Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 115 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #3421 of 3428 Old 04-13-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post
Unfortunately I'm seeing this one my second bulb also

On the second bulb it started around 600 hours and now at 850 its much more frequent.

I've not been reading the forums much but do the more recent models (50/55, etc) have a high early failure rate?

Makes me think twice about another Sony. Which is sad as otherwise it has been very good.

I got 2000 hours on my old Sanyo under the same viewing conditions.
I can tell you right now that all higher end bulb units suffer from flicker at one point or another so going with another company is not going to rid you of this issue. Luckily laser is right around the corner and there are currently several LED projectors to choose from if flicker bothers you quite a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3422 of 3428 Old 04-13-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Unfortunately I'm seeing this one my second bulb also

On the second bulb it started around 600 hours and now at 850 its much more frequent.

I've not been reading the forums much but do the more recent models (50/55, etc) have a high early failure rate?

Makes me think twice about another Sony. Which is sad as otherwise it has been very good.

I got 2000 hours on my old Sanyo under the same viewing conditions.
I'm on my third bulb, and this one has had the "flicker disease" much more frequently than the first two. Flickering began at or before 500hrs, but changing from low lamp to high lamp or vice versa usually got rid of it. At about the 1200hr mark, that trick seemed to stop working, and the flicker was often present, regardless of the lamp setting. I was sure it was about to blow, so I ordered another lamp from AVS.

That must have cured this lamp, as it quit flickering and is now at 2286hrs.

Indecision is the basis of flexibility.
post #3423 of 3428 Old 04-13-2015, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlastic View Post
I'm on my third bulb, and this one has had the "flicker disease" much more frequently than the first two. Flickering began at or before 500hrs, but changing from low lamp to high lamp or vice versa usually got rid of it. At about the 1200hr mark, that trick seemed to stop working, and the flicker was often present, regardless of the lamp setting. I was sure it was about to blow, so I ordered another lamp from AVS.

That must have cured this lamp, as it quit flickering and is now at 2286hrs.
Can you clarify what cured the lamp? I didn't follow...
post #3424 of 3428 Old 04-14-2015, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Can you clarify what cured the lamp? I didn't follow...
Sorry. I didn't do anything besides switching between high/low lamp. I was trying to be funny and say that the lamp straightened up its act when it saw me order an extra and thought it was being replaced.

In a nutshell, the gist was, "These lamps seem to flicker a lot. Keep switching between low and high settings and you'll most likely get the rated life or more."

post #3425 of 3428 Old 04-14-2015, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlastic View Post
Sorry. I didn't do anything besides switching between high/low lamp. I was trying to be funny and say that the lamp straightened up its act when it saw me order an extra and thought it was being replaced.

In a nutshell, the gist was, "These lamps seem to flicker a lot. Keep switching between low and high settings and you'll most likely get the rated life or more."

Thanks. I've tried that... for 100 hours and the problem just keeps coming back. And by "back" I meant it will flicker in either low or high mode. Is that what you saw?
post #3426 of 3428 Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:

Thanks. I've tried that... for 100 hours and the problem just keeps coming back. And by "back" I meant it will flicker in either low or high mode. Is that what you saw?
Yes, flicker occurs in either mode. *Usually*, switching from one mode to the other will temporarily cure the flicker. When I ordered the replacement bulb above, the mode-switch trick didn't seem to be working. After a couple of weeks, it finally went away on its own. I think it was in high mode for quite a while, but so much switching went on that I can't remember for sure. (And I was so happy when the flicker stopped that I didn't want to change anything.)

post #3427 of 3428 Old 04-19-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How do you switch the low or high setting? I don't see a setting for this.

Also are there any deals for lamps? Being I am retired and the projector is in our living room I am having to get new lamps once a year.
post #3428 of 3428 Old 04-20-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
How do you switch the low or high setting? I don't see a setting for this.

Also are there any deals for lamps? Being I am retired and the projector is in our living room I am having to get new lamps once a year.
Menu >> Picture >> Cinema Black Pro >> Lamp Control

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP