Marantz projector problems and US purchase? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I purchased my Marantz proj. in Jan. of this year there were no demo's available in the Metro Detroit area. There were no local authorized dealers who had even heard of this projector. My decision to purchase from Japan was based on my belief that any blind purchase should be made at the lowest possible price, particularly on a new product. I expect that service will be available to me at a reasonable price should I ever require it. I do not expect free warranty coverage short of sending the unit back to Japan. I do resent the mischaracterizations of the motivations of myself and others like me who choose to conserve there hard earned dollars by not spending an extra $6,000. for some unknown "authorized" dealer to order the thing from the same damn place we did.
Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 08:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
mciucci,

We both have similar experiences and logic in our Japan purchase.

However you need to remember that the US Marantz dealers cost is even higher than what we paid in Japan. Working back from the retail prices, $12,500 in the US and $7,500 in Japan, a 60% dealer cost would be $7,500 in the US and only $4,500 in Japan. Marantz is clearly setting the US pricing on the competion's prices (Sharp/Sim2/Runco). And I have nothing against that.
post #93 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First off, I keep seeing everyone giving kudos to Dan. What has he done for anyone here? Has he helped anyone? Given the service menus? Helped those who bought from far away lands? Exactly what has he done to deserve the accolades some here are bestowing on him? All I hear is that he is waiting for some dudes from Japan to come to America to see what others here are bitching about and then *our* fixes (if found) will only come from authorize dealers. Big f'ing deal. I want to hear about solutions for *all* those that have bought this pj who are having problems, then I will bestow accolades.
I would advise all who want to buy this pj, to think long and hard about their decision.
post #94 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Dan Miller wrote:
I'm sitting in my hotel at 7:20 PM in a georgeous location in So. Cal. ...
I'm sitting here in front of a laptop writing this, smoking a Padron 1964 Anniversario Torpedo, which is a pleasure I usually allow myself when I feel good.
Dan did do some good MichaelZ.

He reminded me that James Bond is on tonight...

And PF (or whatever your real name is)... stow the language.
post #95 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

MichaelZ,

First off Dan is LISTNING! That's pretty valuable in this day and age. You seem to be in a send only mode.

You think the engineers are coming over from Japan for their health? Dan probably spent lot's of time making that happen.

What's with the service menu issue? He explained pretty clearly that it is restricted only to authorized repair centers. Seems like a pretty good answer to me. I wouldn't want someone posing as a dealer having service menu acess either.

You are right that anyone contemplating the purchase of something direct from Japan should think long and hard. Especially those living in areas where they can't find independent troubleshooting and repair facilities.

Remember that Dan is the Marantz TRAINING DIRECTOR. Warranty issues, especially in regard to US vs Foreign sources are made at a lot higher level than Dan. And Marantz still has a lot better warranty coverage than lots of high-end AV manufacturers.
post #96 of 163 Old 04-19-2002, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
MichaelZ,

First off Dan is LISTNING! That's pretty valuable in this day and age. You seem to be in a send only mode.

You think the engineers are coming over from Japan for their health? Dan probably spent lot's of time making that happen.

What's with the service menu issue? He explained pretty clearly that it is restricted only to authorized repair centers. Seems like a pretty good answer to me. I wouldn't want someone posing as a dealer having service menu acess either.

You are right that anyone contemplating the purchase of something direct from Japan should think long and hard. Especially those living in areas where they can't find independent troubleshooting and repair facilities.

Remember that Dan is the Marantz TRAINING DIRECTOR. Warranty issues, especially in regard to US vs Foreign sources are made at a lot higher level than Dan. And Marantz still has a lot better warranty coverage than lots of high-end AV manufacturers.

Agreed! Well said Carl. Let the man do his thing.

MovieMan
post #97 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 06:09 AM

Carl, I'm sorry you don't understand the Service Menu issue. It's about an important adjustment for pixel clock, which syncs the projector to whatever your source is, reducing herringbone and pixel jumpiness, and greatly enhancing picture quality.

You'll know if you need it by shutting down Windows. When you Start|Shut Down, the screen fills with an 'every other pixel black' pattern. The ridiculous artifact I get, I call "Stadium Ceiling".

