Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgathright View Post

It is number 2.

My screen is a 133" 16:9 screen.

Great, you're good to go I believe.

I apologize, I made a mistake looking at their chart and mis-calculated the throw distances. I've corrected my original posting, but the erroneous info still appears in your quote of my post.

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
"Mike's Money Pit" Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 08:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

William - I didn't get a chance, I saw your posts and I can't imagine I'll get different results, but I'll give it a try sometime this week.

I was busy testing the MV3D glasses vs. the Sony & Xpand 103's. I'll have some more compare shots up later in the week for some of the tough scenes like M v A bridge scene, beginning of Alice in Wonderland (the yellow / orange background with the black fences) and any scene from 'Sammy's adventure' which is ghosting hell since the entire movie is mainly green and blue backgrounds with high contrast objects that can easily cause noticeable ghosting on my RS50 and the HW30 to a lesser degree.

I want to see how these look in comparison to the Avatar shots I posted earlier. If they look as good, I'll try to get the exact settings using the Monster Vision desktop software. It's a pain because you have to pick a setting, program it, then see how it looks. There is no realtime controls which means lots of trial and error.

the good news is, I found these settings with just a few minutes of adjustments on the RF controller so I don't think it will be hard to replicate.

I've been impressed with the Monster glasses and greatly prefer them over the Sony glasses. They feel lighter and don't pinch the back of my head, and to me they seem brighter with better color reproduction.

Warning about playing with the settings though... They are very sensitive and don't take many "clicks" of the joystick to make substantial changes. I was in a near panic for about 15 minutes when I first started adjusting them. Word of advice- take it very slow!

My only other complaint is that one of the two pairs I bought appears to be defective- there is an audible buzzing coming from the glasses. I don't know if it has something to do do with RF signal or just a defective set. My other pair doesn't do it.
post #903 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip3kx07 View Post

What driver version are you using?

I had the same problem till I rolled back from the newer 280 NVIDIA driver to the 275 version. With 275 I can get the stereoscopic test to work, I still can't get 3D gaming to work but it's a start.

EDIT: Just noticed NVIDIA put up a new 285 beta driver today, I'm going to try it later today and see if that helps my problems.

No, my problem ended up being a bad cat5 cable termination. I re-terminated one of the ends (even though it looked fine to me) and now the emitter lights up and the glasses sync.

The problem I'm having now is, when I play a 3D Bluray ISO file in TotalMedia Theatre 5 after mounting it in Virtual CloneDrive, the video (and audio) playback is extremely choppy. And by choppy, I mean the video and audio pauses for about 2 seconds every 2 seconds. So yeah, it's unwatchable. But for what it's worth, the 3D looks great. I've tried it with 2 ISO files so far, both ripped using AnyDVD HD (Imax 3D Triple Feature & How To Train Your Dragon).

I'm running an AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8Ghz CPU with 4GB memory, so I don't think it's a matter of not enough horsepower. Graphics card is a recently purchased GT430 which I just installed the other day. I had the resolution set to 1080p 24hz.

Any ideas?
post #904 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

No, my problem ended up being a bad cat5 cable termination. I re-terminated one of the ends (even though it looked fine to me) and now the emitter lights up and the glasses sync.

The problem I'm having now is, when I play a 3D Bluray ISO file in TotalMedia Theatre 5 after mounting it in Virtual CloneDrive, the video (and audio) playback is extremely choppy. And by choppy, I mean the video and audio pauses for about 2 seconds every 2 seconds. So yeah, it's unwatchable. But for what it's worth, the 3D looks great. I've tried it with 2 ISO files so far, both ripped using AnyDVD HD (Imax 3D Triple Feature & How To Train Your Dragon).

I'm running an AMD Athlon X4 630 2.8Ghz CPU with 4GB memory, so I don't think it's a matter of not enough horsepower. Graphics card is a recently purchased GT430 which I just installed the other day. I had the resolution set to 1080p 24hz.

Any ideas?

Do you have the ISO's local or on the network? The PC should be plenty quick, I am running a run of the mill i5 dell with 4GB and the GT430. I use a 128GB SSB drive for my main drive, but it worked fine when I had an old 5400 rpm green drive as well.

Can you download the powerDVD trial and see if the same thing happens?

Does 2D play fine?
post #905 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayF View Post

I've been impressed with the Monster glasses and greatly prefer them over the Sony glasses. They feel lighter and don't pinch the back of my head, and to me they seem brighter with better color reproduction.

Warning about playing with the settings though... They are very sensitive and don't take many "clicks" of the joystick to make substantial changes. I was in a near panic for about 15 minutes when I first started adjusting them. Word of advice- take it very slow!

