Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #61 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 04:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

has anyone already measured the ANSI contrast of the Sony?

Cheers,
HeckMc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Another HW30 in Spain had a similar problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_Dy_ghDXg

However other units (such as kraine's) didn't have it.

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #63 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 05:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlow View Post

Ive never kept one over 100 hours on the bulb!

True story, I had 21 hours on my Epson 8700UB when I sold it I have about a 6month threshold and try to keep them around 50 hours.

I have a problem, I'll adim it. lol!
post #64 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

I took a lot more pics and Mark has looked at them. It seems my HW30 is defective. I guess I don't need to worry about 3D right now. To me it seems that maybe the lens elements are miss aligned (but then what do I know). Time to unpack my JVC and hook it back up.

That is unfortunate William. I did do a panel adjustment on mine before I took the picture I posted. I will try setting them back to 0 and see if it makes any difference. I was able to get perfect alignment using the built-in system but mine was only off by one pixel for red and green.
post #65 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grubert View Post

Another HW30 in Spain had a similar problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6_Dy_ghDXg

However other units (such as kraine's) didn't have it.

WOW, misery loves company and that is exactly what I'm seeing (except for the French). My theory of a defective lens assembly may mean that a few lenses were done this way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

That is unfortunate William. I did do a panel adjustment on mine before I took the picture I posted. I will try setting them back to 0 and see if it makes any difference. I was able to get perfect alignment using the built-in system but mine was only off by one pixel for red and green.

I did a panel adjustment too. All 3 panels were within 1/2 pixel all the way across and any adjustment was a detriment. On the far right I have 2 white lines instead of one. Below is a closeup and detailed shot of how bad it is. This pic represents VERY well how it actually looks. Keep in mind the center of the pic is razor sharp.

post #66 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:

I took a lot more pics and Mark has looked at them. It seems my HW30 is defective. I guess I don't need to worry about 3D right now. To me it seems that maybe the lens elements are miss aligned (but then what do I know). Time to unpack my JVC and hook it back up.

I thought I had focus issues the first night because of the manual focus / running back and forth to the screen to check, etc. I didn't take a close look at my 1920x1080 HTPC desktop screen. I am going to take a closer look tonight to see if there is a trend.

I had to send back my original RS40 because the focus wasn't even across the screen. The center was sharp, the left a bit softer and right really soft. It made an impact on the overall image and I had to send it back to JVC. The replacement RS50 (by some luck i'd imagine) is dead on from corner to corner, possibly the most even focus I've seen yet on a projector.

I'll take closeups tonight of my center and corners.

In your photo and the youtube video, it looks like a double image more than just softness. is this an accurate description of what your seeing in the corners?
post #67 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

...In your photo and the youtube video, it looks like a double image more than just softness. is this an accurate description of what your seeing in the corners?

Yes, and even if I focus the edges to their best I still have a double image.
post #68 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Projector astigmatism?

Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows.
-George Orwell, Nineteen Eighty-Four
post #69 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 07:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Ocular myestinea gravis.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #70 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:

True story, I had 21 hours on my Epson 8700UB when I sold it I have about a 6month threshold and try to keep them around 50 hours.

I have a problem, I'll adim it. lol!

Don't we all! Confessions from an equipment junkie. When you find something you like enough to keep longer that six months let us know and I'll put it on my short list.
post #71 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Ocular myestinea gravis.

The Dr. has made a diagnoses and written my prescription. If followed I should be seeing fine in about a week.

Thanks AVS.
post #72 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Dr. has made a diagnoses and written my prescription. If followed I should be seeing fine in about a week.

Thanks AVS.

Exactly why I buy all my high-end projectors from AVS, great support from all the employees.

I'll try not to gloat too much during the weekend from all the 3D fun I am going to have while yours is away
post #73 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Does anyone know if any of the previous Sony 3D glasses will work with HW30? If so which models?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #74 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly why I buy all my high-end projectors from AVS, great support from all the employees.

I'll try not to gloat too much during the weekend from all the 3D fun I am going to have while yours is away

Go ahead and gloat.
Quote:

Do you have the Nvidia 3D vision kit? If so hook it up and the options should show up in the control panel once you do the setup.

