Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 110 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 7Likes

post #3271 of 3323 Old 07-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am trying to get my projector to turn on and off via the HDMI connection to my STR-DA5700ES receiver.

I have tried to enable all of the features as outlined in the manuals, HDMI Control on the projector and receiver enabled, enabling the HDMI auto power on feature on the projector. I also have the standby power set to standard on the projector as outlined in the manual.

When I enable the HDMI control on the projector I can see the receiver in the HDMI device list along with the connected sony BR player.

Turning the power on at the receiver has no effect on the projector.

If everything is turned off and I press the power button on the BR player the receiver turns on but not the projector.

Ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3323 Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomax View Post
I am trying to get my projector to turn on and off via the HDMI connection to my STR-DA5700ES receiver.

I have tried to enable all of the features as outlined in the manuals, HDMI Control on the projector and receiver enabled, enabling the HDMI auto power on feature on the projector. I also have the standby power set to standard on the projector as outlined in the manual.

When I enable the HDMI control on the projector I can see the receiver in the HDMI device list along with the connected sony BR player.

Turning the power on at the receiver has no effect on the projector.

If everything is turned off and I press the power button on the BR player the receiver turns on but not the projector.

Ideas????
HDMI isn't good.

Last time I struggled with it I understood you can make other components turn on the projector but must use the projector to turn off the other components.

It's just not good really... you need a better plan.

For my own use I use Roomie Remote and everything I have is controlled via the network. (I have an RS232 to Wifi adapter on the projector to give it the network control ability.)
post #3273 of 3323 Old 07-21-2014, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Hampton View Post
HDMI isn't good.

Last time I struggled with it I understood you can make other components turn on the projector but must use the projector to turn off the other components.

It's just not good really... you need a better plan.

For my own use I use Roomie Remote and everything I have is controlled via the network. (I have an RS232 to Wifi adapter on the projector to give it the network control ability.)
Thanks....

I just spoke with Sony ES customer support.. They could not explain why but claimed that the operation was correct. You can turn the projector on but not off.. I am already using roomie so I will just get a serial to wifi adapter.
post #3274 of 3323 Old 08-02-2014, 12:53 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Picked up a clearance HW30 - Good Deal?

Hi,

I just picked up a clearance HW30 for $1200. It came with the IR transmitter, but no glasses. Being familiar with Sony's SXRD projectors I figured this was a good price and I wouldn't get anything close to the same quality for the price. That all being said all current reviews and comparisons are for current models and you never know how things truly stack up to something old.

I guess my main question is, given the price I paid should I keep it. I have 30 days to return. I was looking at the Epson 5030 or the new Sony HW40. I understand both are well over 1K more and therefore I figured this was a great value purchase. However both projectors review-wise are better than the HW30. That then got me thinking if the models underneath these newer ones, being 2+ years newer technology might actually give the HW30 a run for it's money. For example the Epson 3020, which also comes with glasses, being a more current model is it close to the Sony HW30 or is the sony still superior. The Epson 3020 is/was on sale for $1399 so it would essentially be similar in price to the Sony since I will have to buy glasses for the Sony.

I do truly appreciate great PQ, and was ready to drop the $2500+, but being half the price I thought this seems like a smart purchase.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
post #3275 of 3323 Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have a similar question. I can currently get the 30ES on clearance for about 2/3 of the price of the 40ES and about half the price of the 55ES but I'm still not sure if it's a good deal since it's hard to find any comparisons between the 30ES and newer models. Contrast in 2D is my main concern. I currently have a defective F8500 plasma and I'm generally happy with its black levels so I would be happy with anything similar contrast-wise. But I'm not sure if this is a realistic expectation - this will be my first projector. The F8500 will of course be much brighter but I watch in a very dark room so can deal with the dimmer projector picture but I'm not sure how the black level of the 30ES would compare with a high-end modern plasma.

I have a couple of days to decide whether to try to get a replacement F8500 or go for the 30ES (or something in a similar price range) so any advice would be appreciated!
post #3276 of 3323 Old 08-04-2014, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhocker View Post
Hi,

I just picked up a clearance HW30 for $1200. It came with the IR transmitter, but no glasses. Being familiar with Sony's SXRD projectors I figured this was a good price and I wouldn't get anything close to the same quality for the price. That all being said all current reviews and comparisons are for current models and you never know how things truly stack up to something old.

