XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2012, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe there was a thread earlier about re-wiring RF transmitter for Monster glasses so that U can eliminate SONY glasses altogether as well as the need to have Monster transmitter plugged with additional cord - is that so?
I had finally installed my HW30 on the ceiling and drooling in anticipated delivery of Denon 2112 and Micca950 on Monday )) still not totally cleared about those glasses so.
Old 05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajbolit View Post

I believe there was a thread earlier about re-wiring RF transmitter for Monster glasses so that U can eliminate SONY glasses altogether as well as the need to have Monster transmitter plugged with additional cord - is that so?
I had finally installed my HW30 on the ceiling and drooling in anticipated delivery of Denon 2112 and Micca950 on Monday )) still not totally cleared about those glasses so.

I think you actually have to build a rj45->VESA cable or something like that to get it to work, although I'm not sure why you'd want to do this as the IR->RF works pretty good.

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
Old 05-21-2012, 09:01 AM

So I finally got my Sony up this weekend, after also upgrading the screen to an older Stewart Firehawk. I think I read something about this, but can't find it now: do the Firehawks support 3D? I do get a 3D image, but the color shifts to green on the left and red to the right when looking through the glasses; it's perfectly fine in the center of the screen.

Is this expected, a polarization problem with the screen? Luckily 3D isn't really a priority, and the 2D looks absolutely great on it, but curious whether my setup would support proper 3D.

Thanks,

-Christian
Old 05-21-2012, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Apparently some screens that retain some polarization interact with the active projector/glasses system. Suggest using a matte white screen with a gain closer to unity.

Another option would be try some other active glasses, but results may be similar.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Letting people know that we are down to the last week before Sony Sure pricing goes into effect.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 05-22-2012, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Does this mean a price increase next week?

October HorrorFest Participant
Old 05-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Can someone explain how to use the mv3d glasses. Do I tape the emitter in front of the IR or something.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Just place the Monster IR receiver some place in the path of the IR signal from the emitter. Once you consistently get 4+ LEDs on the RF emitter you should be good to go.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonDono View Post

Just got my new lamp from PCRUSH. Great price and fast delivery. I measured the projector before I changed the bulb. At 400 hrs I was getting 491 lumens on low and 813 on high. With the new bulb I am getting 548 on low and 893 on high. So, if you assume that the bulbs were equal to start, the projector has only lost about 10% of it's brightness in 400 hours. Not too shabby.

Update on lamp brightness.
I'm at 1100 hours on the lamp from PCRUSH, yes we watch a lot of television and use the projector as our main tv.

Low lamp 401 lumens
High Lamp 648 lumens

I've been running on high lamp for the last 300 hours or so.
so, in low lamp it's at 73% brightness after 1100 hours.
in high lamp it's at 72.5% brightness

27% drop after 1100 hours, not too shabby
Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

So I am assuming this is a true Sony replacement bulb. It would be interesting to see if the brightness drop levels off but I agree the drops are to be expected. Have you noticed any significant color shifts as the bulb has aged?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

So I am assuming this is a true Sony replacement bulb. It would be interesting to see if the brightness drop levels off but I agree the drops are to be expected. Have you noticed any significant color shifts as the bulb has aged?

Yes, true Sony replacement. No color shift noticed.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:25 AM

hmm, I'm looking at getting one of these projectors, I hope all goes well, 3d doesnt interest me, I'm just not too sure about the lumens if it will be ok in my lounge room for the occasional day time movie.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxsaw7 View Post

hmm, I'm looking at getting one of these projectors, I hope all goes well, 3d doesnt interest me, I'm just not too sure about the lumens if it will be ok in my lounge room for the occasional day time movie.

If you would like to discuss, shoot us an email. A picture of your room and a description of your screen would help towards answering that question.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
Old 05-24-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb42 View Post

So I finally got my Sony up this weekend, after also upgrading the screen to an older Stewart Firehawk. I think I read something about this, but can't find it now: do the Firehawks support 3D? I do get a 3D image, but the color shifts to green on the left and red to the right when looking through the glasses; it's perfectly fine in the center of the screen.