If you don't have the kit just get 3DTV from Nvidia's website for $40-50 and it will work since you have an HDMI 1.4 display.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play.html...

Looking at this and trying to understand what it is and why I need it (other than I can't get 3D on my projector). Is it a software BD player and if so will it play ISO mounted files ( I rip all my BD's to an unRAID server) and will it integrate into Media Center (I have my inure remote setup to work)?
post #75 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:

WOW, misery loves company and that is exactly what I'm seeing (except for the French). My theory of a defective lens assembly may mean that a few lenses were done this way.

I did a panel adjustment too. All 3 panels were within 1/2 pixel all the way across and any adjustment was a detriment. On the far right I have 2 white lines instead of one. Below is a closeup and detailed shot of how bad it is. This pic represents VERY well how it actually looks. Keep in mind the center of the pic is razor sharp.

Such a gross focus issue probably means something in the optics has become misaligned during shipment. However, many projectors when table/shelf mounted and with the vertical lens shift centered (i.e., with zero lens shift) will be projecting the image upward and likewise when ceiling mounted, with the projector inverted and with no vertical lens shift, the iimage will be projected downward. I know the HW30 spec. sheet lists the vertical lens shift at +/- 65%. Can you confirm that the middle setting corresponds to the projector being vertically centered with the screen? My point with this discussion is if you are actually having to use a lot of lens shift (but don't realize it) perhaps that is contributing to your focus problem. I suggest you first make certain the projector is level (use a bubble level if you have one) and is squared with the screen then try to set the vertical lens shift adjustment to its mid-point and see if the focus improves.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #76 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Now I'm all nervous on whether the one I ordered will have a problem. Haha. I'll have to find a way to hook it up before I get a screen and check.

Anyone have an i3 based htpc and done 3d through it? If so, can you shoot me a PM?
post #77 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy View Post

Now I'm all nervous on whether the one I ordered will have a problem. Haha. I'll have to find a way to hook it up before I get a screen and check.

Anyone have an i3 based htpc and done 3d through it? If so, can you shoot me a PM?

Don't be, mine is fine so it may be just a couple isolated incidents or bad units.

I have an i7 laptop using a 485M GTX, PM me if you have questions.
post #78 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Go ahead and gloat.

Looking at this and trying to understand what it is and why I need it (other than I can't get 3D on my projector). Is it a software BD player and if so will it play ISO mounted files ( I rip all my BD's to an unRAID server) and will it integrate into Media Center (I have my inure remote setup to work)?

3DTV is basically a "connector" software that checks if you have a compliant 1.4 HDMI TV and if so, it will enable the 3D options for your Nvidia-based 3D card without having to have the Nvision 3D dongle hooked up. If you are missing either of these you will not get 3D through any NVIDIA-based card (not that I am aware of anyways.)

If you don't have either I'd skip the dongle and get 3DPLAY TV and call it a day. They will email you a download link and it will integrate into your existing Nvidia drivers every time you update them.

The 3D Vision kit comes with a stereoscopic player that will allow you to play blu-rays, MKV files, look at 3D images, etc. and it also comes with a number of other helpful utilities. I am not sure if 3DPLAY TV comes with this or not since I already had them installed but I would imagine that they do. You would still need a dongle or 3DPlay in order to put the video card into 3D mode regardless if you use the player software or not.

I had absolutely NOTHING but problems from the software you are trying to use and PowerDVD to some extent. The Nvidia player does not allow you to select a language in MKV files and will default to whatever it was encoded with on the primary track. PowerDVD and the HT program you are using will allow you to select the track but they constantly crashed my laptop or did weird things once 3D was enabled.
post #79 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

Does anyone know if any of the previous Sony 3D glasses will work with HW30? If so which models?

Any glasses that work with the VW90 should work. External filters are required much the same as with the VW90. These filters were included with the VW90 but are available from Sony direct. Keep in mind that I said should work. I have only tested the TDG-BR50 and they worked flawlessly. Given that, I don't see why the TDG-BR250 wouldn't work.
post #80 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan0171 View Post

Any glasses that work with the VW90 should work. External filters are required much the same as with the VW90. These filters were included with the VW90 but are available from Sony direct. Keep in mind that I said should work. I have only tested the TDG-BR50 and they worked flawlessly. Given that, I don't see why the TDG-BR250 wouldn't work.

