post #271 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

The issue with a possible 5000 model is timing. Everyone is assuming it will come out in two months. There seems to be tons of 4000 out there, but maybe Panasonic will wait until release the new model until 4000 diminishes to nothing

As for pricing dropping, yeah maybe dealers would dramatically drop their price on the 4000 if the 5000 were released tomorrow, but i think dealers would probably start selling them at cost and then maybe slightly below cost. I personally think Panasonic will wait as not to hurt their dealers. If the dealers get screwed over, no one will order large quantities of new Panasonic models

Well if they want to stay current and competitive, then it's time to clear the 2009 tecnology out of the market and introduce the 5k. Panasonic needs to take the hit. Just grab that bandaid and rip it already Rebate us!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 291
What percentage of Bluray movies are 3D now? 3% maybe tops, I'd guess. (or how many will be within the 3-5 years, on the outside, I expect to keep a new projector bought now before moving on to a new one?)

If it were only marginally more expensive I'd say sure, go for it, but at 175% the price of the PTAE4000 I can't justify it. I'd rather spend the money on 2D movies, a secondary projector, etc. (heck, within a few months I might be able to buy 2 Pannasonic 2D projectors for $3500 considering it's $4000 now, maybe even less, and the prices I assume will fall )

I'm holding off till 3D without glasses appears, I think, which they are working on now.

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #273 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m. zillch View Post

What percentage of Bluray movies are 3D now? 3% maybe tops, I'd guess. (or how many will be within the 3-5 years, on the outside, I expect to keep a new projector bought now before moving on to a new one?)

If it were only marginally more expensive I'd say sure, go for it, but at 175% the price of the PTAE4000 I can't justify it. I'd rather spend the money on 2D movies, a secondary projector, etc. (heck, within a few months I might be able to buy 2 Pannasonic 2D projectors for $3500 considering it's $4000 now, maybe even less, and the prices I assume will fall )

I'm holding off till 3D without glasses appears, I think, which they are working on now.

I think if you're going to compare %, we should factor out all the old bluray movies that weren't done in 3D.

So a fair question to ask would be, what % of current movies being released on bluray are 2d only.

The fact that the 7000 will do 3D on any movie is quite a neat little feature. But that's just a gimmick in my opinion.

I'd be more inclined for passive 3D projectors instead of the active ones. From my knowledge only LG has a passive projector.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/cf3d/
post #274 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
i dont know if this is true, but i have heard the passive projectors have more crosstalk when compared to the active ones.

i currenty have a 4000 and love it, but 3d has really got my interest, and the 5000's increased brightness would be very welcome, since i do not have a light controlled room.

i always thought that the projectors life was greatly reduced with more heat and light, mostly because of the polarizers (seems all the older pannys have at some point burned a blue one)

is it possible this could also be an issue with this newer, hotter bulb?
post #275 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 02:11 PM
AVS Special Member

From Projector Central for FWIW:

• Smooth-screen filter. Panasonic home theater projectors are famous for their Smooth Screen technology--essentially a filter that removes visible pixelation. The AE4000 has this same feature. We used to think that Smooth Screen reduced the sharpness of the image. It does not. Keep in mind when setting up a competing projector with the AE4000 in a side by side test, the "0" settings on the sharpness menus are not identical. Panasonic's models always have the sharpness setting default to zero with no artificial edge enhancement. Competing models usually default to zero also, but their so-called "0" setting often has some built in edge enhancement. On such models, the sharpness control needs to be turned off, or down to -5 or -10 depending on the model in question, to equal what Panasonic models are already defaulted to. Conversely, you can turn the sharpness setting on the AE4000 up to +5 or so to more closely approximate what 0 is on competing units. Once you balance out the edge enhancement, there is no significant difference in image sharpness between the AE4000 and other models in its price range. And if you boost the Detail Clarity Processor to +3 or +4, you get an extremely sharp picture with an abundance of detail definition.
post #276 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1lee View Post

I think if you're going to compare %, we should factor out all the old bluray movies that weren't done in 3D.