Is this expected, a polarization problem with the screen? Luckily 3D isn't really a priority, and the 2D looks absolutely great on it, but curious whether my setup would support proper 3D.

Thanks,

-Christian

I'm currently experiencing this problem as well. Using a Screen Innovations Black Diamond screen. Contacted SI about the problem and they said there is some type of polarized lens that needs to go over the projector?? Surely that can't be right...

What are the chances that it's a problem with the 3D emitter or glasses? Or what else can I do to troubleshoot?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2012, 04:11 AM

I just got a Sony HW30AES today. First, I would like to thank zombie 10K and coderguy for their help with my decision. I'm fairly new to the projectors. My first projector, Pioneer Elite Pro FPJ-1 (JVC DLA RS-2) served me well. I love my Pioneer/JVC, but I always wished it was little brighter, factory specs, 600 lumens. I only spent my about 2 to 3 hours with the Sony and thought I would write a short summary about what I think of this projector. I'll be making some comparison with the FPJ-1 since that is the only other projector that I have experience with.

Compare to the JVC DLA-RS2:

1. Build Quality is good. DLA-RS2 felt better when it comes to build quality. Then again, that was their flagship back in the day.

2. Lumens - this is where HW30ES shines over DLA-RS2. Even when I had a new lamp with the RS2, it was never this bright. I had to turn down the lamp output to low to make it work with my room. I'm just hoping that the lamp doesn't dim as quickly as the ones in RS2.

3. Convergence and Focus - luckly, my HW30ES has a good convergence. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but you won't notice it from the viewing distance. I'm using 115" screen and sitting about 11 feet away from the screen. I mentioned in my earlier post that my DLA-RS2 had a perfect convergence. However, upon very close inspection; pixels on the right side was about 1/2 pixels off. Again, you can't really see this from the viewing distance. In this regard, HW30ES performs well. Its convergence is pretty consistent throughout the screen. However, overall DLA-RS2 looked better when viewing test patterns. I used tiny square grids and gradients. I feel as though gradients looked better on the DLA-RS2. I'm just nitpicking at this point. I don't mean that HW30ES performed poorly; it's just different. As for focus, I noticed that lower left and upper right corners were slightly out of focus. However, my screen could be the culprit for this. I'm not so certain that the screen is perfectly flat. Fortunately, unless you get right up to the screen, you won't really notice this either.

4. 2D Performance - HW30ES performed well, but I really do like JVC's 2D performance. Now I know why people love JVCs for their 2D performance. When you have 2 projectors side by side for a comparison, you can see these minor details otherwise you won't notice. I'm not sure what it is, but JVC just has that film quality look. This is not a fair comparison at the moment as I haven't had time to tweak with the Sony's settings. Also, I'm still used to the way my JVC looks, so we'll see how it turns out after tweaking is done. I did a quick adjustments like, turning the color down (way to punchy out of the box for my taste). I also changed the temperature to low2. I know some of you posted your personal settings; I'll search for those message and try them out. If you guys have any suggestions, I would be happy to hear it.

5. Black Levels - Contrast on HW30ES is quite impressive. However, in some scenes where there are bright areas combined with dark shadowy areas, it felt that bright areas were bit overwhelming. I'll have to play with contrast/brightness and try again. The RS2 on the other hand, handles these scenes well. However, when it comes to really dark scenes, RS2 tend to crush the blacks. I thought the HW30ES performed better with dark scenes.

3D Performance

Now, let's move onto its 3D performance. 3D was one of the reason why I got this projector. My most important factor was brighter picture and it definitely has that. I just wanted to let you know that I'm not a big fan of 3D. But, at the same time, I don't hate it either. Still, if I had a choice between watching a native 4K vs 3D, I would choose 4K over 3D any day.