My only other complaint is that one of the two pairs I bought appears to be defective- there is an audible buzzing coming from the glasses. I don't know if it has something to do do with RF signal or just a defective set. My other pair doesn't do it.

Good to hear I'm not the only one that likes these Glasses.

I have heard others complain about the buzzing and they swapped it out and didn't have the issue. So it sounds like there may be an issue here and there.

I think these are more fragile than the Xpand 103's or Sony's. I am more careful with these in general. They are nice and comfortable over my prescription glasses.

Have you tried going back and forth with the Sony to the MV3D's? Pick a scene like I posted earlier in Avatar with the noticeable ghosting and play with the RF device until you get the ghosting to practically disappear, but not dim the glasses too much.
post #906 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 11:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Do you have the ISO's local or on the network? The PC should be plenty quick, I am running a run of the mill i5 dell with 4GB and the GT430. I use a 128GB SSB drive for my main drive, but it worked fine when I had an old 5400 rpm green drive as well.

Can you download the powerDVD trial and see if the same thing happens?

Does 2D play fine?

The ISO's are on an unRaid server. PC has a 1 gigabit connection. 2D plays fine in both XBMC (what I normally use) and TotalMedia Theatre, but not when I mount it for TotalMedia Theatre, so it seems to be an issue with the mounting. I was thinking of maybe trying a different mounting software (currently using Virtual CloneDrive).
post #907 of 3330 Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The ISO's are on an unRaid server. PC has a 1 gigabit connection. 2D plays fine in both XBMC (what I normally use) and TotalMedia Theatre, but not when I mount it for TotalMedia Theatre, so it seems to be an issue with the mounting. I was thinking of maybe trying a different mounting software (currently using Virtual CloneDrive).

Is that the one with the sheep icons? I think that's the same one I am using.

Any chance you can copy it locally just to be sure it's not the network or remote drives? I'm trying to think of ideas to narrow it down, it has to be something obvious if it's skipping that bad.

what a coincidence to have this many people who run HTPC's posting in the same projector thread. I have a small army of 3D iso's on a 12TB NAS. As much as I like using the HTPC, I wish there was a network media tank out there that can handle 3D BD ISO's. I liked using my Popcorn Hour A110 and then the C200 for playing back videos. I left them to collect dust as soon as 3D became popular last year with the Acer 5360 3D DLP projector and needed a way to get my 3D blurays to the projector.

I heard the Xtreamer company had a 1.4 HDMI network device coming out soon that supposedly handles 3D bluray streams. I'd like to get back to the easy front end interface of the media tanks. They were perfect at switching between 60hz and 24hz based on the content and the new ones would hopefully handle 24FP as well. If this is only $200 I might grab one to be a beta tester.
post #908 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 03:22 AM

AVFORUMS.COM video review is out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77R7YwC6E0
post #909 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have been concentrating on my permanent setup, but the temporary one needs to work also. How will the Carada BW screen work for 3D? I have been reading about polarization in the 3D forum, but it is only confusing me more than normal.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #910 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I would check that each connection between your server and your htpc is actually gigabit. I wasted hours the other night trying to figure out why I had the same problem as you do, and figured out my switch in my room was only connecting to my main router at 100Mbit. The HTPC's connection showed 1gigabit so I thought everything was fine, which threw me off for hours.

An easy way to see what you are connected at through the whole chain is to start copying a huge file and see the transfer rate. If its around 12MB/s then you are at 100Mbit, if you are near 100MB/s then you are at gigabit.
post #911 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I have had the HW30 for around 2 weeks now, and love it! my first projector, and i think it's great.

right now i am shooting onto a 113" 16x9 piece of blackout fabric, and i think the image is great. I am shooting from about 14', and the image is very bright in both 2d and 3d.

My issue is that i'd like to go with a 133" 16x9. If i am happy with my blackout fabric in my basement (mostly light controlled, have dark walls with a white ceiling), what should i get for gain on a 133"?
post #912 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 09:11 AM

I just purchased the Sony VPL-HW30AES and will be installing soon. Please help me figure out the appropriate distance to install from the screen!!!

I am using a 92" screen.

The manual suggests a formula, but unless I am looking at it wrong, the formula doesn't make any sense...

Thanks in advance for help
post #913 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

92" wide, or diagonal? 16 by 9, or 2.35:1?

Mike Kobb
(Formerly "ReplayMike". These opinions are mine alone, and in no way reflect the opinions of employers past or present!)
post #914 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM

92" diagonal, 16:9
post #915 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Okay, thanks. Here's how to figure this stuff out.

A 92" diagonal, 16:9 screen is 80.18" wide. Let's call it 80" to simplify a little.

