Here's some from Projector Central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ntry_id=438&em
post #3 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
The new model will be known as the PT-AE7000U in North America, and the PT-AT5000E in Europe.

This is the first 1080p 3-D projector to utilize LCD technology. This has been accomplished with higher refresh rate 480 Hz panels.

Contrast rating is 300,000:1, up from 100,000:1 on the AE4000.

Lumen spec has been increased from 1600 lumens on the AE4000 to 2000 lumens on the AE7000, primarily by increasing lamp wattage from 165 to 200.

This unit has all new casework--more elegant than the industrial design of previous models.

Many of the features of the AE4000 have been brought forward in this new model, including the 2x powered zoom lens, Lens Memory for switching from 16:9 to 2.35, frame creation (including frame creation for 3D), splitscreen calibration, wave form monitor, etc.

MSRP is $3,499, with street prices expected to be lower. Delivery in the US commences in September.

Sounds good to me!!

I think this will be my next projector. People who think LCD panels are slower then LCOS will be in for a surprise. My Epson 6500 and Epson 8500 both had amazing motion and better then the JVC RS50. Makes sense to go with new LCD panels as LCOS is not capable (not sure why) of 2000 lumens. Even the upcoming Epson RLCD is only 1300.
post #4 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
well, lets see...
480 hz
300,000:1 contrast ratio
3D
2000 lumens!
lens memory?
$3499 street price?

Well, i'm sold

If the 3D is brighter (and it should be with the lumens) with little/no ghosting and if the blacks are triple what the 4000 had, that is what i'm getting. The price is VERY reasonable too IMO

edit: it will be interesting to hear how this thing actually looked. 3d ghosting/contrast/motion

And i guess i'm not really 100% sold, but i'd rather have this than the sony HW30 just for the light output. If JVC can get their stuff together and fix their issues (bulb dimming/input lag) then that will be nice too.
post #5 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Ohhh.... Seeing those specs gives me goosebumps..

Waiting with very bated breath for real world reviews.

Would be interesting to see a side by side with Sharp's 3D projector.
post #6 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 01:18 PM

Liked: 10
Great specs, will have enough time to go through reviews since my new home construction will take 3-4 months.. right on time.....
post #7 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
These certainly are exciting specs. My past few projectors have all be in the JVC RS line, but after this year's let down I'm ready to move on.

A few thoughts and questions:

1) The biggest question that jumps to mind is whether the black level could be excellent with all those lumens. What do you guys think? Clearly the lumens will be welcome for 3D as well as for those with larger screens. But just how good could the black level actually be pumping out all those lumens?

I'm used to the inky blacks from the higher end JVC RS models. Could this pj possible be as good in this area? Otherwise it would likely be a showstopper for me.

2) My past several pjs have all be SXRD or LCoS. I've never owned a LCD pj. Are these subject to the same type of convergence issues that we've seen with the JVC line (misconvergence etc)?

3) Are the LCD projectors known as being razor sharp? Improved sharpness is one key thing I'd like to get with a new pj but not sure if LCD is known for that and if it would likely be sharper than the JVC line.

4) Does the Panny line have CMS and 21 point grayscale control? If not I guess we could always get a 3D mini. But it would be nice if these controls were built in.

5) Are the fans on the Panny line known to be quiet? The JVC is exceptionally quiet. Also is the dynamic iris quiet when operating?

Looking forward to some great discussion about this promising AE7000.
post #8 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

These certainly are exciting specs. My past few projectors have all be in the JVC RS line, but after this year's let down I'm ready to move on.

A few thoughts and questions:

1) The biggest question that jumps to mind is whether the black level could be excellent with all those lumens. What do you guys think? Clearly the lumens will be welcome for 3D as well as for those with larger screens. But just how good could the black level actually be pumping out all those lumens?

I'm used to the inky blacks from the higher end JVC RS models. Could this pj possible be as good in this area? Otherwise it would likely be a showstopper for me.

2) My past several pjs have all be SXRD or LCoS. I've never owned a LCD pj. Are these subject to the same type of convergence issues that we've seen with the JVC line (misconvergence etc)?

3) Are the LCD projectors known as being razor sharp? Improved sharpness is one key thing I'd like to get with a new pj but not sure if LCD is known for that and if it would likely be sharper than the JVC line.

4) Does the Panny line have CMS and 21 point grayscale control? If not I guess we could always get a 3D mini. But it would be nice if these controls were built in.

5) Are the fans on the Panny line known to be quiet? The JVC is exceptionally quiet. Also is the dynamic iris quiet when operating?

Looking forward to some great discussion about this promising AE7000.

I Think if you are looking for a similar black level, you will be disappointed. As far as I understand it, NOTHING in this price bracket is as good for black levels as the JVC line up.

On the other hand, and what i'm weighing my decision on, is that if the sharpness, motion, brightness, and 3D are better than the JVC, then you are compromising a lot just for the better black level. It won't have a crappy black level, i bet it will still be great, just not incredible like the JVC.