I was bit disappointed that HW30ES doesn't support SBS in 1080/24P resolution. You would have to change the resolution to 720P or 1080/60,50Pi. Does anybody know why Sony doesn't support SBS in 1080/24P mode? My Sony LCD TV sure supports it. Problem doesn't end there; you'll also lose motion smoothing in these modes. OK, normally I hate motion smoothing, but it helps when you're viewing 3D. I'm one of those unfortunate ones, who suffers from headaches when wearing active 3D glasses. Like zombie 10K, I too changed my co-workers' monitor refresh rates to above 60Hz back in the CRT days. Motion smoothing seems to take the edge off a bit. Also, SBS 3D just plain sucks with this projector. I couldn't get rid of ghosting and the resolution looks horrible. This is the part where I was really disappointed. BTW, I'm using MonsterVision 3D Max with this projector. I read a lot of good things about these glasses and compare to the stock Sony glasses, these are much better. If you have a cable/sat TV provider that broadcasts 3D in SBS format and if that's going to be your main 3D viewing, I wouldn't recommend this projector. Having that said, Over and Under 3D performed pretty well. Motion smoothing is available in this mode and that's a very good thing.

Now, as for 3D blu-rays, I must admit, it exceed it my expectation. I was viewing TRON Legacy, which has a lot of dark scenes with many neon glows. I didn't see any noticeable cross-talks. It actually blew me away that you can get this quality 3D at home. Then again, this could be MonsterVision's doing. When I watched this movie with a Sony XBR HX909, one of the crappiest 3D TV out there, in my opinion (yes, I have this for the living room), there were so much cross talks that you might as well not wear any glasses. Yup, that includes MonsterVision too.

I still haven't sit through the entire 3D movie just yet. I hope it works out. 3D can be fun at first, but after watching it for about an hour, my eyes feel very fatigued.

That's it for now. Overall, I'm happy with this projector. There are some disappointments, but like everyone mentioned, it does everything well. This is what I would call, Jack of all trades, master of none projector. Maybe that was little too harsh, OK, Jack of all trades. I hope you found this summary helpful.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 372 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The HW30 looks good out of the box, but it can certainly benefit from a good calibration like any of the projectors. Start with the basics of setting the brightness and contrast controls.

There are 8 gamma settings, if you turn it off, it's relatively close to 2.2

I'm not a fan of SBS on any of the projectors, there is too much resolution loss. Tron looks good on the HW30, but there are better examples to show of it's 3D capabilities.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:28 AM

Hey guys..............i'm thinking about jumping on board with this Sony. Ive had the Sharp and enjoyed it for several years (and payed a pretty penny for it) and would like to get 3D. The Sony price is pretty good........just wondering if it will be a big upgrade performance in 2D as well from my Sharp? Guess i feel like I'm going from SHarp's flagship (at the time), to kind of a baseline Sony. What are your thoughts???
Old 05-28-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 05-28-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Which Sharp projector did you have?

The XVZ-20000
Old 05-28-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I do not have the hw30 but expect to be satisfied with 2D. If you think about the upgrade as I want similar level of 2D and 3D then you will be satisfied.
You should go see the projector before buying.
Another option is to buy a cheap dlp for 3D only but that might mess up things installation. Two projectors is not an optimal solution.

Mattias Ohlson
Old 05-28-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtchung View Post

3D Performance

Also, SBS 3D just plain sucks with this projector. I couldn't get rid of ghosting and the resolution looks horrible. This is the part where I was really disappointed. BTW, I'm using MonsterVision 3D Max with this projector.

OK, I take back what I said about SBS 3D performance with this projector. I finished the installation and I got more time to play with it this weekend. Maybe I didn't point the ir emitter directly toward the MonsterVision's receiver during my first test. I checked SBS 3D content again, now it looks much better. Crosstalk is almost completely gone. It looks pretty close to the bluray as far as ghosting goes. Resolution is still bad, but that's not the projector's fault.

Also, after doing some more tweaking, even 2D is starting to look better. I turned off all post image processing, such as film mode, auto-iris, gamma, etc. and that helped achieve the look I was looking for.

I still have much to learn about what this projector, but it is starting to really grow on me.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:34 AM

will this projector look better than the Sharp XVZ 20000?
Old 05-30-2012, 04:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I took delivery yesterday on my HW30; I did a side by side last night against my RS15. While the diiferences are subtle out of the box, I am satisfied that the Sony can be dialed in to compete with the JVC 2D. I watched the opening of Harry Potter Goblet of Fire to check out the blacks. After a rudimentary setup my wife couldn't tell which projector was the JVC.

