4Likes

post #2341 of 3309 Old 03-16-2012, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalto View Post

Mine just started flickering, 219 hours and ran in low lamp. Mine started during a calbration sesson and adjusting the contrast offsets.

Did Sony replace it for you under warranty?

Mine started flickering at just over 100 hours. I put it into high mode for around 45 minutes and then it went away immediately - then I switched back to low and it's been okay since. Here's hoping it doesn't come back. Maybe give that a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2342 of 3309 Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoho View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoho View Post

uh oh...

Have 890 hours on my hw30. Tonight it shut down on me in the middle of watching a movie. I turned it back on and it shut down again in about 10 minutes. After that, i noticed the lamp/cover light flashing 3 times, which according to the manual means either the lamp has reached the end of it's useful lifespan or the lamp has reached a high temperature. I don't think i like either of those scenarios. The projector had been on for about 4 hours, which is not even close to the longest i've had it on in one sitting. Has anyone else experienced this?

just an update to this, i called sony and i'm sending the unit to their texas facility for repair. I brought up the fact that i think my fan has been louder than it should be since day one, and they agreed something might not be right if the lamp only has 900 hours, still comes on, and couldn't possibly have enough time to overheat in the less than a minute it now takes before it shuts down.

So no projector for me, probably for at least 3 weeks. though, i did hook up my trusty old sanyo plv-z4 (the most under-appreciated projector ever made).

Another update. I sent my projector to Laredo, TX for service. After not hearing from them for 4 days after I knew it had arrived at their facility, I decided to call them to find out the deal. The first call I made they said someone would be calling me within 24 hours. Then after 48 hours I made another call and they said someone would call me that day. Then I called the next day and they said the lamp just needs to be replaced and I just need to approve the charge for $289. I said I wanted to talk to someone who could give me the details on what they did and if they fixed the fan noise which I believed to be too loud. They basically gave me the run-around and said all the notes said was the lamp needed to be replaced and everything else was fine. I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to and they outright said, "No." I even asked to speak to their supervisor and they said, "My supervisor can't help you."

So I didn't give the approval for the new lamp and decided to take the weekend to think on it. I'm sure I'll end up calling on Monday and approving the charge just to get my projector back but I'm really disappointed in Sony (not that I should be surprised). I'm very happy with the IQ of this projector, but at this point if I could get my money back on it I would. I only bought it 5 months ago.
post #2343 of 3309 Old 03-16-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

Sorry, yes the RF emitter always needs 5VDC power supplied by either the mini plug, or via the USB port, regardless of whether or not the IR receiver is used.

For more detail about the 'a simple cable', go read the post/link provided.

thanks again for your quick reply.

I ve read 1525 and 1528 but the technical discussion is way over my knowledge. Can you maybe just help me with still the questions I have?:

Can I just use a USB power adapter (like my Samsung Galaxy S power adapter) and plug it in the emitter to get my Optoma glasses work with the VW95 (do NOT need the Sony glasses to work!)?

IF this works, where should I put the BC-100 then for best signal?

And what does the arrow buttons do on the BC-100 emitter?

ps. Also got a reply in the Monster Vision thread about my questions:

Quote:

the connector on the Sony is nonstandard. The BC-10 IR reciever only comes with the Monster 3d Max set, not with the Optoma branded set, and I have never seen them made available separately. You'll need to make or acquire the custom cable. It is not known whether the Optima BC-100 will take the Monster firmware, nor whether the Optoma firmware will use the BC-10.

What does this tell me?

EDIT: also related to the Optoma emitter but for later, first I want to make the emitter actually work but I need input on the above questions.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=549
post #2344 of 3309 Old 03-17-2012, 03:08 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just unboxed MV3D. But failed to set it up with my Sony HW30.

I was using the IR/RF transmitter, got 5 LEDs of signal strength. Sony glasses worked, but the MV glasses didn't open up. They were very dark.

When I pressed the power button on the MV, the glasses open up for a sec or so. Afterwards, they remained very dark.

Any suggestions for trouble shooting?

____________________________________________________________ _______________________
Problem solved: The cycle time was defaulted to 10%. Changed it to 80% solved the problem.
post #2345 of 3309 Old 03-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Another update. I sent my projector to Laredo, TX for service. After not hearing from them for 4 days after I knew it had arrived at their facility, I decided to call them to find out the deal. The first call I made they said someone would be calling me within 24 hours. Then after 48 hours I made another call and they said someone would call me that day. Then I called the next day and they said the lamp just needs to be replaced and I just need to approve the charge for $289. I said I wanted to talk to someone who could give me the details on what they did and if they fixed the fan noise which I believed to be too loud. They basically gave me the run-around and said all the notes said was the lamp needed to be replaced and everything else was fine. I asked if there was anyone else I could talk to and they outright said, "No." I even asked to speak to their supervisor and they said, "My supervisor can't help you."

So I didn't give the approval for the new lamp and decided to take the weekend to think on it. I'm sure I'll end up calling on Monday and approving the charge just to get my projector back but I'm really disappointed in Sony (not that I should be surprised). I'm very happy with the IQ of this projector, but at this point if I could get my money back on it I would. I only bought it 5 months ago.