I guess my main question is, given the price I paid should I keep it. I have 30 days to return. I was looking at the Epson 5030 or the new Sony HW40. I understand both are well over 1K more and therefore I figured this was a great value purchase. However both projectors review-wise are better than the HW30. That then got me thinking if the models underneath these newer ones, being 2+ years newer technology might actually give the HW30 a run for it's money. For example the Epson 3020, which also comes with glasses, being a more current model is it close to the Sony HW30 or is the sony still superior. The Epson 3020 is/was on sale for $1399 so it would essentially be similar in price to the Sony since I will have to buy glasses for the Sony.

I do truly appreciate great PQ, and was ready to drop the $2500+, but being half the price I thought this seems like a smart purchase.

Any thoughts are appreciated.
It is a smart purchase. I love my 30ES and I bought it at $2400(brand new) almost a year ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syllogistic View Post
I have a similar question. I can currently get the 30ES on clearance for about 2/3 of the price of the 40ES and about half the price of the 55ES but I'm still not sure if it's a good deal since it's hard to find any comparisons between the 30ES and newer models. Contrast in 2D is my main concern. I currently have a defective F8500 plasma and I'm generally happy with its black levels so I would be happy with anything similar contrast-wise. But I'm not sure if this is a realistic expectation - this will be my first projector. The F8500 will of course be much brighter but I watch in a very dark room so can deal with the dimmer projector picture but I'm not sure how the black level of the 30ES would compare with a high-end modern plasma.

I have a couple of days to decide whether to try to get a replacement F8500 or go for the 30ES (or something in a similar price range) so any advice would be appreciated!
I say go 30Es.

To both of you, I have heard that the 55ES takes the picture to the next level with the RC (Reality Control) technology. Takes internal contrast enhancement to the next level. I have a Darbee on my 30ES. Throwing 11.5' on a 100" Screen Innovations screen.

There are never failures, only challenges.
post #3277 of 3323 Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacman9270 View Post
It is a smart purchase. I love my 30ES and I bought it at $2400(brand new) almost a year ago.

I say go 30Es.

To both of you, I have heard that the 55ES takes the picture to the next level with the RC (Reality Control) technology. Takes internal contrast enhancement to the next level. I have a Darbee on my 30ES. Throwing 11.5' on a 100" Screen Innovations screen.
We still have a few b stock HW30's left at a great price - it is a great projector for the money !

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3278 of 3323 Old 08-05-2014, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Replacement Bulbs - Wide Price Variance

OK - so think I'm finally gonna replace the bulb after looking at the "Replace Lamp/Filter" message for about 6 months or so. (I have cleaned the filter several times).

I'm curious as to the advice of where to buy replacement bulbs.

Direct from Sony they are $370 for the "Breathe new life into your Sony home theater ES projector with this 200-watt ultra-high pressure replacement lamp compatible with projector models VPL-HW55ES, VPL-HW40ES, VPL-HW30ES, VPL-HW30AES, VPL-HW50ES and VPL-VW95ES."
http://store.sony.com/es-projector-replacement-lamp-zid27-LMPH202/cat-27-catid-All-TV-Lamps-Projector-Accessories

A more standard retailer (B&H Photo) has them for $289.99.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nt_Lamp_f.html

However, on Amazon I see ones listed for as low as $50.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-LMPH202-R...words=lmp-h202

Anyone have any experience/advice on where to buy replacement Sony bulbs?

-----------------------------------------------

"Blow, ye wind, like the trumpet blows. But without that noise."
post #3279 of 3323 Old 08-05-2014, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Do not buy cheap " after market " lamps. You're not going to get the same quality lamp. Give us a call at AV Science for a good price on a real Sony OEM lamp.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #3280 of 3323 Old 08-06-2014, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post
OK - so think I'm finally gonna replace the bulb after looking at the "Replace Lamp/Filter" message for about 6 months or so. (I have cleaned the filter several times).

Direct from Sony they are $370 for the "Breathe new life into your Sony home theater ES projector with this 200-watt ultra-high pressure replacement lamp compatible with projector models VPL-HW55ES, VPL-HW40ES, VPL-HW30ES, VPL-HW30AES, VPL-HW50ES and VPL-VW95ES."
http://store.sony.com/es-projector-replacement-lamp-zid27-LMPH202/cat-27-catid-All-TV-Lamps-Projector-Accessories

A more standard retailer (B&H Photo) has them for $289.99.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nt_Lamp_f.html

I suggest buying the OEM and buy it from AVS. I don't work for them. I've purchased my last two lamps from them though. Always buy the OEM.
AV Science Sales 5 likes this.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3281 of 3323 Old 08-21-2014, 08:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Price on this is back up. I got it at the $13.73 price so I ordered two. Not a good deal at $62.94 though.