So a fair question to ask would be, what % of current movies being released on bluray are 2d only.

Not sure why you say that. Even if for some really odd reason I was to chuck in the garbage all my existing DVDs and Blurays that I currently own, or not allow myself to play them for some reason I can't think of, and start my collection from scratch right now buying exclusively BDs, not DVDs, I'm still just as likely to buy older movies that aren't brand new 2010/2011 movies, so your way of thinking doesn't apply to me.

I just looked it up. My 3% guesstimate figure was too big by a factor of two. Including new releases coming out that have been announced for later release this year or next, there are, as of today's date, 104 total 3D bluray movies out of the 6666 total. That's 1.56% of BD movies, including annouced releases, are 3D as of today. [and about 1/3 of those are animations, which are not my typical fare, although I do watch some.]

In A/V reproduction accuracy, there is no concept of "accounting for taste". We don't "pick" the level of bass any more than we get to pick the ending of a play. High fidelity is an unbiased, neutral, exact copy (or "reproduction") of the original source's tonal balance, timing, dynamics, etc..

post #277 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I think no vertical stretch in 3D, you will need a Limagen mini for that.

Ouch! That adds significantly to the cost. I wonder why this capability is not built in to the projector? Does it eat up too much memory?
post #278 of 1396 Old 08-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd be more inclined for passive 3D projectors instead of the active ones. From my knowledge only LG has a passive projector.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/lg/cf3d/

Hopefully, a Panasonic model as well...
post #279 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 03:10 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Ouch! That adds significantly to the cost. I wonder why this capability is not built in to the projector? Does it eat up too much memory?

An oppo 93 or 95 is another option

Quote:

Multiple Zoom Modes - The BDP-95 supports multiple levels of aspect ratio control and image zooming, including a vertical stretch mode for customers with a 2.35:1 CIH (Constant Image Height) display system. A unique subtitle shift feature allows the user to move the subtitle up and down, making it possible to see all subtitle text when using a 2.35:1 CIH display. (Blu-ray discs with BD-Java may prohibit zoom operation.)

post #280 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks Mark for the info.

For some of us buying from AVS is the only option. Plus we know what your service means before and after the sale. When I buy my next PJ (hopefully shortly after Cedia) AVS will be the only place I look at. Which PJ I buy depends on the cost some but also with how the PJ performs due to the word of mouth opinions of this board. If I was to buy right now it would depend on which deal is the best between the Sony HW30 and the Panny PTAE7000, but I would most likely be buying it from AVS.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #281 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Thanks Mark for the info.

For some of us buying from AVS is the only option. Plus we know what your service means before and after the sale. When I buy my next PJ (hopefully shortly after Cedia) AVS will be the only place I look at. Which PJ I buy depends on the cost some but also with how the PJ performs due to the word of mouth opinions of this board. If I was to buy right now it would depend on which deal is the best between the Sony HW30 and the Panny PTAE7000, but I would most likely be buying it from AVS.

Can you give us some practical examples of how buying from AVS is different than buying from other dealers? The store site doesn't do much to sell their dealership. What else do I need besides a good price, safe/fast delivery, and a decent return policy? Other than being a trustworhty seller, does AVS do something else special?
post #282 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

To start off with I have only bought from AVS since I bought my first Sony HD TV back through a group buy in 2003. So I cannot give an opinion about other online dealers. I usually do not have an option from buying from a B&M store. When I bought my current PJ back in 2007 Jason helped me choose which one, plus what mounting hardware I needed for my setup. It all came in when it was supposed to.

To some extent being on this forum and reading what these guys think helps in the choice some. When I ordered my HP screen Bobbie helped me choose what I wanted and again it was delivered when it was supposed to be. It is nice to actually call and ask for a particular person and it seems like you already know this person.

The best deal plays into the decision, but so far AVS has always gave me the best deal. If there happens to be a problem they will help you get it resolved. It also helps to know what the cost is prior to calling AVS. For example Projector People has the PTAE7000 on their website site right now for $3499 which is MSRP (I think).

post #283 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwt View Post

An oppo 93 or 95 is another option

is the Oppo option a memory feature like the panny?
post #284 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

and I assume AV Science (or any US dealers) will not be allowed to sell them to Canadians?

