Official Sony vpl-vw70 (emphasis on B-stock) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How many has went through Sony, and purchased an extended warranty? It will still be a few months before I will have my HT room up and running.
How much is the warranty? What is the phone number to reach Sony about the extended warranty.

How are most people mounting this projector? Shelf or ceiling? I have someone coming over in a few days to help me place everything.

I found the number--purchase Sony Extended Service Plans online at Sony Style or call us at 1-866-374-0134 for assistance.
I did not see projectors in the list to buy the service plan online. I will call them Monday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 05:30 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

I totally agree that most people over-estimate how bright they need their picture, better to overestimate than underestimate though.

The Sanyo will work fine for HP screens, for non-HP screens you'll need a really small screen to get maximum lamp life.
Remember that I own a Sanyo with exactly the same lumens as the z4000, so I have a pretty good feel for it.

OK so if we go PJC's review we get an 18% boost from Mid to closest instead of Art's claimed 15.5% (2.5% difference).

Art got 320 lumens in best mode, on other reviews people got a claimed 300-390 lumens (390 being the highest I saw for an almost best mode). This is on a NEW LAMP on HIGH.

Expect 350 lumens on the Sanyo on LAMP on HIGH in a best mode, best case, enough has been said about it already.
It is possible to squeeze a decent pic out with 500 lumens, but skin tones will suffer without an external processor to modify the color tables.

Coder, I did not pick up on that 15% being measured from the mid point. I went back and looked at that paragraph and Art did measure from the mid point going in both directions. The total from Zoom in to zoom out is 38.5%. That matches closer to Projector Centrals measurements and helps prove my point. The projectors with long zooms are always going to be at a disadvantage when using mid point measurement against mid point measurements of projectors with shorter zooms.

Granted the Z4000 is not as bright as many of the other projectors, but it is not as far behind as Art's review makes it look. I think a better way to compare brightness would be to set the projectors at minimum zoom rather than mid zoom for the screen size and then measure brightness. This way the projectors would all be at their brightest point for that size screen.
post #183 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjg100 View Post

Coder, I did not pick up on that 15% being measured from the mid point.

----Added
---Sorry I don't mean to sound brash before, just a bit tired this morning. I know we are only trying to establish a baseline.
---I do agree the Sanyo z4000 is too overlooked, even when looking at Epson's return / restocking fee policy, it isn't much better than the Sanyo policy from Overstock.com.

That said, I will be recommending the z4000 over the 8350 every single time now unless people want a brighter projector, but would still lean towards the 8700ub for people that want the darkest blacks since the Epson gives the extra lamp to makeup for the lamp issues on the 8700ub.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #184 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I am having some of those pixelation problems as well and it is pretty annoying. It's much worse on standard DVD's of course. I calibrated my PJ with calman and a colorimeter last night and the colors and black levels were great but it seemed like the pixelation got worse. I watched a Metallica concert DVD, Cunning Stunts, and it was almost unwatchable. After poking around the menu I changed the "black level adjust" to high instead of off and it made a huge difference. Probably going to need a pro out here to fix it properly though.
post #185 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post

I am having some of those pixelation problems as well and it is pretty annoying. It's much worse on standard DVD's of course. I calibrated my PJ with calman and a colorimeter last night and the colors and black levels were great but it seemed like the pixelation got worse. I watched a Metallica concert DVD, Cunning Stunts, and it was almost unwatchable. After poking around the menu I changed the "black level adjust" to high instead of off and it made a huge difference. Probably going to need a pro out here to fix it properly though.

The solutions are in the vw60 tweakers thread. Also, if you can find a refurb DVDo-Edge device, you can get one pretty cheap, and it seems this has a chance of getting rid of the problem. However, I'm not sure if it really will get rid of it or not.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #186 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 08:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

The solutions are in the vw60 tweakers thread. Also, if you can find a refurb DVDo-Edge device, you can get one pretty cheap, and it seems this has a chance of getting rid of the problem. However, I'm not sure if it really will get rid of it or not.

Yeah I found some service menu adjustments and custom gamma curves from a guy in there. I'll try those out, recalibrate, and we'll see where that gets us.
post #187 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownalcohol View Post

How many has went through Sony, and purchased an extended warranty? It will still be a few months before I will have my HT room up and running.
How much is the warranty? What is the phone number to reach Sony about the extended warranty.

How are most people mounting this projector? Shelf or ceiling? I have someone coming over in a few days to help me place everything.

I found the number--purchase Sony Extended Service Plans online at Sony Style or call us at 1-866-374-0134 for assistance.
I did not see projectors in the list to buy the service plan online. I will call them Monday.

Purchased a 3-years extended warranty from Sony for $100 was quoted a 2-years for $60.
post #188 of 264 Old 04-10-2011, 11:11 PM

I bought a three year warranty for VW85. About 10% of pj cost.
post #189 of 264 Old 04-11-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

I am having some of those pixelation problems as well and it is pretty annoying. It's much worse on standard DVD's of course...

Could you post the Bluray disks and time where you see these artifacts? On standard DVD it is likely just compression artifacts. Unfortunately such artifacts are more likely to be visable on better pjs with higher contrast/higher gammas.
post #190 of 264 Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

Could you post the Bluray disks and time where you see these artifacts? On standard DVD it is likely just compression artifacts. Unfortunately such artifacts are more likely to be visable on better pjs with higher contrast/higher gammas.

The Tron blu-ray does it at the first part when the camera is going over the water. As far as the other blu-rays I don't have any time stamps or titles for that matter. Dark Knight doesn't do it but again I've only watched it with the black level adjust set to on. I'm trying to get Image Director 3 connected so I can upload some custom gamma curves that I found in the VW 60 tweaker's thread.
post #191 of 264 Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Have you tried grabbing a screenshot if it's a HTPC? Maybe it's on the original stream.
post #192 of 264 Old 04-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

No I don't have an htpc and my only camera is an iPhone.
post #193 of 264 Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
The Tron blu-ray does it at the first part when the camera is going over the water...
If you have a timestamp I will check out my VW85 and RS2. I will also ask a friend to check out a couple of VW70s he has in his company's screening rooms.

Maybe others on this thread can checkout their pjs and report back.
post #194 of 264 Old 04-16-2011, 09:12 AM

just orderd my cameras battery. Will be posting pictures soon .

Av123 Onix Rockets RS1000 , AV123 RSC200 BIGFOOT, B&W WM6 White, Denon AVR-4311CI 9.2
DIY Stereo Integrity SI 18" Subwoofer X2, HTPC Running XBMC 14TB , Roku HD Player
Sony VPL-VW70 Pojector, Xbox 360 250GB, Yamaha RX-V573
post #195 of 264 Old 04-21-2011, 02:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Just read post #1328 in the VW60 Tweakers Thread, doesn't sound like there is a fix for the pixelation issue .

Also found this in SXRD ages badly?

"Quote: Originally Posted by umr
I suspect it is thermal degradation of an adheasive on the SXRD chip, but I do not know for certain. The hotter you get these units the quicker they seem to fail. Image director is not likely to be a permanent fix. It will only get worse over time.

It is one of the reasons I own a JVC product myself."
post #196 of 264 Old 04-22-2011, 10:33 AM

Hi gang,

I actually purchased a used great condition VPL-VW60 for a slightly lower price about one year ago. I have to say it is a great projector. This was also my first projector. Bright scenes are incredible. In comparison to the original Epson 1080u, the picture is more film like. The colors are very nice with minor adjustments. Some have noted that the PJ is not very bright. I have a light controlled room on a 92 inch screen, so I have not had any problems. I use a light dimmer in my basement and can comfortably watch sports with plenty of ambient light.

Darker scenes do have the problems with pixelated artifacts. I do believe it is source dependent. Certain movies do great with dark scenes. However others the bluish pixels are much more noticeable. As you can see in the vpl-vw60 tweaker thread, individuals have devoted years and thousands of posts to the issue. For some, a professional calibration has cleared up the issue. For others, the issue continues to frustrate. This issue goes to a deeper personal level for some. I think if you spend your time waiting for the bluish pixels to arrive and focusing intently, you will not be happy. If you just sit and enjoy your movie, you will be thrilled.

Despite what others say, I have always been impressed at the build quality of Sony's higher end gear. The PJ is very solid. I purchased a new bulb with my projector and the internals are very nice and easy to work with. I do recommend skipping bargain basement bulb components. There is a difference with genuine Sony bulbs in terms of hours of life and possibly brightness/PQ.

