Official Sony VPL-HW30(A)ES Owners Thread - Page 81 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #2401 of 3317 Old 03-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just saw Hugo in 3D. Movie was a little slow for me, but the use of 3D was amazing. It's up there with Avatar in giving the movie goer a better experience.

Ghosting is more apparent in character close ups and whenever Borat is on screen with the Sony glasses. I'm going have to test them with the Monsters but the battery was dead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2402 of 3317 Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 AM

Hi all, some of the earlier posts in the thread mentioned the HW30 having "no warm up time versus the JVC offerings".

However, I've never been totally happy with the focus and put this partially down to the manual focus control and trying to squint at the screen.

Anyway, at the weekend we were watching for about 3 hours straight and as I thought the focus was a bit soft, I adjusted it, I lucked out and standing with my nose to the screen I could just barely see the pixel edges so sharpness was great and the picture nice and bright.

Yesterday I powered the unit on and was immediately disappointed with the picture, it was far more dull and fuzzy - we continued to watch (TV) and over the course of the next 40 mins+ the picture brightened noticeably and became much sharper.

Is this normal behaviour or do I have a bad unit or bulb? It's been like this since day one I believe and I also find it a little louder than I had expected (low lamp mode).

Additionally, my previous projector, HC5000, would come on in high-lamp and after a couple of mind drop down to low lamp if that mode was set. I don't think the Sony does that - maybe this is why people are saying the lamp stays brighter longer.

Thoughts, comments and comparisons would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andy
post #2403 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
FYI... You can now order the TDGBR750 glasses on Amazon. I ordered two pairs, with a delivery date of Friday. I can't wait to try these out with my 30, as they look very comfortable.

I've been waiting on these since the CES announcement and been holding off on the Monsters until I could give these a spin. If they aren't what I'm hoping for, I'll return and order some Monsters.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #2404 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 07:07 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
^ Let us know what you think?
post #2405 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

FYI... You can now order the TDGBR750 glasses on Amazon. I ordered two pairs, with a delivery date of Friday. I can't wait to try these out with my 30, as they look very comfortable.

I've been waiting on these since the CES announcement and been holding off on the Monsters until I could give these a spin. If they aren't what I'm hoping for, I'll return and order some Monsters.

It appears from the Sony esupport site that these glasses require polarized filters as the legacy glasses do. It is not apparent if the filters are included. They should for $100/pr. Let us know.

I still think for the price and comfort the Monster/Optoma RF glasses are the best option.

post #2406 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 08:05 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis.ie View Post

Yesterday I powered the unit on and was immediately disappointed with the picture, it was far more dull and fuzzy - we continued to watch (TV) and over the course of the next 40 mins+ the picture brightened noticeably and became much sharper.

Is this normal behaviour or do I have a bad unit or bulb? It's been like this since day one I believe and I also find it a little louder than I had expected (low lamp mode).

I've found that after maybe 30-45 or so minutes, the focus does become sharper. On my machine, low lamp mode is very quiet. Not totally silent, but not bothersome by any means.
post #2407 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

I'll let everyone know. If they do require filters, I may just say forget it and send them back and get the monsters. Depends on the comfort I guess.

post #2408 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 AM
LVS
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
Quote:

I'll let everyone know. If they do require filters, I may just say forget it and send them back and get the monsters. Depends on the comfort I guess.

I guess you have your sony emitter at the front of the room? I would be interested if these glasses and emitter are less placement challenged. Other than comfort that is why I went with MV3Ds.
post #2409 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVS View Post

I guess you have your sony emitter at the front of the room? I would be interested if these glasses and emitter are less placement challenged. Other than comfort that is why I went with MV3Ds.

Yep my emitter is above my screen.

post #2410 of 3317 Old 04-04-2012, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony to get filters for the new TDG-BR750's (which are to be delivered on Fri. from Amazon), and wow, what a PITA. I called the: (239) 768-7547 and explained what I needed, etc., etc. and she kept putting me on hold checking on it. She also had in my file that they had sent me filters in the past, but proceeded to tell me that they couldn't send me any because I had a projector and that I could only use the PJ1s... I told them nicely that this was a bunch of BS. Finally they transferred me to Customer Relations where I spoke with someone very nice that told me that a part # for the 750 filters was not yet available, so she couldn't send them to me. I did have her send me 3 pairs of the 50's while I was on the phone.

