4Likes

post #781 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
zombie10k

With you testing the different glasses would it be better to not get the Sony AES package which includes the glasses and emitter and buy another type of glasses. But I guess the key question is the actual emitter. Could just the emitter be bought?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 03:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I didn't get the ethernet pinouts yet... I originally assumed it wasn't going to work with the IR since it didn't work with the JVC IR emitter. It works just fine with the Sony which is good news...

So all you need to buy is the glasses (and don't need the Eyewear System) and the glasses receive IR directly from the Sony emitter? The glasses have both IR and RF built in? On the Monster site it seems to indicate RF only.
post #783 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

zombie10k

With you testing the different glasses would it be better to not get the Sony AES package which includes the glasses and emitter and buy another type of glasses. But I guess the key question is the actual emitter. Could just the emitter be bought?

I don't think the emitter / glasses are shipping separately just yet. You need the emitter anyway and could always sell the glasses. I do like the Sony glasses and have no intentions of getting rid of them. The kids' BR50's worked perfect and had several visitors kids from 4-8 use them to watch RIO this weekend. They couldn't get through 20 mins with the adult glasses, so thanks to Sony for making glasses that work for kids.

I will have more feedback later this week as I go through some of the tough ghosting material. I find ghosting to be minimal overall on 3D Bluray playback with the HW30 / Sony glasses, but seems I found a way to take it that much further with the RF glasses. There is just no ghosting with the settings I currently have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

So all you need to buy is the glasses (and don't need the Eyewear System) and the glasses receive IR directly from the Sony emitter? The glasses have both IR and RF built in? On the Monster site it seems to indicate RF only.

You do need the intial kit. It ships with a small RF transmitter that I power with a blackberry charger. It also includes an IR receiver that needs to be in the general range of the Sony IR blaster. The other cable you see in the photo is the 3 PIN vesa connector for use with the JVC's and others that have the 3 PIN support. I really need to find the pinouts, I could make a custom 3 pin-> RJ45 in 10 minutes and this would avoid needing the Sony emitter if I was just using the RF's.

I started testing the software that is available to set the timing parameters via the PC application. It would be nice to just plug in a # and click 'appy' vs. manually trying and guessing like I did the other night. It only took 5-10 minutes to find the prime settings though then I locked the setting in.
post #784 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Came across an interesting problem with my projector. I recently bought the Onkyo 360 and attached it to my comcast cable box and LG 670 Blu ray player. When I powered my Sony last night, I get the green LED for a few seconds followed by a click from the projector which turns itself off and then blinks a red LED 12 times.

After doing some troubleshooting, I noticed that the red light issue arises if my blu ray player is powered on prior to turning on my projector. If my receiver and cable box are on prior to turning on the projector there is no problem.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I can't tell if there is a setting from my projector, receiver, or blu ray player that is causing this mess.
post #785 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post

Came across an interesting problem with my projector. I recently bought the Onkyo 360 and attached it to my comcast cable box and LG 670 Blu ray player. When I powered my Sony last night, I get the green LED for a few seconds followed by a click from the projector which turns itself off and then blinks a red LED 12 times.

After doing some troubleshooting, I noticed that the red light issue arises if my blu ray player is powered on prior to turning on my projector. If my receiver and cable box are on prior to turning on the projector there is no problem.

Has anyone else come across this issue? I can't tell if there is a setting from my projector, receiver, or blu ray player that is causing this mess.

I came across the same problem. When I have my Comcast cable box on it does not affect the projector. However, when my blu-ray player is on prior to turning on the Sony the projector would turn itself off after a few seconds. However, my problem was coming from my receiver I had the blu ray player feeding through. To fix my problem I took the hdmi out of my receiver and connected it straight to the projector instead of feeding it through the receiver. Have not had a problem since. May just be a coincidence and may not solve your problem, however it did solve mine.
post #786 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...You do need the intial kit. It ships with a small RF transmitter that I power with a blackberry charger. It also includes an IR receiver that needs to be in the general range of the Sony IR blaster. The other cable you see in the photo is the 3 PIN vesa connector for use with the JVC's and others that have the 3 PIN support. I really need to find the pinouts, I could make a custom 3 pin-> RJ45 in 10 minutes and this would avoid needing the Sony emitter if I was just using the RF's...