It seems that to get a good 2d/3d projector, you have to compromise somewhere.
post #9 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

I Think if you are looking for a similar black level, you will be disappointed. As far as I understand it, NOTHING in this price bracket is as good for black levels as the JVC line up.

On the other hand, and what i'm weighing my decision on, is that if the sharpness, motion, brightness, and 3D are better than the JVC, then you are compromising a lot just for the better black level. It won't have a crappy black level, i bet it will still be great, just not incredible like the JVC.

It seems that to get a good 2d/3d projector, you have to compromise somewhere.

Very good points. Also when the contrast ratio is really high and the pj is bright, it can create the perception that the black level is actually better than it is. So that may help compensate for it.

Humm - I also wonder what the NATIVE contrast ratio will be for this unit. 300K:1 is very good obviously for a dynamic iris system, but at the end of the day you can only have contrast as good as the native on any one frame.
post #10 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
So, Panasonic upped the bulb to 200W. I hope the projector is still as silent as the previous model with the 160W bulb.
post #11 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I call BS on the specs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by conan48 View Post

Contrast rating is 300,000:1, up from 100,000:1 on the AE4000.

Is it still using the D7 panels? So we're going to be talking what 10,000:1 sequential contrast in calibrated mode? Cine4Home only got 7700:1 out of the AE4000 in Cinema1/Eco.

Quote:

Lumen spec has been increased from 1600 lumens on the AE4000 to 2000 lumens on the AE7000, primarily by increasing lamp wattage from 165 to 200.

So, maybe 700 Lumens in Eco and 1000-1200 in High lamp (calibrated of course.

Quote:

Many of the features of the AE4000 have been brought forward in this new model, including the 2x powered zoom lens, Lens Memory for switching from 16:9 to 2.35, frame creation (including frame creation for 3D), splitscreen calibration, wave form monitor, etc.

Blurovision, I mean Smoothscreen?

Quote:

I think this will be my next projector. People who think LCD panels are slower then LCOS will be in for a surprise. My Epson 6500 and Epson 8500 both had amazing motion and better then the JVC RS50.

That with or without Frame Interpolation?

Quote:

Makes sense to go with new LCD panels as LCOS is not capable (not sure why) of 2000 lumens.

Nor will this machine be, not in a remotely calibrated mode.

For those who need a refresher on Panasonic specs vs reality:
http://www.cine4home.de/tests/projek...E4000testa.htm

Anyway, I'm sure this is going to be hugely popular like the AE4000 was/is. But I'll be sticking with my Planar I think (unless something like the Vango or better comes out at a lower price point).

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #12 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
^^ Two things here.

1) Your link is NOT in English.

2) Why come here and "hate" on the Panny? Seems a waste of time to me.

Irish Copper Top Tavern & Theater

Theater Build Version 2.0 LOOK HERE

Cuzed Approved C.C.C. (Certified Column Counselor)

XBOX Live: Zz NiNj4 D4D zZ
post #13 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 04:44 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iusteve View Post

^^ Two things here.

1) Your link is NOT in English.

2) Why come here and "hate" on the Panny? Seems a waste of time to me.

A: ["stranger90," rather pinch-hitting]

1) Yeah, that's beause it's a German magazine. What, you don't speak Deutch?

(Try Google tranlate.)

2) I'm actually a big Panny fan. Hard to touch the Pic Quality vs. Value balance. And, featurewise, they're the one's to beat. Lens memory makes 2.35-1 guys very happy. And, yet--I think stranger89 was right on. Far from bashing, he was tellin' it like it is. The Pannys may ever be within sight of the top tier, but they really are never quite in it.

Those specs are so obviously inflated by a marketing guy. (I am one.) I doubt the contrast will be anything approaching 15% of that figure, calibrated in a proper environment.

It'll do what it'll do, and street for far less than anyone else's similarly-config'd, 3-chipper rigs (w/CMS, etc.)--and even their bottom line PJs.

Yee-ha...
post #14 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
I am curious to hear if the ghosting is the same/better/worse vs the JVCs.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #15 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Some pics.
LL
LL
post #16 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingdvd View Post

Humm - I also wonder what the NATIVE contrast ratio will be for this unit. 300K:1 is very good obviously for a dynamic iris system, but at the end of the day you can only have contrast as good as the native on any one frame.

My guess is 3k:1 to 5k:1 for 2D. I'm a fan of Panasonic for their price/performance, but with the AE4000 they basically setup one mode for specing the contrast ratio. My memory is that it only tried to go to the extreme levels of contrast ratio if you put it in high lamp and Dynamic (low lamp and Dynamic wouldn't even try it) and it would take more than 10 seconds of black images for the iris to close to the minimum.

Still likely to be a winner for a lot of people, but it is best not to expect contrast ratio like the JVCs (even JVC models from a 2-3 years ago).