So in summary, I was on the phone for over an hour to find out that the filter for the glasses don't have a P/N yet. I'm still hoping that they'll be in the box when I get them on Friday.

post #2411 of 3317 Old 04-05-2012, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NNate View Post

I've found that after maybe 30-45 or so minutes, the focus does become sharper. On my machine, low lamp mode is very quiet. Not totally silent, but not bothersome by any means.

Thanks. I'll have to get a meter on it so we can determine what "very quiet" means to everyone.
post #2412 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 05:08 AM

Liked: 10
thanks alot
post #2413 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat View Post

I own Epson 3010, but the image quality on 2D and 3D bad, i'm looking for somthing higher and better in 3d quality like HD83 , HW30ES, PT-AE500,DLA-RS45.
what do you recommend HW30ES or HD83?

thanks alot

Welcome to AVS. Since you posted your question in the Sony thread, I'm guessing you're going to get a lot of recommendations in favor of the Sony. My suggestion would be to spend a few days in both the Over $3000 section and Under $3000 section and see what others say about each of the ones you mentioned. You can also search and will probably find a number of comparison threads asking similar questions you have about each one.

Visit the Lipszyc Home Theater! 1.0
2.0 done and finally posted! - Theater 2.0

And now...The Queen City Theater (3.0)
post #2414 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
They do not come with the filter, and unfortunately, there is no way to attach filters if you were able to obtain them. Unlike the kid's glasses, there is no ridge around the frame to hold the filter in place. Perhaps they can do it electrostaticly. It's too bad. First impression is that they are extremely comfortable and very stylish.

Quote:

Well, I just got off the phone with Sony to get filters for the new TDG-BR750's (which are to be delivered on Fri. from Amazon), and wow, what a PITA. I called the: (239) 768-7547 and explained what I needed, etc., etc. and she kept putting me on hold checking on it. She also had in my file that they had sent me filters in the past, but proceeded to tell me that they couldn't send me any because I had a projector and that I could only use the PJ1s... I told them nicely that this was a bunch of BS. Finally they transferred me to Customer Relations where I spoke with someone very nice that told me that a part # for the 750 filters was not yet available, so she couldn't send them to me. I did have her send me 3 pairs of the 50's while I was on the phone.

So in summary, I was on the phone for over an hour to find out that the filter for the glasses don't have a P/N yet. I'm still hoping that they'll be in the box when I get them on Friday.

post #2415 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonDono View Post

They do not come with the filter, and unfortunately, there is no way to attach filters if you were able to obtain them. Unlike the kid's glasses, there is no ridge around the frame to hold the filter in place. Perhaps they can do it electrostaticly. It's too bad. First impression is that they are extremely comfortable and very stylish.

Hmmm... there are instructions for how to put the filters on, looks like you just push them straight down on the lenses.

I assume that they don't work with the HW30 w/o the filters (meaning that they are actually in the lenses like the pj1's)?

post #2416 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hey guys,

I'm a new owner of the Sony! I bought mine lightly used (20 hours) locally and saved a few hundred bucks. That being said, the price that AVS had was a great one and if you're reading this thread and wanting to buy new I think you should give them a call or shoot them an email.

My first impressions are: I'm pretty impressed!

I went from a Benq back in the day (720 dlp) then to the panasonic 2000u and i tried, and subsequently returned, an Optoma HD3300.

The Sony blows those all out of the water in every way. I've never watch LCOS before, and i'm assuing that is how it is both smooth and sharp at the same time. There is a film-like quality that I haven't seen before. It is plenty bright in 2D on low.

If there was any one thing that i wish, it would be that 3D would be a little brighter. Even though it automatically bumps up to high, the image is sort of dim. I'm only using a 1.3 gain dalite cinema vision screen, so a higher gain screen would help.

The fact that this projector has no real downside and works great for gaming, is darn near silent, with great blacks (though i need to tweak it a bit to bring out some more of the shadow detail) just totally sold me.
post #2417 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

What settings are everyone using the NR and MPEG NR? I find it hard to tell what they are doing.
post #2418 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantMeThePower View Post

If there was any one thing that i wish, it would be that 3D would be a little brighter. Even though it automatically bumps up to high, the image is sort of dim. I'm only using a 1.3 gain dalite cinema vision screen, so a higher gain screen would help.

What size is your screen and how far did you mount it?

post #2419 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blipszyc View Post

What size is your screen and how far did you mount it?

I have a pretty small screen- 92". It is mounted 12' (approx...i'd need to measure again to tell you exactly because i've had the same mount position for all of my projectors).

