post #31 of 56 Old 02-03-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maestro J View Post

Has anyone tried changing these figures to control CIH zooming better? Or does every 90 owner use a lens?

Great question. I'm gonna be looking into this see how I could use the zoom/screen size and screen masking for a 16:9 and 2.35:1 format projection.

XBL GT: xX ShadowAxx Xx 

PSN ID: Bytehoven

Battle Log: Bytehoven  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 02-03-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytehoven View Post

Great question. I'm gonna be looking into this see how I could use the zoom/screen size and screen masking for a 16:9 and 2.35:1 format projection.

That would be great. I'm real interested to see if this can be manipulated. I really want to jump on board and get this projector but one thing holding me back is that I'm a zoomer and I'm spoiled by the ae4000's lens memory. I'm trying to find ways I can still be a convenience zoomer if I'm going to upgrade overall PQ.
post #33 of 56 Old 02-04-2011, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

well... the 4000 has a 2:1 zoom, right? That's a lot more zoom than the vw90 which is around 1.6:1.

If the vw90 is like other Sony projectors. the projector location must be located to take advantage of one extreme end of the zoom. For instance, you set to the least amount of zoom, and position the projector to fill a 16:9 screen. Then you can zoom in to have a 2.35:1 fill the screen top to bottom, and open side panels/masking to widen the 16:9 format to 2.35:1.

One cheat if there is not quite enough zoom, and if you have an external scaler, you can cheat the image with some vertical expansion to fill the screen and it would be too apparent.

The trick I have heard some people use, is to use the service menu to limit the lens shift in one direction, so that you can simply go all the way in one direction and have the stop/limit with the image in the correct alignment. For instance when you zoom in and the images goes down, you can set the lens shift UP stop limit so you just ride the user control until it stoops at the limit with the zoomed in image in the right position. Make sense?

Anyway... I'll do some checking and report.

post #34 of 56 Old 02-08-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Here is my setting for 2 D, if someone wants to try them out ( for now I have only 40 H on bulb, so will do it again at 200 H ), it is made with help from the Blu-ray version off DVE

Picture Mode : Any (I used Cinema 1)

Iris : Auto-1 / recommended ( actully cant see the big difference between 1 and 2 )

Contrast : 80 ( it begins to clip above 85 - like to have a little headroom )

Color : 50 ( I find the colors to be good saturated (?), natural and perfect there ( I do not like boosted color )

Brightness : 48 ( the blackfloor goes a little up after 49, and I like it black) at 51 BTB become visible

Sharpness : 0 ( did a lot of testing with "0" and "1" around letters/ text and in high resolution patterns - 1,2,3 pixels - the 1 setting ads a little dark or light area around letters/text to make them stand more out - but it do not belong in the signal and disepear at 0 , and I dont think the 90ES needs it - its very sharp even a "0" and looks even more "film-like" - and 1 gives a very little more noise in the picture

Omicronian: what did you mean with the : " at 0 it disable some important processing. ? where/how can I test it, to see if mine behave as your´s

Color temp : low 1 ( have no instruments to adjust probely, so for now that mode should be closest to D6500

Gamma correction : Gamma - 5 I have a picthblack room and the gamma around 2.3 - 2.4 gives a little more "punch" to the picture

Color Space : Normal

dj
post #35 of 56 Old 02-09-2011, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d.j. View Post

Omicronian: what did you mean with the : " at 0 it disable some important processing. ? where/how can I test it, to see if mine behave as your´s

It's really a small thing. Looking up up close at the screen, and changing from "1" to "0", you see the edges become softer than they should be. I can't see it from a normal distance, I'm just being picky. I don't know if it's actually some sharpness processing turned off but that's the way it looks like. With the setting at "1", it looks okay without any enhancement visible, nor softness, closer to what I expect from a "neutral value". My guess is that the natural softness of LCOS needs to be compensated somehow, and it isn't at "0".

It's easier to see with some small anti-aliased text, black on white.
post #36 of 56 Old 03-07-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Has anyone noticed that the reference to the firmware upgrade promised as 'after 15th Feb' on the website has disappeared along with the site being redesigned? I hate when upgrades are touted like that then nothing comes of it, let alone the prior reference being deleted. I was really hoping, as I'm sure everyone else here is, of some compatibility improvements being made in this anticipated upgrade. I am posting something right on their site now to see if I get a response regarding the update. Also they have dropped reference to the X103 model designation and now just call them 'Universal 3D Glasses'.

post #37 of 56 Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Yes, I had held off order two pairs of Xpand X103 glasses for the firmware upgrade. Not only did the upgrade never appear, but as you stated the Xpand web site has been completely redesigned to eliminate all mention of any upgrades. Furthermore, the compatibility list for 3D TV's remains the same as it has been for months.