Good price on 3D glasses if you need extras. I have the same style in large and they work perfectly with my HW30. I have the PS3 glasses and the image through the Xpand glasses is on par with but brighter than the PS3 glasses.

http://www.amazon.com/X104MX1BUNDLE-...words=xpand+3d

Last edited by SCHNEEDOO; 08-22-2014 at 05:59 AM.
post #3282 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Placed an order with AVScience earlier today for one of the b-stock units -- very excited as this is my first projector. Was on the fence with this or getting an Epson 8350 for less -- but liked the warranty on the Sony and read too many bad things about lamp issues, convergence, etc on the Epsons. Looking forward to getting is setup in the coming week once it arrives...

Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music.
--Sergei Rachmaninov

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils.
--Hector Berlioz
post #3283 of 3323 Old 08-23-2014, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Forehand View Post

I initially went with Amazon. My LMPH202 bulb was actually a LMPH201. I didn't realize it until 3 months later until I actually opened the box. The box was labeled LMPH202 so I never bothered opening it up sooner =( Going through the returns process, but not too sure if I'll get my money fully refunded.

I went with AVS on my second attempt.
post #3284 of 3323 Old 08-25-2014, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Motion on the 30es

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post
I haven't been able to try in in 3D, but I can't stand the motion flow in 2D, even on low. I get a major soap opera effect. I started watching 'Dark Knight' the other night with it on and eventually had to turn it off.

It does make me wonder though...is our reluctance to motion flow merely because we're so accustomed to watching video without it?
I just upgraded from a panasonic pt-ae700u and this weekend have finally been able to put the 30es through it's paces. Obviously it blows the older panny away in almost every respect, except one, motion. Certain high contrasty scenes with slow pans make the edges of objects jitter, to the point where I find it unwatchable. I have to activate FI (which I hate) to make the image watchable. Is anybody else experiencing this? Is it possibly a setup issue? I know I'm running 50 ' of 9 year old hdmi cable, but I wouldn't think that would be an issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

update...I was playing with the pj some more, and placed it into low lamp. the jitter was much less noticeable...I guess this pj is really lighting up my 106" screen and making jitter way more noticeable...at any rate...the pq is so much better with the FI turned off

Cheers

Last edited by almostgoth; 08-25-2014 at 09:55 PM.
post #3285 of 3323 Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 AM

Liked: 0
Ok guys, long time reader, first time poster my wife have me a 30es for Xmas along with elite screens cinegrey 5d 120" problem with my pj is when in viewing in 3d mode I get a magenta colored fog in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and a yellow fog in the left if I takpe my glasses off I can't see the fog I've tried two different brands of glasses Sony ps monitor, and dreamview both brands do the same thing. I've had best buy come it and do a full calib. On it but no luck...any ideas?
post #3286 of 3323 Old 09-02-2014, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDEV0L View Post
Ok guys, long time reader, first time poster my wife have me a 30es for Xmas along with elite screens cinegrey 5d 120" problem with my pj is when in viewing in 3d mode I get a magenta colored fog in the bottom right hand corner of the screen and a yellow fog in the left if I takpe my glasses off I can't see the fog I've tried two different brands of glasses Sony ps monitor, and dreamview both brands do the same thing. I've had best buy come it and do a full calib. On it but no luck...any ideas?
I think there is a filter that fixes that and it's free if you call Sony for it...there's details a few pages back... I'll try to find it for you... There's several posts on page 109 of this thread and here's a quote

"I contacted Sony Primesupport using this email address: primesupport@eu.sony.com, you can find all contact details in the PrimeSupport Helpdesk section of the web page: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/su...us-for-support. I recommend you to start with activating your PrimeSupport agreement that came as the projector warranty. You find the activation in the bottom of the web page. They will ask you to provide them with a copy of the reciept for the projector."