I don't think its "too" dim. It still is probably a bit brighter than what is in the movie theaters. But the Optoma was brighter in 3D. Not better, just brighter. I'm not trying to put down the Sony at all. I just wish it was brighter in 3D.
post #2420 of 3317 Old 04-06-2012, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The TDR-BG750's definately did not work with the HW30 out of the box. I'm pretty disappointed as these glasses felt much like wearing a pair of sunglasses. I called Sony again, and they contacted the parts department and said that the filters still weren't available and to try calling back next week. Hopefully they are able to get these filters out to customers soon.

I really don't understand why Sony ailenates their customers who purchase ES equipment. Why not just put the filters in all their glasses like the PJ1s?

post #2421 of 3317 Old 04-07-2012, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know how to convert the #'s on page 17 in the Sony manual from 16x9 to 2.35? I'm trying to determine the best distance to mount for a scope screen if I use the zoom to crop the bars from the top and bottom.

post #2422 of 3317 Old 04-07-2012, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Hi,

Can someone point me to (or suggest) good out of the box settings? i.e. fro contrast, ...
post #2423 of 3317 Old 04-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole View Post

Hi,

Can someone point me to (or suggest) good out of the box settings? i.e. fro contrast, ...

Post #1 of this very thread.
post #2424 of 3317 Old 04-08-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaseuser View Post

Post #1 of this very thread.

thanks. Looks like I want to find some calibration disc. Maybe I am just still used to my old projector :-)

I saw some discussions about 24 Hz. My HTPC by default outputs 60Hz for this projector. What is the best option for TV (Ceton HD) and Blueray?
post #2425 of 3317 Old 04-08-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

I went from a Benq back in the day (720 dlp) then to the panasonic 2000u and i tried, and subsequently returned, an Optoma HD3300.

The Sony blows those all out of the water in every way. I've never watch LCOS before, and i'm assuing that is how it is both smooth and sharp at the same time. There is a film-like quality that I haven't seen before. It is plenty bright in 2D on low.

If there was any one thing that i wish, it would be that 3D would be a little brighter.

LCOS has a higher pixel fill ratio than DLP and even far higher than LCD, that is part of what we see when we think of the film-look. A Da-Lite HP screen would do wonders for your 3D brightness.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #2426 of 3317 Old 04-09-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

That makes a lot of sense about the pixel density, Coderguy, good point.

I'm still wondering what settings people are using for the noise reduction. Do you guys turn it on at all? What about the MPEG NR?
post #2427 of 3317 Old 04-09-2012, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

That makes a lot of sense about the pixel density, Coderguy, good point.

I'm still wondering what settings people are using for the noise reduction. Do you guys turn it on at all? What about the MPEG NR?

I have it turned off and find the HW30 has no noticeable noise. I was concerned about it, as one of "those" review sites mentioned it, but I have no idea what they were talking about.

Obviously if a Bluray has grain, you will see grain. But if the blurry doesn't have gain, you aren't going to see any noise introduced by the projector (IMHO).
post #2428 of 3317 Old 04-10-2012, 06:24 AM
WTS
AVS Special Member

Turn it off. Like MM said, if there is noise on the source then you'll see noise, if there isn't any noise then you won't see any on the screen. I haven't noticed any constant noise problem with this projector.

Walter
post #2429 of 3317 Old 04-10-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTS View Post

Turn it off. Like MM said, if there is noise on the source then you'll see noise, if there isn't any noise then you won't see any on the screen. I haven't noticed any constant noise problem with this projector.

I think my issue is that the Time Warner quality is awful on my cable box (lots of MPEG artifacts and noise). Blu Ray is a whole other story.
post #2430 of 3317 Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMyers View Post

Ok, I've shown that this is a focus problem -- not convergence I can either get the left 85% of the screen in focus or the right 15%. If I get the right 15% in focus, the left is pretty bad. The part that is out of focus tends to look like bad convergence...

Upside? Well, my convergence is very good! Quite impressive actually. At least when the focus allows one to see it.

BTW, I can absolutely see individual pixels with this bad boy. I mean this as a good thing. If you step right up to the screen, you can see the tiny pixels. Someone said they were not visible in the past. (I probably don't need to say this, but this only applies to the 85% of the screen that is sharp.)

Hi,

i have the exact same problem with my vpl-hw30es. Either most of the left side is focused and the right unfocused or vice versa. Did you find a solution for your problem?

thanks
tripiz
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page