post #241 of 264 Old 07-19-2011, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVoth View Post
They have a flat rate repair program that runs $495 as long as I don't have panel damage. Not too bad.
Wow, that's alot better than some of the other companies out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 264 Old 07-19-2011, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
495 just to fix the Sony, was your homeowners insurance deductible over 500? I assume yes.
post #243 of 264 Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verge2 View Post

495 just to fix the Sony, was your homeowners insurance deductible over 500? I assume yes.

Yeah deductible was more that 2X that.
post #244 of 264 Old 08-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Got my projector back today from the Sony repair center. They honored the original manufacturer's warranty! I was shocked. I told them when I bought it, which was March of this year, I also told them the receipt specifically said "90 day warranty". They said it didn't matter what the receipt said, the unit was under warranty for 2 years. I even sent it to them in the box that said "sony b-stock" on it. Unusually good service from a major corporation like Sony.
post #245 of 264 Old 08-08-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I got a bstock 60 and people were buying extended warranties. I called Sony and registered my serial number and they said it was covered for 2 years, I asked them repeatedly to make sure.

I guess you confirmed it
post #246 of 264 Old 09-17-2011, 05:30 AM

Liked: 10
Sorry to resurrect a dead thread here, but I have an opportunity to get one of these at a price point similiar to you guys. It will be NEW and unused.

I am looking between this and an Epson 9350 (which I can't seem to find much on, but seems to be not as strong as this).

I will be in a dedicated home theater room in my basement (no windows - no outside light), 103" screen (1.3 gain), ceiling mount. Primary use is movies/TV/video games.

Are you guys generally happy with this? While I am concerned with brightness and quality, I am not in any capacity a hardcore videophile.
post #247 of 264 Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

I received a vw60 from the AVS deal. I run it on an 88" 1.0 gain Carada screen. I could not be happier with my purchase.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #248 of 264 Old 09-20-2011, 02:26 AM
Advanced Member

How many hours has everyone put on their projectors so far? Any problems or just stunning amazing movies
post #249 of 264 Old 09-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Ale View Post

How many hours has everyone put on their projectors so far? Any problems or just stunning amazing movies

500 or so. I had a couple of problems with the first one being a power surge which obviously isn't Sony's fault. But the last 2 Sunday's I've had this thing on from around 11 AM until 9 PM or whenever the Sunday night game is into the second half. When I would go to turn it off, the lens cover didn't close and the machine powered still off. I would try to turn it on with the remote and would get nothing. Try to turn it on at the unit itself, and still no response. Both times I has to unplug it and plug it back in. During the it's fine. No problems whatsoever. I wonder if maybe I'm keeping it on too long. Other than the dithering/black-blocking effect, this thing is awesome.
post #250 of 264 Old 09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have a vw60 from the AVS sale. I have 375 on mine.

Former USSB uplink operator.
post #251 of 264 Old 09-30-2011, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Other than the dithering/black-blocking effect, this thing is awesome.

Has the blocking effect diminished with the more hours you put on the bulb or has it stayed the same?
post #252 of 264 Old 09-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has the blocking effect diminished with the more hours you put on the bulb or has it stayed the same?

Stayed the same. It is really bad with 480i material. It's almost unwatchable honestly. If people stay with HD then it's hardly noticeable.
post #253 of 264 Old 10-21-2011, 02:21 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone used Image Director 3.0 to calibrate the VW70 themselves or paid someone to do it?

I noticed it was listed at a feature on the sony site.
post #254 of 264 Old 10-21-2011, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Has anyone used Image Director 3.0 to calibrate the VW70 themselves or paid someone to do it?

I noticed it was listed at a feature on the sony site.

Tried like hell but couldn't get ID 3 to connect on the laptop. Tried a USB to serial converter and a PCMCIA serial card and still couldn't get it to work. ID would "see" the projector but it would not allow the laptop to communicate with it. From what I've read, the software is a hit and miss thing kind of a deal as far as getting it to work. The only thing Image Director will do is allow you to adjust the projector's gamma, which is way off according to my meter and Calman software. Someone stated that they feel the black-blocking/dithering is because the gamma curves are off. They said it was coming out of the lower black levels too quickly. My next purchase is an iScan Duo which will allow me to adjust the gamma curves and hopefully fix the problem.
post #255 of 264 Old 10-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

OK, just bought a Lumagen Radiance XD from Spectracal. I've been playing around with it and I must say it is pretty complicated. Once I figured out the menu structure and how to navigate around, it made it easier. For those of us that have the pixelation issue (I'm pretty sure that's all of us), creating a custom gamma curve with Image Director, or an external video EQ is the only known fix. I never could get Image Director to work properly, so I couldn't tinker with the gamma curves in the PJ itself. However, the Radiance will allow me to fix the gamma tinkering issue I am having. If this doesn't fix the pixelation problem, then I'll be pissed.
I am using Calman 4 DIY Edition, and an X2 colorimeter. The Radiance has a built in signal generator, so that's what I will be using instead of an external disc and blu-ray player. I calibrated the projector without the Radiance in the chain first. I calibrated the black level, white level, grayscale, then CMS. RCP is off, Iris is off, Gamma Correction is off. I did have to go into the service menu to get the RGB settings to balance. I couldn't get the settings right with just the user menu. Also, I have completely turned off all noise reduction on the Sony. All video "processing" will be done by the Radiance.
I will upload, in the next couple of days, before and after screenshots from Calman to show the difference the Radiance can make in gamma curves, RGB balance, and the CMS. I will also upload some before Radiance and after Radiance screen shots from the Sony. By the way, does anyone know of any movies that cause the Sony to produce pixelation problems in a truly annoying fashion? Something where the entire screen gets unwatchable?
post #256 of 264 Old 10-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will upload, in the next couple of days, before and after screenshots from Calman to show the difference the Radiance can make in gamma curves, RGB balance, and the CMS.