I wrote Xpand tech support several weeks ago about the firmware upgrade trying to figure out how you could even upgrade the firmware of glasses that appear to have no connecting port. I received a call back, but the person I spoke with (who had just spoken with her "engineering" department) was very vague about how these glasses could receive a firmware upgrade.

Sony has apparently released some new glasses or is about to release new 3D glasses that are supposed to be lighter than those shipped with the 90ES, but I have not been able to find thee for sale in the U.S. anywhere.

Tom
post #38 of 56 Old 03-08-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post

Yes, I had held off order two pairs of Xpand X103 glasses for the firmware upgrade. Not only did the upgrade never appear, but as you stated the Xpand web site has been completely redesigned to eliminate all mention of any upgrades. Furthermore, the compatibility list for 3D TV's remains the same as it has been for months.

I wrote Xpand tech support several weeks ago about the firmware upgrade trying to figure out how you could even upgrade the firmware of glasses that appear to have no connecting port. I received a call back, but the person I spoke with (who had just spoken with her "engineering" department) was very vague about how these glasses could receive a firmware upgrade.

Sony has apparently released some new glasses or is about to release new 3D glasses that are supposed to be lighter than those shipped with the 90ES, but I have not been able to find thee for sale in the U.S. anywhere.

Tom

Yeah. My initial question also was, how on earth was the upgrade done. My conclusion, which I think someone else posted earlier was it probably involved sending them back to Xpand. I'm still hoping I'm wrong (that's if there's ever going to be an upgrade).

Really interesting about the new Sony glasses. I'll have a dig around for info. Perhaps they avoid the need for the polarizer as with the Xpands? Surely if Xpand has been able to offer that since last year, then Sony can put out a pair that also don't require that. Be nice if the models were closer to the comfort of the xpands as well.

post #39 of 56 Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi!

This is the answer from Xpand about firmware update

"Good Day!

Thank you for your continuous patronage and support in our products.

We will have firmware upgrade possibly by mid-year and the main reason for the upgrade is to add more brands of 3DTVs, 3D projectors and 3D monitors that will be compatible with our X103 Universal glasses. The proposed procedure was to go to any of our dealers and just bring with you the glasses and they will put a specialized battery-like connector on the battery compartment of the glasses that will upgrade the glasses firmware. The firmware will not change the performance of your X103 but it will only add more brands of equipment to be compatible with our X103.

Since you're using Sony vpl-vw90es projector and X103 in comparison to Sony active shutter glasses (with external polarizing filters), please note that the lenses on the Sony glasses do not have a built-in input polarizer. Due to that, the Sony glasses do not block any ambient light when the shutters are closed (they only block the light when it is coming from the screen). When the X103 Universal Glasses shutters are closed, they block both the ambient light and the light coming from the screen. Additionally, a small yet observable fraction of the light coming from the screen is blocked by the input polarizer, which is why Sony glasses are slightly brighter than the Universal Glasses and it must be set to High Brightness mode (as opposed to Low Brightness or Automatic). "
post #40 of 56 Old 03-09-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganimedessp View Post

Hi!

This is the answer from Xpand about firmware update

"Good Day!

Thank you for your continuous patronage and support in our products.

We will have firmware upgrade possibly by mid-year and the main reason for the upgrade is to add more brands of 3DTVs, 3D projectors and 3D monitors that will be compatible with our X103 Universal glasses. The proposed procedure was to go to any of our dealers and just bring with you the glasses and they will put a specialized “battery-like connector” on the battery compartment of the glasses that will upgrade the glasses firmware. The firmware will not change the performance of your X103 but it will only add more brands of equipment to be compatible with our X103.