The "throw" of the projector is usually expressed as a range of two numbers. For example, it might be something like 1.39 - 2.11. You multiply those numbers by the screen width you want to achieve, and that tells you the minimum and maximum distance from the screen that the projector can be and still project that size of picture.

As it happens, 1.39 - 2.11 is the throw range of this projector, based on JVC's chart. (I figured this out by referring to their 120" column and working the throw calculation backwards -- it's not given explicitly.)

So, for your 80" wide screen, we multiply 80 by 1.39 to get 111.2. Multiplying 80 by 2.11 gives 168.8. So, you can put the projector 111.2" - 168.8" from your screen (roughly 9.25' to 14').

At the short end of the range, due to the optics in the zoom lens, you typically will get the brightest image, but perhaps a little less contrast. At the long end of the range, you will get less brightness, but perhaps a bit more contrast. Most people try to hit the middle of that range if they have the flexibility, because it gives a nice compromise between contrast and brightness.

What about that cryptic formula you referred to?

L(minimum) = 31.1781 (1 7/32) x SS - 46.1543 (1 13/16)
L(maximum) = 47.0644 (1 27/32) x SS - 42.3308 (1 21/32)

Ow, my head. That confusing jumble is because they're trying to accommodate both metric and Imperial units. The decimal numbers are millimeters, and the numbers in parentheses are inches. (It took me ten minutes of staring at this to figure that out, by the way.) "SS" is the "screen size", but in this case, it's the diagonal dimension of the screen. Note that there are two charts in the book, one for 16:9 and one for 4:3.

The millimeter numbers in the book are given to much higher precision than for inches -- it looks like they actually generated the true numbers using metric values, then converted to the nearest 1/32 of an inch. Why don't we use the high-precision metric numbers, but convert them to decimal inches for our convenience?

31.1781mm = 1.2275"
46.1542mm = 1.8171"
47.0644mm = 1.8529"
42.3308mm = 1.6666"

Now, our formula is a bit clearer:

L(minimum) = 1.2275 x SS - 1.8171
L(maximum) = 1.8529 x SS - 1.6666

Plugging in your 92" diagonal screen, we get:

L(minimum) = 1.2275 x 92 - 1.8171
L(maximum) = 1.8529 x 92 - 1.6666

L(minimum) = 111.1129"
L(maximum) = 168.80"

How about that? Pretty darned close to the numbers we got above using just the throw figures derived from the chart!

I think the formula is more precise than using simple throw figures, since there is a small correction factor (the subtracted number), but using the throw numbers should get you pretty darned close for typical theater screen sizes.

Mike Kobb
post #916 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eazyriderr View Post

AVFORUMS.COM video review is out,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S77R7YwC6E0

Their review is real similar to my experience when I demo'd the HW30. The 3D image was very good, although I wish there wasn't such a light drop off when viewing in 3D.
post #917 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 12:12 PM

Incredible response!

Thanks you very much!
post #918 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Most welcome! I've had a hard time finding a lot of this stuff online as I work on my own theater, so I'm happy to share what I eventually figured out.

Mike Kobb
post #919 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 03:15 PM

One other question, Where would you recommend purchasing the CAT-7 cable required for the 3d emitter????

I usually use monoprice.com to get my bulk cat6 cable, but they do not seem to stock the cat7.
post #920 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
From what I understand it does not need to be Cat. 7. Either Cat 5 or Cat 6 will work. I just bought a Cat 6 cable with RJ45 male ends. I am assuming this is the correct type.

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #921 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM

Thanks for this great thread! I have just bought the projector and have only several hours on it. I like it very much in 2D, but I have two issues and I am not sure about the solution:

1. My projector is not as quiet as I expected. It makes a high-pitched sound that is quite audible in all modes (more or less).
2. I am not able to find an ideal 3D setting. 3D is always too ghosty for me, I see ghost everywhere. (My Acer 5360 is still better in ghosting, because it has virtually none doubled pictures in 3D).

What are the best 3d setting? I use the Sony glasses attached in the box...

Many thanks for your comments. I played several hours with all settings but still not happy with 3D. I will play more with hope that I will find a solution. 2D is stunning!
post #922 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoby View Post

1. My projector is not as quiet as I expected. It makes a high-pitched sound that is quite audible in all modes (more or less).