So you have 2 hookup options options: 1) Directly connecting the RF transmitter to your TV with a VESA port. 2) Receiving your TV's IR output and converting to RF for the glasses.

What are the advantages to a direct hookup that has you wanting to make a custom cable?
post #787 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jutang View Post

It may be confused Commands sent over HDMI. HDMI allows Control Commands to be sent from devices. Turn this off (page 56) on the projector and it may eliminate this problem.
post #788 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

So you have 2 hookup options options: 1) Directly connecting the RF transmitter to your TV with a VESA port. 2) Receiving your TV's IR output and converting to RF for the glasses.

What are the advantages to a direct hookup that has you wanting to make a custom cable?

With the JVC setup, I had no choice but to use the direct connection since the JVC IR wasn't compatible with the RF device. I originally wanted a direct connection to the Sony since the IR -> IR made the ghosting appear much worse than the Sony's. I thought some signals were getting crossed.

After playing around more with the other night and finding the settings that all but eliminated the ghosting, I am not as interested in the direct connection method.

With this setup, I can run the Sony's that shipped with the HW30, the BR50's, the Xpand 103's and the Monster Vision 3D Rf's all at the same time. Only my Nvidia 3D visions are left on the sideline.

Tonight I am going to take a look at some of the tough animations like M v A and Sammy's Adventure which can have an enormous amount of ghosting when viewed on my RS50 due to the high contrast scenes and greenish/blue backgrounds. I'll take some more screenshots of both to show Sony vs. Xpand 103 vs. Monster Vision 3D.
post #789 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:

I don't think the emitter / glasses are shipping separately just yet. You need the emitter anyway and could always sell the glasses. I do like the Sony glasses and have no intentions of getting rid of them. The kids' BR50's worked perfect and had several visitors kids from 4-8 use them to watch RIO this weekend. They couldn't get through 20 mins with the adult glasses, so thanks to Sony for making glasses that work for kids.

I will have more feedback later this week as I go through some of the tough ghosting material. I find ghosting to be minimal overall on 3D Bluray playback with the HW30 / Sony glasses, but seems I found a way to take it that much further with the RF glasses. There is just no ghosting with the settings I currently have.

You do need the intial kit. It ships with a small RF transmitter that I power with a blackberry charger. It also includes an IR receiver that needs to be in the general range of the Sony IR blaster. The other cable you see in the photo is the 3 PIN vesa connector for use with the JVC's and others that have the 3 PIN support. I really need to find the pinouts, I could make a custom 3 pin-> RJ45 in 10 minutes and this would avoid needing the Sony emitter if I was just using the RF's.

I started testing the software that is available to set the timing parameters via the PC application. It would be nice to just plug in a # and click 'appy' vs. manually trying and guessing like I did the other night. It only took 5-10 minutes to find the prime settings though then I locked the setting in.

Do the monsters remember the setting once locked in or do you have to set it each time you use them?
post #790 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmarsden View Post

Do the monsters remember the setting once locked in or do you have to set it each time you use them?

hi, it remembers the settings unless you into the config mode and start messing around. There doesn't appear to be any profiles so if I were to use it with multiple projectors, i'd probably buy extra RF transmitters to use on each device and just use the glasses universally.
post #791 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Here is some findings that are going to be a little shocking... I found settings within the MV3D transmitter that almost completely eliminated ANY signs of ghosting, even during the most difficult scenes. I don't know how I missed this the first time I tried it a few weeks ago.

Here is some info:

1. Expand 103's - cycled through the various modes to get it to sync with the HW30. I believe it's #4 on the cycle (it's the only one that will sync as far as I can tell). This causes 5-10 second flashing. If I lower the 'glasses brightness' in the HW30 menu, it will be rock solid and offer identical performance as the Sony's, WITHOUT the bizarre effect of the polarizers creating ghosting while moving your head around. The tint of the 103's isn't my favorite, but it's certainly not a deal breaker.