Since you’re using Sony vpl-vw90es projector and X103 in comparison to Sony active shutter glasses (with external polarizing filters), please note that the lenses on the Sony glasses do not have a built-in input polarizer. Due to that, the Sony glasses do not block any ambient light when the shutters are closed (they only block the light when it is coming from the screen). When the X103 Universal Glasses shutters are closed, they block both the ambient light and the light coming from the screen. Additionally, a small yet observable fraction of the light coming from the screen is blocked by the input polarizer, which is why Sony glasses are slightly brighter than the Universal Glasses and it must be set to High Brightness mode (as opposed to Low Brightness or Automatic). "

Thanks for sharing the info. Sounds like the typical 'over promise, under-deliver' scenario. Mid-year eh, that a long way from 'around 15 Feb' lol. The update technique doesn't sound too bad. Mind you it also smacks of the we've moved on with a new model scenario.

I just noticed the Xpand site is now showing the all new 'youuniversal' Linkredesigned model which just happens to feature a USB port and recharge. They are nicely redesigned too. They also stay compatibility with '3D TV sets and 3D projectors on market'. So my guess here is they will arrive with more up to date firmware already incorporated. The design certainly looks a bit sportier, dunno about white though! I'm now wishing I didn't invest in 4 pairs of X103s so late in piece.

I just found the press release, seems they were actually previewed at CES Link and are due in April. Also seems they are customisable via iphone or android app. Now I'm really regretting the X103s and know they be going soon as I get my hands on these.

post #41 of 56 Old 03-15-2011, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok guys some unfortunate, but concrete info that the now delayed software upgrade will not address the crosstalk issues in the X103s. Seems it relates directly to their design. Maybe the X104s will be designed differently?

Quote:
Hello OzHDHT,
Sorry for the late reply. This forum program is new for us and I need to get the details for moving threads. As you can see there are two conversations taking place and I missed your response.

Two part response:
#1 The X104 YoUniversal glasses will give you the capability to customize the 3D experience to your viewing pleasure. You will be able to make certain adjustments through either your Iphone (app), Android (app) or your PC. These glasses will retail for more than the X103's, price has yet to be determined. The projected release date is mid this year and will be available worldwide. Please keep in mind that the X104's are not meant to replace the X103's as both products will be in our lineup simultaneously and will be supported equally. As you may be aware, other than the Sony projector (cross talk) issue, the X103's outperform every OEM glasses on the market. With that said, it is still a viable product that is in high demand and still has a place in the market for people that have no desire to tweak their 3D experience like the X104's give you capability to do.

#2 The X103's are due for an update but as you have already posted the response from our technical support department in the AVS forum, the update is to add additional TV models, not revise any issues at the moment. Please keep in mind that the X103's are in fact Universal and are compatible with an extensive list of product on the market, some product adjustments cannot be corrected due to polarization filters or other issues outside the technical capabilities of the glasses. We will definitely have engineering look into the capabilities of the X103's and the Sony VW90ES but I am almost positive that this is not something we can correct with a firmware update at a later date. Keep in mind that with Universality comes sacrifices. We do our best to ensure our 3D Active shutter glasses are as compatible and visually acceptable as possible.

post #42 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

www.blanca.com/HT/VW90service.pdf

Above is a link to the vw90es service manual in electronic form.

Enjoy!

RJ

post #43 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

www.blanca.com/HT/VW90service.pdf

Above is a link to the vw90es service manual in electronic form.

Enjoy!

RJ

Thanks Bytehoven - a handy manual
post #44 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Thanks Bytehoven - a handy manual

Indeed. You can not even buy the manual in printed form yet.

Thanks go out to Rob McDonough at Sony!

Bravo Rob and thanks.

RJ

post #45 of 56 Old 05-16-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Thanks go out to Rob McDonough at Sony!

Bravo Rob and thanks.

RJ

Yes - I know Rob well
post #46 of 56 Old 06-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all, by luck I came across this thread and I am hoping you guys can help me.
I already have the VPL VW 85 and am very pleased with it so about 6 weeks ago I decided to purchase the VPL VW 90es because I want to get into 3D.
I am a very discerning person seeking the very best of both sound and video and want them to be as perfect as possible.
I run my PS3 (only 1 HDMI out) into my 2 year old Maranz (AV8003) HDMI and everything works perfectly for HD so will this setup work ok for 3D?.

I am sitting in a completely dark room 3.8 mtrs away on a standard screen, size 2.900 x 1.600 mtrs.

