Do you protect your theater with emergency power supply? - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have my projector along with my Directv receivers (2), an A/V receiver, a Panny Blu-ray player and a HTPC (with external hard drive) all connected to an APC 1500 UPS. This morning for some reason I had an "overload failure" and everything went off. I was worried that my projector lamp may blow, but it did not. I turned the UPS off and then after about 5 minutes restarted it. Everything started back fine. But just in case I bought an additional 750 UPS and splilt up some of my equipment.

I was glad that the lamp would not blow if it does not have time to cool off.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 02-27-2011, 04:04 AM
AVS Special Member

This is what I have and since my previous post I have had it shut down twice since. So it has shut down 3 times in one day. As stated in my previous post when it shut down the first time I bought a smaller UPS to spread out some of my equipment. I was sure this would solve this problem. The second and third time it shut down by itself with no alarms and restarted itself. It had no info on the screen except for the startup info. I have had this J15 for about 3 1/2 years with no issues.

Any ideas what is going on?

post #63 of 68 Old 02-27-2011, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
This is what I have and since my previous post I have had it shut down twice since. So it has shut down 3 times in one day. As stated in my previous post when it shut down the first time I bought a smaller UPS to spread out some of my equipment. I was sure this would solve this problem. The second and third time it shut down by itself with no alarms and restarted itself. It had no info on the screen except for the startup info. I have had this J15 for about 3 1/2 years with no issues.

Any ideas what is going on?
My guess would be the batteries need replacement.
post #64 of 68 Old 02-27-2011, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

That is where I am leaning for now. I have been monitoring the battery runtime and it has been staying right at 35 to 36 minutes all morning. When I power up the HTPC it goes down to 22 minutes.

I plan on unplugging anything non-essential from the UPS to see what happens.

post #65 of 68 Old 02-27-2011, 07:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

I have my projector along with my Directv receivers (2), an A/V receiver, a Panny Blu-ray player and a HTPC (with external hard drive) all connected to an APC 1500 UPS.

The pj and HTPC you definitely want on the UPS. The BD player has a motor; maybe that too. But the other stuff you can put on the "surge-only" side of the UPS (if you have that).
post #66 of 68 Old 03-02-2011, 11:10 AM
AVS Club Gold

I always have.

Anyone who runs one of these projectors without a UPS just hasn't thought about it much YET. But there's no going back and undoing the damage if they get caught out. PCs can't get damaged by a power cut the way a projector can, yet everyone thinks about the PC first..

The reason these projectors do a cool-down cycle when powered down normally is not simply to protect the blub - hell that easy (if expensive) to replace.

But the REAL damage done by an abrupt power cut can be MASSIVE damage to the internals of the projector by the incredibly hot bulb - I'm talking MELTED plastics and parts in the light engine. You'll WISH it was just the bulb...

Trust me folks, it doesn't take much to protect your baby...

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The
post #67 of 68 Old 03-02-2011, 11:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I was glad that the lamp would not blow if it does not have time to cool off.
It's not good for the lamp, for sure, but the real risk is the damage to the optics and the light engine from the residual heat of the lamp.

Ahh... F1 in full HD 3D with

The

The
post #68 of 68 Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 221
So, the dreaded power on-off-on hit me yesterday, Sat Oct-15, 2011.

Very windy here in Hartland, we were watching college football in the basement HT, MSU vs U of M.

Then, a "blink" and everything turned off then 1 second later back on.

The PJ stayed in off mode, but the fan went into cool down mode for the usual time.
(I have a Sony VPL-VW60, the Black Pearl).

After it was totally off, I pressed on, and the PJ came on same as usual.
Breathed a sigh of relief.

2 things:
-the PJ was smart enough to go into a cooled shutdown once the power came back on.
-if there was a power surge, fortunately the PJ was not damaged.
(nor any of my other AV equipment)

Fwiw, I have the PJ powered thru a Panamax 5400
In the 3,000 hrs of watching since May-2008, 3+ years, this is first time it's happened to me.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page