Noob questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've looked around the forum and other places to try and find an answer but I just don't get some of the mass information.

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

A projector that is rated to project it's image on a 50''-200'' screen. I'd like to increase this greatly (while maintaining the image quality/contrast/brightness if possible).
1: I could just move the projector back and focus it properly?
2: I would lose brightness and contrast in doing this?
3: 2 could be corrected with a different lens(maybe only fixing the brightness or contrast, and altering the throw ratio)?
4: Are there any non theater (4kx2k <$50000) projectors I should be looking at, that are still capable of 1080p (or better) and 3d(120hz)?
5: Does the projector lamp have anything to do with throw distance, or only brightness/contrast?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
With the questions you're asking, you may well be in the wrong subforum, these questions lead to answers that I think point you to the $20k+ forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectornoob View Post
A projector that is rated to project it's image on a 50''-200'' screen. I'd like to increase this greatly (while maintaining the image quality/contrast/brightness if possible).
First things first, the size ratings of projectors are absolutely worthless in determining usability in practice. They're not based on any image quality metrics, probably just physical optical design parameters (like maybe focus range/zoom range or something).

Quote:
1: I could just move the projector back and focus it properly?
2: I would lose brightness and contrast in doing this?
3: 2 could be corrected with a different lens(maybe only fixing the brightness or contrast, and altering the throw ratio)?
Projectors output a "fixed" amount of light, the bigger the image, the larger the area that light is spread over, and the result is the dimmer the image. There's no way around this. All else equal, a larger image is dimmer than a smaller one. The only thing you can do to compensate is to throw more light at the screen.

There are several options, in some cases you can open up a iris (which restricts light/improves contrast), run the lamp in a higher mode. But these are somewhat limited in their capabilities. If you're talking very large screens, generally you're looking at machines with "bigger" (more powerful) lamps or multiple lamps.

The other option is a screen with gain (focuses the light more back to the viewer).

Quote:
4: Are there any non theater (4kx2k <$50000) projectors I should be looking at, that are still capable of 1080p (or better) and 3d(120hz)?
There's plenty of 3D 1080p projectors, JVC released a number, Sony, Sharp all have 3D 1080p machines.

Quote:
5: Does the projector lamp have anything to do with throw distance, or only brightness/contrast?
Just the brighteness (well and gamut), that's it.

But at greater than 200" and 3D, I think you're solidly in the $20k+ forum. I doubt you'll get the horsepower otherwise.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #3 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 653
The last I heard, the LG CF3D with 2500 Lumen was the brightest 3D, 1080p unit .. around $15K list if I remember right .. based on your post, I don't think that unit will even accomplish what your goals are ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much.

I suppose I'll look for the brightest lamp I can and worry about getting the screen size up later or try using 2 projectors eventually.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Thank you very much.

I suppose I'll look for the brightest lamp I can and worry about getting the screen size up later or try using 2 projectors eventually.
The LG units is actually two projectors that share a lens .. it also uses passive glasses ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #6 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Thank you very much.

For good bright 3D over 100" I think pretty much all of the current (under 10K) projectors need the DaLite High Power screen. Problem is it can be too bright for 2D if our projector can not be easily adjusted down. Which means ou might need two screens. I think that might be the best set up. Fixed frame screen for 2D and a drop down High Power for 3D. That way you are not having to compromise 2D so much to get 3D and you are not having to compromise 3D so much to get good 2D.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Reading the first post I interpret it as he's looking for something that can project 3D on a screen that is much bigger than 200'. There's nothing in this forum that would even approach that - HP or no HP. As suggested by Stanger, he needs to ask the big boys in the +20K forum. Here's the link:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=86
post #8 of 9 Old 02-22-2011, 01:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 151
Yup, I'm thinking DPI or Sim2. I think Sim2's 3D solution (at least one of them) is 2 Lumi, although I think that's on the order of $70k MSRP. Though it would be plenty bright given I think it uses passive glasses, and of course 2 Lumi. DPI has 3D machines that are rated for 14,000 Lumens so those should work too.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2012, 12:41 PM - Thread Starter

Wow thanks for all the replies. It's been months since I posted this, and has been around 6 months since we upgraded to digital at the theater.

We ended up going with a christy CP2010(i think ? or a 2210) doremi server, dolby cp750 sound processor and have a realD XL lens.

After a month or so of trying to work some way of using an older 2k projector to comply to DCI and realD specs, i gave up, plus someone else was fotting the bill at that point so.
Total it cost around $80k to make the upgrade from our 35mm setup to a digital 3d, but that included all the new hardware install etc. The hardest part of the change over was figuring out how to make DCP's for our preshow, which was easily done after some toying with dcpbuilder( www.dcpbuilder.com IT'S free!)

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page