Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Anstey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Newnan, Georgia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Guys. All this might have something to do with the type of polarizers the projectors use internally and the type of polarizers that the glasses use. For example, the Sony machines use circular polarizers and the Sony glasses do to, if I rember correctly. Other glasses may use linear polarizers. I really don't remember what uses what but this might explain differences when one rotates their head and gets different artifacts depending on the glasses.

This could explain a lot. My own experience at Best Buy with this projector on a high gain gray screen was that tilting my head to the left turned the entire image red and tilting to the right turned it green. I wasn't looking for color shifts in the corners in normal viewing. Based upon the reports here it seems that any screen the retains polarization, which apparently is any reflective high gain screen, causes color shift artifacts when using the Sony glasses. The whole reason to use shutter glasses is to not need special polarization retaining screens but there shouldn't be a penalty for using one.
Chuck Anstey is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Member
 
shadow39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: GTA, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
mike sorry I missed your PM, I just read it. Do the online retailers like the big river not ship to Canada, or is the cost outrageous with taxes?

I ordered the BR50 lens filters from Sony direct via a link I posted a few pages back along with the part#.[/quote]

No worries about missing the PM, you pretty much answered my questions with your previous posts and thanks for all the hard work testing all the different brands of glasses and sharing it with the rest of us.

Sony of Canada is useless regarding the filters, they have no clue about them and Sony of USA won't ship them to Canada, Monster doesn't have them in Canada yet and its hard to find any place here that sell the Xpand's and the ones in the states charge crazy shipping rates and then I have to add on brokerage and our taxs which is another 13% so looks like I get to enjoy the 2 pairs that I have for awhile. As i said Canada sucks when you want to purchase certain items.
shadow39 is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
kutlow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wetumpka, Al
Posts: 2,375
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Im willing to bet Mark H knows some good info. We need to dispatch a sexy Female undercover spy TO HIS LOCATION asap. Waterboarding is authorized!
kutlow is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Update on my 30. Had it for several weeks. Picture seems to be getting better with time. lol
Still no 3D (no desire) but plenty of 2D!
Mostly sports then HD programming then BD. Coming from JVC 250. Blacks seem equal. Sharpness may go to the Sony by a tad. Motion is definitely better on the Sony.
I am back to using high lamp as low was not bright enough. I was using low lamp aperture 3 (250 only has 3 settings with 3 being brightest) and had 800 hours using HP screen. High lamp on the Sony does not seem as bright as the JVC on high. I am using Cinema 1. Contrast at 90, brightness 45 and gamma 3. I know those who measured both say it is brighter than the JVC or at least as bright.
My only fear would be bulb dimming and needing to replace the bulb frequently.
Outside of that, very very happy with the Sony.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
JayF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 957
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

This could explain a lot. My own experience at Best Buy with this projector on a high gain gray screen was that tilting my head to the left turned the entire image red and tilting to the right turned it green. I wasn't looking for color shifts in the corners in normal viewing. Based upon the reports here it seems that any screen the retains polarization, which apparently is any reflective high gain screen, causes color shift artifacts when using the Sony glasses. The whole reason to use shutter glasses is to not need special polarization retaining screens but there shouldn't be a penalty for using one.

I'm using a Draper 2500 (2.5 gain) screen that I used with a CRT projector and then a Pioneer Kuro FPJ1 and now the Sony. I definitely see the same extreme color shifting when I tilt my head when wearing either the Sony or Monster glasses. This only happens when wearing the glasses- 2d is fine.

So what are my best options for a new screen?

BTW, based on the earlier posts I tried the Monster glasses and much prefer them for comfort factor. Will be buying more and selling off my pair of Sonys.
JayF is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF View Post

I'm using a Draper 2500 (2.5 gain) screen that I used with a CRT projector and then a Pioneer Kuro FPJ1 and now the Sony. I definitely see the same extreme color shifting when I tilt my head when wearing either the Sony or Monster glasses. This only happens when wearing the glasses- 2d is fine.

So what are my best options for a new screen?

BTW, based on the earlier posts I tried the Monster glasses and much prefer them for comfort factor. Will be buying more and selling off my pair of Sonys.

If you like a high gain screen, this effect does not happen on my 142" Dalite 2.8HP or my 2.4HP samples. The 2.4 should provide similar brightness as the draper and will give a nice, bright 3D image.

Good to hear you also like the Monster Visions. I have been using these a while with my JVC and prefered the tint over the JVC and Xpand 103 glasses. Did you try changing the timing settings? There is a setting I found that can all but eliminate any visible ghosting. I am trying to use the PC software to program the RF box so I can post the exact settings for others to try.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
phisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,776
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponziani View Post

Search my earlier posts in this thread, I posted a screenshot of what my screen looks like through 3d glasses. My conclusion was that it must be my screen, not the projector.

Ponziani

I found your earlier post with the screenshot and that is exactly what I saw on the screen at BB. It was a grey screen of unknown make, but had the wierd color shifting in the corners of the screen like in your screenshot. It was annoying to the point that it was difficult to watch. I'm seriously thinking of buying this projector, but I would need to get a good return policy with it in case I saw the same effect on my screen at home.
phisch is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
whitetrash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Anstey View Post

This could explain a lot. My own experience at Best Buy with this projector on a high gain gray screen was that tilting my head to the left turned the entire image red and tilting to the right turned it green. I wasn't looking for color shifts in the corners in normal viewing. Based upon the reports here it seems that any screen the retains polarization, which apparently is any reflective high gain screen, causes color shift artifacts when using the Sony glasses. The whole reason to use shutter glasses is to not need special polarization retaining screens but there shouldn't be a penalty for using one.

Yes, I have this too. Just got the projector and a black diamond iii 1.4. The left of the image is green, the right is red. This is through both the sony glasses and xpand x103s. My polarized oakley sunglasses show this As weok.

Maybe I will get the 2.4 hp screen. Very disappointed! Otherwise, pq is great. This is my first projector btw
whitetrash66 is offline  
Old 09-07-2011, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

Yes, I have this too. Just got the projector and a black diamond iii 1.4. The left of the image is green, the right is red. This is through both the sony glasses and xpand x103s. My polarized oakley sunglasses show this As weok.

Maybe I will get the 2.4 hp screen. Very disappointed! Otherwise, pq is great. This is my first projector btw

Does this happen with the glasses off, or only when they are turned on?

I am surprised to hear it's also happening with the Xpand 103's. Plenty of JVC owners used these with the RS series, I don't recall anyone complaining about this particular issue.


Where do you have your projector mounted? The 2.4HP is a great screen, but the projector would need to be as close to eye level as possible. A shelf mount is ideal or a lower hanging projector.

I have the HW30 just a few inches above eye level for maximum gain. It can light up this 142" 2.8 gain screen with some authority in 3D mode.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:18 AM
Member
 
Ponziani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Campbell, CA, USA
Posts: 174
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post


Does this happen with the glasses off, or only when they are turned on?

I am surprised to hear it's also happening with the Xpand 103's. Plenty of JVC owners used these with the RS series, I don't recall anyone complaining about this particular issue.

Where do you have your projector mounted? The 2.4HP is a great screen, but the projector would need to be as close to eye level as possible. A shelf mount is ideal or a lower hanging projector.

I have the HW30 just a few inches above eye level for maximum gain. It can light up this 142" 2.8 gain screen with some authority in 3D mode.

The picture I posted a while back was with the glasses OFF, though you could see a color shift in 3d mode with them on as well. I tried 3 different glasses: Sony, Xpand, and Samsung (off) and they all showed green/red shifting. It has to be polarization related, perhaps we can identify some trend in the screens that show this. At least I know if I cover my screen completely with laser printer paper I can get good 3d colors
Ponziani is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 04:13 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rgathright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Pearl River, La.
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Update on my 30. Had it for several weeks. Picture seems to be getting better with time. lol
Still no 3D (no desire) but plenty of 2D!
Mostly sports then HD programming then BD. Coming from JVC 250. Blacks seem equal. Sharpness may go to the Sony by a tad. Motion is definitely better on the Sony.
I am back to using high lamp as low was not bright enough. I was using low lamp aperture 3 (250 only has 3 settings with 3 being brightest) and had 800 hours using HP screen. High lamp on the Sony does not seem as bright as the JVC on high. I am using Cinema 1. Contrast at 90, brightness 45 and gamma 3. I know those who measured both say it is brighter than the JVC or at least as bright.
My only fear would be bulb dimming and needing to replace the bulb frequently.
Outside of that, very very happy with the Sony.

