ·
We both have the projectors on a ceiling base and the emitter on top of the projector.

Distance around 4-4,5 meters. No problem whatsoever with the JVC glasses.

#181 ·
well after 2 weeks of going back and forth through nvidia support system and one phone call today the GT430 is now going to be used for taget practice!

According to nvidia the reason i have sync issues with the denon is because the JVC rs40 is not supported. Even though it works directly plugged into the projector. they will not help you unless every device in the link is listed on there website.

I tried explaining to them three times and the pretty much the response was oh well. So i proceeded to tell them where they could put that card and told them to get there "stuff" together.

no wonder ati is walking all over them.

I cant stand script readers that think they know more then you. In the 10+ years i have been in a testing lab i have found so many bugs and driver issues with both ATI & Nvidia it is not funny.

oh well back to ati.

#182 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20016066

well after 2 weeks of going back and forth through nvidia support system and one phone call today the GT430 is now going to be used for taget practice!

Hi, I wanted to ask a while back, can you sync through all 3 frequencies on the ATI card? The Nvidia will go back and forth between 60hz and 24hz (FP) if I have 3D mode enabled in the Nvidia drivers. I haven't found a way to get it to go straight 24hz without disabling the 3D mode.

This is a buzzkill for watching regular 2D BD content on the HTPC without cycling through the 3D modes which isn't viable. Can the ATI handle all 3 without issue?

if you say yes, I'll find a large enough case/mobo to hold this 6850 I still have. In the meantime, I am switching to my Popcorn Hour C200 for 2D content and using the HTPC for 3D BD and 60hz TV viewing (I have the Ceton Quad tuner for MCE7). It would be nice to use the HTPC for all viewing.

#183 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k /forum/post/20016643

Hi, I wanted to ask a while back, can you sync through all 3 frequencies on the ATI card? The Nvidia will go back and forth between 60hz and 24hz (FP) if I have 3D mode enabled in the Nvidia drivers. I haven't found a way to get it to go straight 24hz without disabling the 3D mode.

This is a buzzkill for watching regular 2D BD content on the HTPC without cycling through the 3D modes which isn't viable. Can the ATI handle all 3 without issue?

if you say yes, I'll find a large enough case/mobo to hold this 6850 I still have. In the meantime, I am switching to my Popcorn Hour C200 for 2D content and using the HTPC for 3D BD and 60hz TV viewing (I have the Ceton Quad tuner for MCE7). It would be nice to use the HTPC for all viewing.

The way you switch to 24(FP) with ATI is different. It automatically switches to 24(FP) in full screen when you start a 3D BD in your software player. If you stop the movie or exit full screen for whatever reason, it goes back to your previous 2D setting (which can be 23.976hz or 60hz or whatever your desktop is set to). I have no experience with the 3rd party 3D drivers that enable you to turn the desktop into 3D with ATI cards, but for just 3D BD playback, it seems ATI/AMD is "cleaner" and more convenient because you dont have to open the driver and mess with things every time you want to watch a 3dBD.

#184 ·
Zombie,

So far i have not had any troubles changing between the resolutions but i must warn that i keep my desktop at 24hz because it is just easier since almost everthing i watch is 24hz.

the last post is correct about the software changes the resolution for 3D only, In my case that would be TMT5.

The only problem i have seen is when playing mkv's with media player classic HC i would get tearing on the bottom 3 iches of the screen. Which is not visible unless you are watching a 1.85:1 movie.

I have yet to try with the latest ATI 11.2 drivers though.

#185 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20018710

The only problem i have seen is when playing mkv's with media player classic HC i would get tearing on the bottom 3 iches of the screen.

For MPC playback, have you tried using the madVR renderer ? Solves many issues for a lot of people, and improves PQ. I believe it also ensures full software decoding without any of the tricks that are built into the video card drivers like dynamic contrast and such (which could be the cause of your tearing)

#186 ·
Hi

I have just received my X3 and im running my HTPC with GT430 (Latest Drivers) through a Yamaha RX767 hdmi1.4 receiver (1.4 cables). I am having some issues and wondered if you found a solution?

I cant get my projector to accept 1080/50 or 60hz either through my receiver or directly, only 24hz works. All I get is a coloured mess or black/blue screen. When trying to enable 3D Vision I lose picture and cannot go through the wizard. Does this sound right?

Also 2D issues:

2D TMT3 picture smooth 24hz but no HD audio.

2D TMT5 some disks dont get past loading screens, pic smooth when working and full HD audio.

2D Powerdvd 10 Mark II Jittery picture every 10 seconds no HD audio.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

#187 ·
Hello all I am currently in the processes of buliding a home theater I am also building a htpc for movie and music storage. I wanted to know what would be the best video card for my setup: Rs 50---Onkyo 5008----Htpc...I was going to buy the gt 430 but have heard about the sync issues its having are there any video cards that work going thru avr 1.4a to RS 50

Thank you

#188 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noshandy /forum/post/20024850

Hi

When trying to enable 3D Vision I lose picture and cannot go through the wizard. Does this sound right?

Also 2D issues:

2D TMT3 picture smooth 24hz but no HD audio.

2D TMT5 some disks dont get past loading screens, pic smooth when working and full HD audio.

Andy

the 3d vision going black seems to be a driver issue and i tried working on it with nvidia but they do not care right now. Until the JVC rs40 goes up as a aproved 3d device you will probably get the smae response i did which was "we cant help you because the RS40 is not supported"

TMT3: make sure you have the hotfixes installed for the nvidia hd audio. I am not sure if this is rolled into the latest update. if not they can be found in the TMT3 forums.

