7Likes

post #2581 of 3323 Old 05-31-2012, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

^^^^^ good deal, i'm glad the info helped. We just had guests over and I used the HW30 since I have the original Sony glasses, a pair of the kids glasses and a few of the MV3D's. I had all of them working at the same time which was great.

Yep, my situation exactly as well. The kid's glasses(br50's) are the only glasses I've found that fit my little one's heads without slipping off, plus since I have a boy and a girl, they love the fact their glasses are blue and pink

I got my folks a Panasonic 50 inch for Christmas last year and they haven't tried out the 3D yet since they don't have glasses. I think I just found a present for them in the MV3D glasses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 10:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryborley View Post

Yep, my situation exactly as well. The kid's glasses(br50's) are the only glasses I've found that fit my little one's heads without slipping off, plus since I have a boy and a girl, they love the fact their glasses are blue and pink

I got my folks a Panasonic 50 inch for Christmas last year and they haven't tried out the 3D yet since they don't have glasses. I think I just found a present for them in the MV3D glasses

This has probably been covered already but will just one MV Transmitter cover mulitple pairs of glasses?

JT
post #2583 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtgrunden View Post

This has probably been covered already but will just one MV Transmitter cover mulitple pairs of glasses?

you can run many MV3D glasses from the 1 transmitter.

edit: I sent you a PM on your theater's black ceiling tiles. any info is much appreciated. thanks!
post #2584 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 11:16 AM

Just wondering what picture settings people are using out there. I personally like warm picture. When I set temperature to "low2", it looks more green than warm. I also tried using "Custom4" and toning down green gain and bias, but that doesn't really look right either. According to the manual "Low1" is suppose be 6500K, but it looks much cooler than that. What settings are you guys using for your 2D setting?
post #2585 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:

you can run many MV3D glasses from the 1 transmitter.

edit: I sent you a PM on your theater's black ceiling tiles. any info is much appreciated. thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, I replied to your PM.

JT
post #2586 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

The top of the line sharp at the time had the benefit of the larger DMD chip and high end optics. DLP by nature appears sharper due to the single chip design of the projector. Trade offs for one tech vs another.
I
The HW30 does however display a bright image with respectable contrast and it can do 3D. So I would say its a step up for for those that are considering 3D.

The Sony does great 3d. i'm still working on dialing in the settings in 2d though. The colors look little "pastel" or pasty, if that makes sense , compared to the sharp. Trying to get used to it. that was my concern, while i do like the 3d, most of my viwing is still in 2d, and i wanted to make sure i wasnt downgrading in quality for that by going to the Sony
post #2587 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 01:22 PM

First off, thanks to everyone for the info in this thread. That was one long read. Mine is on its way but I have an installation question/complaint.

Who did they let write that throw distance/offset calculation (p.17)? Thankfully the table exists to a least check the solution. In order to make the answers match, you have to use the SI unit portion but the screen size in english units. So I get the throw (min/max) in SI. Convert that back to inches and the table works. Wow, talk about clunky.

Accurate enough for the throw I guess. I was hoping for a little bit of a warm fuzzing feeling regarding the offset calculation. I hate to have to guesstimate on screen placement and mount extension length.

The one thing I didn't see was spec for screen size. I assume width?

Thanks
post #2588 of 3323 Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks to the person who recommended Dave Abrams of Avical. Dave calibrated my HW30 and I have been loving the images for 5 weeks now. Highly recommend Dave's services.
post #2589 of 3323 Old 06-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Monster has a heck of a deal on these now:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=5938

Thanks for posting this. With that code someone else posted (which still worked today) that is a great deal. I finally broke down and ordered two pair. I'm not crazy about the whole RF thing and having to plug yet another device in, but so be it. Those Sony glasses are the most uncomfortable hunks of plastic I've ever put on my face and Sony (or whoever manufactured them) should be ashamed of themselves. I'm debating ordering 2 more of the Monsters.

So how close does the the little IR receiver need to be to the Sony emitter? If I have the emitter up by the screen, can I have the receiver by the projector? I assume it at least needs line of sight?
post #2590 of 3323 Old 06-02-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

Thanks for posting this. With that code someone else posted (which still worked today) that is a great deal. I finally broke down and ordered two pair. I'm not crazy about the whole RF thing and having to plug yet another device in, but so be it. Those Sony glasses are the most uncomfortable hunks of plastic I've ever put on my face and Sony (or whoever manufactured them) should be ashamed of themselves. I'm debating ordering 2 more of the Monsters.

