How would the Sony Qualia-004 compare to today's projectors? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2011, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked: 401
I just saw a series of photos of this projector. I know this is a model from 2004, but the physical appearance is pretty amazing. It looks as solid as a tank.

88 lbs & 700watt Xenon lamp? I read some old reviews where folks were lighting up some pretty big screens with this projector. How long did this bulb last? it must be insanely expensive.

if anyone cares to share some stories, I'd like to hear some info. @ $27K MSRP that is one big price tag back in 2004. Full HD before there was really any HD content.

Well folks had D-VHS players and maybe the old Muse Hi-Vision laser discs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I worked at a post house that had one. I, of course, was in the market for a projector at the time. When I first saw it fired up, we were showing a series shot in HD running off of a professional HD-D5 machine (that machine is about $60,000).

One word: BLOWN AWAY. Plenty bright, crystal clear, good depth. BUT, I really had no reference to speak of. The only projectors I ever saw were half assed set up at home theater stores, CRTs running laser discs upconverted to 480p (which always looked like crap for some reason, even though it was all running through thousands of dollars of equipment and processors.) Heck, even a DVD running through a 720p LCD projector can look crazy good compared to what I was used to.

It was very inspiring to see the image it threw. It made me want my own projector SOOOOO bad, but the price tag and bulbs were simply outrageous. Who new 5 years later you could get a projector that was just about equal in performance (minus the optics maybe) for about 3 grand.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 28
It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has owned or personally seen enough of both how just the Qualia's sharpness and detail, with its high quality optics, compared with a new RS40 or 50 with no significant convergence or lens issues? People always raved about that and still do while it has been surpassed in other areas.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 187
It can't do 3D, so its no use to me. I just checked out the cost of a replacement lamp for it. Any one around here willing to pay $2,400 to $2,500, before tax, for a new lamp?
post #5 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has owned or personally seen enough of both how just the Qualia's sharpness and detail, with its high quality optics, compared with a new RS40 or 50 with no significant convergence or lens issues? People always raved about that and still do while it has been surpassed in other areas.

It will compete with and still handily beat nearly everything, with the exception of black levels and contrast. And, unfortunately for Qualia lovers, that now becomes a major concession.

I've owned two Qualias, as well as the Sharp XV-Z20000, Sony VPL-VW200, Runco Q-750i, and now I have the JVC RS-60. If you could throw out contrast and black levels, it would still be at the top of the heap.

Let's make the analogy to a woman. The Qualia has the prettiest face, the longest legs, the fairest skin. But she is flat as a board. She needs those bazooms to compete.

Thanks,

Nick
post #6 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k;20162238. View Post

... @ $27K MSRP that is one big price tag back in 2004. Full HD before there was really any HD content...

The $27K was only for the body, a choice of lens was an additional $3K! The Q004 got me seriously interested in digital pjs after my neighbor got one to replace his G90 CRT. The large .79" SXRD chip and expensive glass produced extremely sharp images.

While the 1500 lumens at 1000:1 on/off with iris open and iris closed 600 lumens 2000:1 on/off is anemic CR by today's standards it did produce ~300:1 ANSI CR at a time when it's $30K competitor the JVC HD2K could manage only ~90:1 ANSI CR.

A true statement piece and IMO still the best looking video kit ever made!
post #7 of 7 Old 03-17-2011, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I owned a Q004 from 2005 until last fall when I replaced it with an Digital Projrction M-vision LED.

The Q004 was a beautiful design, built like a tank, and had an incredibly sharp lens. Very expensive but could be purchased at 15-20% off retail. Also, while lamp was rated at 2,000 hours, all original owners were entitled to one free replacement lamp.

No longer state of the art but a magnificent projector. Too bad they didn't continue the line.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP