2Likes

post #991 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

RIO a great movie, lots of fun with music and good 3D. IMO, if you want to see hands down, the best 3D animation on the market, import a copy of 'Sammy's Adventure'. it's a handbook on how to do 3D right.

There isn't a US released 3D BD with the articulated 3D detail of this movie. They nailed it from beginning to end. It's the first movie I put on to show folks who visit who haven't seen 3D.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtles-Tale...6279122&sr=8-2

Its a great price in the UK but region 2. The Region 1 disc from Amazon USA/(Hong Kong) is $50! I must pass at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
After reading a lot of posts about DI I have to ask these questions. I tried to do some searches, but with two letters it was impossible.

What is DI and what does it do?

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #993 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Dynamic Iris, it's like Dynamic Contrast on flat panels.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #994 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Boy that was fast!!

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS
post #995 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 03:46 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

In the 3D menu there are two controls that affect the 3D effect. The 3D brightness I think would be user set to the maximum setting except for tiytles that ghosting was visable on and annowing because of contrast differences. The 3d brightness controls how long and implicitly the timing of the turn on for each shutter. On most 3D titles I set the 3D brightness to max. Because there is so little ghosting with the Sony. Turning the brightness down on the glasses will reduce the ghosting in two ways. One the shutters being closed reduce the time your eyes see part of an image they shouldn't see and by reducing the brightness the intensity of the ghost is reduced because your eyes have more difficulty seeing it.

The 3D depth control is something I have to get a handle on how it works. I am never sure where exactly to set it and I like it from 0 through the one, two, or three (I think three) steps that are available. I have more or less sretlled on setting it at one from the max because set at the max thre 3D is too intense, like sittingtoo close but I sometimes play with it while watching and my eyes quickly settle in regardless of that setting.

I need to do some reading about what it does in theory, ewhat changes inside the projector or how it changes the display, and some basis for setting it based on screen size and viewing distance.

I believe that it is the parallax adjustment. It changes the crossing point of the right eye and left eye images. Cross earlier and the image comes out of the screen farther. Decrease the parallax and the image does not come out as much. At least that is how I understand it.
post #996 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFiFun View Post

Its a great price in the UK but region 2. The Region 1 disc from Amazon USA/(Hong Kong) is $50! I must pass at this time.

ahh I keep forgetting BD players have to deal with regions. My HTPC plays 'em no matter what region they are from.

I have all 3D blurays that have been released (US or import), I still think the Sammy's Adventure is worth the Asian import.

It's a cheap way to show people what thousands of dollars in 3D projectors can do. There is no 3D like this movie.
post #997 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 09:22 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So Jason, you have all 3D blurays released...have you tried to watch 'Monster House' through your HTPC? I got the disc, ripped it to ISO (with ANYDVD HD), but when I try to play the 3D version via the menu (through TMT 5), a message pops up saying it requires a 3D enabled player and TV to play the 3D version of the movie. Even though the menu itself is in 3D. It's as though it's not registering that I have a 3D enabled TV.

Unfortunately I can't test just playing the disc itself since my HTPC doesn't even have a Bluray drive in it at the moment - my Bluray drive is in my desktop PC where I do most of my ripping.
post #998 of 3273 Old 09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

So Jason, you have all 3D blurays released...have you tried to watch 'Monster House' through your HTPC? I got the disc, ripped it to ISO (with ANYDVD HD), but when I try to play the 3D version via the menu (through TMT 5), a message pops up saying it requires a 3D enabled player and TV to play the 3D version of the movie. Even though the menu itself is in 3D. It's as though it's not registering that I have a 3D enabled TV.

Unfortunately I can't test just playing the disc itself since my HTPC doesn't even have a Bluray drive in it at the moment - my Bluray drive is in my desktop PC where I do most of my ripping.

it's been a while since i've seen this, but don't recall issues playing it back in 3D on the Acer 5360 or the JVC RS50. I can try it again over the next few nights and let you know.

I am fairly certain I was using PDVD10 at the time, but have TMT5 now too.
post #999 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Regarding the person who asked about JVC RS40 vs. Sony HW30, I saw both this weekend, JVC at a standalone Magnolia store, the HW30 at a Magnolia inside a Best Buy. I asked the salesperson how many hours were on lamp of RS40 and he said he thought about 600 but didn't want to be bothered to verify, it was VERY dark even when we played with different picture modes in 2D. And 3D was a complete joke, it was SO dark and it was littered with tons of ghosting, this was the worst 3D demo I've ever seen. The screen was 100" diagonal.