After a year with my PJ, I am not seriously considering a move to a newer Epson or JVC. Having paid ~1200 for mine used, I am not willing to spend another $4K to get rid of the dark pixels. OTOH, a similar deal on the 85 next year would be compelling.
post #197 of 264 Old 04-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathinc View Post

just orderd my cameras battery. Will be posting pictures soon .

ready for the pics deathinc. I am getting nervous. There are some unhappy campers with these sony pj's. I am still a few months out before I have everything going for the HT room.
post #198 of 264 Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM

Hi Blown,

Have you already purchased your pj? Have you used a pj before? I wouldn't worry too much about it. In most cases, the picture is incredible. There are a few scenes that do demonstrate pixelation. Again, I think it is source dependent to some extent. I watched the latest Harry Potter which can be a torture test of dark scenes. There was minimal dark bluish pixelation with the exception of one scene in the middle. If you bought it at the b stock price, it is hard to beat. The very film like quality and color accuracy, IMO, would be hard to beat at that price even looking at today's newest budget projectors. This projector was $7999 two years ago. I would definitely try it out once your setup is complete. I think if you are miserable with it, you could probably sell it on ebay for more than you paid for it.
post #199 of 264 Old 04-24-2011, 08:54 AM

Just thought I would post some screen shots I had laying around...

post #200 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 01:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHoyaFan View Post

TJN did one of the more complete reviews of the VW70 a couple of years ago.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...sxrd-projector

Here are some more reviews

sound and vision

home entertainment

audio video

projector review

I also dug this up sony vpl vw70 calibration topic
post #201 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satang View Post

Purchased a 3-years extended warranty from Sony for $100 was quoted a 2-years for $60.

I called Sony, and was told I could not purchase an extended warranty. Since I had bought a B-stock refurbished projector I only had 90 day warranty.
What number did you call to get a warranty from Sony?
Did you tell them it was B-stock refurbished projector?

I would like to purchase an extended warranty since it will be a couple more months before I can get it installed.
post #202 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
^^^ blownalcohol, Just curious about your AVS member name...... Boats or cars? What type or style of which? Do you have a pic of the beast? Or......something totally different?
post #203 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownalcohol View Post

I called Sony, and was told I could not purchase an extended warranty. Since I had bought a B-stock refurbished projector I only had 90 day warranty.
What number did you call to get a warranty from Sony?
Did you tell them it was B-stock refurbished projector?

I would like to purchase an extended warranty since it will be a couple more months before I can get it installed.

I got a 2 year warranty from Sony on my AVS purchased vw60 for $79.99. The guy that answered knew exactly what I was talking about. He was amazed at the great deal.

Phone # is 1-877-471-7669

Good Luck!
EJ

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #204 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 09:24 PM

I bought a 3 years warranty. They offered me 1, 2, 3 and 4 years max based on the fact that this was a refurbished unit with 90 days. 90 days warranty is the threshold to extend the warranty. Anything less, and you are out of luck. They even told me I could cancel before the 3 month run out, else it starts automatically. The phone was in one of the B-Stock threads, try B-Stock Sony Sale or Post your experiences. The number's there for sure.
post #205 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Someone posted it already. Don't give up and call them. They know what this is, but hurry up, they will not let you add a warranty past the first 60 days (or maybe it's 90 days?) Hurry up! based on the fact that they also told me refurb only gets 4 years max, and not 5, and that the cost was a little higher than if buying refurb directly from Sony, they know exactly what they are doing.
post #206 of 264 Old 04-25-2011, 10:15 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

They offered me a 2 year max deal on my vw60, which I was fine with. I'll second the motion of "hurry up", because I called 37 days after purchase and the rep. said that he was bending the rules, but he would let it slide, because it's supposed to be done within 30 days of purchase. Take it for what it's worth, and good luck!

post #207 of 264 Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

I noticed on the sony website under product specifications it lists

Screen Size (measured diagonally) : 40" to 300"

Is it really possible to get a 300" image with this projector?

I've found some pretty large impressive sizes projected with a vw60.

151" screen from vw60 on youtube

and

outdoor 220" from a vw60
post #208 of 264 Old 04-26-2011, 08:32 AM

It is possible, but the results would probably not be great. If you were attempting those large sizes, you would need very good light control in addition to blacked out walls/ceilings. The outdoor pictures are pretty impressive, but I believe the picture looks a little washed out.
post #209 of 264 Old 04-26-2011, 10:35 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

They use those screen sizes for virtually all projectors, even with the first 16:9 LCD. They would give the same boilerplate stats in the CRT days.

post #210 of 264 Old 04-26-2011, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys for the correct # to call about buying a warranty for a refurbished product. The lady told me I had to call before 30 days. I was at 36 days. I explained that I had tried calling a different sony #, and was told there was not an extended warranty available for refurbished products. I was put on hold for a few mins. She came back, and said she would still be able to sell me the warranty. So if you are thinking about getting one do not wait around.

Also, did I get the right warranty/coverage. The email states " 4-year Service Plan for Televisions " $229.99

I assume that includes front projectors.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page