I assume both the old and new Sony brand 3D glasses will work. However, I thought the Xpand X103 "universal" glasses had been reported to work with the VW90 but not with the HW30.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #81 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

...many projectors when table/shelf mounted and with the vertical lens shift centered (i.e., with zero lens shift) will be projecting the image upward and likewise when ceiling mounted, with the projector inverted and with no vertical lens shift, the iimage will be projected downward. I know the HW30 spec. sheet lists the vertical lens shift at +/- 65%. Can you confirm that the middle setting corresponds to the projector being vertically centered with the screen? My point with this discussion is if you are actually having to use a lot of lens shift (but don't realize it) perhaps that is contributing to your focus problem. I suggest you first make certain the projector is level (use a bubble level if you have one) and is squared with the screen then try to set the vertical lens shift adjustment to its mid-point and see if the focus improves.

This has already been covered extensivly in previous posts but to recap my projector is shelf mounted about 3/4 to 2/3 of the way to the top of the screen using little lens shift with the image projecting out of the near center of the lens. If you look back you can see pictures of my projector mount (using my "old" JVC) and screen and trouble shooting measures taken. Also this is not just a focus issue but a double image being projected (covered also) and experienced by at least one other (French) owner.
post #82 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Does any one have lumen measurements in both 2d and 3d for this projector? I would like to run a 130" 16x9 screen, but I'm not sure what type of gain id need. I could place the projector at closest throw.
post #83 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3DTV is basically a "connector" software that checks if you have a compliant 1.4 HDMI TV and if so, it will enable the 3D options for your Nvidia-based 3D card without having to have the Nvision 3D dongle hooked up. If you are missing either of these you will not get 3D through any NVIDIA-based card (not that I am aware of anyways.)...

Thanks,

I just got off work and will download and give it a try before I pack up the HW30. I have to unpack my JVC HD10 and hook up also so I can watch (NOT 3D) a movie tonight.
post #84 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Full review is now online :

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/295...-HW30ES-0.html

P.S. : Jason I don't know how to answer you
post #85 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Full review is now online :

http://www.audiovideohd.fr/tests/295...-HW30ES-0.html

P.S. : Jason I don't know how to answer you

I added your review to the Official Owners thread. Please check to be sure I got the name correct.
post #86 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

I assume both the old and new Sony brand 3D glasses will work. However, I thought the Xpand X103 "universal" glasses had been reported to work with the VW90 but not with the HW30.

I was assuming Sony branded glasses in my post. I have read as well that the Xpand 103's are not working with the HW30.
post #87 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Thanks william. But I'm not a HW30 owner, sadly I have to turn my sample back to Sony.
post #88 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraine View Post

Thanks william. But I'm not a HW30 owner, sadly I have to turn my sample back to Sony.

Understand, I'm just linking the review.
post #89 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3DTV is basically a "connector" software that checks if you have a compliant 1.4 HDMI TV and if so, it will enable the 3D options for your Nvidia-based 3D card without having to have the Nvision 3D dongle hooked up. If you are missing either of these you will not get 3D through any NVIDIA-based card (not that I am aware of anyways...

Got it and now see 3D on my HW30. I only have 4 hours on the lamp so I may "suck it up" and watch a couple of hours of 3D tonight and pack it up tomorrow.
post #90 of 3281 Old 08-12-2011, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 269
I tried both pairs of Xpand 103's with the HW30 and they aren't working properly. Ghosting is bad and the glasses lose sync every 10-15 seconds.

I believe at least one member contacted Xpand to find out what's going on.

Mark - you are my only hope in finding the pin-outs of the RJ45 connector. I love the Monster Vision 3D's and desperately want them to work with the Sony projector. If your Sony contact has any info, please let me know.

I will do a tutorial on creating the 3 Pin -> RJ45 cable once I find the pin values.

thanks!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page