There seems to be either varying degrees of fan noise with different models of this projector, or varying degrees of ear sensitivity by it's owners. Some claim it to be whisper quiet, even on high lamp mode. I would say mine is fairly quiet, but not as quiet as I'd like. Admittedly the listening position is only around 5' from the projector for me. I can only hear it when there is absolutely no music or dialog going on, but I can definitely hear it, even on low lamp mode. If you read this thread there is a guy on here who had it so bad he switched his out. I believe he claimed to be able to hear it from the next room. That is definitely not the case for mine.
post #923 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There seems to be either varying degrees of fan noise with different models of this projector, or varying degrees of ear sensitivity by it's owners. Some claim it to be whisper quiet, even on high lamp mode. I would say mine is fairly quiet, but not as quiet as I'd like. Admittedly the listening position is only around 5' from the projector for me. I can only hear it when there is absolutely no music or dialog going on, but I can definitely hear it, even on low lamp mode. If you read this thread there is a guy on here who had it so bad he switched his out. I believe he claimed to be able to hear it from the next room. That is definitely not the case for mine.

It is definetely variance between projectors (I'm the guy you were referring to). My first was very high pitched and audible from far away, although some people said they couldnt really hear it (I'm sensitive to higher pitches). My second replacement unit I got is really quiet like the model I heard at best buy.
post #924 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 05:27 PM

Thanks! In the meantime, I found a very good 3D setting and it is much much better now. Ghosting is rather a minor issue at the moment - not perfect, but 3D is finally more enjoyable than on Acer 5360 (but the Acer is still better in ghosting absence).

The high-pitched sound is not very nice - it is quite audible even in the low lamp mode. I am not sure about the solution yet. I will consider a replacement. I will give it a time in hope that the sound will change...

(Sorry for possible mistakes in English, I am not a native speaker.)
post #925 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Thanks! In the meantime, I found a very good 3D setting and it is much much better now. Ghosting is rather a minor issue at the moment - not perfect, but 3D is finally more enjoyable than on Acer 5360 (but the Acer is still better in ghosting absence).

The high-pitched sound is not very nice - it is quite audible even in the low lamp mode. I am not sure about the solution yet. I will consider a replacement. I will give it a time in hope that the sound will change...

Just curious, but what settings are you using?

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #926 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi, I also have the Acer 5360... it's a special little projector since ghosting just isn't possible on the 3D DLP.

Take a look here for some progress I made with the Monster Vision 3D glasses in regard to minimizing ghosting on the H30.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post20912072
post #927 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy View Post

I would check that each connection between your server and your htpc is actually gigabit. I wasted hours the other night trying to figure out why I had the same problem as you do, and figured out my switch in my room was only connecting to my main router at 100Mbit. The HTPC's connection showed 1gigabit so I thought everything was fine, which threw me off for hours.

An easy way to see what you are connected at through the whole chain is to start copying a huge file and see the transfer rate. If its around 12MB/s then you are at 100Mbit, if you are near 100MB/s then you are at gigabit.

Thanks for this...this actually turned out to be the problem. I did the file copy test and was only getting 2-4 MB/s. Not sure what the deal was but I rebooted my server and it seemed to fix it. Even after that I was only getting 16 MB/s, but perhaps that is a limitation of the hard drive? Either way, it was enough to play a 3D Bluray ISO with no stutter.

3D in the home is nice and all, but I have to say it's quite a racket to set it up (particularly through the HTPC). There's no way I could train my wife or kids to get it going on their own. Using something like TotalMedia Theatre or PowerDVD makes me realize how great XBMC is. Would be nice if that supported 3D playback.

So I'll probably limit my 3D viewing to the IMAX documentary types like 'Under The Sea'. I just don't see it as being worth it for feature films. I've heard there are a couple of good ones out there, but it seems like most of them weren't filmed for 3D.

As for the 3D quality of the HW30, I watched about 10 minutes of each of the 3 features on the IMAX 3D Triple Feature, and about 20 minutes of 'How To Train Your Dragon'. I thought the quality was very good...I noticed some ghosting on 'How To Train Your Dragon', but nothing that really impacted my viewing experience.
post #928 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

T

3D in the home is nice and all, but I have to say it's quite a racket to set it up (particularly through the HTPC). There's no way I could train my wife or kids to get it going on their own. Using something like TotalMedia Theatre or PowerDVD makes me realize how great XBMC is. Would be nice if that supported 3D playback.

I posted earlier, but I think you might have missed it. I am picking up the new Xtreamer media tank that claims it's 1.4 and can handle 3D bluray. My family can easily use my Popcorn hour A110 and the C200 but they are dinosaurs since they can't handle 3D.

it's only $200 so it's worth a shot to see if I can get the jukebox style back for the ease of use.
post #929 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Careful with the Xtreamer, they have a long list of unkept promises and pissed off customers. Check out MPC Club forums and you will see how unpopular they are.

Just a friendly warning.
post #930 of 3330 Old 09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a 2.40 aspect ration screen which is 55 x 132. What is my 16:9 width?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page