Yesterday the sony 90es finally came in at Harvey Norman ( I live in Perth Western Australia) and at the same time I found this review
http://www.projectorcentral.com/sony...tout-vs-VWPRO1

This review absolutely praises the 2D abilities but says the 3D is very poor / not acceptable / very dark with a lot of crosstalk. As I already have the sony 85 I am very concerned that I am making a mistake here and maybe should wait a while. I am not concerned about spending the money provided the 3D is very good.
The review also talks about Sony releasing new brighter glasses in July.

I have rang the store explaining my dilemma and asking them to contact Sony with my reservations, and they have come back to me stating the state rep for Sony says there is no problem, the store even says "how about we get you these new glasses FOC when they come out if there is a problem".
This was a good response but that assumes these new glasses will solve the problem, and I wonder what address will I have if they dont.

So guys, I see your experiences in 3D with the 90es seem positive and you talk about the xpand glasses. do these really improve the 3D or what?.
Whilst the review people seem well qualified maybe they missed a few things when setting up & viewing 3D as I find it hard to believe
Is there really a big difference between brightness on 2D & 3D having finally set up the two? and does the cross talk pose a problem?.

A big thank you for all your help & advise

John
post #47 of 56 Old 06-02-2011, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgwatt View Post

Hi all, by luck I came across this thread and I am hoping you guys can help me. John

Hi John...

IMHO, the vw90es 3D performance is not that bad. Tere are some titles that will exhibit more crosstalk than others. However, I thought Avatar 3D on the vw90 was stunning. Still, I know other titles, like Despicable Me showed more cross talk on far away and very close objects. I have heard 3D glasses updates being announced in July may help reduce this problem, but we will have to see.

For me, I bought the vw90 know it's 3D performance might be less then stellar. I bought the vw90 for it's 2D performance, and as far as I am concerned, it's 3D performance is adequate for me at this time. In another year or so, I'm pretty sure I will be buying a dedicated 3D projector to mount along side the vw90.

I don't think you made a mistake upgrading from the vw85. There are significant 2D performance improvements.

If 3D will be very important to you in the short run, I don't know what to suggest. There are a number of discussions regarding 3D alternatives, and they are either very expensive or compromise 2D performance.

Our family solution for 3D... when out 10+ year old Sony 40 RPTV finally quit, we bought a Sony XBR-46hx929 LED-LCD flat panel display for the family room. The 3D performance on the hx929 is stellar. I have enjoyed watching several 3D titles on the hx929 and I do not mind the reduced image size. Plus for personal viewing when know body is around, I can just sit closer.

If you do wish to sell the vw90, I would do it sooner than later, since there might be a replacement to the vw90 announced in July or at CEDIA.

Good luck with your home theater.

RJ

post #48 of 56 Old 06-03-2011, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Hi John...

IMHO, the vw90es 3D performance is not that bad. Tere are some titles that will exhibit more crosstalk than others. However, I thought Avatar 3D on the vw90 was stunning. Still, I know other titles, like Despicable Me showed more cross talk on far away and very close objects. I have heard 3D glasses updates being announced in July may help reduce this problem, but we will have to see.

For me, I bought the vw90 know it's 3D performance might be less then stellar. I bought the vw90 for it's 2D performance, and as far as I am concerned, it's 3D performance is adequate for me at this time. In another year or so, I'm pretty sure I will be buying a dedicated 3D projector to mount along side the vw90.

I don't think you made a mistake upgrading from the vw85. There are significant 2D performance improvements.

If 3D will be very important to you in the short run, I don't know what to suggest. There are a number of discussions regarding 3D alternatives, and they are either very expensive or compromise 2D performance.

Our family solution for 3D... when out 10+ year old Sony 40 RPTV finally quit, we bought a Sony XBR-46hx929 LED-LCD flat panel display for the family room. The 3D performance on the hx929 is stellar. I have enjoyed watching several 3D titles on the hx929 and I do not mind the reduced image size. Plus for personal viewing when know body is around, I can just sit closer.

If you do wish to sell the vw90, I would do it sooner than later, since there might be a replacement to the vw90 announced in July or at CEDIA.

Good luck with your home theater.

RJ

Hi MJ
As explained in above, It is still at the store and this was why I was writing to this thread.
I wonder if you have read the review and how it compares with your 90es.
Out of curiosity what warranty do you get and where are you?.

Will I have any problems using the Playstation PS3 into my processor (Maranz, it is not a 3D one, it is about 2 years old)?, as I have read somewhere that unless it is there will be a prob with 3D?.