Being you already using high lamp I am concerned. What size is your HP screen and what is your projection throw distance?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
rgathright is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright

Being you already using high lamp I am concerned. What size is your HP screen and what is your projection throw distance?
106".
12'.
I'm happy with the brightness as of now. Hoping my eyes will adjust as the bulb dims and not notice.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rgathright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Pearl River, La.
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm - I will be shooting from 16' 6" to a 133" HP screen.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
rgathright is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 06:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Let me explain more about the brightness. The 30 IS brighter than what the JVC 250 had in best mode using both in high lamp. Dimming some would not be bad in my eyes. Some dimming a lot quickly would be a bad thing. Would be happier if low lamp was a tad brighter. I should have stated it more clearly in my other post. my bad.

JVC low lamp > Low lamp Sony
Sony high lamp > high lamp JVC

The good thing about the JVC is that I had another step (high lamp) to go if I noticed dimming.
I will say this also. My eyes probably did adjust to my JVC as I stayed with the same aperture 3 most of the time through the 800 hours and noticed no dimming. I'm sure it did but my eyes adjusted.
This is why I refuse to get a tool to measure brightness.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whitetrash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
Does this happen with the glasses off, or only when they are turned on?

I am surprised to hear it's also happening with the Xpand 103's. Plenty of JVC owners used these with the RS series, I don't recall anyone complaining about this particular issue.


Where do you have your projector mounted? The 2.4HP is a great screen, but the projector would need to be as close to eye level as possible. A shelf mount is ideal or a lower hanging projector.

I have the HW30 just a few inches above eye level for maximum gain. It can light up this 142" 2.8 gain screen with some authority in 3D mode.

This happens with the glasses on and off. And my polarized oakley sunglasses (not used for 3d in any way) show this as well.

My projector is about 6'5" from the floor, too high for the hi power screen to show a lot of gain, but i have a sample and brightness is the same or higher than the black diamond 1.4 screen i have up there now. I really like how the BD doesn't scatter light to my ceiilng, so i am contemplating keeping it... how is the HP screen in this regard? I have a white ceiling and can't paint it.

The color shifting is in the lower right and left corners of the screen, and i tweaked the color of the projector to help keep it less noticeable.
whitetrash66 is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member
 
Roshy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 534
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post
This happens with the glasses on and off. And my polarized oakley sunglasses (not used for 3d in any way) show this as well.

My projector is about 6'5" from the floor, too high for the hi power screen to show a lot of gain, but i have a sample and brightness is the same or higher than the black diamond 1.4 screen i have up there now. I really like how the BD doesn't scatter light to my ceiilng, so i am contemplating keeping it... how is the HP screen in this regard? I have a white ceiling and can't paint it.

The color shifting is in the lower right and left corners of the screen, and i tweaked the color of the projector to help keep it less noticeable.
I hope my studiotek 130 doesn't do this when I put it up on the wall. I only really tested the sample all over the screen in 2D. In 3D I had it stuck to the middle of the picture... Guess I'll find out in 2 weeks.
Roshy is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post
Hmmm - I will be shooting from 16' 6" to a 133" HP screen.
I have a 133" HP and find low lamp is a plenty bright (at least while the lamp is new). Ambient light control (room color) is more important than brightness. If you have no windows and flat dark walls you will find it BRIGHT.
William is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member
 
whitetrash66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,056
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So how is the Da-Lite 2.4 HP screen for scattered light onto the ceiling etc? I am contemplating keeping my Black Diamond 1.4 and living with the off colors in 3D, because my room has a white ceiling that i can't do anything with.
whitetrash66 is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
browerjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Beavercreek, OH
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have a 120" Elitescreens 1.1 gain screen with a white ceiling and taupe walls, and the HW30 is plenty bright for me in low lamp 2D, and 3D.

I throw and sit at about 14'6".

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
browerjs is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetrash66 View Post

So how is the Da-Lite 2.4 HP screen for scattered light onto the ceiling etc? I am contemplating keeping my Black Diamond 1.4 and living with the off colors in 3D, because my room has a white ceiling that i can't do anything with.

I also have a white tiled ceiling above my 142" 2.8HP and don't have an issue with scattered light. Retroflective screens like the HP do a good job of reducing light scatter since they direct the light primarily back in the direction of the light source.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Member
 
Jackwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Update on my 30. Had it for several weeks. Picture seems to be getting better with time. lol
Still no 3D (no desire) but plenty of 2D!
Mostly sports then HD programming then BD. Coming from JVC 250. Blacks seem equal. Sharpness may go to the Sony by a tad. Motion is definitely better on the Sony.
I am back to using high lamp as low was not bright enough. I was using low lamp aperture 3 (250 only has 3 settings with 3 being brightest) and had 800 hours using HP screen. High lamp on the Sony does not seem as bright as the JVC on high. I am using Cinema 1. Contrast at 90, brightness 45 and gamma 3. I know those who measured both say it is brighter than the JVC or at least as bright.
My only fear would be bulb dimming and needing to replace the bulb frequently.
Outside of that, very very happy with the Sony.