So how close does the the little IR receiver need to be to the Sony emitter? If I have the emitter up by the screen, can I have the receiver by the projector? I assume it at least needs line of sight?

I have my emitter above my screen and the monster ir receiver sitting on top of the projector, which throws at about 14 ft...

XBL GT: DMBFiredancer
post #2591 of 3323 Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by browerjs View Post

I have my emitter above my screen and the monster ir receiver sitting on top of the projector, which throws at about 14 ft...

same here, but mine's at 15 feet - do I hear 16??? j/k
post #2592 of 3323 Old 06-04-2012, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

My projector is about 13', although my Sony emitter punches out about a foot in front of the screen wall so it will be even closer. Would be nice if I could put the Monster receiver above the ceiling tiles, but I assume it needs line of sight?

This has me thinking though...if I were to go 100% to the Monsters and bag the Sony glasses, couldn't I put BOTH the Sony emitter and Monster receiver above the ceiling tiles and out of sight?
post #2593 of 3323 Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

They also have a new 10% code I received today. FathersDay10Off2012N

These glasses are a great buy.
post #2594 of 3323 Old 06-06-2012, 06:28 AM

I just picked up this projector based mostly off what I've read in this forum. The 3D is awesome when it comes to DvD, I picked up Hubble and Meet the Robinson's and they both looked like I was at the IMAX theater, I loved it!

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that that is the only bonus.

To start with, Comcast 3D is horrible. ESPN 3D isn't too bad but its not like a DvD (not even close), HBO, Stars etc don't look good at all. It almost looks like its slightly out of sync (if that makes sense). With the DvD's looking so good and seeing a difference between ESPN3D and the other 3D stations is making me think its just the source and there is probably little I can do.

All this I could live with and still be happy but what bothers me the most is the 2D. Its not terrible and if this was my 1st projector then I would probably not even know the difference but I'm replacing my old Epson PowerLite (262A) and this Sony just doesn't compare to it. The Epson simply is much sharper and brighter.

I've been messing around with the settings trying to get a better picture, but I don't know what I'm doing. From the posts in this thread I've been able to improve the picture but it still falls a bit short of the Epson. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should be doing or looking at?

Most of all, is there anyone that has had the Epson Powerlite and this Sony? I would love to hear someone tell me that either this Sony should be able to look as good as the Epson in 2D or if the reverse is true.

I don't think the projector is faulty because the picture isn't terrible, its just not as good as the Epson. It's hard to describe what I'm seeing but I guess the closest thing would be to say the picture seems slightly pixelated or sometimes I think its too over sharp. Its really hard to describe.

I'm using it on 120 inch screen if that makes any difference.

TIA!
post #2595 of 3323 Old 06-06-2012, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog2112 View Post

I just picked up this projector based mostly off what I've read in this forum. The 3D is awesome when it comes to DvD, I picked up Hubble and Meet the Robinson's and they both looked like I was at the IMAX theater, I loved it!...
DVD looks horrible compared to BD. You should move to BD.
post #2596 of 3323 Old 06-06-2012, 09:22 AM

I've got mine Sony sharpness down to 30 on 2d sources on my 100 inch screen , and got the pixelation to go away. The Sony is pretty sharp, and my Direct Tv source is obviously no where near as good as Bluray, so it showed every flaw. I felt the same way you did at first , going from my Sharp XVZ-20000 to this Sony. I ran an additional hdmi cable and reset my sharp next to the sony and kept going back and forth between the two on different sources and got my Sony Dialed in the way i wanted. As people come over and see the Sony picture, they tell me they can relly notice the upgrade,for whatever thats worth.
post #2597 of 3323 Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog2112 View Post

The 3D is awesome when it comes to DvD, I picked up Hubble and Meet the Robinson's and they both looked like I was at the IMAX theater, I loved it!
Unfortunately I'm starting to think that that is the only bonus.
To start with, Comcast 3D is horrible. ESPN 3D isn't too bad but its not like a DvD (not even close), HBO, Stars etc don't look good at all. It almost looks like its slightly out of sync (if that makes sense). With the DvD's looking so good and seeing a difference between ESPN3D and the other 3D stations is making me think its just the source and there is probably little I can do.
All this I could live with and still be happy but what bothers me the most is the 2D. Its not terrible and if this was my 1st projector then I would probably not even know the difference but I'm replacing my old Epson PowerLite (262A) and this Sony just doesn't compare to it. The Epson simply is much sharper and brighter.
I've been messing around with the settings trying to get a better picture, but I don't know what I'm doing. From the posts in this thread I've been able to improve the picture but it still falls a bit short of the Epson. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else I should be doing or looking at?
TIA!

I think I know what you mean. I had this projector for about 2 weeks now. I'm just starting get used to it and finding its quirks. My old projector was a Pioneer FPJ1 (JVC DLS-RS2).

Same as you I was very impressed with BD 3D performance. Far better than what I expected. Any other 3D performance was underwhelming, except for top and bottom at 1080P/24 (looks almost as good as the BD). Its SBS 3D performance was very disappointing. I was able to minimize the crosstalk (is this what you mean by looks out of sync?). However, its resolution looks very bad. I think internally Sony is displaying SBS material at 480P output. Status information from the projector will say 1080P, but I call BS on that. I understand that horizontal resolution is halfed, but even vertical resolution looks reduced as well. If you popup a menu in this mode, you'll notice that menu box is twice the size as before. Anyway, going back to what you said about Comcast 3D. Does your cable box output real 3D signal or are you using SBS or TnB in the projector to convert to 3D?

As for 2D, I had to get used to Sony look from the JVC. My problem was opposite of what you were having. The JVC had that soft, warm, film-like picture that I really loved where as I thought Sony over-exaggerate the sharpness. As you can tell, I like the soft film look myself. I ended up turning down sharpness all the way down to Min to 4. To me this looked more natural, and took away the edge artifacts. I also like temperature to be warm. "Low1" setting suppose to give 6500K, but to me, it looked a little bluish. "Low2" was too low producing that green tint. I ended up using "Custom3", which starts out equivalent to "Low1", but I added more red and reduced blue. I'm quite happy with the result.

If you're used bright, sharp and poppy colors, then it may take some time get used to what you have now. I'm not saying that Sony can't get bright and sharp, not at all. With its high lamp setting, I thought was way too bright myself. Are you using this projector in your living room or a light controlled environment? It took me about a week of tweaking to get it to where I liked it. It doesn't sound like you're unhappy with the projector, just different. Unless, you have very short time-frame before you can return it; try it out for a week and see if you get used to it. If you can, try setting up your Epson side by side to run some comparison. I've been wanting to do this my JVC myself, but haven't gotten to it yet. However, I've gotten to the point where I'm happy with this projector now, so I may not need to do this anymore. I still think that JVC has an edge over Sony, but after some tweaking, Sony isn't bad. Also, it has brightness and 3D that I wanted.
post #2598 of 3323 Old 06-06-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Monday Sony made a slight adjustment to the SURE pricing policy. Enough so that the HW30AES is still a good candidate. It works for the HW30AES because there was less spread between street price and MSRP compared to the VW95 and VW1000.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #2599 of 3323 Old 06-07-2012, 06:42 AM

Is anyone using Xpand x103s with their HW30?

Xpand website says the x103s are compatible (with workaround), but doesn't say what the workaround is?

Is there an adapter that can make the x103s sync using RF instead of Infrared?

If you have an x103 and HW30, what do you think of it?

Thanks!
post #2600 of 3323 Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 AM

Xpand website says the x103s are compatible (with workaround), but doesn't say what the workaround is?