TMT5: I have never had an issue. all i can say is make sure you have the latest updates

#190 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/0

ballers34,

If it were me i would currently go with a ATI 6850. it is not a small/low profile card but it is not huge by any means.

untill nvidia gets there head out of there you know what, the ati is really the only option that just works!

Thank you for your help so the ati 6850 works with the onkyo to rs 50 with no issues?

#191 ·
i can not gaurantee that it will work in that config as i do not have a onkyo 55xx. The clicks drove me nuts!

but the ATI 6850 is working with my denon 4311 to rs40.

If you have store with a good return policy like a fry's or best buy i would go pick one up from there and if it does not work return it.

I am lucky as i have access to almost every production card and some non production cards to try before i buy. I am still working on my tearing issue with MPC-HC.

#192 ·
Running the v266.58.

I watched my first 3D movie last night. After enabling 3D support in the NV CP, I got "3D HD" resolutions section in the resolutions pane in the CP. The two options are 1080p 23/24 or 720p 50/60.

In this state, under the normal HD resolutions, I could now only select 50/60Hz for the available 1080p resolutions. You go to "Customize Resolutions" and 23Hz is available and checked (I added it before) but not available to actually use.

The problem with this is that using the 3D HD modes to get 23/24Hz results in a frame-packed mode which seems to result in the inferior PQ with some occasional stutter when the RS40 is not in 3D mode and using MPC-HC. So I had to disable 3D mode to get my normal resolutions available without FP.

Am I missing something there? Should that be easier?

#193 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 /forum/post/20042288

The problem with this is that using the 3D HD modes to get 23/24Hz results in a frame-packed mode which seems to result in the inferior PQ with some occasional stutter when the RS40 is not in 3D mode and using MPC-HC. So I had to disable 3D mode to get my normal resolutions available without FP.

Am I missing something there? Should that be easier?

yes it should be easier, and is the real obstacle to using the card for 2D 24P playback.

My HTPC is used for 3D BD playback and 1080p 60hz viewing TV through MCE7 and the Ceton quad tuner card. This works fine going back and forth between regular 60hz and 24(FP) for 3D playback.

If I want to watch 2D BD in just 24p mode, I have to disable the Nvidia 3D. I created shortcut on the desktop to disable / enable it, but it's a pain and takes the automation of using the HTPC for TV / Movies. Right now I swap over to my Popcorn Hour C200 for 2D BD and use the HTPC for HDTV and 3D BD viewing.

Nvidia could probably fix this so the desktop doesn't go into 24(FP) mode without a 3D signal coming from the player (powerdvd or TMT5).

#194 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20027128

but the ATI 6850 is working with my denon 4311 to rs40.

I have a ATI 6850, Denon 4311 and JVC X3. Since applying the latest Denon firmware update to fix the blue rain issue (which I didn't have) I can't get the combo to pass 1080p 24fp. TMT 5 latest outputs 720p 60fp and then craps out later and Powerdvd latest just says isn't a 3d display.

All worked fine for me before I applied latest firmware update to Denon receiver. Have you applied the latest firmware on the Denon? If so can you tell me as much of your settings as possible. I've tried ATI drivers 10.11, 10.12, 11.1 and 11.2. Do get slightly different results but doesn't work properly with any of them. I'm running Windows 7, 32 bit. I can use a modified edid to get it to work, but that causes other issues for me.

I've tried the Denon with video processing on and off with no difference and also tried changing the other hdmi settings just in case with no result.

Thanks,

Dave.

#195 ·
I do have the latest update on the denon. I am not having any problems. The denon is set to default. I did not change anything.

ATI i am using the 10.10 with the d hotfix. The only thing i do in ATI control panel is set the ovescan to 0 because that is what it takes to fill the screen completely.

Other then that everything else is just default and working.

I am going to try the 11.2 driver this weekend.

#196 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20044510

I do have the latest update on the denon. I am not having any problems. The denon is set to default. I did not change anything.

ATI i am using the 10.10 with the d hotfix. The only thing i do in ATI control panel is set the ovescan to 0 because that is what it takes to fill the screen completely.

I've been considering a switch to ATI due to the numerous Nvidia issues and read that 11.2 is working pretty good for most folks including the video level accuracy for desktop and video.

Was thinking of a 5570 or 5670. I do want a 3D HDMI 1.4 setup - anyone have any thoughts?

#198 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20045935

i could be completely wrong but i think the 6 series are the only hdmi 1.4 cards that fully support bluray 3d

http://www.amd.com/us/products/techn...-hardware.aspx

Now that table looks definitive and supports your view. But looking at the specs for say a 5570:

5570 specs

it states:

"3D stereoscopic display/glasses support"

but perhaps that's for game play or something and BD 3D is different format.

Ah, we need a standard for 3D.

#199 ·
i think that is for games. I tried a 5450 with my set up and it would out put 1080p24fp but the HD audio would drop out all of the time. The core audio would work with no problems.

I would honestly stick with a 6 series card or if you like the punishment you can go with the nvidia.

The nvidia cards do seem to work for some people but just with some quirks. Depending on if the card likes your reciever or not is depending on how bad it is.

Like i said in an earlier post if you have a store with a good return policy around you pick one up and try it.

#200 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjam_20 /forum/post/20044510

Thanks for that. Yes works fine for me with the 10.10d drivers. Didn't even know they existed!

3D was working fine for me with 10.12 and 11.1 drivers before updating the firmware on my Denon. After firmware update 3d wouldn't work for me (or would only output 720p60fp) with 10.12, 11.1 or 11.2 drivers. Can you post back how you go with the 11.2 drivers, will be interesting to see if they work for you.

Thanks,

Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.