Last edited by Brian Hampton; 09-02-2014 at 03:47 AM.
post #3287 of 3323 Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagis View Post
Hello synthetik7,

I contacted Sony Primesupport using this email address: primesupport@eu.sony.com, you can find all contact details in the PrimeSupport Helpdesk section of the web page: http://www.sony.co.uk/pro/article/su...us-for-support. I recommend you to start with activating your PrimeSupport agreement that came as the projector warranty. You find the activation in the bottom of the web page. They will ask you to provide them with a copy of the reciept for the projector.

BR//Bagis
I just got off the phone with the above number at Sony, and the had no clue what I was talking about and the part number "442006701" doesn't belong to any part they know of they gave me this part number but not sure if it's the right part for my projector "E387577701" and they wanted me to buy it for $7. To everyone who's gotten it for free what are you guys telling them it is cause obviously they have no clue what I'm talking about, and I can't understand half of what they're saying......so frustrating
post #3288 of 3323 Old 09-03-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

My screen doesn't need it so I can't help really. I considered trying to get it just in case I changed screens later....since people said it was free,... Also enabling warranty support type of thing also sounded nice.
post #3289 of 3323 Old 09-04-2014, 09:19 PM

Ok so I got ahold of someone at Sony that doesn't speak shattered English and the second I told him about the discoloration on the screen he knew exactly what was going on and sent me the lens filter, now I just have to wait for it to get here
post #3290 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
OK. Got a real dumb question here for a pj veteran in 2D but not 3D.

When I press the 3D button on the remote, the screen said "not applicable". Here is the background info:

1. Do I need a HDMI cable that is 1.4 compliant?
2. I have a Panny 500 and also a 230 model, both are 3D capable, so is my primary pj - a JVC rs45. In all these 4 combinations, the Panny message was either the pj or the player is not 3d capable. Firmware on both Panny's are updated.
3. In all cases, the player is directly connected to the pj.

I must be quite dense. BTW, the movie is a 3D Oz. the Powerful from Disney.

Thanks for your help in advance.
post #3291 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

The Panny is set to 24p. Is that correct?
post #3292 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post
OK. Got a real dumb question here for a pj veteran in 2D but not 3D.

When I press the 3D button on the remote, the screen said "not applicable". Here is the background info:

1. Do I need a HDMI cable that is 1.4 compliant?
2. I have a Panny 500 and also a 230 model, both are 3D capable, so is my primary pj - a JVC rs45. In all these 4 combinations, the Panny message was either the pj or the player is not 3d capable. Firmware on both Panny's are updated.
3. In all cases, the player is directly connected to the pj.

I must be quite dense. BTW, the movie is a 3D Oz. the Powerful from Disney.

Thanks for your help in advance.
I suggest you find a JVC projector thread for your model to pose your questions. This thread is for those w/the Sony HW30.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

post #3293 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

And,... anyway... Yes ... you need a "High Speed" HDMI 1.4 cable.. that much is actually true.

Also,.. you're talking about an actual 3D blu ray version right? I imagine so but people will often ask about various files they find and that's difficult for anyone to troubleshoot...
post #3294 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sony HW30 is my back up. The Oz is a 3D blu-ray.
post #3295 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Upon further research, I need a "high speed" hdmi cable.

HDMI 1.4 or 1.3 cables

Sounds like mine should work but neither did, so I assume it's the Panny blu-ray player setting.
post #3296 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Do you run through a non 3d capable AVR?...

I know you mentioned panny this and that but I'm not familiar.

If you have 3D compatible stuff with current HDMI cable ... it ought to be pretty easy.

Maybe the 3D has to be turned on via the menus on that panny gizmo. I know I can turn 3D off on my Blu Ray player...
post #3297 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I've both a Panasonic bdt500 and a dbdt230; neither worked and showed the same error message.

I bypassed both my 2d Onkyo SR705 for this test, as well as the Darbee.
post #3298 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey,

Well, I just don't know then.

You have to eliminate something ... somehow...

3D should be a problem with stuff that's designed for 3D.... it tends to be super simple.

You could try picking up a new HDMI cable if you're unsure about the one you have. I don't think it would be easy to find a new one now that doesn't support 3D.

-Brian
post #3299 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Is it possible that the 3d transmitter must be connected to the Sony for the pj to indicate it's in a 3d mode?
post #3300 of 3323 Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Amen! That was the problem. Once the transmitter was connected to the Sony, the Panny realized that the pj is indeed 3D worthy.

I must be from the last century - it was too challenging for me but thanks for giving me hints - it's on page 28 of the Sony manual indicating a 3d transmitter connecting to the pj.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page