Official Sharp 3D XV-Z17000 Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 05-11-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 543 Post(s)
Liked: 544
The most popular among videophiles right now is the Oppo 95. Hard to go wrong with that or do much better.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All. Just got my Z17000 up and running and so excited. The 3D is amazing. I'm a current owner of a 3D plasma and this just blows it away. One issue I've been having that I'm hoping you experts might be able to help me on is 720P signals. Some stations (ESPNHD) and some PS3 games broadcast at a native 720P signal. When these broadcasts/games are shown on my screen the screen shrinks about 1/3 the size and becomes a smaller box in the middle. My last projector was 720P so i didn't experience this issue. Is this normal for 1080P projectors when broadcasting in 720P? Am I forced to use "resize" to get 720P images to broadcast with the full screen size? Thanks for the feedback.
post #33 of 52 Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 AM

that is strange. I would suggest playing with the resolution output of your cable\\satellite box and that of the PS3
post #34 of 52 Old 05-20-2011, 02:49 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshy0666 View Post

Hi All. Just got my Z17000 up and running and so excited. The 3D is amazing. I'm a current owner of a 3D plasma and this just blows it away. One issue I've been having that I'm hoping you experts might be able to help me on is 720P signals. Some stations (ESPNHD) and some PS3 games broadcast at a native 720P signal. When these broadcasts/games are shown on my screen the screen shrinks about 1/3 the size and becomes a smaller box in the middle. My last projector was 720P so i didn't experience this issue. Is this normal for 1080P projectors when broadcasting in 720P? Am I forced to use "resize" to get 720P images to broadcast with the full screen size? Thanks for the feedback.

Everyone who has tried the Sharp reports it has the best 3D.
How about the 2D picture quality?

The 720 may need scaling to 1080p. Is scaling disabled in the receiver and the 17000?
Or the cable and satellite companies cannot transmit full 3D so they send only half the data (or less) with non-standard timing. Direct TV is another. So check with Sharp and see if there is a firmware update.
post #35 of 52 Old 05-20-2011, 02:56 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

The most popular among videophiles right now is the Oppo 95. Hard to go wrong with that or do much better.

Video quality is identical between the 93 and 95 if that is the main priority and the 93 is considerably less $$$. The only reason to go for a 95 over a 93 is for better quality analog audio if you need that.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #36 of 52 Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Nice review here.

HD Living Review of Sharp XV-Z17000

Michael
post #37 of 52 Old 05-21-2011, 06:40 AM

Liked: 17
If we look back at Blu-ray 3D format since its inception many AVS members were skeptics. They worst had hostile reactions. Probably 50-70% said they don't need or want it. Others said they would wait and see. Only a small minority were positive. (I knew it would succeed as the technical specifications matched 2D). So like what if we took a poll today?

Its interesting to read of each professional reviewer's resistance melt away after having a good DLP 3D projector in house (ironically like all of one model).

At last January's CES we should give credit to Projector Central for getting the scoop in providing accurate 3D rankings.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/1080p_3D_projectors.htm

Now we learn of Mitsubishi thankfully back-stepping in developing an "entry-level" DLP 3D projector, announced for less than 3000 €:
http://translate.google.com/translat...-HC9000-0.html
post #38 of 52 Old 05-23-2011, 07:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback gang. Still having issues with the 720p conversion. I tested the cable box and the ps3 on all my 1080p tvs in the house and no issues, so I think if there is a fix it must be with the projector. Best fix I've found so far is to resize the screen from native to natural, but that's kind of a pain.

As for the 2D picture. All I can compare to is my old Sanyo Z3, but man what an upgrade. Great colors, strong blacks. I've heard some comments about this baby not being bright enough, but in my room it's a perfect. 3D is still where i'm blown away though. I watched resident evil 3D last night and sat through the first 15 mins with my jaw dropped. Now my 50 inch samsung 3d TV looks like a toy compared to this.
post #39 of 52 Old 05-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

If we look back at Blu-ray 3D format since its inception many AVS members were skeptics. They worst had hostile reactions. Probably 50-70% said they don't need or want it. Others said they would wait and see. Only a small minority were positive. (I knew it would succeed as the technical specifications matched 2D). So like what if we took a poll today?

there are people on the forum that will now only watch 3D movies. Its like me with Blu-ray. I wont watch DVD. Having said that, I dont like 3D myself at least i dont like seeing them in the movie theater
post #40 of 52 Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Mark, I just bought this projector and this is my first projector. Your comment will be very helpful but I have one more question. Since, lense is on one side of the projector, when I mount the projector on the ceiling, should I need to make sure projector itself is mounted in middle (leaving lens on litle off to the middle) or mounted in such a way so that lens (projector eye) should come in the middle.
post #41 of 52 Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 AM

Liked: 16
The lense, of course. Turn the projector on and see yourself where it throws the picture.
post #42 of 52 Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a good deal on 3d glasses for the Sharp XV-Z17000?
post #43 of 52 Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I only want to make one thing clear. This thing has 6-segment 5x speed color wheel? Which effectively makes it 10x speed? Isn't it faster than all current FullHD 3D models under 5000$?
post #44 of 52 Old 01-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy420 View Post