I have done a test using the PS3 into the Maranz and then into my Sony KDL 60 LX900 3D TV and all worked fine so I assume it would be the same for the 90es,, what do you think.

Cedia is not till next year I think but if they are definately going to bring out a new model in July I would be a fool to go ahead with this purchase
,, any idea what the improvements might be?.
Seeing that the 90es has only been out a few months (I believe) surely Sony would not release a new model better, all the 90es purchasers would feel annoyed i guess, Maybe its just with the new glasses??

Ah I see you have avatar on 3D ( over here you cant get it unless you buy of the net at something like $100+ ,,It seems panasonic have all the rights and it only come with their 3D glasses) I noticed on that with the 90es that the stars (where you saw the spaceship in space before landing) were a lot less in quantity than the 2D version, ie the 3D made the scene darker & in turn less visible stars?.

Thanks

John
post #49 of 56 Old 06-04-2011, 10:25 AM

John,

I have had the Sony VPL-VW90ES in my home theater since January of this year. I bought it to replace a Sony VPL-VW100 that i had had for 5 years that was giving me an increasing amount of trouble. When I first bought the 90ES, my wife and I had no real interest in 3D, although we had seen and enjoyed Avatar at our local IMAX in 3D.

I have read virtually every review that has come out on the 90ES, and I can tell you they range all over the place in talking about the 3D image quality of this projector. Some reviews love it. Some think it is OK but not great, and some report it as terrible.

My own personal experience (which I have reported earlier on this Forum) with the 3D capability of this projector has been very favorable. I am projecting on to a Stewart StudioTek 1.3 gain screen (96 in. wide) with my projector mounted at about 123 in. from the screen. I have viewed well over half of the 42 or so Blu-ray 3D DVD's that are out there since January. In most cases, my wife and I saw no ghosting at all on the majority of these titles. On a few titles, we see occasional minor ghosting. Because of the relatively small size of our screen and the close mounting of the projector, brightness is not a problem in watching Blu-ray 3D DVD's with our 90ES even though 60% of the brightness is lost when watching 3D. We use the Sony glasses that came with the projector and the Medium brightness glasses setting in the 3D settings on the projector. We never watch 2D material at anything other than the low lamp setting, but for 3D we do appreciate the extra brightness provided by the high lamp setting.

In summary I think the 90ES provides a very satisfactory 3D viewing experience. I would definitely purchase it again, and I have been very pleased with it for viewing both 2D and 3D material.

I would urge you not to place too much emphasis on any review that you read of this projector as I have found the negative reviews of the 90ES simply do not match my own personal experience.

Tom
post #50 of 56 Old 06-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post

John,

I have had the Sony VPL-VW90ES in my home theater since January of this year. I bought it to replace a Sony VPL-VW100 that i had had for 5 years that was giving me an increasing amount of trouble. When I first bought the 90ES, my wife and I had no real interest in 3D, although we had seen and enjoyed Avatar at our local IMAX in 3D.

I have read virtually every review that has come out on the 90ES, and I can tell you they range all over the place in talking about the 3D image quality of this projector. Some reviews love it. Some think it is OK but not great, and some report it as terrible.

My own personal experience (which I have reported earlier on this Forum) with the 3D capability of this projector has been very favorable. I am projecting on to a Stewart StudioTek 1.3 gain screen (96 in. wide) with my projector mounted at about 123 in. from the screen. I have viewed well over half of the 42 or so Blu-ray 3D DVD's that are out there since January. In most cases, my wife and I saw no ghosting at all on the majority of these titles. On a few titles, we see occasional minor ghosting. Because of the relatively small size of our screen and the close mounting of the projector, brightness is not a problem in watching Blu-ray 3D DVD's with our 90ES even though 60% of the brightness is lost when watching 3D. We use the Sony glasses that came with the projector and the Medium brightness glasses setting in the 3D settings on the projector. We never watch 2D material at anything other than the low lamp setting, but for 3D we do appreciate the extra brightness provided by the high lamp setting.

In summary I think the 90ES provides a very satisfactory 3D viewing experience. I would definitely purchase it again, and I have been very pleased with it for viewing both 2D and 3D material.

I would urge you not to place too much emphasis on any review that you read of this projector as I have found the negative reviews of the 90ES simply do not match my own personal experience.