I'm sorry and disappointed to hear about this.

Like pinball? Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #2346 of 3309 Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Advanced Member

Just a small update to my lamp flicker. After I posted I decided to turn the unit off and see if it was overheating and when I went to turn it back on, I got the dreaded red flashing lights over and over. I have this sync issue with my Onkyo 809 to where if the receiver is on first, the projector won't start with this problem. I turned off the receiver and tried to power up the Sony but no go. After unplugging the Sony and letting it sit for an hour I tried again and same thing. This time I decided to unplug the Onkyo from the wall and sure enough, the Sony powered right up but the flickering returned. I noticed my PS3 was still on from my calibration attempt so I turned it off, unplugged the onkyo, turned off the projector and let it sit and about 30 minutes later the flickering was gone.

Half way into calibration attempt number 2 the flicker was there off and on in low lamp mode but eventually worked itself out. Hopefully this might help someone going through the same thing with the red flashing lights.

On another note, has anyone been able to use the Sony software to calibrate their unit since the CMS system isn't working properly or know of a trick to work around the artifacts issue? This is my first attempt at using an i1 to calibrate it so any help or tips would be appreciated.
post #2347 of 3309 Old 03-17-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

Mine started flickering at just over 100 hours. I put it into high mode for around 45 minutes and then it went away immediately - then I switched back to low and it's been okay since. Here's hoping it doesn't come back. Maybe give that a try.

I bought 2 spare lamps and just swapped them out. Never called sony. The new lamp, I am going to run on high for the first 500 hours just to be safe, then hopefully, no flicker
post #2348 of 3309 Old 03-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Liked: 10
Can anyone help me obtain the latest version of Image Director?
Thanks, Chris
post #2349 of 3309 Old 03-18-2012, 07:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 35
What is needed to use the monstervision glasses? Can I get the non-A version and just the monster glasses or is there something else needed? I don't want to get the Sony glasses if I can avoid it.

Visit the

2.0 done and finally posted! - 

And now...
post #2350 of 3309 Old 03-19-2012, 06:34 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
^^This is what you need. You either have to have this IR Receiver which only comes in this kit I believe or you have to use a custom wire as talked about in this thread. I am not sure if AVS sells this or not but you can check with them. Link is for info purposes only.

http://www.amazon.com/MonsterVision-...2163941&sr=8-1
post #2351 of 3309 Old 03-19-2012, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Does the 3D emitter from the glasses replace the one from Sony or do they have to be used together?

Visit the

And now...
post #2352 of 3309 Old 03-19-2012, 08:39 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You still use the IR emitter from the Sony... what comes with the glasses is the IR receiver that receives what the Sony is outputting through their emitter.
post #2353 of 3309 Old 03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Hey guys,

As spring (bad storms) and summer (brown outs) approach, I decided it's time to get a simple UPS so my projector can fully cool off should power suddenly go out while I am using it, as I assume this is better for bulb life correct?

Any recommendations for a reliable UPS that won't break the bank?

Thanks!
post #2354 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I run all my home theater equipment off of something similar to this: CyberPower UPS.

You can do the math on your equipment to figure out how much power you need. We had some storms roll through last night and the lights were flickering, but my projector and equipment kept working as if nothing happened. I want to pick up another one for my networking equipment so I can keep using the internet during power outages too
post #2355 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Still no answer so I ll try it again

I m from Europe (Netherlands) and bought the 2 Optoma RF glasses for my Sony projector (because they suppose to give much better results, more brighness and less ghosting, then the original Sony glasses).

But I need to know some things about the Optoma emitter:

Since I ve heard that the Optoma BC-100 is the exact same emitter as the MV3D emitter I downloaded the MonsterVision utility for my PC. I tried to update the firmware of the BC-100. Everything goes as described in the update manual of MonsterVision and it looks like firmware version 1.05.010 is loaded to the emitter. But after reconnecting the BC-100 emitter to my and load the MonsterVision utility again the software still says 1.05.004...... So either firmware 1.05.010 is actually NOT applied to the emitter (and the Optoma BC-100 is not compatible with the MV3D software) OR the Monster Vision software reports incorrect information.

Can anyone tell me anything about this?
post #2356 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolplazma View Post

For the simple cable, get an ethernet patch cable and snip off one connector/end. Take rj45 pins 3,7,8 together and solder to the ground pin on the vesa connector. rj45 pin 4 (emitter sync sig) goes to the vesa sync pin. Then connect a usb cable to the MV RF emitter port - use any usb port as a power supply for the 5VDC.

What vesa connector are you speaking about? Directly on the MV3D emitter or did you pickup a mini-jack plug as pictured in the complex version?

Also, I haven't gotten my MV3D yet, but what kind of USB power connection is there? Mini-usb? Is it the square or flat kind?

Visit the

And now...
post #2357 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

I was about 4 hours into a gaming session when my projector turned off on it's own and blinked the red light 3 times which means either the lamp needs replaced or the unit got too hot and had to shut off. I waited 15 mins and turned it back on.....picture looks completely fine so I am assuming it is not the lamp. Turned the fan on 'High' and have had no issues so far.