Does anyone have a suggestion on where I can find a good deal on 3d glasses for the Sharp XV-Z17000?

ebay
post #45 of 52 Old 01-21-2013, 06:40 PM

That's a great idea, I never would have thought of that rolleyes.gif

Actually, I'm looking for specific brands and model numbers that have been successfully used by someone who owns this projector. The Sharp website and owners manual state that only the Sharp AN-3DG10 glasses are compatible. Since Sharp sells these glasses for $150+ through their website, it's no surprise that they don't mention less expensive alternatives. As far as ebay is concerned, the only glasses with that model number are currently selling for $145.99 + $15.00 shipping, which is not exactly what I would call a "good deal".

There is an article here (http://hometheater.about.com/od/televisionproductreviews/fr/Sharp-Xv-Z17000-3d-1080p-Dlp-Video-Projector-Product-Review.htm) that mentions the XpanD X103 Universal 3D Glasses as being compatible, but even the XPAND website doesn't list Sharp Projectors as being compatible. I have read that the Sony PS3 3D glasses are compatible with other IR projectors, but there's no mention of its compatibility with the z17000, specifically.

Since this is the official Sharp 3d xv-z17000 owners thread, I was hoping that there might be someone who knows a more affordable brand/model of glasses, and who would be so kind as to provide a specific recommendation. Needless to say, I would greatly appreciate it.
post #46 of 52 Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read that XpanD glasses have noticeable compared to original Sharp glasses.

EDITED: TINT. Noticeable tint.
post #47 of 52 Old 01-23-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

I only want to make one thing clear. This thing has 6-segment 5x speed color wheel? Which effectively makes it 10x speed? Isn't it faster than all current FullHD 3D models under 5000$?
Answering my own question, no. It only has 2.5x color wheel speed. Being RGBRGB it makes for an effective 5x speed. BenQ W7000 in dynamic mode can be faster - 6x speed.
post #48 of 52 Old 01-26-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

I've read that XpanD glasses have noticeable compared to original Sharp glasses.

I'm not sure what you are trying to day about the XpanD glasses, but I'm going to assume it wasn't complimentary wink.gif

I think I read a review on Amazon where someone mentioned that the Sony PS3 3D glasses are compatible with Sharp 3D tv's, so I picked up a pair of Sony PS3 3D glasses for $20 at my local BB (apparently, these will no longer be carried in stores) and tested them out with my projector. The glasses seemed to sync well and I did not notice any significant ghosting or crosstalk, but what I did notice was some gradient banding (at least, that's what I think the correct term is: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php) when using the PS3 glasses. What I mean by this is that the color gradients don't transition smoothly across an image; it is more noticeable in some scenes than others. I compared it to the Sharp glasses and did not have the same problem, so I know there's nothing wrong with the projector. I didn't play around with any of the settings to see if that makes any difference or not, but I would be concerned that if I changed the display setting for the ps3 glasses that it would screw up the picture for the sharp glasses. I'm kinda bummed since the PS3 glasses are really inexpensive; I might just keep a couple of pairs for kids who I don't trust with more expensive glasses. I guess my next step will be to try one of the other the Sharp 3D glasses and see how those work.
post #49 of 52 Old 01-26-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slothy420 View Post

I'm not sure what you are trying to day about the XpanD glasses, but I'm going to assume it wasn't complimentary wink.gif
"I just accidentally a coca-cola bottle" <_> Edited my post )
So, you're one of the few active Z17000 owners. Can you give us a fresh view on this old model and tell us if it's still valid nowadays picture-wise? How's sharpness, contrast in bright and dark scenes? Gradation? Image noise?
post #50 of 52 Old 03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I got one at BB yesterday.

I setup natural for 2D and Dynamic for 3D.

Contrast 5
bright -2
color -1
tint +1
red slider 0
blue slider minus 6
gamma 0

I got the red/blue slider spots from running my colorfacts system at 80ire. When I ran a grayscale test it showed a perfect D65k from zero all the way up to 90ire around 95 red tailed down a bit, no biggie. It showed a 2.21 gamma which is excellent.

For 3D Dynamic, just use the same numbers but turn off the manual iris, leave DI going, turn on the brilliant color and run in bright lamp mode.

This projectors images look identical to the Optoma HD8600 I reviewed here. But the DI works better, I didn't see any negatives from the DI. Can't wait to check out The Hobbit movie on this puppy. I'll give the PJ a 10 thumbs up.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #51 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I saw this projector at BB few months back and thought it had a very good picture and the RBE is almost non-existence. The contrast and blacks are pretty good.
post #52 of 52 Old 03-09-2013, 07:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I've had two JVC's and a couple of mits lcd's and a Sanyo. You can't beat the pop of a good DLP. It's the ansi contrast difference. Plus against the LCD's it's the fact black and white can exist at the same time without the white washing out the black. Mirrors on / mirrors off at the same time at any point of the screens video equals pure white and black at the same time. You should hv snagged that DLP.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page