Is the Sony hw30 noticeably better than the jvc hd250 with motion on bluray movies without the motion flow enabled in 2d.
Jackwagon is offline  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
tigerfan33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post



Is the Sony hw30 noticeably better than the jvc hd250 with motion on bluray movies without the motion flow enabled in 2d.

Without motionflow activated on the Sony, it's a wash. If I walked in a room with the 30 and 250 on, I couldn't tell which is which.
Motionflow is what sets apart the 30 and the 250 in my eyes and the reason for the switch.
tigerfan33 is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 06:31 AM
Member
 
Jackwagon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan33 View Post

Without motionflow activated on the Sony, it's a wash. If I walked in a room with the 30 and 250 on, I couldn't tell which is which.
Motionflow is what sets apart the 30 and the 250 in my eyes and the reason for the switch.

Hey. Thanks for the quick response. I am considering the hw30 moving from a jvc hd250 as well. Do you activate the motionflow for bluray movies as well? I noticed a few members said it was too distracting when actually watching movies as it may look fake or more like live video. Everyone seems to agree it is great with sports and tv. My primary use though(about 90%) will be bluray movies. Therefore, I am wondering if I got one would I even enable the motionflow for bluray movies! Any input is appreciated!
Jackwagon is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackwagon View Post

Hey. Thanks for the quick response. I am considering the hw30 moving from a jvc hd250 as well. Do you activate the motionflow for bluray movies as well? I noticed a few members said it was too distracting when actually watching movies as it may look fake or more like live video. Everyone seems to agree it is great with sports and tv. My primary use though(about 90%) will be bluray movies. Therefore, I am wondering if I got one would I even enable the motionflow for bluray movies! Any input is appreciated!

I wasn't a fan of FI on my JVC RS50, even on low mode it was too obvious to me. The Sony IMO is much more subtle and just enough to work well. I pretty much leave it on in 2D and 3D all the time.

I watched Thor the other night and thought it looked great with the motion flow set to low. I especially like it in 3D mode, it reduces any possible flicker and smooths out the 3D making it a bit easier on my eyes than when I watch 3D on the JVC.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rgathright's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Pearl River, La.
Posts: 4,439
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Sorry if I missed it, but does the HW30 have CMS?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
rgathright is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,752
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

Sorry if I missed it, but does the HW30 have CMS?

it does have color controls but I haven't had to use them. I just did an initial calibration and the gray scale and primary colors are pretty close to the point where I won't change anything unless there is a noticeable shift after the first 100 hours.
zombie10k is online now  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SOWK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wauwatosa, WI
Posts: 4,095
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Can some one please tell me if the Sony's will accept 1920X817 Resolution via a HTPC using Nvidia Custom resolutions in Nvidia control panel via HDMI?
SOWK is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Advanced Member
 
ScoHo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 644
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I haven't been able to try in in 3D, but I can't stand the motion flow in 2D, even on low. I get a major soap opera effect. I started watching 'Dark Knight' the other night with it on and eventually had to turn it off.

It does make me wonder though...is our reluctance to motion flow merely because we're so accustomed to watching video without it?
ScoHo is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
Chuck Anstey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Newnan, Georgia
Posts: 256
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

I haven't been able to try in in 3D, but I can't stand the motion flow in 2D, even on low. I get a major soap opera effect. I started watching 'Dark Knight' the other night with it on and eventually had to turn it off.

It does make me wonder though...is our reluctance to motion flow merely because we're so accustomed to watching video without it?

Based on my many discussions about FI on movies, without a doubt.
Chuck Anstey is offline  
Old 09-09-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
William's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 8,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOWK View Post

Can some one please tell me if the Sony's will accept 1920X817 Resolution via a HTPC using Nvidia Custom resolutions in Nvidia control panel via HDMI?

It's not a supported preset signal. Are you wanting the HW30ES to scale (stretch) 817 to 1080 and use an anamorphic lens?
William is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off