They can sell them to Canadians, they just can't ship them to Canada. Have it shipped to a UPS Store in Buffalo, drive down, pick it up, and import it yourself. It's cheap (sometimes you can get free shipping within the USA), and often faster. I did that with my AE4000 (Seatle to Ogdensburg) and it was a great way to go.

The one thing you never want to do is use UPS to ship across the border!

Mike
post #285 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post

Mike
Mike,
a little different than FEDEX, but because you use a ground service for UPS, they have that unnecessary broker fee. If you use the expedited (3 day) service, UPS waives all brokerage fees as does Fedex.

Sometimes shipping 3 days with UPS would cost the same as Ground + Brokerage fees.

Unless you can get UPS to allow you to self broker the product, but depending on where you are, you would need to drop by UPS at airport road to pickup the paper work.
post #286 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 10:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Sargent View Post
They can sell them to Canadians, they just can't ship them to Canada. Have it shipped to a UPS Store in Buffalo, drive down, pick it up, and import it yourself. It's cheap (sometimes you can get free shipping within the USA), and often faster. I did that with my AE4000 (Seatle to Ogdensburg) and it was a great way to go.

Mike
+1. If you buy a lot, a box rental at a UPS store in Buffalo pays for itself in no time. Even driving to Rochester isn't too bad from Toronto, around 3hrs or so.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #287 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 600
If you pick it up at your facility in NY or have it ship to any NY address, we must charge NY sales tax. There are other options. Call us to discuss.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #288 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Advanced Member

It seems places are taking pre-orders now but everywhere has it at the MSRP $3,499. Does anybody think the price will actually be lower or is everyone gonna charge full MSRP on this? I was hoping it would end up at $2,999 but it doesn't look like there will be any discount off MSRP which means I'm gonna have to wait longer to get it or get something else, maybe the 4000u.
post #289 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post
It seems places are taking pre-orders now but everywhere has it at the MSRP $3,499. Does anybody think the price will actually be lower or is everyone gonna charge full MSRP on this? I was hoping it would end up at $2,999 but it doesn't look like there will be any discount off MSRP which means I'm gonna have to wait longer to get it or get something else, maybe the 4000u.
where have you seen the pre-orders happening? i'm trying to get details here on it.
post #290 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
^^ Projectorpeople has it

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #291 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

from what i've been told. There has been no product specifications yet to actually have it setup for sale/preorder.

They are probably just doing this to get ahead of the game.
post #292 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Hutnicki View Post

Hurray, after 4 plus years of being invited to the Panasonic demos and getting to be one of the first to see the projector, we are finally going to sell it.

Glad to hear it; I bought my current projector through an AVS pre-buy (JVC RS-1) and I'm looking forward to getting the Panasonic the same way.
post #293 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Knd

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

Did you see the replacement lamp price ? - $799.
post #294 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

from what i've been told. There has been no product specifications yet to actually have it setup for sale/preorder.

They are probably just doing this to get ahead of the game.

Maybe/maybe not however you asked where was it available for "pre order" and I was just helping you out.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #295 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

post #296 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd View Post

This would be a big negative!!!!!!

post #297 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 600
Read the sticky please. No one has any pricing yet from the Panasonic distributors. Most of the distributors know nothing about it. So people are saying that they will be selling it but only listing the MSRP now.

We are taking pre interest orders now, not really an order, but that you might be interested in buying one when you know more and are communicated the price. By doing so, you get first opportunity when they come out and help us guage how large our initial orders should be. You are not commiting to anything but you will be among the first depending on how quickly you make your pre interest submission to us and we will give us a shot and we will give you a shout when we know more. What a deal.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #298 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM

Dont know what the bulb will go for, but the bulb last from 4000 -5000 hours
post #299 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

+1

Do I get a free island with that?

post #300 of 1396 Old 08-04-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:

Do I get a free island with that?

No just fries

I have no idea what your are referencing to
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page