The HW30 is beautiful, really really liked it. Unfortunately they aren't running HDMI to it based on how they do their video distribution so no way to demo 3D but I was very happy with the 2D picture, very punchy, nice sharpness. Ofcourse this was with a relatively new lamp in the Sony but even if you replace lamps frequently I've read the Sony lamp is about half as expensive as the JVC lamp so doable...

Tested Frame Interpolation modes in JVC and Sony, the Sony FI was much, much better than the JVC.
post #1000 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 06:57 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

Regarding the person who asked about JVC RS40 vs. Sony HW30, I saw both this weekend, JVC at a standalone Magnolia store, the HW30 at a Magnolia inside a Best Buy. I asked the salesperson how many hours were on lamp of RS40 and he said he thought about 600 but didn't want to be bothered to verify, it was VERY dark even when we played with different picture modes in 2D. And 3D was a complete joke, it was SO dark and it was littered with tons of ghosting, this was the worst 3D demo I've ever seen. The screen was 100" diagonal.

The HW30 is beautiful, really really liked it. Unfortunately they aren't running HDMI to it based on how they do their video distribution so no way to demo 3D but I was very happy with the 2D picture, very punchy, nice sharpness. Ofcourse this was with a relatively new lamp in the Sony but even if you replace lamps frequently I've read the Sony lamp is about half as expensive as the JVC lamp so doable...

Tested Frame Interpolation modes in JVC and Sony, the Sony FI was much, much better than the JVC.

I didn't make it to CEDIA so haven't seen anything. How do you think the HW30 will compare with the RS45??
post #1001 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WynsWrld98 View Post

I've seen some bad DI's before with noticeable pumping in between scenes. Same for FI, it generally looks too artificial and I only used it a handful of times on the JVC.

The Sony has done well with both the DI and the FI. I like FI on low with 3D and Sports, 2D BD doesn't really need it.

What is up with BB not being able to hook up a simple HDMI cable? I would think Sony would be giving them basic instructions on how to plug in a 3D bluray player with a demo disk.

I remember years ago Sony had elaborate setups in Circuit City with home theater type seating to show off their latest TV sets. I think they were rear projection DLP's.
post #1002 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 09:53 PM

BB at Appleton, WI had the HW30 with component 720p. After a bunch of 'suggesting' they just hang a HDMI from a BD player, they complied. Night & day difference. Couldn't get a 3D demo ( "we don't have a network cable" ) but the 2D was very nice. Need to talk to the AVS boys for pricing on the 95 now.
post #1003 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 09:59 PM

This projector ticks a lot of boxes but looking into it more it seems to have a few glaring omissions..

The 1.6x zoom is a lot less than the Epson/Pana/JVC and when relying on the zoom method, your max screen size in 2.35:1 mode is quite small when you have a short throw due to room size restrictions (for some reason I couldn't find a calculator for the HW30 on Projector Central to see exactly how small).

Also, there is no Anamorphic stretch mode which means I can't use an anamorphic lens without an additional video processor...

Have I got some of this wrong? It seems like a great projector but with the limited zoom + no stretch mode it seems that 2.35:1 screen owners will have some pretty severe limitations to contend with.
post #1004 of 3273 Old 09-18-2011, 11:15 PM

Hey guys.
Thanks to many helpful comments in this thread I have bought the hw30 and am so happy with it. Its my first projector so im blown away by it. Then I decided to read some posts here yesterday and it messed up my mind :S.

I have bought a 1.0 grandview 112' screen and im very happy with it(again nothing to compare it to) then I kept reading people posting here on how big a difference a higher gain screen would affect the brightness and pop effect of the 3d.

Im really happy with the 3d brightness of it now and its not even set to max but the pop effect is what got me thinking if its really that much of a big deal I might change my screen. So can someone please let me know how big of a difference higher gain screens will b and how bad the viewing angle for guests will be?

thanks
post #1005 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve21 View Post
This projector ticks a lot of boxes but looking into it more it seems to have a few glaring omissions..