"Do his thing"? They've already said NO to me, and to all those who have lost, or will lose, a bulb. MovieMan, were you offered some kind of deal?
post #98 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 06:24 AM

Dan has been of great value in helping me understand and tweak my projector settings. I appreciate his help greatly. Thanks Dan!
post #99 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Leckian, I am not "confused" about anything, and do not need you to point out the obvious. First off, I have never had the occasion to buy anything outside the US. Second, the fact is that many US customers are being asked to pay around $4000- $6000 more than a Japanese customer for what amounts to a US warranty. Other members have pointed out numerous weaknesses in the support system here, nor any US service centers. In my book that is a very expensive insurance policy and something doesn't seem right about that to me, that is all. I stated earlier that I would not buy the Marantz DLP at this time, and that is my way of excercising my power as a consumer. Another issue is what is implied by any warranty. Basically I think if something goes wrong with a product within a warranty's time the manufacturer should fix it, period, and I am trying to influence corporate opinion to adopt that position.
post #100 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Carl & Movieman, I see you guys are pleased with your Marantz's and think Dan is doing a bang-up job, I'll just leave it at that. I see no point in a Japanese engineer coming to America to see problems that are no further away than the nearest Marantz pj. I don't think the the sync, flickering, shimmering, etc. problems only happen on American soil but if this comforts everyone then what can I say?
post #101 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

MichaelZ,

No one has said that either Dan or Marantz are doing a "bang up job". The lack of a US service facility is a severe problem for such a high profile product. But it is at least obvious that they are listening, and that's more than most companies do.

But we have over 40 AVS members that have reported owning these projectors and very few of you guys have reported the problems, so they are not widespread.

If I had a flickering problem on my unit here in the Silicon Valley I would likely have an answer by now from local service facilities. Around here we have world class designers that have been able to diagnose subtle problems I've had in amps even without circuit diagrams. I would not have taken the chance on a projector with no warranty without having this capability close at hand. It's just a shame that Marantz still has no US repair capability yet. Part of your problem is that apparently you know of no one locally that can troubleshoot these types of problems.
post #102 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 09:12 AM

All,

If you have read any of my messages, you will clearly see that I do not agree with Marantz's policies. I still feel a lot of people were mislead. However, this doent mean we have to attack one or their employees. Especially one that IS LISTENING and trying to find what ails are projectors. The flicker may be a minor cost to fix and something very simple, I for one would not like to send this thing to Japan for 600.00 (Roundtrip), just for a low cost fix, and stilll not have the guarantee it wont be fixed. I still hope that Marantz AT THE VERY LEAST will allow us to service them here, even if its out of pocket. Thats where we will have to patient, and see if they get a facility up.

Carl brings up another excellent point, about finding an independant repair shop with the know how, if fixing these things. I know Box Light claims, they can work on ANY projector. Do not know how good they are, but its a start.

Carl, if you could possibly list some companies that will do this, I for one would be interested. Or if its not allowed, please PM me.

MovieMan
post #103 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 03:09 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Frankly I think those who are still Dan bashing are simply not listening and reading carefully. Not only is he listening, he's *participating*, and he's trying to rectify the situation. We should be appreciative of his participation and efforts.

For each of the instances where he's said 'no' to someone the explanation he's given has been entirely plausible and acceptable. Further bitching just makes you sound like a bitter, cry-baby, sore loser (anon coward comes to mind).

So, thanks Dan. I appreciate you efforts and I love my PJ, flicker and all. I'll love it more when the flicker is fixed too.

TM

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #104 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 03:52 PM
QQQ
AVS Addicted Member

Dan:

Just one more thank you to let you that I am another visitor here (and a dealer, but not for Marantz) that appreciates your participation.

To those of you that don't think Dan is doing anything to help - it sure seems to me he is. Problems like this can take a while to fix. The fact that Dan is acknowledging the fact that the problem exists this early in the process is a huge step forward and very unique. And it clearly indicates a desire to make things right.

Many companies that experience QC problems refuse to admit they even exist. Or they only admit them after they have a fix or are forced to. Just look at the FireStone tire problems for God's sake.