The Sony will do until the next upgrade cycle/itch. It is a disease.

Willie
Old 05-30-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie View Post

I took delivery yesterday on my HW30; I did a side by side last night against my RS15. While the diiferences are subtle out of the box, I am satisfied that the Sony can be dialed in to compete with the JVC 2D. After a rudimentary setup my wife couldn't tell which projector was the JVC.

The Sony will do until the next upgrade cycle/itch. It is a disease.

Willie

I totally agree with you. I still haven't spend too much time tweaking the settings, but I did get the 2D PQ to look as closely as I can to my RS2. It feels like the JVC has better lens though; it just focuses better. I do miss motorized focus and zoom. On the positive side, this projector can produce much brighter picture, which I really wanted. I had to set the iris to manual operation to tone down the brightness.
Old 05-30-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I am pretty sure that when JVC gets 3D right at a modest price point I'll go back them. But this is pretty good for now. I have a stack of 3D Blu-ray to view this weekend. Should be fun.

Willie
Old 05-30-2012, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 32
We watched Puss in Boots in 3D this weekend and I really love 3D on this projector.

"..where you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Old 05-30-2012, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmag View Post

will this projector look better than the Sharp XVZ 20000?

The top of the line sharp at the time had the benefit of the larger DMD chip and high end optics. DLP by nature appears sharper due to the single chip design of the projector. Trade offs for one tech vs another.
I
The HW30 does however display a bright image with respectable contrast and it can do 3D. So I would say its a step up for for those that are considering 3D.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

you'll still need the original Sony emitter which sends the signal to the Monster Vision RF transmitter via a small IR receiver. The RF transmitter needs to be powered, a typical USB blackberry charger will do the trick.

The MV3D's are at least as effective as the Sony glasses, if not more. Try to look for some posts of mine early in this thread, I showed some comparisons of the MV3D's vs the Sony glasses and was able to reduce ghosting in certain tough movies a bit by tweaking the RF transmitter.

The device can be adjusted manually or with a laptop/software program. Adjusting manually only takes a few minutes of experimenting until 3D looks great.

These glasses are also much more comfortable than the factory Sony's in my opinion.

God bless you Zombie!

After trying many combinations of hook-ups, your very straightforward AND HELPFUL post led me to a discovery that may affect other folks who are using a home automation system. I'm using control4, and the MV3D's did not like the fact that the emitter on the projector was completely covered by the C4 IR blaster. I shifted the C4 emitter ever so slightly from center to barely off center and then taped the MV3D IR emitter right next to it(but not covering up the sony projector IR intake at all!) on the front of the projector (side where the lens is), pointed towards the screen where my Sony 3D emitter sits. The MV3D IR emitter and the Sony 3D IR emitter are both at the same level, 15 feet apart, about 1 foot from the top of the ceiling(standard height ceiling). Works like a charm now! I wasn't expecting the C4 system to impact the MV3D setup in any way since my sony glasses worked fine, but in my particular case it seemed to be the culprit, but YMMV.

For reference - I've got the projector ceiling mounted, with a Cat 5 wire running approximately 15 feet within my plastered ceiling wall to the front of the room, where the Sony emitter sits nicely on top of my screen. All models of sony glasses work perfectly - TDG-PJ1, 100s, 250s, and 50s(latter with the polarizing filters from Sony of course). I bought the Monsters because of Zombie and everyone else's opinion that they are so much more comfortable - and I certainly can attest to that fact, they are very comfortable!

My goal was to try to get the Sony glasses and the MV3D's to work at the same time - I've finally done that and it's very liberating to now have the choice to wear glasses that work as well, if not better than, the Sony glasses AND are comfortable! BTW - I'm using a Samsung phone charger, but nothing leads me to believe that the charger brand or make matters - just need to get power to the MV3D system
Old 05-31-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ good deal, i'm glad the info helped. We just had guests over and I used the HW30 since I have the original Sony glasses, a pair of the kids glasses and a few of the MV3D's. I had all of them working at the same time which was great.