Epson 6500 UB -- Pink Bar Problems - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Epson 6500 UB -- Pink Bar Problems

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Eric E's Avatar Eric E
06:03 AM Liked: 10
post #1 of 7
02-22-2011 | Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 2008
I have a 6500 with 2,333 hours on the lamp. This is my forst projector. Recently, the image has developed a pink hue at the bottom of the screen. This is at the very bottom of the image. It is not a bar, but a pink tone to the image, and it is very noticeable. I have had the projector for almost two years.

First, is anyone else having this issue? And second, is this a lamp or projector issue?

Thank you very much for any help.

Eric
Knd's Avatar Knd
09:08 AM Liked: 13
post #2 of 7
02-22-2011 | Posts: 478
Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E View Post
I have a 6500 with 2,333 hours on the lamp. This is my forst projector. Recently, the image has developed a pink hue at the bottom of the screen. This is at the very bottom of the image. It is not a bar, but a pink tone to the image, and it is very noticeable. I have had the projector for almost two years.

First, is anyone else having this issue? And second, is this a lamp or projector issue?

Thank you very much for any help.

Eric
It sounds like what I had on my first 6500 UB. Mine was still under warranty and I called and they said it had to be replaced, so they sent me a new pj.
Eric E's Avatar Eric E
01:54 PM Liked: 10
post #3 of 7
02-22-2011 | Posts: 11
Joined: Feb 2008
Called Epson today, and I will have a new projector tomorrow or Thursday.
Knd's Avatar Knd
05:49 AM Liked: 13
post #4 of 7
02-24-2011 | Posts: 478
Joined: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric E View Post
Called Epson today, and I will have a new projector tomorrow or Thursday.
Congrats. I called in the morning and had the replacement the following afternoon - really great customer service.

Because of their warranty support, when its time to upgrade I'm going to look at their units first.
leaflover's Avatar leaflover
09:00 AM Liked: 10
post #5 of 7
04-21-2012 | Posts: 2
Joined: Apr 2012
I purchased an Epson 6500 in 2009 and within 12 months started to experience image quality issues. A green and red band started to form on the bottom and top of the image. It progressively got worse so I contacted Epson who sent me a refurbished unit. I have had that unit now for about 18 months and am now experiencing the exact same issue. I once again contacted Epson who acknowledge the problem, but, have washed their hands of it because I am out of the warranty period...and they suggest my only recourse is to take it for servicing.

Epson go on to suggest I acquire an new Epson product in their email response to me. "Please keep in mind that in some cases, the cost of a new product may be a more cost effective solution than servicing."

I thought I had purchased a fairly decent projector from a good manufacturer, but given 'two' projectors have lasted less than a combined 3 years I would be very careful about purchasing Epson. The quality was not there for me and I find their resolution to a problem that is clearly systemic - unacceptable. I am starting to blog about my battle with Epson calling it David and Goliath - An Epson Tale of Broken Dreams. I believe that consumers must be protected from situations like this where the manufacturer clearly has a quality issue.
tractng's Avatar tractng
09:22 PM Liked: 26
post #6 of 7
12-06-2012 | Posts: 1,359
Joined: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post


I purchased an Epson 6500 in 2009 and within 12 months started to experience image quality issues. A green and red band started to form on the bottom and top of the image. It progressively got worse so I contacted Epson who sent me a refurbished unit. I have had that unit now for about 18 months and am now experiencing the exact same issue. I once again contacted Epson who acknowledge the problem, but, have washed their hands of it because I am out of the warranty period...and they suggest my only recourse is to take it for servicing.


Epson go on to suggest I acquire an new Epson product in their email response to me. "Please keep in mind that in some cases, the cost of a new product may be a more cost effective solution than servicing."


I thought I had purchased a fairly decent projector from a good manufacturer, but given 'two' projectors have lasted less than a combined 3 years I would be very careful about purchasing Epson. The quality was not there for me and I find their resolution to a problem that is clearly systemic - unacceptable. I am starting to blog about my battle with Epson calling it David and Goliath - An Epson Tale of Broken Dreams. I believe that consumers must be protected from situations like this where the manufacturer clearly has a quality issue.


Is this a fixable solution. I have the stupid pink shade for over a year now and warranty has run out:eek: is this a board issue or lamp? I have an epson 6500UB with about 1300 hours.
ChrisW6ATV's Avatar ChrisW6ATV
10:02 PM Liked: 17
post #7 of 7
12-12-2012 | Posts: 4,207
Joined: Nov 2000
Another discussion said this problem is in the "optical engine". That is another name, more or less, for "the whole unit other than the video parts and power supply". Not a very helpful description. They should be able to supply parts down to a smaller level, such as the individual LCD panels and various prisms, lenses, and so on, but apparently they don't.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3