Can't wait to hear about your results!
post #257 of 264 Old 10-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have about 180 hours on my vw 70 refurb from avs It does have the same problem but it only happens rarely when there is a very dark scene. i use black level on high and it seems to greatly reduce it. i also like the way it looks better on high. I still love the image it throws. I only use it for movies i have an epson 8700 that i use for tv and gaming. The epson has a great picture also it is just not quite as refined and smooth as the sony. I know the sony 50 and 60 have a similar problem . I think it is partially just inherint to the lcos technology with these particular units. I am also anxious to hear if you can get rid of it. I have been on the projector forums for almost 10 years , i have owned 9 different projectors and i dont ever remember any projecto discussed on these forums that has not had any issues. Remember most of us paid $1200 for these units. I paid $1600 for my infocus 4805 projector.
The underworld movies especially the last one are good ones to see the problem.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #258 of 264 Old 10-29-2011, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah the picture without a doubt is great, but it was bugging me. I will tell you that I do think the Radiance fixes the issue completely, from what I've seen on my screen. I will post the actual screenshots tomorrow or later this evening. For now, here are my Calman reports, before and after the Radiance.

Gamma curve w/no Radiance

Gamma curve with Radiance

The yellow line is the target. You can see in the second shot, it's nearly dead on. From what I've read on the VW60 thread, the gamma is the problem with these units as far as the pixelation is concerned. I put in Underworld on DVD to test it. I first took the Radiance out of the chain and used just my blu-ray player and my Integra DTC-9.8. I tested this with no scaling in the pre/pro and then I used the pre/pro to scale the 480i to 1080p. The results were the same. The scaled 1080p picture was noticeably better of course, but around the 30 minute mark, when Kate Beckinsale is driving the werewolf guy around, she passes out. There is a great example of this pixelation as they are driving off the road and into the water in the open night sky. Also, once they were in the water, it got pretty bad, as well. When I put the Radiance in the video chain, and take out the Integra pre/pro, the pixelation was completely gone, and the picture was nearly blu-ray quality.

Here is the grayscale before the Radiance

And after

The line graph looks a little better without the Radiance, but the DeltaE chart is what's more important here. The goal is to get all levels under 3. With the Radiance, I was able to get almost all of them under 3 and except for 100%, but it was very close, so I said to hell with it.

Here is the Color Gamut before

After

This cal took a while and they are still not perfect. I don't have an $8,000 meter, I have a $300 one. Also, I'm inexperienced when it comes to this video science stuff and still have much to learn. That being said, these cals aren't ISF or THX quality, but they are better than the Video Essentials eyeball calibration. I'm not just saying that because I paid for a meter and software either. Obviously, the Radiance helps. The colors are absolutely outstanding. I will post some actual screenshots soon so you guys (looks like there are only a handful of us left), can see the results.

Jeff
post #259 of 264 Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Well, my digital camera no longer works. I'm not much of a photographer and my iPhone camera is not up to the task. As soon as I get a new camera I'll post some screenshots. Sorry. The Radiance is a bad ass toy though.
post #260 of 264 Old 11-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Jvoth any updates as to the blotchiness problem

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #261 of 264 Old 11-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Jvoth any updates as to the blotchiness problem

Dan,
I don't have a camera that can take screenshots with a high enough quality. I will be buying one soon. However, I have been doing some calibrating and tweaking and have dialed this thing in to a very high quality calibration. I also bought a new more accurate meter. I will post screenshots of the new cal once I get it to where I want it. I've learned quite a few new things from the Video Calibration thread. I'll get some Underworld screenshots up as soon as I can.

Jeff
post #262 of 264 Old 11-25-2011, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Looks like just a few of us left on this thread. Glad you have gotten rid of most of the problem. It sounds like you are having fun learning how to use the cal tools. I know nothing about that kind of calibrating. Could you point me in the right direction on what i should buy to do a decent calibration without spending 1000s. I plan on keeping my sony for while and it is about time i learned how to do more than just using the video essentials disk.

Dan Webster
Never stop upgrading!

Updated Theater Pictures

post #263 of 264 Old 11-25-2011, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan webster View Post

Looks like just a few of us left on this thread. Glad you have gotten rid of most of the problem. It sounds like you are having fun learning how to use the cal tools. I know nothing about that kind of calibrating. Could you point me in the right direction on what i should buy to do a decent calibration without spending 1000s. I plan on keeping my sony for while and it is about time i learned how to do more than just using the video essentials disk.

I use Spectracal's Calman Software. Go to their website and you can see their packages. I use their DIY version and the iOne Display meter. I think it's about $300. You can also get a Radiance for $1000, which is $3500 off retail. Just let me know and I can get you a coupon code for the discount on that.
post #264 of 264 Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

After a year of owning the VW70 I decided to install and fine tune the gamma using Image Director3. The software is not immediately intuitive, but it's very powerful when combined with a good meter. I used an X-rite i1 Pro and Calman software.

Bottom line: I don't know why I waited so long. The best gamma I could get before was ~1.9 with Gamma 4. After tuning I was able to get a relatively flat 2.2. I never though the picture looked washed out before, but flipping back and forth revealed a massive difference in perceived black levels and POP. The black pixelation I was seeing before is virtually gone. Well worth the effort!

FYI - I used a 32-bit version of Win7 with a USB to serial adapter and null modem serial cable (cross). As far as I know the software will not run on a 64 bit OS.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page