Where I live we have been having record warm late winter/early spring weather so my theater room has been getting warmer than usual since the only circulation it gets is central air which is not turned on at the moment (whereas in the winter the room is always 68 degrees F). Should I just leave the fan on High until we turn the AC on in a month or so?

It's not too terribly loud when a movie or game is going, but it is definitely noticeable during regular TV viewing
post #2358 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 05:29 PM

Woohoo!! I just received my HW30!

So now since I'm a complete noob, what are the tests i need to do to make sure it's not a deficient unit?

I'm running off to browse the manual.

post #2359 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

So my projector just gave me the 3 blinking red lights again.....fan was running at high speed and the projector had only been on for 20 mins. It wasn't even warm when I touched it after I turned it off. Unplugged it for 30 seconds and then turned it back on. Picture still looks like normal. Hmmmmm

Guess I have to call Sony and get a new bulb
post #2360 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Just turned off again 15mins into using it. Son of a !!!!
post #2361 of 3309 Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Just turned off again 15mins into using it. Son of a !!!!

That's exactly what started happening to me. How many hours on the bulb? If it's the same issue as me, the shut downs will start happening quicker and quicker until it only stays on for about a minute.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21789638
post #2362 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I was finally able to make the custom cable needed for the MV3D emitter myself (with some help of John). My emitter is now connected to the Sony and I m ready to use my MV3D (Optoma RF) glasses.

How do I pair the glasses with the emitter?

I can set the polarity to TWO red leds or THREE red leds. What is the recommended setting of polarity for the VW95?

I can set the DELAY TUNING and LENS DUTY CYCLE TUNING with the arrows in the submenu of the emitter. What are the best settings for the VW95/what is a good starting-point?

thanks!
post #2363 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

That's exactly what started happening to me. How many hours on the bulb? If it's the same issue as me, the shut downs will start happening quicker and quicker until it only stays on for about a minute.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post21789638

700 hours in bulb. Calling Sony soon for a replacement.
post #2364 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
so to maybe avoid these buld issues, if I am reading what everyone is saying properly...is to run this in High mode? which should be fine as I have a sorta light controlled enviroment, but there is light..I will be projecting a 100" screen with 1.1 gain and projector mounted at 13'2". so high shouldnt wash out my picture.
post #2365 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart628 View Post

so to maybe avoid these buld issues, if I am reading what everyone is saying properly...is to run this in High mode? which should be fine as I have a sorta light controlled enviroment, but there is light..I will be projecting a 100" screen with 1.1 gain and projector mounted at 13'2". so high shouldnt wash out my picture.

If anything, running the bulb in high mode will speed up any pre-mature failure problem. I would suggest putting the fan on 'High' mode, but not the bulb (if possible unless you need the extra light output).
post #2366 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Well regular customer support got me as far as I expected: no where so I ordered a new bulb from Amazon (overnight shipping).

In the meantime I emailed SonyListens, as they handle any and all customer dissatisfaction problems in a very fair and compromising way (dealt with them in the past when my old SXRD rear projection TV stopped working out of warranty, they offered me a brand new 60" LED TV for $800 shipped). We'll see what comes of all of this as I am very disappointed in the fact that now I don't know how long to expect out of my next bulb and the bulb after that, etc
post #2367 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM

Liked: 20
You guys might want to check the filter to make sure it is not clogged. Sony bulbs come with a new filter included, that's how critical the filter is to maintaining air flow to prevent over heating.
post #2368 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 4 View Post

You guys might want to check the filter to make sure it is not clogged. Sony bulbs come with a new filter included, that's how critical the filter is to maintaining air flow to prevent over heating.

When I took my projector down last night to take the bulb out I also took the filter out and was surprised to see that there was practically no dust present.
post #2369 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 11:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

Well regular customer support got me as far as I expected: no where so I ordered a new bulb from Amazon (overnight shipping).

In the meantime I emailed SonyListens, as they handle any and all customer dissatisfaction problems in a very fair and compromising way (dealt with them in the past when my old SXRD rear projection TV stopped working out of warranty, they offered me a brand new 60" LED TV for $800 shipped). We'll see what comes of all of this as I am very disappointed in the fact that now I don't know how long to expect out of my next bulb and the bulb after that, etc

Yeah very disappointing. I called back the other day after cooling off a bit and they're shipping it back to me with a new bulb (of course at my expense).

I really have no interest in running the fan on high full time - way too loud.

Pretty scary that just a couple weeks before I had a bunch of people over watching the Super Bowl. Can't imagine if this happened in the middle of that. Even if I had a spare bulb ready I'd still have to take the projector down from the ceiling, put the bulb in and put it back up.

I guess I only have myself to blame. I ended a 10+ year Sony boycott buying this projector due to quality issues I've had in the past with Sony products.

BigCoolJesus, wasn't aware of SonyListens, but I will certainly be contacting them. How does one contact them?
post #2370 of 3309 Old 03-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah my filter was squeaky clean. For kicks I did clean it though before sending it in and the projector still shut down.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page