Some years back I had some problems with a voice mail system. Exchanged it - still had the problems. Called the company countless times. They tried to convince me the problem was due to our local telephone company. After going through this for a year, they all of a sudden release a firmware fix for the problem that had never existed.

Dan is a breath of fresh air.

Dan, I do think you should modify your warranty statement and make it crystal clear for people. Yes, it seems clear to us and others, but that is looking at it through our viewpoint. You should not leave any room open for misinterpretation. It would take one or two extra sentences to do that.
post #105 of 163 Old 04-20-2002, 04:14 PM

I've stayed out of this conversation for awhile but now I feel I should throw my two cents in.
I own a Japanese Marantz and I have to say it has the best picture I've seen on a home theater projector. I actually had $ down on an incoming Sharp at a local dealer that never showed up. So, I canceled the order and bought the Marantz.
I love it but I have the "bad mirror" problem. The unit develops a vertical colored then white stripe of non-working mirrrors. I lived with it for about a month and it didn't seem to go away. I took a few photos of the problem and sent it to Japan for repair. I't's been about a month and the Dealer says they can't duplicate the problem so they won't exchange it for a new one. I informed them That I wouldn't spend $500 to ship back and forth if there was no problem. The unit is now at Marantz service and I am awaiting some news. I hope it gets resolved soon as I have a new Firehawk and have never seen the Marantz on it!
As for Dan Miller, I think he is just being honest about Marantz USA's position. Each company sets its own rules and regs. I also know from experience that these rules can be bent to satisfy a customer if need be.
I hope that Marantz will embrace the problems and find away to satisfy the majority. It's just good business.
post #106 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by anthonymoody
Frankly I think those who are still Dan bashing are simply not listening and reading carefully

For each of the instances where he's said 'no' to someone the explanation he's given has been entirely plausible and acceptable. Further bitching just makes you sound like a bitter, cry-baby, sore loser (anon coward comes to mind).
OK Anthony, when you need help we'll be sure and remember this.

Maybe you'll have the same problems we have.

We have defined the issues. So now we see what happens.
post #107 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
People who are smart enough to know that the Marantz is a good HT projector are also savvy enough to have read about the dangers and risks of buying on the gray market and outside authorized channels. To be bashing an Marantz America rep, because they gambled and didn't win is just ludicrous. These people are the typical take all the credit when they can types and then blame someone else when they fail. They deserve to be stewing in their own juices.

Lenny Eckian
post #108 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Lenny you're entirely right. Bottom line is these people gambled and lost. Whether they appreciated the risks they were taking is perhaps a different issue - and it seems that Marantz' policy wording could have been more clear. But in any case a chance was taken, and it went against them. When you gamble, you can lose.

Anon - I'm not sure who you're referring to as 'we' when you say that 'we'll be sure and remember this.' There are *plenty* of reasonable people on these and other forums with whom I have and continue to exchange information, ideas, opinions, advice and thoughts. I will continue to do so with *them*. The loss of you and yours is no loss to me. And if you had read my posts carefully you'd see that I do have some of the same problems. My PJ flickers. Am I confident Marantz will figure this out and fix it? Yes. Am I confident that the avenue through which I purchased my PJ will allow the fix to be made available to me cheaply/free? Yes. I'm giving the benefit of the doubt until proven wrong. In the meantime I'm greastly enjoying my PJ.

MikeZ: your comment to lenny comes pretty close (in addition to revealing you as micro encephalic) to directly breaking forum rules. I suggest you read them. People have been booted from this place for much less than calling someone an a-hole.

TM

Double True!
post #109 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 07:41 AM
Advanced Member

Lenny,

Once again, we come to a fork in the road.

What most of us are trying to concentrate on in this thread are the issues with the Marantz projector that have surfaced recently (i.e. flickering, wavy lines, etc.), NOT about the grey market purchases.

Let me remind you that one or two people are "bashing" Dan. These guys don't represent the majority.

That being said, what we're anxiously (and patiently) waiting for is a resolution to the problem by Marantz and the trickle-down effect of the resolution to ALL Marantz owners.

I'm following this thread, not because I've seen any problems (which thankfully I haven't), but because I'm interested in the final outcome.