2. Monster Vision 3D - I have the RF transmitter powered by a blackberry charger. I am using the IR receiver that comes with it and keep it close to the Sony emitter. Perfect 5 bars of sync signal. After going through some of the timing adjustments randomly, I found one that reduces the ghosting by a substantial amount as you can see in the photos below. The best part is, now that it's RF, I don't have to fuss with the Sony emitter if I choose to use the RF glasses.

Photos: 1st is no glasses, 2nd is the Sonys, 3rd is the Xpand 103's and 4th is the Monster Vision 3D. Notice the sign, the ghosting is almost completely imperceivable in the photo and is invisible to my eyes when A-B between the Sony, Xpand and MV3D's.

I also find the MV3D's the most comfortable since I wear prescription glasses. They are larger and don't have the curved arms.

no glasses - look at the sign and the light behind his left ear.

Sony

Xpand 103

Monster Vision 3D
post #792 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cine4Home View Post

These differences are probably just caused by unit to unit variation.

The released data in our review is based on about 12 final series units.
In other words: These are all "average" values! We use that method for some years already in order to avoid, that our released measurements are just based on a "golden unit", which might not represent the series average.

Meaning: Among the 12 machines we measured, there were also units with a slightly higher native contrast ratio matching the one of Toms unit. But the average of all 12 was a bit lower.

Regards,
Ekki

Ekki

Just on a sidenote ( sorry guy´s ) , are you ( when ) doing a review of the new 95ES ?

regards

dj
post #793 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 10:17 AM

impressive finding on the MV3D's
post #794 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Zombie10k

these Monster Vision 3D glasses looks very good

I wish, I could have tested them with the 90ES

dj
post #795 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I needs to knows.
post #796 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Saw one of these today in less than stellar environment with less than perfect source and it still looked really good. Hoping to have the chance to put it through some more ideal test conditions at some point.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #797 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I spent my first significant time using SbS today (playing COD on XB360), and the glasses went out of sync way too frequently.

I tried messing with the emitter strength, and it was definately better set at zero. I don't seem to have this problem with 3DBR. Anyone else have this experience with SbS?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #798 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I had a chance to view the HW30 today at one of the local BB Magnolia theaters. Despite the projector not being set up properly, I thought it threw a very nice (and bright) picture. The 3d image was also very good, except for some color non-uniformity in the corners of the image. Was this due to the projector not being set up properly, or is this something that has to do with the 3d technology? This was my first viewing of a 3d projector, and it looked pretty good except for the colors.
post #799 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 07:37 PM

Need some help getting some extra pairs of glasses, if anyone in Canada owns this projector could you give me an idea on where to get some extra glasses. Only found one place in the states that will ship the xpand 103 to Canada, can't get the monster vision's and so far no luck getting the filters for the br250's or br50's, and the pj1's won't be around till the end of the month. Very frustrating, Canada sucks!
post #800 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

I needs to knows.

No you don't. The NDAs in Europe expire Thursday and the JVC presss conference in Indy starts at 7:30 AM on Thursday, that's 32 hours from now. I think you can hang on without anymore info on the JVCs till then. And then all sorts of info will come out and then you will be asking everyone which is better the Sony xxx or the JVC yyy or the ZZZ whatever based on show condition viewing and specs . And then you won't understand why no one can really answer a buying decision question based on limited show viewing experience or specs which are often non real world.

Ok Ok. Don't throw a fit. They all will be good and they all will be bad. And most won't be immediately available anyway.

As Kojack used to say, Remember who luvs ya baby.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #801 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I had a chance to view the HW30 today at one of the local BB Magnolia theaters. Despite the projector not being set up properly, I thought it threw a very nice (and bright) picture. The 3d image was also very good, except for some color non-uniformity in the corners of the image. Was this due to the projector not being set up properly, or is this something that has to do with the 3d technology? This was my first viewing of a 3d projector, and it looked pretty good except for the colors.