The 1.6x zoom is a lot less than the Epson/Pana/JVC and when relying on the zoom method, your max screen size in 2.35:1 mode is quite small when you have a short throw due to room size restrictions (for some reason I couldn't find a calculator for the HW30 on Projector Central to see exactly how small).

Also, there is no Anamorphic stretch mode which means I can't use an anamorphic lens without an additional video processor...

Have I got some of this wrong? It seems like a great projector but with the limited zoom + no stretch mode it seems that 2.35:1 screen owners will have some pretty severe limitations to contend with.
New BD players will do the stretch (Oppo?) and so will the DVDO Edge Green, both solutions under $500 (plus you get a ton of other benefits with either).
post #1006 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko10 View Post
Hey guys.
...I have bought a 1.0 grandview 112' screen and im very happy with it(again nothing to compare it to) then I kept reading people posting here on how big a difference a higher gain screen would affect the brightness and pop effect of the 3d.

Im really happy with the 3d brightness of it now and its not even set to max but the pop effect is what got me thinking if its really that much of a big deal I might change my screen. So can someone please let me know how big of a difference higher gain screens will b and how bad the viewing angle for guests will be?

thanks
If you want to stay happy don't look at this post.
post #1007 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post
If you want to stay happy don't look at this post.
Haha already did. So for 4 people hp screens are fine for viewing angles?. also I cant mount the projector low so is it still worth it?
post #1008 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 09:08 AM

Samples are great but they dont tell the whole picture. Unless, you have two screens side by side, its hard to tell what the difference will be and thankfully that is good. You like your screen cause you have nothing to compare it to so be happy with what you got and dont worry about higher gain screens. As for 3D, higher gain screens can help, but polarization is a bigger issue and gain doesnt come into play. You can have a lower gain screen do better than a higher gain screen depending on how it deals with polarization
post #1009 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko10 View Post

Haha already did. So for 4 people hp screens are fine for viewing angles?. also I cant mount the projector low so is it still worth it?

It depends on the screen material. My 2.8HP is 142" and I only have 4 seats across and adding 4 more in the back. For this setup, it's perfect for me. I just setup a friends 2.4HP and the viewing angle is better on this screen than the 2.8, but not by much and it's a fair amount dimmer than the 2.8 in my opinion.

The dalite does require a low mounting for maximum gain since a retroflective screen throws the 'amplified' light directly back at the source of the light. I have my projectors about 6-8" above eye level and you will squint during bright scenes even through the 3D glasses, it's that bright.

other companies screens high gain screens can be angular reflective and handle different projectors positions better than the dalite HP. The Black Diamond 2.7 is interested, I have to see it in person to make sure it doesn't hot spot or have sparkles. (a noticeable 'texture' to the screen)

reminder that the lamp with a new projector is as good as it gets, then it's all downhill from there in regard to lumen output. It just depends on how long it takes regarding the quality of the lamp. Your best bet is to check out the screens forums, there are members who go through 3-4 different screens until they settle on the one they like and you can find plenty of comments regarding the various high power screens.

My HP screen is the very last thing to go in my theater until we have 2k+ lumen projectors @ D65. I like bright. Visitors are generally shocked when they see it, the comments are that they think it looks like 10+ foot wide plasma screen hanging on the wall.
post #1010 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 10:54 AM

Remember, the loss of gain on the screens are somewhat gradual. It doesnnt go from 2.8 to 1 because the projector is off by a foot. You will still get gain even if the projector is on the ceiling. That is what we do for pulldowns. We typically sell it with HP even though the projector is ceiling mounted. YOu still retain enough gain plus the material is more durable
post #1011 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Advanced Member

zombie,

I finally got some time to sit down with the monsters, and they are equivalent to my Sony glasses for brightness and ghosting out of the box... there must be some type of variation between the RF units. I'm still going to try and fiddle with it to get settings that get rid of it more. I'll keep you posted... but like I said, out of the box... its hard to tell a difference between which glasses I have on.

The monsters have an annoying buzz in them near the power indicator... both of my glasses have it. The Sony doesnt do it.

Just opening the settings app, it looks like this:
delay: 1150
duty cycle: 89
post #1012 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

Cool, sitting here with my laptop, I can fiddle with it in realtime as I move the slider
post #1013 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Found settings that I can't see any ghosting anywhere:
Delay: 2520
duty cycle: 75

Getting rid of most of it, I use these settings:

80%

By most of it, I mean that really bright thin liners on black background I see slight ghosting, but not much, and don't notice it anywhere else. There really isn't a noticeable difference in brightness from the Sony glasses at these settings, so that is what I'm going with.