I personally don't know how they're going to elevate this projector to get any better than it already is. I guess we're just going to have to wait and see.
post #110 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 07:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

vdelauz,
i don't particularly read lenny's posts to imply any broad generalization of the majority on the forum. i believe he is speaking to the few who have very actively and obviously attacked dan. in any case, i agree with you - i am waiting patiently in intently for marantz to develop a fix for the flicker problem.
TM

Double True!
post #111 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

anthonymoody, were did I call someone an a-hole? Seems Lenny was the one calling some of the people here names. Who made you moderator for a day? Seems like you are also one for calling someone names - or is it that you and Lenny are so much better than the rest of us, you can label anyone as you wish? I can only hope that your pj runs as well as some of the "rest" of us Marantz users to give you a mighty fine taste of their services you have already paid for.
post #112 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Was hoping I'd never have to type this, but my PJ has begun to flicker (#(*$$^&#(^&#).

Will hopefully and patiently wait for Marantz to come up with a fix. At least the bulb still works (*sound of knocking on wood*).

Just call me Mike.
post #113 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 08:55 AM

Jetlag - Sorry to hear that.

All - I'm wondering if the problem does in fact exist in the power supply, and slowly but surely its taking down other parts of the projector with it. Hence the problems that slowly arise after time. Broken bulb, faulty mirrors, my flicker becoming more frequent,and anything else we mentioned.

I guess the question should be - If we continue to use our projectors before a possible fix, will we mess up other areas of the projector? If that is the case, then for those of us without US warranties, may be in for an expensive fix, if in fact other parts of the projector are failing because of it.

This is not a thread to scare anyone, as I have VERY LITTLE knowledge of how these things work, but just a thought.

MovieMan
post #114 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

MichaelZ,
It seems that the moderators did in fact agree that your post was over the line - they've *deleted* it from the thread. You specifically said you thought he was the type of person who's 'type' *your word' begins with an A. Given the thread, your tone, it was 100% clear what you meant. The moderators agreed.

And for the record, I never claimed to be the moderator, or better than anyone else. But I AM a fan of open, well-intentioned exchange of information and ideas - something most people around here are grateful for. THe kinds of personal attacks launched by you and anon coward have no place here.

TM

Double True!
post #115 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

anthonymoody, I don't care one way or the other if the moderators here deleted my posts. I could care even less if I am booted from the board. It looked too me that myself and others were being attacked by yourself and others for our opinions and purchases. I was offended by the post and I will speak my mind. If the narrowed view moderators only see one side then so be it - I obviously wasn't asked my opinion and I guess you and the moderators have wonderful powers of mind reading.
BTW, you don't have to claim to be better, you posts say it - as you say "it was 100% clear what you meant".
post #116 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Michael, if I wanted to make a case for being superior I would attack your lousy grammar, sentence structure and spelling, not your opinions and purchases. And for the record, I have no problem with your purchase or the method. Buying a Marantz gray market from Japan is fine *if* you understand the inherent risks. So that *if* something goes wrong you understand a priori that you may be somewhat disadvantaged. Moaning about it after the fact is silly. If people know the risks, they have to accept the consequences. If you bought through 'approved' channels, enjoy your PJ while Marantz works out fixes to the problems. And don't assume they won't until they don't.

And as for being a mind reader, feel free to explain what you meant by the A word if the moderator and I were wrong.

TM

Double True!
post #117 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 12:05 PM
AVS Club Gold

btw MovieMan,
Very interesting thought on the power supply. One thought I had was to plug the Marantz into the Monster voltage stabilizer (I think it's the model 5000 hts or somthing like that)..it's supposed to deliver flat 120, important in households with highly variable power. It was well reviewed in WSR. Unfortunately:

a) I don't have one
b) I don't want to run a 30 foot extension cord from my PJ to my equipment rack :)

TM

Double True!
post #118 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I agree that it could be some kind of power supply issue. The thing that I'm not clear about is if its the blub that causes the change in brighness or something in the DMD panels.

John Moschella

John Moschella
post #119 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Hope you all can get to the bottom of these problems soon. Good luck.
post #120 of 163 Old 04-22-2002, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

anthonymoody, you are boring me :0
Glad to see you belong to the grammer police as well. I will not respond to anymore of your posts. I wish they had an ignore feature on this board.
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page