Hi, was this a white or a gray screen? there were some early reports that certain screens appeared to have the color issue while viewing with the 3D glasses on.

I use a high power screen and color uniformity is dead on acrosss the entire screen. If you look back through this thread, you might find screen shots of what I am referring to above to see if it's the same thing you were seeing at BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Need some help getting some extra pairs of glasses, if anyone in Canada owns this projector could you give me an idea on where to get some extra glasses. Only found one place in the states that will ship the xpand 103 to Canada, can't get the monster vision's and so far no luck getting the filters for the br250's or br50's, and the pj1's won't be around till the end of the month. Very frustrating, Canada sucks!

mike sorry I missed your PM, I just read it. Do the online retailers like the big river not ship to Canada, or is the cost outrageous with taxes?

I ordered the BR50 lens filters from Sony direct via a link I posted a few pages back along with the part#.
post #802 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

Search my earlier posts in this thread, I posted a screenshot of what my screen looks like through 3d glasses. My conclusion was that it must be my screen, not the projector.
post #803 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponziani View Post

Search my earlier posts in this thread, I posted a screenshot of what my screen looks like through 3d glasses. My conclusion was that it must be my screen, not the projector.

based on my recent experiment with the Sony glasses, Xpand 103 and Monster Vision 3D, there is a good chance that if you were to use either the Xpand 103 or MV3D's, you would not see that effect on your screen.

Roshy pointed out some interesting artifacts from the polarizers that are built in the new Sony glasses that doesn't seem to happen with the 3rd party kits.
post #804 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 09:43 PM

Quote:

based on my recent experiment with the Sony glasses, Xpand 103 and Monster Vision 3D, there is a good chance that if you were to use either the Xpand 103 or MV3D's, you would not see that effect on your screen.

Roshy pointed out some interesting artifacts from the polarizers that are built in the new Sony glasses that doesn't seem to happen with the 3rd party kits.

I do have a pair of Xpand 103's, and they look the same as the Sony glasses with respect to the color weirdness.
post #805 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Guys. All this might have something to do with the type of polarizers the projectors use internally and the type of polarizers that the glasses use. For example, the Sony machines use circular polarizers and the Sony glasses do to, if I rember correctly. Other glasses may use linear polarizers. I really don't remember what uses what but this might explain differences when one rotates their head and gets different artifacts depending on the glasses.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #806 of 3280 Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I spent my first significant time using SbS today (playing COD on XB360), and the glasses went out of sync way too frequently.

I tried messing with the emitter strength, and it was definately better set at zero. I don't seem to have this problem with 3DBR. Anyone else have this experience with SbS?

How did you feel about the input lag when playing in 3D? And could you specify what SbS means to me also. Thanks for your time.
post #807 of 3280 Old 09-07-2011, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkko View Post

How did you feel about the input lag when playing in 3D? And could you specify what SbS means to me also. Thanks for your time.

SbS = Side By Side.

I had no issue with lag. I hadn't played Blops for about 3 months, but figured I'd try it out in 3D, and over 4 games, I put up around a 2.0+ K/D, which is on par with my average in over 10+ days of playtime on plasma.

post #808 of 3280 Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?

post #809 of 3280 Old 09-07-2011, 06:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?

Brower, not sure if it's related but others on here have reported issues with playing SBS MKV files.

I actually tried the 3D for the first time last night. Granted, I don't have any 3D hardware until I get my new graphics card (should be this week), so I could only try the simulated 3D of 2D material.

So after setting to simulated 3D and turning the glasses on, the image looks no different with the glasses on versus off (other than the tint obviously). I had the emitter hooked up prior to turning the projector on, and obviously it recognized it since it gave me the 3D options in the menu. The emitter is up front just above the screen. When I turn the glasses on I get the single flash every 2 seconds. But when I put the glasses on, they have no effect on the image. I tried moving around all around the room, including right in front of the emitter and still nothing. I tried both pairs of glasses.

Any ideas?
post #810 of 3280 Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Brower, not sure if it's related but others on here have reported issues with playing SBS MKV files.

Were the SbS MKV files having glasses sync issues or just ghosting?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page