Thanks!
post #2601 of 3323 Old 06-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post

Thanks!
I'm pretty sure there are many posts on this very thread about using the Xpands with the Sony.
post #2602 of 3323 Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtchung View Post

I think I know what you mean. I had this projector for about 2 weeks now. I'm just starting get used to it and finding its quirks. My old projector was a Pioneer FPJ1 (JVC DLS-RS2).
Same as you I was very impressed with BD 3D performance. Far better than what I expected. Any other 3D performance was underwhelming, except for top and bottom at 1080P/24 (looks almost as good as the BD). Its SBS 3D performance was very disappointing. I was able to minimize the crosstalk (is this what you mean by looks out of sync?). However, its resolution looks very bad. I think internally Sony is displaying SBS material at 480P output. Status information from the projector will say 1080P, but I call BS on that. I understand that horizontal resolution is halfed, but even vertical resolution looks reduced as well. If you popup a menu in this mode, you'll notice that menu box is twice the size as before. Anyway, going back to what you said about Comcast 3D. Does your cable box output real 3D signal or are you using SBS or TnB in the projector to convert to 3D?
As for 2D, I had to get used to Sony look from the JVC. My problem was opposite of what you were having. The JVC had that soft, warm, film-like picture that I really loved where as I thought Sony over-exaggerate the sharpness. As you can tell, I like the soft film look myself. I ended up turning down sharpness all the way down to Min to 4. To me this looked more natural, and took away the edge artifacts. I also like temperature to be warm. "Low1" setting suppose to give 6500K, but to me, it looked a little bluish. "Low2" was too low producing that green tint. I ended up using "Custom3", which starts out equivalent to "Low1", but I added more red and reduced blue. I'm quite happy with the result.
If you're used bright, sharp and poppy colors, then it may take some time get used to what you have now. I'm not saying that Sony can't get bright and sharp, not at all. With its high lamp setting, I thought was way too bright myself. Are you using this projector in your living room or a light controlled environment? It took me about a week of tweaking to get it to where I liked it. It doesn't sound like you're unhappy with the projector, just different. Unless, you have very short time-frame before you can return it; try it out for a week and see if you get used to it. If you can, try setting up your Epson side by side to run some comparison. I've been wanting to do this my JVC myself, but haven't gotten to it yet. However, I've gotten to the point where I'm happy with this projector now, so I may not need to do this anymore. I still think that JVC has an edge over Sony, but after some tweaking, Sony isn't bad. Also, it has brightness and 3D that I wanted.

Thanks, between your post and KingMags it sounds like I should be able to get there if I keep playing with it. I just wish it wasn't so hard, anyone in the Mass area that does professional calibrations? smile.gif
post #2603 of 3323 Old 06-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoHo View Post

I'm pretty sure there are many posts on this very thread about using the Xpands with the Sony.

I've searched the thread 3 times and found nothing about achieving the x103 'work-around'
post #2604 of 3323 Old 06-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabrielKnight View Post

I've searched the thread 3 times and found nothing about achieving the x103 'work-around'

Did you see this post by Zombie? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1353988/official-sony-vpl-hw30-a-es-owners-thread/780#post_20912072

Seems they work, but with flashing (though I'm not clear how prominent).
post #2605 of 3323 Old 06-09-2012, 09:31 AM

The 103's do work. You just have to turn the glasses brightness down to 3, or they'll flash ever 10 seconds.
post #2606 of 3323 Old 06-13-2012, 01:53 PM

Anyone compared this Sony to the Epson 5010?
post #2607 of 3323 Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingmag View Post

Anyone compared this Sony to the Epson 5010?

yes, click on the link in my signature.
post #2608 of 3323 Old 06-15-2012, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 19
If anyone needs glasses please hit me up, I have had them listed here and ebay, I have 3 pair od the br50 glasses for 30 bucks a piece, they include the filter to work with the hw30es projector...if this is against the rules I am sorry I am not going to spam this just putting it out here to save people money, plus like I said it was listed in the avs forum directory for 3 weeks...the glasses are brand new with maybe one movie watched on them.
post #2609 of 3323 Old 06-20-2012, 08:56 AM

After weeks of finishing my setup and cabling everything I finally started watching things!

dsc1314t.jpg

I just used the out of the box settings recommended by Tom for now (except I turned Flow Motion off) with the lamp on Low and it looks great! Can't wait to calibrate this puppy.
I haven't really calibrated Sound yet either because I lost my setup mic (I ordered a new one on ebay) but it was still awesome!!

I really wanted to thank you all, most of all Jason, but also everyone else and of course Mike from AVS.
post #2610 of 3323 Old 06-21-2012, 07:45 AM

Liked: 13
That looks nice what size and type screen are you using
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page