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #17 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 06:51 PM

Here's a link to Home Theater's Scott Wilkinson giving his first impressions:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/p...-lcd-projector
post #18 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 155
The Epson 6500 measured around 5000:1 in best mode. Which would put it in the same category as the Sony AES30. Also the Epson LCD panels averaged higher ANSI contrast then any LCOS at the time.

I know this is not an Epson, but both used the same D7 3LCD chip.

I would also bet that this is a new D8 3LCD chip that Ekki hinted at. U can't triple contrast measurements using the same D7 chip which was already at it's maximum 2 years ago, and 480hz would also require a new chip.

Either way Can't wait. Getting rid of POS RS50 within the month and can't wait until December for the Epson equivalent. I know one thing for sure. I aint NEVER spending 7000.00 for a projector again!! and will never buy a JVC product again.
post #19 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 123
HERE is Art's blog from Projector Reviews on the new AE7000.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #20 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 07:07 PM

Art posted a "First Look" review of the Panny in his blog today.

His take,quote:

"So, from a quick look under unfamiliar conditions: Brighter than most 3D projectors, cleaner on ghosting and crosstalk, a reasonable price (you really didn't expect them to give you 3D for the same price as the AE4000 did you?) - and a classically extensive set of performance and consumer features!" "Great promise".

"One last thing. When Panasonic was asked "what took you so long", their answer was basically, "we wanted to get it right"."

"This gives me hope that my friends who object to the general lack of brightness of 3D, and often prefer the 2D version, only because of the brightness, may be swayed."

http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog...t-look-review/
post #21 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
My only issue with this projector would be the black levels and worry about dust blobs in the light path. Neither are much of a concern with my RS2 clone and if those two were as good as the RS2 in this area this one would be high on my list with all the great features and price point of this projector. After hearing all the complaints about the JVCs I wouldn't quite feel comfortable purchasing from them either and I certainly won't be buying their upper end models either because I think the added performance vs price point isn't worth the money.
post #22 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM

If the blacks of this new Panny matches my 8500UB, this will likely be the 3D projector that I'll purchase this fall.

I need lens shift for shelf mounting the projector at the center of my HP, and lens memory for 2D and 3D.

IMO, there's no way that this projector will be bright enough in 3D to fill my 159" 2.8 HP screen at 500-1000 hours; even in my true batcave (I'm a lumens freak).

A 110" image is the smallest screen size that's acceptable to me. Otherwise, why have a projector???

By setting the lens memory feature of the Panny at 110" for 3D, and at 159" for 2D, this projector would, hopefully, work for me in my HT room.

With CEDIA only 40 days away, I suggest that anyone who is thinking about purchasing a new 2D/3D projector, should wait for the new models. I am.
post #23 of 1396 Old 07-28-2011, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 278
the first impressions are conflicting. 1 is say it's dark in 3D, the other thinks it was bright.

it's a nice looking projector. This MSRP price point is getting competitive. The Panasonic, Sony HW30, RS40/X7, Sharp 17k & the upcoming Optoma and Mitsubishi 3D DLP models.

If they did sub 3k street, they could own the LCD market and Epson would have to match with a similar projector/price point.
post #24 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Just put my projector purchase on hold. Was just about to pull the trigger on a replacement for my RS10. We shall see how this unfolds. Looks very interesting, I could certainly use the brightness.

Click the link to see pics of my home theater

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/q...oom/?start=all
post #25 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 04:41 AM

Liked: 13
Does this projector use Panny's Smooth screen?
post #26 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Coming from the <$3000 forums, I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I think I can speak for most of us less rich guys in saying that getting 3D and "slightly blacker blacks and an additional pop – dynamic look, to the image" is not worth $1500 to us. That's like buying two projectors. I'd rather buy the 4000 now and then buy a new projector in a 3 years with the additional $1500 as prices continue to drop and features improve. Don't get me wrong, for someone really interested in 3D, this seems like a great projector at a good price, but a LOT of us don't even like 3D (I personally avoid it). I'm afraid that Panasonic is going to alienate a large portion of its customer base. Now, if they were able to sell this projector for $2500, then they would own a large portion of both markets. I'm not hatin, just sharing the common man's perspective.
post #27 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 05:38 AM

Liked: 12
Are they continuing the AE4000?
post #28 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by avswilier View Post

Are they continuing the AE4000?

I sure hope so. If they were to lower the price a little (and maybe offer a free bulb again), they might keep their hold on the lower price market. Companies get prideful though.

BTW, does anyone know if the 480 hz engine of the 7000 will affect game lag or motion resolution?
post #29 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Maybe I am the only one not sold on 3D, especially with active glasses. Probably will have to wait another 4+ years for more content, passive glasses and 2nd -3rd gen 3D hitting the projector market. Besides, I like the square, industrial look of my 4000. For the money vs. features, it's hard to beat these Pannys.
post #30 of 1396 Old 07-29-2011, 06:48 AM

Liked: 15
Well, I think I just found the replacement to my Epson 8350! =) Being that I have a 48" CIH setup in my HT, the memorized lens zoom and AR is a huge plus for me, besides the other spec goodies.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page