The buzzing the glasses make is really annoying though. Does that go away?
post #1014 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Zombie and Roshy,

I live in Canada and couldn't get them here but I have a friend that lives here but works in Buffalo so I had a pair of the Monsters shipped to him along with 2 pairs of Xpands and got them this weekend. I love the Monster glasses, they work just as well as the Sony's I think and I haven't even tried to calibrate them to see if I can make them better yet. Also they are way more comfortable so I don't get that pressure on my nose after 30 mins with the Sony pairs. I did get that slight buzzing sound but was able to get rid of it by dropping the 3D brightness setting on the projector down to 3. I was surprised how easy they were to sink up as well, I plugged the RF transmitter and IR receiver into my PS3 and payed it on my ottoman and it synced up with no problems. I will defiantly get another pair of the Monster glasses. I also got the xpands to work and they look pretty good as well but will give those ones to guests use lol.
post #1015 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:20 PM

Roshy, thanks for posting the settings, do you know if their software supports a Mac to dial the Monster glasses in or is it just supported in Windows?
post #1016 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Roshy - thanks for posting your info. I never thought to try them in real time with the software because the IR receiver didn't work with my JVC and I was obligated to use the USB port for the 3 PIN VESA connection to the JVC.

Neither of mine buzz, but I definitely recall folks in the MV3D thread under the '3D' section of the site claiming they heard buzzing and swapped them out for others that didn't have the buzz. This sounds like it could be a manufacturing issue.

I'll check my settings this week to see if they are close to yours.

Shadow - with the brightness of the HW30 set to 3, I can't really tell a difference in brightness on the MV3D, but you can see the slight drop on the Sony's. I agree about the Sony nose piece, my nose hurts quite a bit after a while with the Sony's. The MV3D's IMO are the most comfortable 3D glasses i've tried to far.

I do think they are a bit fragile and would reserve to give them to kids or careless adults.
post #1017 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy View Post

Found settings that I can't see any ghosting anywhere:
Delay: 2520
duty cycle: 75

Getting rid of most of it, I use these settings:

80%

By most of it, I mean that really bright thin liners on black background I see slight ghosting, but not much, and don't notice it anywhere else. There really isn't a noticeable difference in brightness from the Sony glasses at these settings, so that is what I'm going with.

The buzzing the glasses make is really annoying though. Does that go away?

Mine are shipping today so I will probably need to recall this info later. Also did you get iRule controlling your HW30ES figured out?
post #1018 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

I might have to try and take my two pairs of monster glasses back to best buy then and hope to get others that don't have the buzzing issue. I'll try turning down the brightness first, but I don't really want to use that as a solution since it will impact the viewing experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Mine are shipping today so I will probably need to recall this info later. Also did you get iRule controlling your HW30ES figured out?

I haven't yet... I got the Null modem cable from monoprice the other day to make sure it wasn't the cable I made, and the monoprice one didn't work either, I even tried a seperate straight through modem cable with a null modem adapter. I need to pick up one of those USB comm port things and try to communicate from my PC to the projector, and my PC to the GC100 to see which end I'm having the problem on. Hopefully it isn't the projector, I don't really want to swap it out again Worst comes to worse, I'll have to turn the projector on with its remote and use irule for everything else.
post #1019 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow39 View Post

Roshy, thanks for posting the settings, do you know if their software supports a Mac to dial the Monster glasses in or is it just supported in Windows?

I'm not sure if they do or not, you'll have to check their website to see if theres also a mac application. I'd check for you, but I don't have it bookmarked and have to get back to my daughter downstairs who's probably up to no good. This Mr. mom stuff would be pretty cool if my daughter would just listen to me
post #1020 of 3273 Old 09-19-2011, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshy View Post

I'm not sure if they do or not, you'll have to check their website to see if theres also a mac application. I'd check for you, but I don't have it bookmarked and have to get back to my daughter downstairs who's probably up to no good. This Mr. mom stuff would be pretty cool if my daughter would just listen to me

I didn't see a MAC application, but can't imagine it wouldn't work in parallels with Windows XP or Windows 7. It has pretty good support for USB devices.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page