Tom

Hi Tom & thanks for your input,
yep, thats the trouble with reviews and I guess its all up to how the 90es was set up. If all the reviews were positive we would be onto something great.
I had the VPL VW100 and when I purchased the Sony 85 I found many improvements and in 2D ALL the reviews were very positive when coming from the Sony 85.

Did you find any connection issues as question in my thread, ie, blu ray player to prossessor to projector for the 3D content and also my query with Avatar and stars visable on 2D vs 3D.

My situation is a little more difficault and certainly if I was in your shoes coming from the VPL 100 you made a good decision,,, me however , having the 85 already, makes it that I am buying JUST for the 3D so I have to be careful,, Here it costs $8500 so its not cheap.
As I have not yet taken delivery (and only paid a small deposit) I will see what the dealer can do for me,,, perhaps a home trial or free glasses if they improve the cross talk / lower brightness. If not I may well wait until this 3D part gets a big update so as to excite all that see it.

G,Day mate

John
post #51 of 56 Old 06-04-2011, 08:57 PM

John,

I would suggest that your dealer simply set up the 90ES and give you a chance to view 3D Blu-ray discs on it. This is the only way that you will know whether the 3D quality of the 90 ES meets your needs or not.

Tonight my wife and I watched Tron: Legacy in 3D. While I can't say I am a fan of this movie, the 3D was outstanding -- and throughout the entire movie I never saw a single instance of ghosting and the picture was plenty bright.

I have also recently purchased the Sony HDR-TD10 3D camcorder and starting shooting my own 3D material. While this is only a consumer camera and hence the movies I shoot are not going to compete with Avatar, I have been truly delighted by the 3D produced by this camera which is a perfect match for the 90ES. Colors are brilliant, detail is excellent, and with the proper care taking in recording a scene, we do not see any ghosting.

Again, I suggest that the only way you can answer the value question is not through reading reviews but by seeing the 90ES yourself with a 3D Blu-ray disc.

Tom
post #52 of 56 Old 07-25-2011, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I managed to pick up 2 pairs of tdg-pj1 glasses off eBay, direct from Japan. Tried them briefly tonight up against x103s. X103s still seem brighter just slightly. I need more testing but I believe the Sonys like the original models, are a tad better on ghosting. At this stage I still think the next gen expand youniveral models will poss be the a better bet for real worthwhile performance gain with this projector. The comfort level of new Sonys is much closer to x103s. I actually had to feel which ones I was wearing to tell diff a couple times. thankfully I have 2 other Sony 3D panels to move spare glasses around to as I've got 5 pairs of Sonys now between old and new, plus 4 x103s.

post #53 of 56 Old 05-18-2012, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any more tips in tweaks and calibration that anyone share?
post #54 of 56 Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Enter, enter, left and enter.

Hi joerod, I can't seem to access the service menu based on the steps described by you. What did I omit?
post #55 of 56 Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 AM

Found the missing 'link' - Up button.
post #56 of 56 Old 10-02-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Greetings Sports Fans...

My HT is finally back online with the vw90. The projector has been sitting in it's box for well over a year and it was nice to see it fire up and look as good as ever. I was worried it might have a fungus attack or something else to degrade the image.

Below are pics of my new HT. The space is a new home production space designed as a 5.1 screening room in the front with my video/audio/music 2.o post set up in the rear turned CW 90*. The client seating area in the rear production space will also serve as over flow seating for home HT events.

I'm set up as a 100" WIDE 2.40:1 screen, displaying 16:9 content with side bars. I like that better than a 16:9 screen with wide format images showing bars above/below.

I'm currently running my old Yamaha RX-V663 with Paradigm Atom v3 speakers all around. I'm currently looking for a new subwoofer, but I may wait until I can afford the sound system upgrade. The upgrade I have in mind is either a Blue Sky System One or JBL LSR6325P, which are both better suited for the film mixing projects I will have in the room.

I have yet to finish the acoustical treatments for the room so the bass is a little wild and there is pretty good flutter echo. The space will be pretty well tamed in a few weeks after I install the acoustical panels and traps.

I have been surviving on our Sony 46" 929 in the family room, but it was good to finally test drive the new space with The Avengers. smile.gif

I hope to get down to calibrating the vw90 in a few weeks as well, although it is looking really good.

Cheers

RJ

CIMG4427wide.jpg

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw90es 3d 240hz Sxrd Projector
Gear in this thread - 240hz by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page